Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
And with some final comments about the process of hacking and dumping phones, the examination is done for the day. It will resume tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Shelf Adventure posted:

That's the key here. Andy Coulson was either implicit or incompetent (neither of which reflect well on Cameron's choice to hire him.)

Reminder that Cameron magically hired Coulson with less background checking than was standard for the post, even though he had access to material that required a higher security clearance, and then lied about it. For, oh, probably no reason

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Goddamn, this QC is brutal. No amount of money would exchange my place with Dan Evans right now. News Int. know how to throw their cash around.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Plavski posted:

Goddamn, this QC is brutal. No amount of money would exchange my place with Dan Evans right now. News Int. know how to throw their cash around.
Can you go into detail?

edit: the shittiness of being cross-examined seems like a big problem with a court system like ours that's based on trial by combat*

*not an exaggeration, we've just replaced the swords with words.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Most of today's examination has involved going into the minutiae of the Daniel Craig/Sienna Miller call. Pinpointing the exact time and date, who heard, what was played. Coulson's QC, Timothy Langdale, is laying into him constantly:

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 19m
Timothy Langdale QC for Andy Coulson responds: "Mr Evans, you're changing your story." #hackingtrial

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 32m
Langdale says there was no excoriating email to him from NOTW about not getting stories. Evans replies: "There emphatically was"

quote:

lisa o'carroll ‏@lisaocarroll 19m
Evans turns to Langdale who is pressing him about the claim he knew it was Sienna Miller from his number. "You are barking up wrong tree"

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 19m
Judge tells Evans 'just take a deep breath & concentrate' after he interrupts witness talking about recollection of sienna #hacking

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 16m
"Presumably you did it in July?" asks Langdale. "That's your presumption.... I don't recall doing it." says Evans of hacking Miller

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 2m
"I put it to you that nothing of any significance happened that Tuesday," says Langdale. "Bring it on," says Evans.

quote:

"Let's bring it on at five past two," says Saunders.

loving :laffo:. How Hollywood.

The Big British Castle have a summary up of the days events so far: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25963637

Plavski fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 30, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Langdale Lobs Law Bomb:

quote:

lisa o'carroll ‏@lisaocarroll 4m
Evans said he played tape to Coulson at 4/5pm. Dark outside. Langdale: Sunset on 27th Sept 2005 at 6.48

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 3m
Coulson lawyer: 'Mr Evans mr coulson wasn't in the office that day. He wasn't even in London. What do you say to that?' #hacking

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 2m
Evans says perhaps memory of it 'is flawed' but adds 'doesn't alter the fact' that playing tape at meeting with coulson happened #hacking

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 1m
"How can you explain that was the following day?" says Langdale. "If this had happened you could not have forgotten what day?"

quote:

"I remember it being after going to x, dusky twilightly outside, I played a tape to them... certainly salient elements are clear in my mind"

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 57s
Langdale says another person who saw supposed to have heard the tape (who can't be named) wasn't in London that day either.

DRAMA

quote:

"Sienna Miller wasn't in the Groucho that Saturday.... and you did not hack Daniel Craig on the Sunday or Monday" Evans: "Yes, I did."

quote:

Fiona Hamilton ‏@Fhamiltontimes 1m
Evans says that on the hacked message, Sienna Miller said she was in Groucho club. Coulson's QC says he can prove she wasn't there #hacking

Plavski fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 30, 2014

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Plavski posted:

Most of today's examination has involved going into the minutiae of the Daniel Craig/Sienna Miller call. Pinpointing the exact time and date, who heard, what was played. Coulson's QC, Timothy Langdale, is laying into him constantly:

I thought Evans was warned not to get combative with QC. I'm glad they're giving him more leeway. I love this kind of back and forth.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thems big words mr bigshot lawyer, you'd better be able to back 'em up *click*

Sure, the best form of defence is attack, but why would someone incriminate themselves with a fairy story. Defense is trying to muddy the waters here.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Is expecting people to remember every detail of a conversation that happened half a decade ago (would you say it was a half moon, or a gibbous moon? Were you wearing a tie clip? I have surveillance camera footage proving that you weren't!) actually a valid legal strategy?

