Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Thank loving christ that the only nascar races I give a poo poo about anymore are the road tracks. But sweet gently caress this is stupid, even for them.

But it's ok I'm sure this will finally provide them the edge they need to overtake the NFL in ratings come fall. Right guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LASTCAR posted:

In as Hashtag LASTCAR. :getin:

Wow that's dumb. I seriously don't understand what NASCAR's thinking.

"IMPACT MOMENTS"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I pledge to boo the gently caress out of whatever NFL franchise Brian France buys into with his golden parachute someday, because he's trying his damndest to make it happen.

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah that sucks. Looks like the C list will once again be a desert of start 'n parkers. At least Austin Dillon is on the C list but after 9 races using him its Danica, a start 'n park or a one off entry from somebody like Michael Waltrip or Ron Fellows or something.

The B list has a lot of options though which is nice. Best looking B group in a couple years I'd say.

Kyle Larson's on the C list, as probably the entire rookie class will be.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You're locked in once you get a single win, and each additional win is only worth 3 bonus points. So literally who gives a poo poo about the rest of the races once you've won one?

It's like they are intentionally trying to make the championship worthless.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
So that we can properly criticize this, here are all the particulars:

- After race 26, the chase grid is set- the top 15, based on races won, and then point totals advance to the Chase Grid. The 16th slot is reserved for the points leader at the time, if he has not won a race. Otherwise, it goes on wins, if there is anyone on the outside looking in, or on points scored. The one proviso for this is that any race winner must be in the top 30 in the points standings after race 26 AND must have attempted to qualify for all 26 races. According to NASCAR the qualifying rule can be waived "in extreme circumstances", but the top-30 requirement is a firm one. The top 16 get their points total adjusted to 2,000 points plus 3 points for every win in the first 26 races.

- Challenger Round (Chicagoland, New Hampshire, Dover)- the top 12 in points advance. Any driver who wins one of these three races automatically qualifies for the next round. The 12 advancing drivers have their point totals reset to 3,000. The four eliminated drivers have their point totals reset to 2,000 plus whatever points they earned in the Challenger Round.

- Contender Round (Kansas, Charlotte, Talladega)- The top 8 in points advance. Any driver who wins one of these three races automatically advances to the next round. The 8 advancing drivers have their point totals reset to 4,000. The 4 eliminated drivers have their point totals reset to 2,000, plus whatever points they have earned in the Challenger and Contender Rounds.

- Eliminator Round (Martinsville, Texas, Phoenix)- The top 4 in points advance. Any driver who wins one of these three races automatically advances to the next round. The 4 advancing drivers have their point totals reset to 5,000. The 4 eliminated drivers have their point totals reset to 2,000 plus whatever they have earned in the Challenger, Contender, and Eliminator Rounds.

- Homestead- :siren:WINNER TAKE ALL:siren: The highest finisher among the 4 remaining drivers is the Champion. All four drivers enter this race tied in points, and there will be NO bonus points for leading a lap, or most laps led.

So, theoretically someone could win 10 of the first 26, then have 3 breakdowns, and be eliminated, and someone else could win 0 races, run sold for the year, and finish 25th at Homestead, as long as he's the first candidate in the finishing order.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

"IMPACT MOMENTS"

DaleTurningRight.jpg

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I've watched pro wrestling "tournaments" that make more sense than this garbage. The fantasy league is the only reason I'm bothering to follow it at all anymore.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dynamite Dog posted:

DaleTurningRight.jpg

:drat:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's amazing ever since the decline in popularity began how much they keep loving with the system. It's not the system, guys

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Breaking news...yes it seems that Batista is challenging for the NASCAR Sprint Cup in a Tables, Ladders, & Chairs match!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Just replace the season with a single race at Daytona, Royal Rumble style. Then when only one driver is alive and running you call him undisputed heavyweight champ of NASCAR and then Brian France comes out and bashes his skull in with a black baseball bat with a number 3 on it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

shyduck posted:

It's amazing ever since the decline in popularity began how much they keep loving with the system. It's not the system, guys

It's rather incredible how they've chased away their core demo, along with the "casual fan" they got from '98 to '06.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

Breaking news...yes it seems that Batista is challenging for the NASCAR Sprint Cup in a Tables, Ladders, & Chairs match!

