Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're all over me!
They're inside of me!
Can't get 'em off of me!
I'm crawling with microscopic bacteria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

It's just that it's stuck somewhere between a style parody -- like, "I can write a NIN song too" -- and a "song with different lyrics" parody, and I'm not sure which one it is.

That is part of why it is so good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stravinsky posted:

That is part of why it is so good.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I just thought it'd be more clever to do a whole "new" song demonstrating the NIN formula. I liked it until it stopped being that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That bassline is in quite a few nin songs, including the chorus of came back haunted

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The fact he's doing the hair thing is just wonderful.

GOD IS ANGRY, MUST HOLD HIS HAIR DOWN, PUSH HIS HAIR DOWN

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The fact he's doing the hair thing is just wonderful.

GOD IS ANGRY, MUST HOLD HIS HAIR DOWN, PUSH HIS HAIR DOWN

His Trent impression is completely spot on. Or at least it was back when I saw the live special where that screen cap is from. He has PHM/TDS era Trent down.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQuQkEouVI

The mind boggles.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

obeyasia posted:

The mind boggles.

Well when you put it all together like that you make it sound weird.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
Semi-related, I've been a huge of Montreal fan for the last decade and a NIN fan even longer, and I'm glad to see Trent mention enjoying of Montreal's most acclaimed album, "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" Both Trent and Kevin, of Montreal's one man singer/songwriter/producer, are both very influenced by Talking Heads and both follow the similar format of recording an album by themselves and touring with a full band a huge audio/visual production.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Doctor Claw posted:

Semi-related, I've been a huge of Montreal fan for the last decade and a NIN fan even longer, and I'm glad to see Trent mention enjoying of Montreal's most acclaimed album, "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" Both Trent and Kevin, of Montreal's one man singer/songwriter/producer, are both very influenced by Talking Heads and both follow the similar format of recording an album by themselves and touring with a full band a huge audio/visual production.

Yeah I never heard anything from them but started listening to the album thanks to that notification I received from the app. I've also been enjoying Trent's playlists as well.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Talking Heads for sure, but definitely Bowie. Not to mention they put on great live shows. Just as fun as the arena shows with huge lights, but the costumes they come up with are great. Never thought I'd be at a show where the singer rides through the crowd of 350 people on someone dressed as a three headed hydra; nice to know he likes them.

I have noticed many of my favorite artists follow the same trend of really only being one person, but with the help of others. I believe Kevin is a bit more on his own, and producing the whole thing on an old Synclavier, whereas Trent always has an additional producer.

\/\/ I was almost going to mention that, and I do like the polish that he gave the album. Also love his An Eluardian Instance remix reconstruction more than the original.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 1, 2014

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

Talking Heads for sure, but definitely Bowie. Not to mention they put on great live shows. Just as fun as the arena shows with huge lights, but the costumes they come up with are great. Never thought I'd be at a show where the singer rides through the crowd of 350 people on someone dressed as a three headed hydra; nice to know he likes them.

I have noticed many of my favorite artists follow the same trend of really only being one person, but with the help of others. I believe Kevin is a bit more on his own, and producing the whole thing on an old Synclavier, whereas Trent always has an additional producer.

Kevin did have Jon Brion for "False Priest," which isn't a well loved album but the production/arrangements on it are incredible.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

As it says in the bible "...when I was very young my mother said uhhh.. my mother's favorite psal my uh my child my father said to me..."

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2014/20140126.html

Rehearsal footage from the Grammy performance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jtr posted:

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2014/20140126.html

Rehearsal footage from the Grammy performance.
loving awesome. Really sucks that only like half of Queens' performance was shown, if that :(

There's no transition into "I am little pieces little pieces little pieces" in this version either so I guess they really played it that way, it wasn't just edited that way for time.

e: A friend of mine sent me a couple YTMNDs a little while ago so I started looking more up because I hadn't seen any in a few years, and I remembered this one which was always a favorite of mine: http://ytmnporpoise.ytmnd.com/

e2: Hahaha, holy poo poo, found this one too. Trent Reznor's thoughts on anti-aliasing: http://nomorejaggies.ytmnd.com/

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 2, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

This was made in 2014? I haven't heard anyone bring up the Manson stuff in years. Nothing Studios isn't even a thing anymore.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I never heard anything from them but started listening to the album thanks to that notification I received from the app. I've also been enjoying Trent's playlists as well.

Trent was actually the reason I got into LCD Soundsystem way back in the day. He posted an "Ask Trent" response about how James Murphy was doing a cool thing back on the pre-With Teeth incarnation of NIN.com. It was all pre-rendered images in a weird typeface, if I recall.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ultramiraculous posted:

Trent was actually the reason I got into LCD Soundsystem way back in the day. He posted an "Ask Trent" response about how James Murphy was doing a cool thing back on the pre-With Teeth incarnation of NIN.com. It was all pre-rendered images in a weird typeface, if I recall.

access

He got me to read The Lathe Of Heaven after he posted a blurb of it. Good book.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

access

He got me to read The Lathe Of Heaven after he posted a blurb of it. Good book.