I mean I presume the idea is to cast doubt on testimony, but to me all this proves so far is that people don't have eidetic memories :confused:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 16m
Landgale QC, for Coulson, suggests that Dan Evans DID NOT hack Daniel Craig and listen to a voicemail left by Sienna Miller.

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 15m
Dan Evans: "Yes I did. You know what? I am not here to make things up about Daniel Craig’s message. This isn’t a fun experience for me."

quote:

Andy Davies ‏@adavies4 2m
Coulson's barrister says there's no call data to show Evans used his work mobile to hack Daniel Craig's phone on days he says he did.

quote:

"Maybe his phone was off and I didn't need to do it," says Evans. "He's given an explanation," intervenes Saunders.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Zephro posted:

Is expecting people to remember every detail of a conversation that happened half a decade ago (would you say it was a half moon, or a gibbous moon? Were you wearing a tie clip? I have surveillance camera footage proving that you weren't!) actually a valid legal strategy?

I mean I presume the idea is to cast doubt on testimony, but to me all this proves so far is that people don't have eidetic memories :confused:

You prove they recalled something wrong and therefore they're a filthy liar.

It's extremely effective, people assume any mistruth means you're untrustworthy. The jury system is utterly worthless.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zephro posted:

It's certainly not going to work when the end result is Mr Coulsen's good friends back his version of the story up and the jury goes say what? But the defence has nothing else to go on but cast doubt. They must trumpet show me the data at every turn, what else can they do. The biggest problem with it is that it stretches credulity to believe that management had no idea and was not involved. No amount of shouting about the particulars of a statement is going to erase the bigger picture which the jury depends upon to understand the case.

Also don't forget that we're looking at a boss vs employee argument here, that's another difficult sell.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 4m
Evans says there would be evidence of hacks to direct dial line - not present in court.

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 4m
"You've said that a number of times," says Langdale of Evans' claim Coulson was there when tape played: "Because it's true."

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 3m
Court hears Evans say his tape of #hacking msg of sienna miller was played at colleagues desk at NotW, with coulson there

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 3m
"There's not a word of truth in that is there, Mr Evans?" says Langdale about Evan's claim Coulson aske for copy, and shouted out for jiffy

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 2m
Langdale QC tells Dan Evans that Andy Coulson was not there when he played the hacked tape.

quote:

Tom Symonds ‏@tomsymonds 3m
Evans to Langdale: I didn't see you there sir #hacking

quote:

"What was the point of that?" asks Langdale. "There is an understanding, this is illegal, dodgy, hooky... we're all in it together."

quote:

Langdale says "Fleet St is a very leaky place... how did it make any sense for the editor of NOTW to be broadcasting this?"- tape sanitising

quote:

"He would have felt safe in that environment..." says Evans of Coulson's demands to copy tape and sanitise it.

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 1m
Evans: "I was surprised... it was not Andy’s MO. This was the one time I saw him [listen to a tape]."

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Are we surprised that a drug addicted liar who has been given immunity from prosecution for ratting on the main culprit is being exposed as anything other than the charlatan that is so evidently is?

(Satire)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is the defence going to leave Evans up there for as long as possible?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

notaspy posted:

Is the defence going to leave Evans up there for as long as possible?

Cross-examination just ended. Court QC is now going over a few matters. I think Evans' time in the box will be over soon.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Plavski posted:

Cross-examination just ended. Court QC is now going over a few matters. I think Evans' time in the box will be over soon.

When all is said an done I'd love to find out if this cross examination had the desired effect

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

notaspy posted:

When all is said an done I'd love to find out if this cross examination had the desired effect

The point repeatedly hammered home is:

"Dan Evans is a druggy and is making up all this stuff. He remembered meetings that didn't take place, he doesn't write about phone hacking anywhere and he is completely confused on every single element of his 'alleged' hack. There is nothing to corroborate his story and it's just his word against Coulson's. These mythical tapes will never appear because there were no tapes and there were no meetings."

Dan Evans fought back the best he could, but it's easy to claim things didn't happen 9 years ago when hardly anyone involved remembers it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Presumably the problem with that line of argument is that to make it accurate you'd have to modify it slightly to "Dan Evans is a masochistic druggy who made all this stuff up and got himself arrested because, um..."

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Zephro posted:

Presumably the problem with that line of argument is that to make it accurate you'd have to modify it slightly to "Dan Evans is a masochistic druggy who made all this stuff up and got himself arrested because, um..."

As he himself said numerous times: "Why would I make it up? This isn't exactly enjoyable for me..."

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah well, you need to be mentally prepared for cross examination and even then it can go horribly wrong for you. Most people buckle under hostile questioning because they aren't trained to deal with it. Sometimes they become really defensive when they don't need to be, blubber alot and give their interrogator more rope than they need to hang them.

Its still going to be weighed with the direct examination. You are doing well if you don't completely fall apart in cross. I'm at work so I'm missing the action. Did he completely fall apart?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

Yeah well, you need to be mentally prepared for cross examination and even then it can go horribly wrong for you. Most people buckle under hostile questioning because they aren't trained to deal with it. Sometimes they become really defensive when they don't need to be, blubber alot and give their interrogator more rope than they need to hang them.

Its still going to be weighed with the direct examination. You are doing well if you don't completely fall apart in cross. I'm at work so I'm missing the action. Did he completely fall apart?

Not really, no. There were a few moments where he got snippy with the really aggressive cross-examination techniques, but in general he held his cool and his nerve. It seemed a horribly unpleasant experience for him but in the end I think he did really quite well. As with all this stuff, the cross-examination was hunting for specific details of 9 year old events so I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not remember every specific detail and have that used to show you were a drugged up lying fantasist.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sienna Miller is giving evidence by link now and is corroborating the poo poo out of Dan Evans.

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 7m
Sienna Miller says it's "likely" that she also left a message for actor Daniel Craig, while in the Groucho Club.

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 6m
She asked if she remembers leaving the "I love you" msg. She says she finished all her msgs to close friends with the phrase. So it's likely

quote:

lisa o'carroll ‏@lisaocarroll 6m
Miller says she ended her messages to Craig with I love You since she became friends with him in 2003

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 7m
Explainer: Hacker Dan Evans picked up Sienna Miller's message for Daniel Craig - and it became a story that the two were having an affair.

Her evidence has concluded and Evans will be back at 10.30 on Monday (the poor bugger).

The gist of Miller's evidence was that: "I told everyone I loved them and if you had overheard me saying that, you'd think it was more than it was. The article about it is complete crap, but the internal emails about my weight-loss and biting my fingernails is right. Also, I was crying most of the time and going through hell."

Evans probably feels like a total poo poo.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 31, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So are we likely to get the defence calling Miller a liar too? "You were never at that club Ms Miller, and I can prove it!!!!

e- oh I guess she's done. I suppose calling attractive celebrity victims liars doesn't play so well with juries

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Last day for Dan Evans as the prosecution re-examines him. The end of the case for the prosecution is looming apparently.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Plavski posted:

Last day for Dan Evans as the prosecution re-examines him. The end of the case for the prosecution is looming apparently.

What's the general thoughts on the matter? looking like a slam dunk case?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tithin Melias posted:

What's the general thoughts on the matter? looking like a slam dunk case?

Some papers are claiming the trial has been 'explosive', others are more muted. My own feeling is that we haven't had a smoking gun, just a hell of a lot of "it really really looks like they were hacking and knew about it guys. Seriously. It really looks that way."

Whether they'll get them for phone hacking, I don't know. Certainly poo poo like destroying company e-mails and disposing of evidence will come to bite them hard, but it's pretty difficult to prove a conspiracy or anything like that considering how off the books and guarded the whole thing was at NotW. I'm sure the defense will put on quite a show portraying Coulson and Brooks as unwitting pawns in the evil machinations of drug-addicts and gossip-hounds. The poor darlings.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I could be mistaken here, or confusing US and UK law, but aren't there provisions in UK law where the attempted disposal of evidence is to be treated as though it were the absolute most damning thing to your case that it could be, and the juries are instructed to keep that in mind during their deliberations?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Plavski posted:

Some papers are claiming the trial has been 'explosive', others are more muted. My own feeling is that we haven't had a smoking gun, just a hell of a lot of "it really really looks like they were hacking and knew about it guys. Seriously. It really looks that way."

Whether they'll get them for phone hacking, I don't know. Certainly poo poo like destroying company e-mails and disposing of evidence will come to bite them hard, but it's pretty difficult to prove a conspiracy or anything like that considering how off the books and guarded the whole thing was at NotW. I'm sure the defense will put on quite a show portraying Coulson and Brooks as unwitting pawns in the evil machinations of drug-addicts and gossip-hounds. The poor darlings.

I pretty much agree, with the destruction of the email record there is no hard link in the cases BUT I think this might be a problem of the way the tweets have been done. They are factual but lack a context, looking at how private eye does the reporting these guys are hosed with a capital hosed.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Tithin Melias posted:

I could be mistaken here, or confusing US and UK law, but aren't there provisions in UK law where the attempted disposal of evidence is to be treated as though it were the absolute most damning thing to your case that it could be, and the juries are instructed to keep that in mind during their deliberations?

I believe that's the general common law attitude to evidence that has been disposed of (that juries assume it was as damaging to the disposer's case as can reasonably be presumed) but I don't think that would be the case in situations where the disposal was attempted but the evidence was retrieved. It definitely looks very bad and is damaging to the case, far more so than the evidence being handed in willingly, but not as damning as it could be. It will depend on what exactly was on the laptops, etc. that was relevant and whether the prosecution can persuade the jury whether that indicates a general attempt to cover up activities at the paper from investigators.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Was all the evidence recovered though? I seem to remember the BBC reporting that security footage showed the same people who took away the laptop and bag o' porn also removed large black bin bags a few days earlier.

Will the defence argue that security specialists were necessary to dispose of multiple sacks filled with porn, each with a capacity of 30-40 litres?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

notaspy posted:

They are factual but lack a context, looking at how private eye does the reporting these guys are hosed with a capital hosed.
I'm really glad there are rags like Private Eye

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Verizian posted:

Was all the evidence recovered though? I seem to remember the BBC reporting that security footage showed the same people who took away the laptop and bag o' porn also removed large black bin bags a few days earlier.

Will the defence argue that security specialists were necessary to dispose of multiple sacks filled with porn, each with a capacity of 30-40 litres?

Yeah, to get conspiracy theorist for a moment, you could say they disposed of the evidence and then brought it back specifically so this could be considered the full extent of what they had to hide. It's taken away and then 'recovered', conveniently in full view of a security camera, by 'bungling' professional security personnel.

Cue an 'a-HA! What do we have here then' "ohnos it's a fair cop" discovery

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's my latest ACAB post from my regular blog contributor - The Met - Upsetting The Apple Cart.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I can't believe anyone significant at NOTW will actually go to jail or be punished in any meaningful way. That sort of thing is for the little people.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Guess which stud Wendy Deng is talking about

quote:

Oh, poo poo, oh, poo poo. Whatever why I’m so so missing Tony. Because he is so so charming and his clothes are so good. He has such good body and he has really really good legs Butt . . . And he is slim tall and good skin. Pierce blue eyes which I love. Love his eyes. Also I love his power on the stage . . . and what else and what else and what else . . .

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is it Tony Abbott? :v:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

What in the gently caress... so those rumours were true? I'm so incredibly sceptical of this whole shebang, cos it's just too daytime soap opera.

quote:

But one day Mr. Blair arrived and Mrs. Murdoch was sort of being very flirtatious. She was charming him. He asked the staff, ‘When is Mr. Murdoch going to arrive?’ And when he was told, ‘Tomorrow night,’ Mr. Blair rolled his eyes and gave a panicked look.”

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for those events, the screenwriter just needs inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So Michael Sheen will be seduced by Lucy Liu in the new Peter Morgan adaptation of this little drama?

quote:

@London_Calling_: Finding out that Murdoch's boat is called Morning Glory is distressing.
:laffo:

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 5, 2014

• Locked thread