Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

It was answered already, but yeah, nothing too bad considering. The thing is though, from a Western perspective they lost way too much. The F-15 that went down in Libya during the NATO intervention was the head of the news cycle for two days IIRC, and that just crashed, wasn't a combat loss.

The losses were to be expected in an air war against a modern foe, it's just that people in the NATO nations aren't used to our planes going down like that, usually because they defeat Russian jets or AA.

They lost more aircraft than was expected, there was a lot of friendly fire, and they were unable to keep the few Georgian combat aircraft from mounting combat sorties until the end of hostilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: people really vastly understate the importance of the Crimea in how mid-century Europeans thought about war. It was the most heavily reported war yet to date as far as newspaper coverage went, and the first one in Europe to incorporate a lot of the modern improvements that we also see in the US Civil War. gently caress, half the early Confederate Army was basically armed with Crimean War surplus.

I have no idea if it's true, but I read something a long time ago that McClellan was unfairly portrayed as a coward in the Civil War, that the reality was that he was exposed to what happened in the Crimea and his abundance of caution and desire for huge force advantages was due to his desire to avoid the kind of horrendous slaughter he'd seen. Any truth to that? I know Ken Burns was pretty one-sided with his portrayal.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I have no idea if it's true, but I read something a long time ago that McClellan was unfairly portrayed as a coward in the Civil War, that the reality was that he was exposed to what happened in the Crimea and his abundance of caution and desire for huge force advantages was due to his desire to avoid the kind of horrendous slaughter he'd seen. Any truth to that? I know Ken Burns was pretty one-sided with his portrayal.
Bruce Catton painted a much fairer picture of McClellan, I think. He explained how McClellan relied heavily upon quite faulty intelligence from Pinkerton regarding the size of confederate forces. McClellan's actions actually look quite bold at times if you consider he often believed he was outnumbered 2:1; they tend to look folly only with 20/20 hindsight and a complete historical picture from both sides. He was never a great general in the way Lee and Jackson were, but his ultimate removal after Antietam was not due to his performance, but rather politics; he was a staunch anti-abolitionist, and active politically, and Lincoln felt he couldn't leave him in power after making the emancipation proclamation.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
McClellan ran against Lincoln in '64 and the South's strategy by that point revolved around him or someone like him ascending to the Presidency.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Warbadger posted:

They lost more aircraft than was expected, there was a lot of friendly fire, and they were unable to keep the few Georgian combat aircraft from mounting combat sorties until the end of hostilities.

I asked you where you got the last bit from in the discussion we had about this some time ago, when I said that according to the AAR I linked all but one attack on Russian ground forces by aircraft was actually friendly fire - i.e. Georgian aircraft might not have been flying sorties until the end of hostilities. Can you link to anything stating otherwise?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mazz posted:

Okay, I should clarify that I'm not arguing about how stealthy the design actually is, just that it does have a lot of specific RCS improvements over legacy fighters while being as worried about flight performance as it is RCS in a lot of its design.

I'm not arguing it's ever going to be as stealthy as the F-35, let alone the F-22, I'm just arguing that what grover is doing is seemingly dismissing the entire aircraft because of what he sees in pictures, without actually reading into Sukhoi design philosophy. And that really boils down to them opting for performance in as many places as stealth, and freely admit the compromises they've had to make. I personally think this is a pretty logical argument when you consider the advances in sensors (especially IRST) and how the engagements of previous air wars have often played out once poo poo actually hit the fan.

Here's the problem: All the contouring in the world isn't going to help that jet if it's still got the rear end end of a Flanker and a bunch of other little things that reflect radar. It doesn't take much to send a meaningful return, frankly. Big deal...they reduce 80% of the RCS of that enormous loving barn door so instead of seeing it at 250 miles now I'm only seeing at 150, and the F-22 is still gonna see it at whatever his max is. If that aircraft goes into production as-is, its overseas success will be determined by how its cost compares to export Flankers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Koesj posted:

How was Boeing solving this particular problem with what was supposed to become F-32, then?

I'm not sure they did, actually. But the JSF wasn't shooting for F-22 levels of stealth.

quote:

And if Sukhoi already worked with S-ducts on the Su-47, then why not just carry it over to T-50?
I found a couple of pictures I'd never seen before, and I think what Sukhoi did was just cant the engines outward in the back, so the inlet duct isn't quite the straight-shot I thought it was. I'd still love to get a look down the intakes, though.