Yar, Bleedthrough was to be heavily inspired by that book but it turned into With_Teeth instead. There's still some elements of it in a few of the songs. I've read a bunch of Le Guin since getting turned on to her work via TR, she's awesome. :allears:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm kind of happy we didn't get all the felching stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Semi unrelated but I just heard Daisy Berkowitz is dying of colon cancer. What a bummer, he's a large part of what made Manson great in the early years.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Semi unrelated but I just heard Daisy Berkowitz is dying of colon cancer. What a bummer, he's a large part of what made Manson great in the early years.

Oh geez, that sucks. Manson treated him like poo poo, and he seemed like he just got left behind when Manson's image took precedence over the music. He has a really cool style of playing.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

loving awesome. Really sucks that only like half of Queens' performance was shown, if that :(

There's no transition into "I am little pieces little pieces little pieces" in this version either so I guess they really played it that way, it wasn't just edited that way for time.

e: A friend of mine sent me a couple YTMNDs a little while ago so I started looking more up because I hadn't seen any in a few years, and I remembered this one which was always a favorite of mine: http://ytmnporpoise.ytmnd.com/

e2: Hahaha, holy poo poo, found this one too. Trent Reznor's thoughts on anti-aliasing: http://nomorejaggies.ytmnd.com/

This is my favorite taking the piss NIN YTMND http://reznormix.ytmnd.com/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

13Pandora13 posted:

This is my favorite taking the piss NIN YTMND http://reznormix.ytmnd.com/
Oh my god, I can't stop giggling :mmmhmm:

That's just wonderful!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

He is going through chemotherapy now and is apparently responding well to it but the cancer was already pretty advanced when they caught it. I believe he finishes the chemo in May (I'm friends with him on Facebook and he updates fairly often). If you want to help him out you can go to https://fundly.com/beat-4-life-scott-mitchell-putesky which is a fund set up to help pay for his treatment.

edit: Also he looks like this now :)

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 10, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
He looks like a nice man.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The flappy bird poster in the background makes him look extra nice I think. :)

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Twiin posted:

He looks like a nice man.

He's a really awesome dude and a wildly underrated guitarist (though not the greatest songwriter.) He is planning on recording Spooky Kids songs with new arrangements with new players at some point in the future, which could be really cool.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
I met him when he was in Jack Off Jill. He was super nice and deserves better than this. :(

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

ha ha haunted

http://pitchfork.com/news/53986-watch-nine-inch-nails-perform-came-back-haunted-on-austin-city-limits/

Show airs April 5th

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw yeah, this sounds great.

Trent's UH UH UH UH HA HA HA HA is as goofy as ever :3:

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

That sounds really good. I think Trent also picked up a couple dance moves from Josh Homme.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody know what the prints from The Spiral fanclub are worth? I have Pretty Hate Machine/The Downward Spiral/The Fragile/Broken/Fixed and the only thing I can find on them is some dude in Australia trying to sell his on eBay for $180

I also found a bigger print of the alternative artwork for Beside You In Time I got with my HD-DVD preorder. Can't find a thing about it anywhere.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 17, 2014

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Anybody know what the prints from The Spiral fanclub are worth? I have Pretty Hate Machine/The Downward Spiral/The Fragile/Broken/Fixed and the only thing I can find on them is some dude in Australia trying to sell his on eBay for $180

I also found a bigger print of the alternative artwork for Beside You In Time I got with my HD-DVD preorder. Can't find a thing about it anywhere.

I'd be pretty curious to find out as well. I've been kicking around the idea of selling my prints.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I have the same set but I also have with sin, with teeth, and year zero which the last two I believe came with album pre-orders and not the spiral membership.

i got them all framed and I'll probably give them to my kid when he's old enough.

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth

Call Me Charlie posted:

that one was given out at pre-order events that happened in several cities across the US, mostly in movie theaters.
I attended the one in Dallas. they played the DVD and then people were given a chance to pre-order it from a local store, similar to the Year Zero listening parties.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

dead56k posted:

that one was given out at pre-order events that happened in several cities across the US, mostly in movie theaters.
I attended the one in Dallas. they played the DVD and then people were given a chance to pre-order it from a local store, similar to the Year Zero listening parties.

I can't imagine those promo prints actually being worth anything since record stores probably all got a handful to promo whatever new album it was. Then everyone on the fanclub got them, and then there are all the others that went to radiostations/whatever.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Holy poo poo! There's 40 demos from the Fragile era!!!

http://www.3news.co.nz/Trent-Reznor-on-40-unreleased-demos-NZ-tour-Gone-Girl-Grammys/tabid/418/articleID/332710/Default.aspx

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

"But now we're excited about being able to get into more Fragile and Year Zero stuff,"

YES

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

"But now we're excited about being able to get into more Fragile and Year Zero stuff,"

YES
Oh gently caress :aaa:

I hope they do a US leg of this tour or we at least get to see some live streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I got really excited before I realized this was an interview and not a link to the demos.