Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm really digging my UP! Mini, prints are a great quality (down to .20mm) - only thing that might put you off is its a very 'closed' system-in-a-box, even down to the controlling sowtware, not 'hacker friendly' at all as far as I can see.

It looked absolutely rock solid, it's just that my time still isn't quite valuable enough to make it worth the cost of going ready-made.

we had an american in the space talking about the Kossels his space had been building back home (Seattle, maybe? they have a bunch there) and maaan I'm liking the look of these delta designs a whole lot, that build volume is insane

e: shiiit those detail prints. drat. can everyone else testing their 3d printers stop printing godddamn yodas for five seconds and look at those.

Usagi-Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Usagi-Sauce posted:

maaan I'm liking the look of these delta designs a whole lot, that build volume is insane

e: shiiit those detail prints. drat.

Build volume, is it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re3d/gigabot-3d-printing-this-is-huge

24inch cube? Fffffff I want one, even though it is several thousand $$$ and I have nowhere to put such a gargantuan contraption.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

gonna move in here so i can stop clogging up the pics thread with my stop-motion video stuff

built a moving camera rig today for tracking shots, also it has a pitch control on it

fruits of my labour so far:

owns

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

802.11weed posted:

Thanks for that, doc block. now i just need to figure out what everything on it means :saddowns:

but yeah thanks man

that schematic is pin-accurate for a 74HC595, so if you just put the chips in and wire it up like shown it'll work.

802.11weed posted:

Thanks for that, doc block. now i just need to figure out what everything on it means :saddowns:

but yeah thanks man

that schematic is pin-accurate for a 74HC595, so if you just put the chips in and wire it up like shown it'll work.

gonna move in here so i can stop clogging up the pics thread with my stop-motion video stuff

built a moving camera rig today for tracking shots, also it has a pitch control on it

that's cool as hell.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 28, 2014

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Nice!

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
and here's curiosity going the other way

i need a longer table, and also more red shirts

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i like that the red shirts pick up as rust/dirt in your gifs much like the so-called red planet is looking from rovercams

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

syscall girl posted:

i like that the red shirts pick up as rust/dirt in your gifs much like the so-called red planet is looking from rovercams

i assumed he was correcting the colours to look that way

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Usagi-Sauce posted:

oooh, effort

i've heard of that but it didn't occur to me because of the way some Quik & EZ gif software works

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Usagi-Sauce posted:

yeah, i hosed with the hue in photoshop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

love ur poo poo mate

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

frickin awesome. xpost to the lego thread, it'll be a breath of fresh air next to constant mech-posting: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Socracheese posted:

c_node? o_node?

you win, they're ONodes now, remember to demand your cut when this poo poo makes me a literal hundredaire

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jony ive aces posted:

lol if u don't get your own bespoke chips fabbed

this but unironically

you can spin a few wafers on reasonably modern processes for surprisingly cheap these days

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

this but unironically

you can spin a few wafers on reasonably modern processes for surprisingly cheap these days

:stare: enlighten me, please

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm assuming he means "surprisingly cheap!" like "well, it used to cost you $100,000 a wafer, now it's only $10,000"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doc Block posted:

:stare: enlighten me, please

well there's obviously MOSIS which is like 40k? per wafer? or something in that ballpark?
CMP is http://cmp.imag.fr/products/ic/?p=prices
then there's some german fab house that we quoted some multi-wafer runs from with confusingly low 5-digit numbers

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'm assuming he means "surprisingly cheap!" like "well, it used to cost you $100,000 a wafer, now it's only $10,000"

well yeah basically. a surprising number of people still think custom ASICs are like 250k+ when you can get a whole bunch for low 5-digits or very small runs for 4-digits, maybe even 3 if you're okay with crap processes and have loads of time to spare (but probably still 4)

Bloody fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
suppose i wanted a single custom chip one time. we're talking just a couple grand maybe?

