Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D, H

Just inside the tunnel though, not fully into the cave. Make sure they cannot all come at us at once and that we can see into the cave.

Make sure the second or third line is making a wall facing back down the tunnel.

As is customary for me, I would like to thank Diog and everyone for such an excellent game up to this point.

Continue to shout encouragement and keeping the man beside you alive even while fighting. We are Enki Goat Tongue and need to take advantage of that to keep strong in the face of overwhelming odds.

If the ogre engages we might want some space behind us so we can make it fight in the tunnel should that look like the thing to do. Deploying the bow to try and take the ogre is going to be a judgment call, if possible at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

paragon1 posted:

D H

You guys ever get the feeling we might be Hitlering it up just a bit?

That cave painting kinda sorta looks like men slaughtering goblins...maybe it's a warning sign for anyone leaving the city?

Wouldn't it be interesting if some of the monsters created a vast underground network of caves to hide from the humans? Perhaps this is only one hub of something much greater.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D H M
Azz may have had a hoof in landing us here, so it doesn't hurt to hedge our bets.

Also, confirm with Snarls if he still smells only one ogre, and if he smells anything else now.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Voting 1D and 2H.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mr. Wednesday posted:

This is dumb. C - pull out

This is a terrible place to make our stand. There are two side-tunnels that can be used to flank us, and they have enough numbers to keep at it until we are too exhausted to fight on. Pressing on is a bad idea too, and will lead to us in a choke-point, flanked from behind, and surrounded in front by hordes of goblins and an angry ogre on their own turf. I'm calling for a tactical retreat to put us on better footing, not to flee the battle entirely.

Also H

I vote this too:

C - to find a better place to fight
H

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Actually thinking about it Diogines, didn't a majority of people vote for there to be people either exploring the side tunnels or guards put upon them? Did that happen or did I misread the plans that had support?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Remember our carefree days of causing whacky hijinx with Danal? Those days are gone.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

paragon1 posted:

You guys ever get the feeling we might be Hitlering it up just a bit?

Goblins are subhuman rats who need to be exterminated! What's Zepathan for "EST IST ZEIT FÜR RACHE!"?

D H

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'd like to vote for sending some men to each of the tunnel openings behind us in order to prevent flanking if we still have time to do that.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
D, H

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
BK

Hell yeah kill Shrek!

I hope we realise that we've invaded someone's home and are mercilessly murdering them just because. We are the monsters here. We are legend.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1 - D
2 - G

And a silent prayer to whoever that Melachim that is the patron of hidden things/knowledge/secrets etc is (is it Damat?)

Cause I think discovering a secret goblinopolis is an appropriate time to pray to him/her

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 31, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We have already killed a lot of goblins with Aron and Snarls. If they communicate we are probably known. If we survive this we will be infamous among regional goblins. Maybe we will get tried as a war criminal for this at some point. Whether we succeed or fail here it seems likely that a lot more goblins are going to die today.

We are structurally set against demonic forces in the world. I believe these would count as Ogar forces (one of the Big Five), which is interesting to know about Goblins. We could try to change that, but currently that is the way it is. If we survive we can look around and see how they live. Is the there Goblin agriculture? Are there signs of preying on men? There are apparently the beginnings of art, which is possibly a noticeable difference between them and EyeScream, for instance. We don't have a very good set of distinctions for the differences among the Demonic. There are Men of a certain belief and everything else is Demonic and viewed as an enemy threat.

From a radical point of view we could consider descendants of Labaras as the 6th Demonic line. They just happen to look sufficiently humanoid to intermingle with and live cooperatively with humans. They just happen to have progressed from cave paintings to Bronze Era. Maybe all Demonic lines have examples of this. Whales and dolphins are intelligent for the Asherak. Minotuar are Quetzatl and clearly intelligent, bearing standard and decorating their armor. Leviathan might just be big honking collective intelligence like EyeScream. Dragoom? Various humans worship some of the various Demons. Why not the reverse? Perhaps we could convert this entire Gobbopolis?

Melachim are distinct from the Demonic in that they can Create. Demons are forces of destruction, perhaps. The Asherak story of creation claims Asherah as a creator, but we have no evidence. On the other hand we have heard two Melachim fighting over things they claim to have created. It is clearly possible to "switch sides" since we could become (and possibly are in this moment) Destroyers. We also have some evidence that we can function something like a Creator, if we develop that. Maybe that is also possible among various Demonic lines. Maybe these Goblins are attempting to Create or evolve in that way?

