Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

This trailer for Lightning Returns is interesting, as it a recap of the FFXIII and FFIII-2 plot using Final Fantasy VI style sprites. It really well done too, but bums me out they cant just make a new game like this, instead of the horrible iOS style they been using.

Would play the living hell out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Butt Ghost posted:

As someone who has never played either of those games, I was unable to follow any of that.

Why is Serah a crystal? What is being curse with l'Cie? What did the bad guy even want? What did Vanille and Fang do to Cocoon? Can people still live there?

Why does Caius want to kill Lightning? How can he make paradoxes? What the gently caress was that scene with that person who keeps dying before reaching Caius? Was that supposed to be hilarious? What even happened in the ending? I don't?

PREPARE YOURSELF

l'Cie Curse: When you're cursed by a robot god, you get magic powers but they also give you a specific job to do. You can do the job and turn into a crystal (no one knows if it's reversible, turns out it is), or you can refuse the job and after some unspecified amount of time you turn into a monster (gross, not reversible).

Serah: Serah accidentally walked into a robot god and got herself cursed. Her job was to get all these other people cursed, she did it and turned into a crystal. Everyone else's job was to bring down Cocoon.

Cocoon: Everyone lives on the inside of Cocoon, which is a hollow artificial moon over the planet Pulse. There used to be people on Pulse but they all died off in mysterious circumstances.

Bad guy: The bad guy's motivations are sort of convoluted but basically he wants to get someone else to bring down Cocoon and kill everyone, because all the robot gods are programmed to take care of humans and they don't want to do it any more.

Conveniently missing from the recap: The good guys know the bad guy wants them to take down Cocoon, and they know that he's rigged himself up to the system that keeps it afloat, he directly explains to them that killing him will bring it down, but for some reason they go and do it anyway.

Fang and Vanille: They're natives from Pulse who were cursed ages ago and just woke up from their crystals. Their old job was to turn into a big monster and blow up Cocoon, which they did, but it didn't come down (that's why there's a big hole in it though). When Cocoon falls at the end of FF13, they turn into the monster again and try to hold it up.

Ending 1: When everyone turns into crystals for finishing their jobs, Fang and Vanille's energy beams (or lava spouts or whatever it was, I forgot) all solidify into a crystal pillar that Cocoon sits on. That's what the logo is on the box art. Cocoon no longer has power so everyone migrates down to Pulse.

Also missing from the recap: Everyone turned into crystals but then the goddess Etro felt bad for them and immediately turned them back.

New Cocoon: Hope, a literal child, designs and builds a new version of Cocoon for everyone to live in, because the pillar is doomed to eventually collapse and take out half of Pulse. This isn't particularly important.

Etro's eyes: A person with Etro's eyes can see visions of the future, but the visions cause seizures. If the timeline gets changed, it causes one massive vision of all the changes and the seer dies. Yeul has the eyes, and Serah gets them as well at the start of 13-2.

Yeul: Every time Yeul dies, she is reincarnated.

Caius: He became Yeul's (creepy obsessive) bodyguard at some point, and was so good at it that Etro (the goddess) gave him her own heart, which makes him live forever. Time is cyclical too, so he goes through all of time several times. He protects every incarnation of Yeul until she dies in his arms, which is obviously pretty depressing. His end goal is to gently caress up the fabric of space-time itself so he can chill in an undying limbo with his forever-teenage girlfriend.

Paradoxes: Caius creates paradoxes to weaken space-time and also to lure time travelling player characters into his apocalypse scheme. A couple of them are actual time travel paradoxes, but mostly they're just unexplained Bad Happenings and you need to Do Something.

Noel: Noel is the next in line to inherit Caius's horrible job. If Caius quits, he is supposed to kill him (no one else can kill him) and take Etro's heart.

