Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Russell Pounders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Billy oval office Slayers

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Gagaing for it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Magical McManus Men

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The choking rabbits

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

<:mad:>

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Melbourne Thundercocks

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

At a work conference for the rest of the week, but will be signing up when I get back. Still working on the punny name...

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Remember to Packer Suitcase

(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=suitcase)

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

I've had to make a "antics" related played rotation from my fantasy football side less than 24hrs after i put the team together...i love my footy!!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Going to add:

Sezer's Palace
The Kelly Gang
The Old Bailey

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

See if you can spot it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Ferguson

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
You know, in the USA most people convert to Islam AFTER they go to prison.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

chickie schnity?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken schnitzel!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Don't know how much traction this story has over there but at least 6 Kiwis (SBW included) have been implicated in a "game" involving taking sleeping pills and energy drinks seeing who can stay awake the longest the night before the loving grand final. The drugs are not banned substances but are prescription drugs allegedly supplied by Brett Seymour.

Apparently these players were wandering around like zombies on match day.

I've tried really hard to defend SBW since I think most of the flak he cops is rubbish but if this is true then that's it for me.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'm stunned that it was SBW, to be honest. I thought the whole sleeping pills and energy drinks thing was an attempt to get around the team's alcohol ban, and I thought SBW had given up drinking as part of his conversion to Islam.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah, seriously. SBW seemed like he was taking his health extremely seriously the last few years. Oh well, maybe I can overtake him in the abs contest I have decided to have with him this year.

EDIT: Wait was this the NRL Grand Final or the World Cup Grand Final?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 1, 2014

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

I'm stunned that it was SBW, to be honest. I thought the whole sleeping pills and energy drinks thing was an attempt to get around the team's alcohol ban, and I thought SBW had given up drinking as part of his conversion to Islam.

It comes from Tony Veitch's show, and his main source is pretty clearly Tony Kemp who is as close to the squad as you can be without being employed by NZRL anymore. Veitch said no Warriors were among the names he knows about but apparently it's prevalent in certain clubs.

edit: He interviewed the CEO today who was pretty upfront about it all without naming names so it appears they aren't denying it happened.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, seriously. SBW seemed like he was taking his health extremely seriously the last few years. Oh well, maybe I can overtake him in the abs contest I have decided to have with him this year.

EDIT: Wait was this the NRL Grand Final or the World Cup Grand Final?

World Cup. There was a story that the team had a closed door meeting to address the issue during the tournament, but players kept doing it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Who knew that getting shitfaced immediately before playing an intensely physical skill-intensive sport against the best players in the world would result in crushing defeat? :suicide:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Thinking about this a little more, everyone involved needs to be named and shamed. Coming up with a workaround to get past a team alcohol ban is already dumb, but then combining it with a stupid high school level game before THE WORLD CUP loving FINAL is absurd.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Thinking about this a little more, everyone involved needs to be named and shamed. Coming up with a workaround to get past a team alcohol ban is already dumb, but then combining it with a stupid high school level game before THE WORLD CUP loving FINAL is absurd.

It's an employment contract thing so the NZRL won't be naming names. When the ANZAC squad is announced we'll have a fair indication or I'm sure you could find the names online in due course.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
"Hell, we're going to lose anyway"
"We won the last time. We can do it again!"
"Meh, pass the No-Doz"

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ashley Madison wants to sponsor the Sharks. "Life is short. Have an affair."

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
http://m.foxsports.com.au/league/nr...u-1226815719561

Brooks is the messiah, and probably was born in a log cabin on a sacred mountain.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

http://m.foxsports.com.au/league/nr...u-1226815719561

Brooks is the messiah, and probably was born in a log cabin on a sacred mountain.

I am excited to see him play, and fully expect him to emulate tedesco and do an ACL 30 minutes into round one, sending us all into severe depression.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Well if the messiah goes down the Tigers can call on Moses instead.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pat Richards will single bootedly win us every game just by hitting 50 metre field goals over and over again. It works in my 360 game so I can't imagine it won't work in real life. Brb putting my coaching application into Concord Oval, look out Mick potter.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I can't wait for Brooks to join that ever-growing list of NRL players in trouble off field. Nothing against the guy personally, I'd just like to be able to say he's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
Any British super league fans fancy starting a separate thread for the SL and Championships? It gets us away from the Aussies making us jealous of their higher salary cap.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I dunno, I think that would also belong here if the thread title were less specific to NRL. The Union thread covers all Union content basically.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

How about if I politely ask a mod to change the title, and someone gives me something super league related to put in the OP? I doubt there's enough league interest to keep two threads alive...

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

iajanus posted:

How about if I politely ask a mod to change the title, and someone gives me something super league related to put in the OP? I doubt there's enough league interest to keep two threads alive...

This is what we've been doing and it seems to work pretty well. You're right, there's barely any SL chat, certainly not enough for its own thread when we've got this

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I never post about Super league because I thought these threads had little to no interest in it, and I didn't think there were enough of us to have our own thread.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Just bump the Nrl thread from 3 years ago and it'll basically be the SL thread

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I'll not object to turning this into a general RL thread. Would distract me about how shite the Tigers are going.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought this was the NRL + all other league thread.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It was, I just forgot to call it as such and inexplicably named it Nrl 2014. Possibly because of alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been told that on Saturday February 8 Festival of Indigenous Rugby League
Newcastle Knights v First Nations Goannas will be showing on NITV

• Locked thread