Maybe random metaphysics are flashing in front of me in relationship to our imminent Doom?

This message approved by Team :spergin:

Sogol fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 31, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

the_steve posted:

D H M
Azz may have had a hoof in landing us here, so it doesn't hurt to hedge our bets.

Also, confirm with Snarls if he still smells only one ogre, and if he smells anything else now.
Many smells but only one.

DarkCrawler posted:

Goblins are subhuman rats who need to be exterminated! What's Zepathan for "EST IST ZEIT FÜR RACHE!"?

D H
Virmusen ze goblin es rotten!

SerSpook posted:

Actually thinking about it Diogines, didn't a majority of people vote for there to be people either exploring the side tunnels or guards put upon them? Did that happen or did I misread the plans that had support?
I believe you may have misinterpreted it. B won, which was, send everyone down the middle. Q2 was to jog. Q3 was to send 5 men back to guard the donkeys.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 31, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I also thought we were covering the side tunnels. Welp.

Did we say goodbye to our donkey team?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

hollylolly posted:

I vote this too:

C - to find a better place to fight
H

Going with this. We are going to die of goblins.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DH

I hope this works. It is going to be so loving embarrassing for dad if we get murdered by goblins.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

D H and have plans for rotating tired dudes back and fresh dudes to the front.

We're in this for the long haul, probably. Maybe.

+1 and K

Smartarse, aid me in my first battle as a commander.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

DH

I hope this works. It is going to be so loving embarrassing for dad if we get murdered by goblins.

Ogre :colbert:

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"Men! The goblins are a multitude. We must make our stand at the top of the cave, so that none may escape." Make a guarded retreat back above all of the side passages. Our balls may be eager, but our asses are exposed and vulnerable.

But don't say it until the battle's actually about to start. Right now it'd sound like "EEEELLL!!! We're pretty safe for the moment, so we're going to find better fighting ground, OK? Just thought you should know."

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. D
2. H

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
As long as we are not out in the open where we can be completely surounded, then we can take a few hundred goblins on. The only thing to worry about is that ogre. if we are in a narrow enough tunnel, as he one we are in, then the ogre won't be able to swim a club with any force/room to wind up.

QUESTION: What king of weapons do ogres use? Like big logs as clubs? Spears?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ogres use clubs. Large pieces of wood usually. Sometimes they have rocks tied to the end, usually not.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

As long as we are not out in the open where we can be completely surounded, then we can take a few hundred goblins on. The only thing to worry about is that ogre. if we are in a narrow enough tunnel, as he one we are in, then the ogre won't be able to swim a club with any force/room to wind up.

QUESTION: What king of weapons do ogres use? Like big logs as clubs? Spears?

Seriously.

Enkidel is probably stronger than roughly the strongest person to have ever lived in our world. With him are like 5 dudes stronger or as strong as him, plus he has an item that lets him lead men more easily.

If we hold strong in a narrow tunnel and watch our flanks, we will not be killed here by the goblins unless they have thousands. They have a few hundred it seems. If they refuse to come and fight us in a narrow tunnel, we can fall back and burn them out as previously thought.

The Ogre, though, is a problem.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

HBar posted:

"Men! The goblins are a multitude. We must make our stand at the top of the cave, so that none may escape." Make a guarded retreat back above all of the side passages. Our balls may be eager, but our asses are exposed and vulnerable.

I already voted C, but this is what I want to say to our men to save face.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DarkCrawler posted:

Wir mussen die gob---

Diogines posted:

Virmusen ze goblin es rotten!
Aw.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think too put what we know about goblins out there...

We are about to learn how many five year olds a normal man can kill.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
C!

Goblin dicks are WORTHLESS, guys. We need to remember this place and come back with Aaron once we're done, not risk our men clearing this place now. Even if we win here, the cost of losing one man isnt worth the victory. We've given our men a win here, which was the whole point of this incursion. Lets back up and move on to our true goal.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Neraren posted:

C!

Goblin dicks are WORTHLESS, guys. We need to remember this place and come back with Aaron once we're done, not risk our men clearing this place now. Even if we win here, the cost of losing one man isnt worth the victory. We've given our men a win here, which was the whole point of this incursion. Lets back up and move on to our true goal.

There is an Ogre dick in there too though. Besides, this place will probably give us a bunch of cash, particularly since its so near Zepath meaning we can just run back real quick with like a full Ogre corpse and a bunch of goblin poo poo and sell it.

