Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AceFace905 posted:

Well that answers my question about kid-friendliness :3:

That wasn't at the track, nor was it in 2005 - that was this last May at the Andretti Autosport HQ.

We did actually take her to Carb Day and the 500, though! But IMS does at least loosely enforce a minimum age into Gasoline Alley (there it's 12, I think); check with Pocono to see if they have a similar restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
More IndyCar PR :doh:

"Marshall Pruett posted:

The IndyCar Series has a rather large PR presence at the Rolex 24, including staff members from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Among the items they've distributed is a list of IndyCar drivers competing in this weekend's endurance race, but, and this is more of an annoyance than anything of great importance, they've opted to only acknowledge the drivers in the field with their 2014 plans in place.

They've highlighted 10 drivers, leaving Sebastian Saavedra, E.J. Viso, Tristan Vautier, James Davison and others who took part in the 2013 season out of their press releases. With the series needing to grow its media presence, the choice to limit the volume of drivers it mentions to the assembled media. Throw in some of the up-and-coming open-wheel stars here – Sage Karam and Gabby Chaves, in particular – out of their missives.

The tactic might make sense to some, but I'm struggling to find the logic behind it all.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Matt Archuleta ‏@indy44 1m
Robin Miller tells @JMV1070 he's talking to @MAVTV about a TV show. If that happens I'm getting @DIRECTV. #IndyCar

I think I need MAVTV.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Racer.com has a great little piece about the rivalry between Michael Andretti and Little Al: http://www.racer.com/great-rivalries-al-unser-jr-vs-michael-andretti/article/330877/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Rumor on twitter right now is that Oriol Servia will be joining Graham Rahal at RLL!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Rumor on twitter right now is that Oriol Servia will be joining Graham Rahal at RLL!

This would be awesome, though it leaves me worrying a bit more for Simona, even if a RLL seat would be a step down from her KV seat last year.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hahahhaah nice new av.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Hahahhaah nice new av.

I try, and this time I even managed to not screw up the year (by not including it at all)! :pseudo:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Tonight, as I was leaving a WWE event in Canton, Ohio, I spied an IRL safety SUV in the parking deck. I have no idea why it was there. :iiam:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm a little surprised that ESM, Pickett, and Dyson havn't considered doing what Newman-Haas when Can-Am was in decline back in the 70's.

Galles, Newman, Carl Haas, and Hogan all went to CART for example. Every last one of them saw success in terms of wins, championships, and Indy 500 victories.

(Not to say I wish any ill-will on the sport car series, but it just doesn't seem the same without the LMP's.)

It seems in theory to make sense because they seem to have sponsors, a team and everything else in place with the exception of a DW-12.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What's the use in going from one series with a decent future to one who's future is up in the air every few minutes?

(You just want to new teams to come and form CART 2.1 though don't you)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Personperson14 posted:

What's the use in going from one series with a decent future to one who's future is up in the air every few minutes?

I thought everyone knew that FuzzySkinner is the sock account for Mark Plourde.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pickett was at least flirting with that last year, but dropped from P1 to P2 and got a works money deal from Nissan for P2 this year.

But like I said a long while before, money marks like Pickett are what the series need. Guys who run decently-sized businesses who love to throw money at their racing habit. Hell, that's my dream: make a fortune, sponsor my own team, and run two cars -- one to compete, and one to be a gentleman racer with.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

^^^
Beaten!

Personperson14 posted:

Pretty much, not going to lie.

Series needs more owners involved it honestly.

Chip, Michael, and Roger are awesome dudes, but the more people you can have tossing money at it, the better.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

FuzzySkinner posted:

^^^
Beaten!

Pretty much, not going to lie.

Series needs more owners involved it honestly.

Chip, Michael, and Roger are awesome dudes, but the more people you can have tossing money at it, the better.