Do you mean between them, or the shaping over the engines themselves?
Yes. Again, the JSF had a lower threshold to meet, but yeah I consider the shaping over its engine problematic as well. The YF-23's section between the engines isn't a big flat section either...that's not necessarily unstealthy, but keep in mind the F-22 and YF-23 are using 3rd+ generation stealth coatings. While I'm positive the Russians are well beyond F-117 tech, I'd be very surprised if they can match or outclass the US' new stuff.

quote:

Yes but they're supposed to get updated ones with the first production run, and entirely new ones around 2020. I don't know whether those are vaporware, or if NPO Saturn can deliver, but F-22/F-35 are developmentally in the same boat with the spiral updates, albeit not with something as major as their engines.
Yes, and we're all supposed to be driving hovercars and the Cubs are supposed to win the World Series next year. The Russians expect to have a completely new family of engines with substantial improvements across the board from the AL-31/41 family in 3 years from opening the sketch book to clamping into the test tunnel. That seems ambitious.

quote:

What do you mean?

Engine nozzles. They're the exact same ones as the Flankers.

Edit: I don't want to make it sound like this jet sucks or anything. I think it's probably pretty badass for what it is...a first effort at a stealth fighter which should be in the early stages of testing and development. But the hype and claims all seem a bit like the MiG-25 all over again.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

I'm not sure they did, actually. But the JSF wasn't shooting for F-22 levels of stealth.
In every photo I've seen of the X-32 during the fly-off where the compressor blades should have been visible... they weren't. I can't find any for reference right now, but I'm pretty sure Boeing put something in that intake to block it; I think it's a laterally split S curve (you can see a central pillar in one of the static models). T-50's intake isn't suitable for an S-inlet, and doesn't appear to be suitable for a stealth grating, either- if one were installed, it might block return from the compressor blades, but would end up reflecting energy straight back out the inlet. It only worked on the F-117 because of the angle of it.

e:

grover fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 29, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

That was the other thing about the NNAM: it's filled with docents. They're all older guys, some of them in their eighties and nineties. They're all veterans, many of them combat veterans. Chat them up, its absolutely worth your time.

First time I was there the guy standing in front of Que Sera Sera talking about the mission was...part of the crew who flew Que Sera Sera to the South Pole.

So that was pretty cool.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
So I guess we're all broadly in agreement? PAK-FA won't ever reach F-22 levels of all-aspect stealth, probably needs some kind of highly innovative solution to get the compressor blades out of the way with regards to radar returns, and there won't be an optimal engine during its initial production version(s) at least?

This 'discussion' started off with someone commenting that the T-50 "seems like yet another in a long line of vaporware russian prototypes they don't have the money to properly develop, letalone build in significant numbers", and I pretty much only tried to dispel that notion.

e: spelling

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.
I know I am a little late. But, another nice thing about the museum at Pensacola is that the ambient lighting is pretty great for taking pictures. Its my favorite aviation museum.

SB2U Vindicator

Curtiss F6C-1 Hawk

There is a small set from the 'Air Zoo' in Kalamazoo MI there as well. But it was all dark and overhead lighting which i didnt really like.

SR71

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That first one looks more like an Avenger.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

StandardVC10 posted:

That first one looks more like an Avenger.

It is, but they do have a Vindicator there as well. Only Wind-Indicator left in existence, incidentally.

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.
oops...I guess I goofed up when reading the placards.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Koesj posted:

I asked you where you got the last bit from in the discussion we had about this some time ago, when I said that according to the AAR I linked all but one attack on Russian ground forces by aircraft was actually friendly fire - i.e. Georgian aircraft might not have been flying sorties until the end of hostilities. Can you link to anything stating otherwise?

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13567880802482243?journalCode=tstc20

That paper, though the original link is now down and I can't find one that isn't behind a paywall anymore. It was by the International Institute for Strategic Studies and indicated that the Georgians were able to fly sorties against Russian troops in and around Tskhinvali until at least the 11th of August.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Warbadger posted:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13567880802482243?journalCode=tstc20

That paper, though the original link is now down and I can't find one that isn't behind a paywall anymore. It was by the International Institute for Strategic Studies and indicated that the Georgians were able to fly sorties against Russian troops in and around Tskhinvali until at least the 11th of August.

Nice, I'll see if I can access it somehow.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Koesj posted:

So I guess we're all broadly in agreement? PAK-FA won't ever reach F-22 levels of all-aspect stealth, probably needs some kind of highly innovative solution to get the compressor blades out of the way with regards to radar returns, and there won't be an optimal engine during its initial production version(s) at least?

This 'discussion' started off with someone commenting that the T-50 "seems like yet another in a long line of vaporware russian prototypes they don't have the money to properly develop, letalone build in significant numbers", and I pretty much only tried to dispel that notion.

e: spelling

Yeah, I was more or less arguing that there's potential in the PAK-FA to be a reasonable concern to western air forces, not so much because it was a super plane, just that's its an evolution of the flanker family whose design makes enough sense if you're not going balls deep on stealth. There is a lot of obvious problems yes, but at the same time it's got a lot of potential/creativity/logic there in a world where Russia isn't quite as flat loving broke as they were 10-20 years ago.

I never considered it a real concern for us (especially because I don't see that conflict remotely happening any time soon), just more that if it shows up at a reasonable point it's a pretty good competitor on the export market. You could probably find customers interested in it who want to dick wave a "5th gen" stealth fighter to their neighbors and its coming in a good 20-30m below the flyaway of the F-35. I asked specifically about the weight/performance Grover mentioned because all the figures I've seen put it at very comparable in weight to the Su-35 but with payload reduced by the internal storage and supposedly a far greater fuel range (idk if that's with or w/o external tanks). At the same time I don't outright trust those numbers so I'd be completely open to more if there are any.

I also view it as more credible then the Chinese offerings because the Chinese barely even have things like a domestic engine industry.

But yeah, there's really no way I see it being a true competitor to the 22, at least not any time soon. Maybe the f-35 on an individual airframe comparison, but that's a pretty speculative comparison considering both are still more or less in the "loving mess" of the design phase.

But I definitely second the sentiment that planes need be strictly judged on how they perform in Ace Combat. I'm still really sad that last one is an MMO or whatever. 4+5 are two of my favorite games ever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 29, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

In every photo I've seen of the X-32 during the fly-off where the compressor blades should have been visible... they weren't. I can't find any for reference right now, but I'm pretty sure Boeing put something in that intake to block it; I think it's a laterally split S curve (you can see a central pillar in one of the static models). T-50's intake isn't suitable for an S-inlet, and doesn't appear to be suitable for a stealth grating, either- if one were installed, it might block return from the compressor blades, but would end up reflecting energy straight back out the inlet. It only worked on the F-117 because of the angle of it.

e:

Again, the Pak Fa's engines aren't straight front to back. There is an s-curve...find a top-down image. Also, I hope you're not relying on pictures of a static display or mockup for the YF-32 conclusion, because you're not gonna see blades down there regardless of the design. That picture you posted is worthless...there's no engine so of course you can't see any engine bits.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Koesj posted:

Nice, I'll see if I can access it somehow.

If I remember correctly they also mentioned shortages of FLIR/NV equipment, limiting the Russians to daylight missions.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Sorry if this is a dumb question because I know nothing about the design of LO aircraft: Does whats in the cockpit affect radar returns, or does the canopy itself absorb/block it? Referring to that X-32 pic I see a big rounded bubble canopy and then a lot of bits inside that look like they would reflect radar.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slamburger posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question because I know nothing about the design of LO aircraft: Does whats in the cockpit affect radar returns, or does the canopy itself absorb/block it? Referring to that X-32 pic I see a big rounded bubble canopy and then a lot of bits inside that look like they would reflect radar.

Look at an F-22.

Notice how the canopy is gold tinted in certain light? That's gold. Metallic gold, in the canopy, to make it radar-opaque.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Mazz: extended range for certain combat loads is a plausible claim for a stealth aircraft due to the reduction in drag from carrying the ordinance internally. If they're referring to supercruise, that's a bit more sketchy of a claim as even when an aircraft CAN supercruise, it burns more fuel from the extra drag of high supersonic flight, and range is reduced vs a subsonic profile. The stealth profile forces a number of compromises in aerodynamics and structural strength, though, which leads to additional weight & drag vs a comparable non-stealthy aircraft. These problems are not necessarily impossible to overcome, but it takes a shitload of time, money, and understanding, and PAK-FA appears to be pretty much an Su-35S with an F-22 costume and I do not expect it to have all-around inferior performance to the Su-35S in every way but a slightly reduced RCS. Like Godholio said, maybe you detect it at 150 miles now instead of 250, but that's not really "stealth" in the way we think of it.

Godholio posted:

Again, the Pak Fa's engines aren't straight front to back. There is an s-curve...find a top-down image. Also, I hope you're not relying on pictures of a static display or mockup for the YF-32 conclusion, because you're not gonna see blades down there regardless of the design. That picture you posted is worthless...there's no engine so of course you can't see any engine bits.
No, I'm recalling old photos of the X-32 during the competition, but I can't find any online. That static model (w/o engine) was the closest photo I could find. There's another static model with the engine removed where you can see daylight straight through it, so whatever is in the intake is either removable or redacted for display purposes. Boeing was the leading stealth expert at that point and the X-32's design was driven primarily by stealth; they had some way of hiding the compressors, there's little question of that. I'm honestly surprised the russians didn't so much as throw a grating over the intake, though.

T-50 PAK-FA's intake appears to be bent for aerodynamic/packaging reasons, not for stealth.

For comparison, Su-35S:

e: goddamn those are some good looking aircraft! The non-stealthy intake is bit clearer in these shots, though:

grover fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 29, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Those last two pictures are photoshops, according to people on the Keypublishing forums and secretprojects.org, so I wouldn't rely on them too much :shrug:

I've read claims that they're going to use a radar blocker, treat the compressor face with RAM somehow, align the compressor blades like how you'd planform align control surfaces (no I'm not kidding), use grates, etc. One of those claims is bound to be true to at least some degree I guess, because if we can recognize the issue here on the internet, I'm sure the people at Sukhoi did too.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Come on now, folks. This is grover you're "discussing" with. Y'all spend more time trying to untangle his inane horse-poo poo than anything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Koesj posted:

Those last two pictures are photoshops, according to people on the Keypublishing forums and secretprojects.org, so I wouldn't rely on them too much :shrug:

I've read claims that they're going to use a radar blocker, treat the compressor face with RAM somehow, align the compressor blades like how you'd planform align control surfaces (no I'm not kidding), use grates, etc. One of those claims is bound to be true to at least some degree I guess, because if we can recognize the issue here on the internet, I'm sure the people at Sukhoi did too.
If that's true, why haven't they already done that? It looks like the good people as Sukhoi know full well their plane sucks at stealth, and clearly went to no great efforts to improve it. I suspect they just couldn't give a rat's rear end about it because the laymen of the countries likely to buy it won't know the difference. So it's just as effective a status symbol with ineffective stealth, but at a significant cost savings! As to the photoshop claims- the only "evidence" I've heard is people citing the compressors as not visible in MAKS Video (no poo poo, that's exposure 101), not that there's any evidence of actual photoshopping compressors into those photos. There are other options available to reduce the RCS- F-18 style ram gratings, for instance- but those options are very limited in the amount of obtainable RCS reduction.

Indian officials have supposedly stated (getting this 3rd hand from google, I have no primary source) that the RCS of the PAK-FA is about 0.5m2, which is awful; about on-par with the F-18E and Rafale, and vastly inferior to the F-22A (supposedly around 0.0001m2 from public sources) or F-35 (0.001m2)

China, on the other hand, appears on the surface to actually be trying to do the J-20 right. By which I mean there's much less obviously ambivalent about the design. Really hard to say at this point what the J-20 looks like on radar, though.

e: According to Aviation Week:

Aviation Week posted:

The T-50's inlets are a compromise design. They are serpentine but the curvature is insufficient to obscure the entire engine face (as on the F-22, F-35 and Eurofighter Typhoon), so they also feature a radial blocker similar in principal to that used on the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. Unlike the F-22 inlets, however, they feature a variable throat section and spill doors on the inboard, outboard and lower surfaces of the ducts. The result is a complex multiple-shock pattern at supersonic speed, which the Russians consider essential for efficient operation at Mach 2. The inlets also feature clamshell-like mesh screens and diverter slots to keep foreign objects out of the engine, as used on the Su-27 family.
The F-22 features a fixed intake for stealth reasons, btw, since all those mechanisms required for variable inlet geometry are difficult to shield, and add to the RCS.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

quote:

Mazz: extended range for certain combat loads is a plausible claim for a stealth aircraft due to the reduction in drag from carrying the ordinance internally. If they're referring to supercruise, that's a bit more sketchy of a claim as even when an aircraft CAN supercruise, it burns more fuel from the extra drag of high supersonic flight, and range is reduced vs a subsonic profile. The stealth profile forces a number of compromises in aerodynamics and structural strength, though, which leads to additional weight & drag vs a comparable non-stealthy aircraft. These problems are not necessarily impossible to overcome, but it takes a shitload of time, money, and understanding, and PAK-FA appears to be pretty much an Su-35S with an F-22 costume and I do not expect it to have all-around inferior performance to the Su-35S in every way but a slightly reduced RCS. Like Godholio said, maybe you detect it at 150 miles now instead of 250, but that's not really "stealth" in the way we think of it.

I was actually just referring to straight ferry range over the Su-35, which is really the only number I can find, and it's a good 1000 km further.

This isn't something I'm arguing though because this number is WAY too non-specific. There could be a whole host of things contributing to and against this number, like extra internal space (and weight) for more fuel, to reduced drag from the 6 internal hardpoints, and none of that is remotely clear yet considering it's not even using it's real engines, so I'll just leave it at that.

I'll just end my posting on this whole thing here for the sake of saving everyone from this speculative bullshit (I do enough of that in the wargame thread). It'll be interesting to see how it, the F-35, and the J-20/31 unfold over the next 10 years.

I still kinda hope they restart the F-22 line, but that's more of a personal love of that thing then anything else. These are two of my favorite pictures ever:

(Tempted to photoshop those testing things off the nose at some point)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 29, 2014

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lmao

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Grover, just because GiP has kicked you out doesn't mean TFR can be your new home. Your posts as about as well-constructed as your house.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Features of prototype plane as yet unknown to internet aviation nerds; news at 11.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smiling Jack posted:

Features of prototype plane as yet unknown to internet aviation nerds; news at 11.

Foreign plane-acquisition personnel less knowledgeable about planes than internet aviation nerds, special feature after the break.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

FrozenVent posted:

Foreign plane-acquisition personnel less knowledgeable about planes than internet aviation nerds, special feature after the break.

Is your costly 5th Generation All-In-One plane a costly failure? Field reporter Brian Fantana investigates!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

Come on now, folks. This is grover you're "discussing" with. Y'all spend more time trying to untangle his inane horse-poo poo than anything.

Best beware them 13 foot high Mujahadeen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smiling Jack posted:

Is your costly 5th Generation All-In-One plane a costly failure? Field reporter Brian Fantana investigates!

Special report at 11 on the deadly "Choking Game" sweeping our nation's airfields. We have the information you need to know to talk to your F22 pilot.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is your nation planning on making its single most expensive purchase ever on the basis of "No gently caress you dad, you can't tell me what to do"? The answer may surprise you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Five government programs designed to help you care for your special needs F-35 and all the latest sports news, tonight at 6.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
This one weird trick helps reduce RADAR cross section.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PhotoKirk posted:

This one weird trick helps reduce RADAR cross section.

SAM operators HATE him.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Cyrano4747 posted:

Special report at 11 on the deadly "Choking Game" sweeping our nation's airfields. We have the information you need to know to talk to your F22 pilot.

F-22 Raptor? Hell no, F-22 Stranglehawk (shameless stolen from someone else here)!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Is there a hidden danger that could kill you in the cockpit of your new fighter plane? We'll tell you what it is after the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Happened to be reading about the B-17 for some odd reason tonight and thought this was an interesting sidenote.

Via Wikipedia:

quote:

Under project Cadillac II, an AN/APS-20 radar was fitted onto the B-17G, making the PB-1W the first AWACS.

Haven't read through this, but there seems to be a lot of AWACS experience around here:

http://steeljawscribe.com/2007/02/27/history-of-aew-project-cadillac-ii-part-one