Get like 100 pounds of silver and then we can stock up on even more poo poo and hunt Minotaurs for the rest of our dicks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What worries me is, we're very likely going to have casualties. How severe? No clue. Maybe treatable injuries, maybe death, that's up to Diog and whatever system he uses to determine this stuff.
The point is, we're about to have our group's first real fight, and assuming we don't die, we're fixing to make a tidy profit.
How many balls are we going to lose when we go back to Zepath to vendor our monster drops? How many are going to decide "Well, that was fun. Helped kill an ogre and an impressive number of goblins, but I don't want to press my luck and get greedy and end up like the dead guys, so I'm going to cash out here." , along with the ones who can't fight because they got injured ?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
One thousand dead goblins is not worth one dead member of the Balls, bottom line. Lets go back before we're pincered.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
The only thing I'm worried about is our Balls getting tired of thrusting against warm meat for hours on end. Do they have the stamina necessary to keep it up?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

^^We certainly need the practice!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think we'd benefit from laying out what we know here:

1. Goblins in the hundreds at the very least.
2. Each goblin is weaker than a man in all likelihood.
3. There are likely tunnels we can be flanked from behind us.
4. There is an Ogre.
5. Ogres are supposedly dumb; so are goblins, but they have cave drawings so who knows?
6. Ogres are stronger than Minotaurs, and can survive an arrow to the eye.
7. Lucky shots to the neck or eye can probably kill or severely injure one; the balls too.
8. The Ogre possibly has to crawl in the tunnel to reach us.
9. Goblins aren't a particularly heroic thing to kill, and the goblin dicks are worthless to us in our quest.

Y'all can make of that what you will, I think at the very least we need to take care of those side tunnels.

In light of this I am one again proposing we send men to plug the tunnels.

edit: Actually gently caress it. I think this is a good spot to kill, and I think if we plug the tunnels we have a shot at it, I don't think it'll be voted for though. Changing from D to C though not a full on retreat. I want to go ahead and implement the fire plan if we aren't chased out.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 31, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You jogged for five or ten minutes and many goblins are much closer than that, in front of you.

The stretch of tunnel you are in now only has two directions. Forward and back. You might be flanked from behind, but at most, you have to worry about two sides.

As described in the last update, you passed other branching tunnels on the way here as you chased them.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Might I suggest the D voters change vote to B?

B has a number of bonuses. We have only two ways to defend, and we force whatever comes for us to enter the tunnel. That effectively takes the Ogre out of the picture until we've given the goblins a proper route. If they don't come we can always advance later.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Even if we stand our ground or cause a rout of the goblins and ogre, most likely there is a bigger tunnel in the back somewhere of that large cavern we just realized is ahead of us, and the goblins and or ogre will go out that way and eat our donkeys and the five guys we sent out there.

We are in the middle of a tight tunnel and know there are at least two others next to us that goblins could swarm down. If we stand here we will get goblins in front and behind our Balls. It will be extremely difficult to get out. If we go to the end of the tunnel/entrance of the big cavern, the same thing can happen except we'll probably have a massive ogre in front of us trying to smash us like the Hulk. We should retreat to the initial tunnel entrance if we want to make a stand.

If no goblins chase us then we should build a really huge fire inside the front of the cave, or where it splits in three, and just leave.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

The main issue I see at the moment is that we've left our asses fairly vulnerable. We've only got 5 farmers protecting them, and being outside theres little to prevent them from being swarmed in all sides. Also keep in mind that while they're fighting they've somehow got to try and control there donkeys that are going to be going ballistic. This really seems like a recipe for disaster.
Whatever we do, we need to make sure the other two exits are blocked.

(Actual vote incoming. I'm still trying to weigh up what exact strategy to pick, but I thought its worth reminding everyone that our supplies are currently very vulnerable to counterattack.)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I am honestly all for trading a Ball for a dead Ogre and dead goblin city. I think that's a fair trade off not only in terms of foreskins, wealth (including for the dead man's family), but also in terms of insuring the safety of everyone. This is a p big deal and might even be the next monster invasion of Zepath, considering the potential numbers and how close to the city it is.

But, eh, thinking about it I just wanna kill some harpies or minotaurs or something. I don't know, this could be cool, but it has potential to go really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Just wait until that "mysterious draft" suggesting a cavern ahead turns out to be a massive chasm that we run blindly into.