Will they get to ride the San Jose tracks again?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Problem with Extreme Speed is Ed Brown. He's the gentleman driver of that team and he wants to race... and he has the money if they want to play since he's the CEO of Patron. No racing for him, no racing for ESM.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Personperson14 posted:

I think the one "who's future is up in the air every few minutes" is, by default, the american sports car racing series

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the one "who's future is up in the air every few minutes" is, by default, the american sports car racing series

Eh I give American sportscar racing props for having an ok last decade, late 90s dear god... IMSA -> PSCR -> ALMS and breaking away from IMSA -> SCCA/USRRC -> Grand-Am. They've been keeping constant of being able to race where Indycar at times last decade, they came close to be being on the death bed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BMB5150 posted:

Problem with Extreme Speed is Ed Brown. He's the gentleman driver of that team and he wants to race... and he has the money if they want to play since he's the CEO of Patron. No racing for him, no racing for ESM.

But they run two cars so that's fine.

I'm with Harper on that plan. If I only had the money for one car though it'd be the loser car. And I don't think I'd team myself with good drivers either, I think I'd be running in PC with my brother and cousin (both of whom are at least as good as the average gentleman driver).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

But they run two cars so that's fine.

I'm with Harper on that plan. If I only had the money for one car though it'd be the loser car. And I don't think I'd team myself with good drivers either, I think I'd be running in PC with my brother and cousin (both of whom are at least as good as the average gentleman driver).

well in certain series you have to run somebody of a certain grade (FIA/IMSA/ACO grading system) in order to get on the grid, I don't think anyone in GT-Am runs a completely amateur team. What's the fun in only running a national series when the people you want to rub elbows with are spending just a little more to get into those bigger series? Hire somebody fast to partner with your goofy rear end and go have fun with the big guys. Somewhere between Roger "taking this incredibly seriously" Penske and Lord Hesketh, basically.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Running in sportscars is a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot more chill than running in a series like IndyCar or a NASCAR touring series. The garage vibe in sportscars is waaaaaaaaaay more relaxed. IndyCar is people spending a lot of money and its much more tense and cutthroat.

Dyson, Pickett, and Ed Brown have all had forays in IndyCar and gone back to sportscars and mentioned that they liked the sportscar vibe more.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, if I had money I'm running sportscars. Probably in GTD.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Andretti-Stewart-Haas Racing has a nice ring to it:

quote:

“I have Gene’s blessing, I have Tony’s blessing, I think we have even rounded up some partners that will make transportation easier,” Busch said. “Things have started to gather. I don’t know when we’ll have a decision but we now have to understand how NASCAR’s qualifying procedures will work and the time that I cannot be out of the Cup car to go and do Indianapolis stuff. We have to make sure we balance that and not sacrifice too much from the 41 Haas Automation car.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...le-stewart-haas

Real Talk, how is Michael able to do all of this?

-He's running four full time rides next season
-Has ran Indy Lights, Pro Mazda, and F2000 before.
-Has his own divisions to promote races (Andretti Sports Marketing)
-Formula E
-X-Games Rally Team (W/ Volkswagen)
-USAC Silver Crown (With Jarrett Andretti)

I'm shocked he's not been tempted to give Cup a shot. (Formula 1 is kind of outside his reach atm).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

(Formula 1 is kind of outside his reach atm).

He found that out the hard way in 1993 :v:

And the real answer at this point has got to be that Michael is an even better businessman than he was a driver - and that's saying something. If he was just pissing away his personal / family money to have fun I can't imagine it would have lasted this long or continued to grow.

It's not like his shop is hurting for space or resources, though. Even with the IndyCar program there's plenty of room for whatever side projects he has going on (you left off the ARX-01 that at least used to consume space and time there) and if anything, it's probably cheaper for a guy like him to run series all up and down the ladder. His incremental cost to add another car is going to be much lower since he's presumably leveraging the resources he's already acquired (i.e. why buy a shock dyno for every tier when they can all share one or two).

Also, that USAC car is so delightfully simple sitting next to a DW12 and a Pro Mazda.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 28, 2014

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

IOwnCalculus posted:

He found that out the hard way in 1993 :v:

Oh snap.

Also, :golfclap: on the new title.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Andretti-Stewart-Haas Racing has a nice ring to it:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...le-stewart-haas

Real Talk, how is Michael able to do all of this?

-He's running four full time rides next season
-Has ran Indy Lights, Pro Mazda, and F2000 before.
-Has his own divisions to promote races (Andretti Sports Marketing)
-Formula E
-X-Games Rally Team (W/ Volkswagen)
-USAC Silver Crown (With Jarrett Andretti)

I'm shocked he's not been tempted to give Cup a shot. (Formula 1 is kind of outside his reach atm).