Ending 2: Caius gets Noel to stab him in the heart (you get to choose whether Noel actually goes through with it or not, and hilariously the recap goes with the "refuse" option where he just walks up and impales himself, and it counts anyway). Caius lives on through the power of Chaos (which is some whole other bullshit that the next game is all about) but Etro herself dies because, you know, it was her heart that got stabbed. Etro had been keeping up the separation between the World and the Unseen World (again, some other bullshit for later), so now all the Chaos is leaking in and everyone's hosed. Serah sees the new future and keels over.

I AM BECOME DATALOG

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chumbler posted:

That is a masterpiece. Whoever made it perfectly captured how incredibly stupid the plot of 13-2 is and the random jumps in 13. There is a palpable loathing for the source material all over it.

Good sprites and remixes of the music, too.

It's SE NA's offical Youtube account.

Anyone know if they released a chiptune version of Caius' theme?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This needs to be line one of the OP. The "I cannot bear this." makes it.

Regarding Caius' role and relation to Yeul, I think he was intended to be basically Yeul's father and ended up looking like her creepy immortal boyfriend through terrible writing. At least I want to believe that, because that would make him much more sympathetic and tragic than "I don't know, guarding her is my job I guess and it sucks that she keeps dying." And if that were actually the case then someone competent would have realized the parallels to Sazh and we'd have had 13-2: The Adventure of Sazh instead.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

That video did a lot better job of explaining XIII-2 than the actual game did. XIII was a bit incomprehensible, though.

They know we like the style of Final Fantasy VI, but decided to poo poo all over the mobile port anyway. They've got a Dragon Quest Monsters game that earns a million dollars a day in Japan, but with Final Fantasy they just farm it out to the cheapest developer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

Caius, I have an idea.
Get Yuel some velcro shoes and teach the poor girl how to swim.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh wow! Final Fantasy XIII is loving stupid. :)

Pesky Splinter posted:

At least we'll always have this.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aurain posted:

Would play the living hell out of this.

Yeah. I would pay full price ($60) for a 16-bit port of FFXIIIs 1-3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That summary of FFXIII-2 is the most amazing thing.

Seriously.
"Snow, I can't stay, be careful!" "(Snow gets no lines)" is the best.

Caius has become TRIPLE BAHAMUT.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can make jokes at something's expense without loathing it, you realize.

That recap was hilarious but going SQUEENIX HATES FF13, JUST LIKE ME is dumb. They just have a sense of humor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That summary of FFXIII-2 is the most amazing thing.

Seriously.
"Snow, I can't stay, be careful!" "(Snow gets no lines)" is the best.

Caius has become TRIPLE BAHAMUT.

Serah drops dead.
Noel: Oh no.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pesky Splinter posted:

Whenever someone ask for a plot synopsis of XIII-2 just post this gif

Also from the recap:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh wow! Final Fantasy XIII is loving stupid. :)

It is loving stupid but I'd say if you describe any Final Fantasy plots in a paragraph or two it's going to come out stupid.

It's a kind of stupid I enjoy. And I'm excited for Lightning Returns because of that.

Don't let this stop you from playing 13 or 13-2 though. It's enjoyable if you're into that kind of ridiculous thing. That youtube video though really does capture it in such a great non serious way.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dreffen posted:

It is loving stupid but I'd say if you describe any Final Fantasy plots in a paragraph or two it's going to come out stupid.

It's a kind of stupid I enjoy. And I'm excited for Lightning Returns because of that.

Final Fantasy XIII is a pretty special kind of stupid.

That said this isn't entirely wrong. Trying to describe, say, FFIX would involve "turns out that Zidane is a genetically engineered space alien from another dimension created to destroy Earth but he has amnesia."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They put more work into an FF13 retrospective than the FFVI IOS port.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is a pretty special kind of stupid.

That said this isn't entirely wrong. Trying to describe, say, FFIX would involve "turns out that Zidane is a genetically engineered space alien from another dimension created to destroy Earth but he has amnesia."

And then a blue thing appears and it's Iifa Tree or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harlock posted:

They put more work into an FF13 retrospective than the FFVI IOS port.

I think that's what everyone should take away from all of this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not just the port, more effort than basically everything Final Fantasy related in the past decade.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tempo 119 posted:

PREPARE YOURSELF

I AM BECOME DATALOG

Is it bad that after reading all of that, and seeing people play the Lightning Returns demo, that I'm actually kindof tempted to get the game? It...it might be fun to watch the batshit insane plot unfold and the gameplay looks like it might be fun, too. :ohdear:

EDIT: Have not played XIII or XIII-2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dreffen posted:

Final Fantasy 1 is the story of a bunch of dudes who kill a guy and then go back in time to kill him again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xad posted:

Is it bad that after reading all of that, and seeing people play the Lightning Returns demo, that I'm actually kindof tempted to get the game? It...it might be fun to watch the batshit insane plot unfold and the gameplay looks like it might be fun, too. :ohdear:

Play the demo yourself. If you enjoy it then it can't hurt, but play the demo first.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the tale of a boy who wants to stop his wheelchair bound little brother from being able to walk so badly he destroys the entire world.

Maybe.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Xad posted:

I think if you were to try to like, catch up (in whatever sense), in the 13 series 13-2 would be a fun stupid thing to plow through if you've got the time. Having played through 13 and 13-2 I have to say I was glad to have gone through them just to have gone through them.

Aurain posted:

Not just the port, more effort than basically everything Final Fantasy related in the past decade.

It's the 13 series and FFXIV reboot that ARE SAVING VIDEO GAMES (and online video games), guys.

edit: Final Fantasy 7 is a story about an emotional cripple. Plus the planet is alive and some guy really hates the planet and wants to hurl a meteor at it because he has mommy issues.

Though you could probably just end it with the emotional cripple part.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A group of freedom fighters attempt to take down a power hungry and corrupt Empire while a young girl discovers what it means to fall in love until their world is shattered and they need to save it from a demigod.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

A group of freedom fighters attempt to take down a power hungry and corrupt Empire while a young girl discovers what it means to fall in love until their world is shattered and they need to save it from a demigod.
See, you can describe FFXIII just as easily as you did as well.

"A group of people are cursed by an evil demigod to destroy their home and attempt to rebel against their fate." That accurately summarizes the FFXIII plot but avoids all the ridiculous goofy poo poo that makes it so dumb.

The thing is that if you do the same for other games, well...

"Also it turns out the young girl is actually half-monster because her mother traveled to another dimension and had sex with a monster before she turned traitor and helped the evil empire capture the monsters so they could use them as a power source for their giant robots."

That said I can't actually think of a simple one-sentence summary of FFXIII-2's plot. "A boy and a girl travel through time to rescue the protagonist of the previous game" maybe?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harlock posted:

And also the world was shattered by a clown pushing some statues around for some reason, and also this made him a demigod, and also the power hungry empire puts ghost monster god spirits into crystals somehow, but also the spirits can become crystals willingly(???) and also an octopus hijacks an opera.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Livingtrope posted:

Final Fantasy 1 is the story of a bunch of dudes who kill a guy and then go back in time to kill him again.
Pure poetry. Why can't SE replicate this genius?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ImpAtom posted:

See, you can describe FFXIII just as easily as you did as well.
You can pretty much use my blurb for FF6, 7, 10, and 13 with a little bit of tweaks. :v:

I was trying to make it sound kind of cool, but yeah, you can never boil anything down to that much simplicity.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That said I can't actually think of a simple one-sentence summary of FFXIII-2's plot. "A boy and a girl travel through time to rescue the protagonist of the previous game" maybe?

"A boy and a girl receive the limitless power of time travel and use it to visit one city three times and talk exclusively to people they already know"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dreffen posted:

Caius is basically immortal so he gets to see the oracle die a bunch, eventually says "gently caress this poo poo" and decides to destroy time

I just wanna make sure people realize that this isn't a flippant recap. Caius literally growlscreams the sentence "I AM GOING TO DESTROY TIME ITSELF". He's the only good part of that stupid game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

dreffen posted:

You're a guy who gets fired for feeling bad about stealing and go off to blow up some town. After recruiting the little girl whose mother you murdered, you go collect monster dung to revive your dehydrated girlfriend so she can teach the little girl to burn things. Then you help another guy punch stuff until your best friend steals your girlfriend and a sea monster ruins your day. You go to the place where you murdered a bunch of people and the leader sends you to climb a mountain with two five-year-olds, after which you become a holy man while the old guy learns how to kill stuff with space rocks. You go murder the fake king while the children petrify themselves and go to a magnetic cave to beat up an elf so you can take a crystal to a floating tower and rescue your girlfriend. While inside the tower, the old man pelts the villain with space rocks and dies. Then you go underground, meet the little girl who somehow aged ten years in ten days, and watch some guy jump off an airship and blow himself up mid-air, only to survive. Then you get a claw on your airship and recruit a ninja who becomes more powerful after fighting his monster parents. Then your best friend becomes brainwashed again and you have to take a spaceship to the moon where you meet your moon uncle who tells you to go back to your home planet and blow up a mechanical giant, which you do. Upon which you discover the antagonist is your brother and you have to go back to the moon and beat up the real bad guy, some racist moon jerk. Then you do so and everything's happily ever after until Square-Enix decides to ruin a perfectly sensible story with a sequel.

I don't see how any of that is stupid. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Livingtrope posted:

As opposed to Final Fantasy 8, which is the story of a bunch of dudes who go forward in time to kill a girl again.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Great Lakes Log posted:

I just wanna make sure people realize that this isn't a flippant recap. Caius literally growlscreams the sentence "I AM GOING TO DESTROY TIME ITSELF". He's the only good part of that stupid game

Destroy time itself by way of killing God.

You know, like most good RPGs.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
You all are forgetting about FFII, FFIII, FFIV, and FFV. :v:

FF2: Star Wars, but in medieval times.

FF3: Some kids find a mystical crystal and gain super powers, then learn they are on a floating island and that the rest of the world has been flooded because of a shirtless man. They undo the flood, then kill the shirtless man and murder a being made out of darkness for the hell of it.

FF4: A loyal soldier goes rogue after doing a really bad thing. This is a good idea, because his brother is trying to use his nation to awaken an evil mech that can destroy everything. His best friend keeps betraying him because of a mixture of being easy to brainwash and emotional insecurity issues. For some reason, his friends keep sacrificing themselves, but always live. At the end, he blows up the mech and travels to the moon to kill an Geiger-esque monster.

FF5: A drifter combines forces with an old man in a meteor, a teenage girl, a cross-dressing woman, and a 12 year old to stop a tree in fancy armor from destroying crystals. They fail and must travel through a universe that consists of random art assets from previous areas mixed together in order to destroy the tree man before he destroys everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You are a teenager with a magical adoptive sister who mind controls you into the past to put you in the mind of your father while he bangs the mother of the girl you want to bang and then you kill a witch from the future.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

After your friend's sister gets killed by an rear end in a top hat on the order of your brother, you give up your noble title, become a mercenary, fight the church and god, and die ignobly. Meanwhile you friend becomes king by backstabbing his way up the ranks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some rear end in a top hat won't hold the bucket steady so you can fight a monster.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Your dad is a space whale and you are the dream of a dead nation. That's really the only important or interesting part of the plot.

Edit: Okay challenge mode in this summarizing game is Dissidia and Duodecim.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 29, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You can't pay for coffee on your monthly allowance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

You saved the world. Your reward is fetch quests from every single person. Also something about your imaginary boyfriend.

You are an adventurer in an adventurer-based economy, so you show up and end up saving the world from bad guys from previous games. Everyone you meet is sex-obsessed.