is that price following a moore's law pattern? will i soon be able to print out a custom chip for pocket dollars?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mathhole posted:

suppose i wanted a single custom chip one time. we're talking just a couple grand maybe?

is that price following a moore's law pattern? will i soon be able to print out a custom chip for pocket dollars?

i dunno i havent been aware of asic costs long enough to have a grasp of their trends

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that's the tiny breadboard . i ground off some but it's not plated and zero success soldering. i would be content with some form of glue or something that conducted to connect to it and connect across them all too. i'm not against squishing alu foil in there tbh but i know that's terrible

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

aag tables

Dec 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

that's the tiny breadboard . i ground off some but it's not plated and zero success soldering. i would be content with some form of glue or something that conducted to connect to it and connect across them all too. i'm not against squishing alu foil in there tbh but i know that's terrible

what is going on here, what are you trying to accomplish

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i am trying to make an working board thing to make it easy to make up arduino projects. i have bolted the arduino uno to the board and those little breadboards are going to each be a source of power (12v, 5v etc)

its just a way of giving me breadboard access to power easily. it might be moronic but this board is my project. when its finished or nearing it ill show u guys so u can get an idea of what i am trying to achieve.

mainly its becvause the usb cable to the arduino was so big and heavy i found it moved the board if i moved the laptop for example coz everything was just sitting on the table. i have gotten a wooden cutting board and am using that and evertything gets bolted/fixed to it and nothing will move :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uh, breadboards have two rails down each side specifically for this purpose, you know? can't you just plug the power from the arduino 5V and GND pins into the breadboard side rails and call it a day?

if you really need to get power to the little breadboard blocks, just buy some headers

and solder to those and stick it in the board and accept that you'll lose one row. you would still have, like, 20 holes left, that's plenty for any reasonable project

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well i don't want to draw current that i don't need to from the arduino and my small beard board doesn't have rails

your idea is sensible i'm sure but i'm trying to be *unique* here and i have an idea in my head and i need to complete it i think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what's the power supply that you're going to be tying into the arduino?

and regardless, it's a much better idea to like put some female banana jacks on the top of the thing you're building this on, hook those up to the 5v or whatever, then get a banana plug and solder it to the 5x male headers and use that "patch cord" when you need power to your mini breadboards. if it's a prototyping system it should be as modular as you can make it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a pc power supply

and those beard boards wouldn't be directly
connected, i have this 5 point plug that the power supply plugs into the board with

i might have to go with your suggestion anyway simply to make it work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is kind of the idea. that power supply has a plug which will plug onto the board giving 12v,5v,3.3v,ground and the power-supply-on lead too (so i can switch the power supply on via the board, i will install a switch) and then ideally those little coloured bread boards will have respective voltages going to them, from the back. i intend to groove out the back of the board so a lot of this wiring and etc is under the board. that way, if i want 5v, i just use a patch cable from the 5v bread board to where i need it. same with other voltages.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 30, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im pretty baby here. im very unlikely to make real projects, i never have the patience nor actual project to make. just like me loving around in 3d rendering or ableton, i get simple retard joy from the fuckery. from hooking up an lcd matrix and making it say something. maybe one day it will be more, but curently my project is this board itself

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

dont electrocute yourself echopenis

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for a second a thought you called me electropenis and that would be so grat

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i called you echidna penis once but i don't think anyone noticed

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

death by arduino

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

for a second a thought you called me electropenis and that would be so grat

i'll regret this forever now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

i called you echidna penis once but i don't think anyone noticed
i notice every time someone misspells my name. does no one respect cactus genera anymore?

yours is a good one though. thoughtful

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

echinopsis posted:

i notice every time someone misspells my name. does no one respect cactus genera anymore?

yours is a good one though. thoughtful

only today i notice you are not in fact called echopenis

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

coffeetable posted:

only today i notice you are not in fact called echopenis

yes its electropenis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari