Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Womens Jeans posted:

Norwegian mørbrad, which from http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storfekj%F8tt seems to correspond to American sirloin and British rump steak.

As previously mentioned, there is no point in cooking mørbrad longer than a few hours.

If you want to do really long sous-vide times, cuts like høyrygg and bibringe are more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I made a pair of tri-tip roasts (prime grade) this week and they were fantastic. turned out great for steak salads. Cooked @ 136* for 9h.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I did pretty much the same thing yesterday, put a tri-tip roast in the bath for about 6 hours at 135. In the meantime, I ran some red potatoes through a ricer.

When the roast came out, I seared it in butter and canola in my enameled pan, removed it to rest, then tossed some shallots and mushrooms into the pan. After a couple of minutes, deglazed with cheap boxed red wine, added the bag juices from the tritip, and reduced by about 60%. I cut the tri-tip into cubes, tossed the cubes over mashed potatoes, then spooned the sauce overtop.

It worked really well, and given that you can pick up a roast for 8 bucks at trader joe's, already vacuum sealed, the dish will probably go into my everyday dinner rotation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did the TJ's tritip taste? I've had mixed results with their vac-packaged meats.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It was good - maybe a bit tougher than I'd have liked, but after I cubed it, it provided a nice contrast with the mashed potatoes. It was certainly worth the eight-ish dollars I paid.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
My Sansaire has just left Hong Kong. Just under six months after I paid for it.

Woo, Kickstarter.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Woo, Kickstarter.

Quit your bitching. Nomiku took 14 months to ship after the end of their funding period. The ZPM Espresso guys still haven't shipped over two years later. If Sansaire delaying for 1 1/2 months is a serious issue, Kickstarter probably isn't the site for you.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I did a flatiron steak for about two hours at 132 today, and goddamn was it delicious. I think I prefer it to strip or ribeye, honestly. So much flavor!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Any good vegetarian sous vide applications? I know that meat is kind of the whole point but maybe it could make something veggie easier. I know that a big bag of veggies basically turns into steamed veggies and a bag full of juice that makes good veggie stock.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm a big fan of carrots:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-sous-vide-carrots-vegetables.html

But I would like to see more vegetable recipes too

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm a big fan of carrots:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-sous-vide-carrots-vegetables.html

But I would like to see more vegetable recipes too

Same for both these statements.

I do beet slices around 182 with a touch of butter, honey, and salt. Panic attack the next time you use the bathroom until you remember what you ate.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Any good vegetarian sous vide applications? I know that meat is kind of the whole point but maybe it could make something veggie easier. I know that a big bag of veggies basically turns into steamed veggies and a bag full of juice that makes good veggie stock.

All root vegetables are good, basically all green things are terrible if you're not making a sauce-type thing.

You can make really good roasted-style potatoes by taking some fingerlings, cooking them s-v in butter or duck fat or any fat at ~ 183F then drying and pan-searing then tossing with the bag liquid.

This potato puree is super good:

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Trip report on sous vide sauerbraten:
Cut the bottom round roast into three pieces after pickling, roasted the middle part in my Schlemmertopf last night. It was good, but I could have gone 3-4 hours instead of the directed 2 in the Schlemmertopf manual.
Water bath at 136 for 24 hours, one end in some marinade, one end dry.
Results:
Marinaded water bath version is tougher than all the others, and the marinade flavor is too strong overall, permeating the whole piece of meat. I imagine this is vinegar+protein+heat
Plain water bath version is the best, but an additional sear after it comes out would be best, I think. Definitely the juciest overall.
Schlemmertopf version was a relatively close second, but a bit dryer (still moist compared to other sauerbratens I've had), and like I said, should have gone another hour or so.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I pulled up a few vegetarian sous vide recipes and these cauliflower "steaks" look promising.

http://blog.holyscraphotsprings.com/2011/03/vegan-sous-vide-cauliflower.html

Here's a fennel recipe that would be appealing if I was into fennel:

http://stefangourmet.com/2013/05/17/fennel-sous-vide-fondant/

And here's a whole page on root vegetables. Pretty, but boring dishes:

http://sousvideaustralia.com/cookingsousvide/cooking-root-vegetables/

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Anyone know of a good pulled pork type recipe for sous vide?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've got one of those pork tenderloins in a vacuum sealed bag with lemon/herb seasoning that's been sitting in the freezer for a bit.

Any reason it wouldn't work to just thaw it out and dump it as-is in 135 degree water for a few hours? Only problem would be getting a decent sear on it without a torch. I'm thinking just hot cast iron and rotating it with tongs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BagSoakEat has a collection of fruit and veg SV recipes (by which I mean times and temperatures without a lot of elaboration).
http://bagsoakeat.com/categories

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Got my Sansaire delivered yesterday, used it to make steaks tonight! I probably had them in way too long (came home during lunch to start 'em) and they were probably too thin to be worth doing in the first place, but man they were tasty!

Much more intense flavour than I would usually get + super-juicy. They looked like poo poo coming out of the bags but I got a serviceable crust without setting off the smoke alarm so I'm calling it a win!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I did rump steaks for an hour at 140°F / 60°C the other night. They were way more juicy than expected, and more flavorful than I am used to rump steak being.

Salted for an hour before hand, spiced with salt, black and white pepper, and coriander. Don't think I needed salt the second time, and a slice of butter would've been good. Finished for 20 seconds on each side which was also probably too much.

Sous vide does magical things to cheap cuts of meat.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The Sous Vide Supreme is on sale for $200. I hadn't previously considered one and was planning on picking up an immersion circulator soon. Is there any compelling reason to buy the Supreme over something like the Anova now that they're the same price?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Tacier posted:

The Sous Vide Supreme is on sale for $200. I hadn't previously considered one and was planning on picking up an immersion circulator soon. Is there any compelling reason to buy the Supreme over something like the Anova now that they're the same price?

From a few pages back it sounds like they have corrosion problems: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post424989938

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Tacier posted:

Is there any compelling reason to buy the Supreme over something like the Anova now that they're the same price?

Nope, zero reason. Get the Anova. Smaller foot print yet higher capacity, circulates water, won't corrode.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tacier posted:

I have a sous vide supreme, and it has served me very well over the years, but get the Anova instead.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

They're also a fixed size - the the Anova/Sansaire, you can just use any old container.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

geetee posted:

Nope, zero reason. Get the Anova. Smaller foot print yet higher capacity, circulates water, won't corrode.
Eh. If I was buying one today I'd probably check out an Anova just because of the price and the fact that there's more flexibility in being able to use different sized cooking vessels. But `smaller foot print'? The Anova doesn't have a footprint---whatever cooking vessel you use does, and it may or may not have a bigger footprint than a SVS.

The fact that it circulates water is really a non-starter. Like in principle it allows for finer temperature regulation but it's not like the SVS has trouble with managing temperature---even if there's some theoretical difference in their abilities, it's something that will result in literally indistinguishable results. Just like a DIY thing with an old rice cooker---cooking in a puddle machine is just insanely forgiving. That being said, an IC---any IC, not just Anova's---has moving parts, which a SVS does not. I don't know what the expected service life is for the heating element in the SVS is, but my guess is that a pump (again, pretty much any IC pump, not just the Anova one) has a MTBF that's lower than a heating element (which is a part all puddle machines will have regardless of design).

And the base plate corrosion thing, well, while it's bad design---they should've just anodised the loving things---but it's not like the fact that the finish is all hosed up actually affects operation.

I mean by all means buy an Anova or any other IC if you want. But I think pretty much any of the commercial sous vide products will do anything the majority of home cooks want to do, and they'll do it just about the same. The real basis for comparison that I'd care about is service life, and the Anovas just started shipping in, what, November? So there's not exactly a lot of data out there on them yet.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In terms of the corrosion it's eating the bath away. It's only a matter of time until it springs a leak, so I'd say the function is compromised.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Chemmy posted:

In terms of the corrosion it's eating the bath away. It's only a matter of time until it springs a leak, so I'd say the function is compromised.

Really? I thought only the aluminum plate was etched, not the walls of the bath itself. My Demi hasn't had either problem, so I couldn't say for sure.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chemmy posted:

What do you mean? The SVS Demi has a nonreactive interior---is there some variant that has a non-stainless bare metal interior, or is the coating on yours just damaged?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The coating on the inside of the bath is also eaten away by the corrosion. The inside of the bath, as well as the heat spreader plate, is corroded.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have a corroded plate, but not corroded walls.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chemmy posted:

The coating on the inside of the bath is also eaten away by the corrosion. The inside of the bath, as well as the heat spreader plate, is corroded.
Same with mine. I bought mine two or three years ago when they were on sale.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Do you have any photos of it? Because I can't imagine how it would corrode except from having the interior coating being scratched or otherwise physically damaged.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll take some. My first SVS Demi did the same thing and they replaced it. The walls corrode much less than the heat spreader plate.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a background in materials science.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Huh, that's interesting. I imagine it has something to do with variations in water chemistry causing galvanic corrosion (the bag rack is steel, so there's your cathode).

The Sous Vide Supreme website says the regular SVS and the "professional" model are using stainless steel interiors now, so they should be pretty close to non-corrosive no matter what - though you might have to replace the heat plate. I guess they got enough complaints that they revised the design? If I started having problems with my old one I'd try improvising a fix by painting the plate (or the whole chamber) with one of the tougher Rustoleum enamels to seal off the damage and keep it from getting worse.

Still, either one should last you a good long while, and I'd go with an immersion circulator just for the flexibility and ease of storage.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The full sized SVSs have always been stainless steel. I'd bet they're well aware of the issue.

edit: I'm not mad or anything, I bought it on sale for $199 and have used it for like five years (ignoring that it got replaced after a year). I just wouldn't buy a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, there are better options available that are cheaper. When I bought it Polyscience's cheapest circulator was like $600.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Chemmy posted:

The full sized SVSs have always been stainless steel. I'd bet they're well aware of the issue.

edit: I'm not mad or anything, I bought it on sale for $199 and have used it for like five years (ignoring that it got replaced after a year). I just wouldn't buy a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, there are better options available that are cheaper. When I bought it Polyscience's cheapest circulator was like $600.

I've not had the corrosion issue but I got my SVS under the same circumstances. That being said I'd still get an Anova if I were to do it again at this point. The smaller footprint is obviously subject to the container but the thing is when you're done you can dump the bath and all you have to put away is a pot you likely already had and a stick. The SVS is good but even when empty still takes up a huge amount of space. Water circulation doesn't really have that big of a factor, I've actually tried putting a small aquarium pump in mine that I had left over from a touchy DIY setup I had because I'm a huge loving nerd. It didn't really make any worthwhile change.

The biggest thing is to be able to change the bath at will. It feels like such a waste of energy to do the SVS bath for 1-2 pieces of Salmon and while I've not had the issue of the bath being too small (although I have had to do some bag rearranging to make it happen) it would be nice to have the option to get bigger or even have the same volume of water in different dimensions (e.g. longer and thinner bath).

I've considered buying a second sous vide setup and if I made the plunge it would probably be an Anova. Unless there was a crazy surprise the SVS would probably be moved to backup.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

SubG posted:

But `smaller foot print'? The Anova doesn't have a footprint---whatever cooking vessel you use does, and it may or may not have a bigger footprint than a SVS.

I already have pots, and it's easier to store a smaller Anova than the larger SVS. So yes, a smaller footprint.

Agree the other points are minor, but they're definitely positives on the Anova side. I'm not concerned about the lifetime because the company is experienced in the area, plus warranties.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ordered the Anova last night in Red. Apparently they had some in stock slated for sales off Amazon, and I think I got the last one as it went out of stock afterward. Got a shipping notice this morning.

What's the first thing I should make for my wife to justify another kitchen toy taking up space?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Iron Tusk posted:

What's the first thing I should make for my wife to justify another kitchen toy taking up space?

Steak. If she is like my wife and doesn't like good steak, chicken breast. Don't tell her it was cooked @ only 140 otherwise she may get it into her head that it's not safe even after you explain the science of pasteurization :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Iron Tusk posted:

Ordered the Anova last night in Red. Apparently they had some in stock slated for sales off Amazon, and I think I got the last one as it went out of stock afterward. Got a shipping notice this morning.

If she prefers white meat: chicken breast that are actually moist.
If she prefers red meat: The best tenderloins ever (just don't overcock it and it will be the best ever).
If she loves having guests: The tenderloins, but discuss how perfectly it scales to more people.
If she has a very sophisticated palate: Some pork neck or cuts of beef that requires a lot of time (sadly my suggestions here would be lost in translation).

For me personally, I have group of friends that share a Sous-Vide machine for social occasions. Serving tenderloin.. that is utterly amazing.. is super easy up to the capacity of the sous-vide machine. Five people is as easy as thirty people (since the capacity of our Sous-Vide is approximately 10 kg of meat). My biggest surprise was when we carved a turkey and put it in the sous-vide though. The marginal improvement on the turkey breasts vs conventional cocking on the turkey breasts was incredible.