He's running Geoff Brabham's kid in Indy Lights next year, or something.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Welp just received a phone call from IMS because the section where my seats are is being demolished. Not the entire area, literally just my one single section (#32)

Old Seats (TK's pit stall was right in front of my seats last year :smugdog:)

So I was given the opportunity to relocate, and I chose these seats (literally where my mouse is pointing) :smaug:

My new seats are right next to the Pagoda and right around the corner from Victory Lane and Gasoline Alley.

:siren:I also asked about Bronze Badge and they are mailing info hopefully at the end of this week, price: $125:siren:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seabass with a smooth pit entry in the 24. Certainly better than his at Indy this year (burned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHT0w0558o

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Go TK and this Wild West Damsel:

e- ^^ Found it.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm curious what Chip is going to do with Sage Karem.

I mean he's running him in the 24 hours this weekend, and I wonder if he's priming him to eventually run for him in Indy.

Problem is, there's no way in hell they're running 5 cars. That'd be rather unprecedented. (Andretti Autosport not withstanding).

Still, the move would be rather amazing if he could pull it off. Imagine if he finds a way to make his Stock car team actually relevant and able to run up front with Larson? The kid clearly has the talent to be something special.

You add in the fact that perhaps he's positioning Karem to run the 10 or 9 in a few years (potentially the 8 sooner), that could be an amazing thing for him.

FS1 said during their Sunday coverage of the Rolex 24 that Ganassi is trying to get funding to run a second DP full-time with Karem and Marino Franchitti.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 29, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Seabass with a smooth pit entry in the 24. Certainly better than his at Indy this year (burned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHT0w0558o

I watched that one live and I remember thinking out loud that if he was gonna pit that he either needed to quickly get around the GTD car or brake early and get behind the GTD car. I guess when your lead is < 10sec with about 1 hour left every second counts. I was impressed that he made it down to pit speed before the line :bravo:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Holy poo poo, I missed that. Pro as gently caress :psyduck:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Things keep getting better for Kurt Busch to run in both the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 this year

quote:

NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Kurt Busch, who completed the Indianapolis 500 Rookie Orientation Program during a test last May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, believes his chances are “70 percent” that he’ll have a ride for the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 25.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Is there any particular reason Indy's not going to the Circuit of the Americas? I'd love to take in some open wheel circuit racing at not-F1 prices.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

Is there any particular reason Indy's not going to the Circuit of the Americas? I'd love to take in some open wheel circuit racing at not-F1 prices.

It may in 2015.

2014 is a "Transition year" and it's been hinted that COTA wants on the schedule.

Hopefully in 2015, we're discussing COTA, Road America, Phoenix and Chicagoland being on the schedule.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

DOOMocrat posted:

Because it's the worst circuit in the world and Indy shouldn't degrade itself by running there. They should keep the rich history of running parking lots. TILKEDROME AAHHHHhhhh!!!!!!1111!!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I figured it was some political "Should we run two races in Texas?" thing but if there is never open wheel racing at TMS again I'll be a happy camper.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

front wing flexing posted:

Because it's the worst circuit in the world and Indy shouldn't degrade itself by running there. They should keep the rich history of running parking lots. TILKEDROME AAHHHHhhhh!!!!!!1111!!

Unironically agreed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DOOMocrat posted:

I figured it was some political "Should we run two races in Texas?" thing but if there is never open wheel racing at TMS again I'll be a happy camper.

They already run two races in Texas as it is, so it isn't that.

Cygni posted:

Unironically agreed.

Same.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cannot Find Server posted:

They already run two races in Texas as it is, so it isn't that.

Technically they run three races in Texas. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It may in 2015.

2014 is a "Transition year" and it's been hinted that COTA wants on the schedule.

Hopefully in 2015, we're discussing COTA, Road America, Phoenix and Chicagoland being on the schedule.

Lime Rock Park. I don't care how much of a logistics nightmare it would be to have a race in the middle of the NW Connecticut woods. :colbert:

• Locked thread