America when Dale Junyer loses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXRoe3vui0

(I was hoping for an excuse to post that in here for some ungodly reason, and Peanut gave me a softball. :hfive:)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

America when Dale Junyer loses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXRoe3vui0

(I was hoping for an excuse to post that in here for some ungodly reason, and Peanut gave me a softball. :hfive:)

Batista is really bad can he even fit in a car??? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNpAAg5sE6Q

oh shi-

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kevin Harvick: "HEY. Kyle Busch. ROWDAAYYYYY. You think you're tough, huh? You've got 7 wins this year, but that doesn't mean poo poo. You know why? Because the rest of the season doesn't matter, baby. And at Winner Take All, it's all about me. I still owe you a walling from Darlington. And I am th--"

Allen Bestwick: "Oh, wait...WAIT A SECOND..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rItulX_r-0A

"...THAT'S KYLE BUSCH'S MUSIC!"

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

Dynamite Dog posted:

Just replace the season with a single race at Daytona, Royal Rumble style. Then when only one driver is alive and running you call him undisputed heavyweight champ of NASCAR and then Brian France comes out and bashes his skull in with a black baseball bat with a number 3 on it.

Keep the first 26 races, then take the 16 chase drivers and run them in a trailer race on the Seekonk Speedway Figure-8. If a driver goes around the jumps instead of over them, they're disqualified.

SwampYankee fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 30, 2014

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
edit: posted twice

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I saw a proposal for a format a lot like this one during a focus group back in 2010. I told them it was dumb then and thought the idea was dead when we got the new points system for 2011. Guess not. Can't wait for whichever random driver wins the crapshoot at Talladega to make the Chase.

In the fantasy league as Parkour Kligerman.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Someone call Brian France, I've got an idea!

If one :siren:WINNER TAKE ALL:siren: race is good, what about...36?

The winner of the Daytona 500 is the "provisional Champion". If he keeps winning, he stays the champ, and if someone else wins, they're the champion. Whoever wins Homestead gets the big prize. Everyone's in the Chase! And the excitement goes ALL YEAR LONG!

Have I got a future at NASCAR, or what?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hell hath froze over.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Kwik posted:

So that we can properly criticize this, here are all the particulars:

For an attempt to simplify the oh-so-confusing points racing that the filthy casuals don't understand, there sure is a lot of fancy mathematics being thrown around to place the guys who get eliminated near the end. I can't wait to hear the announcers try to explain this every three races in a way that makes any amount of sense.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Surprised there's not a rule granting the offspring of former champions an automatic berth into the final four. One positive is that at least this format does allow for injured drivers to sit out a handful of races & retain a shot at the title. Also hoping for Blaney, Allgaier or someone like that to Talladega their way into the chase.

Brian France posted:

"The casual fan doesn't understand points racing and this clears all that & puts more emphasis on winning"

Yes, this convoluted system is so much simpler than "whoever accumulates the most points during the season is the champion".

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Well, I'm in as Earnhardt Jr. 2014 Champion. This is all a crock of poo poo, let's watch it burn, etc etc etc

Oh wait what the gently caress do I care?

:hawksin:

Seriously though, is F1 really that bad? Because I have the feeling this season is going to be worse than terrible.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What the gently caress is with resetting the points to 3,000 and 4,000 if everyone except the champion just goes back to 2,000 anyway? Why do this at all?

"The Packers and 49ers get their W/L reset to 10-0 before their playoff game. The loser gets reset to their original season record plus one loss"

Its like some alien took control that doesn't really understand what the gently caress.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elitist Bitch posted:

Well, I'm in as Earnhardt Jr. 2014 Champion. This is all a crock of poo poo, let's watch it burn, etc etc etc

Oh wait what the gently caress do I care?

:hawksin:

Seriously though, is F1 really that bad? Because I have the feeling this season is going to be worse than terrible.

Watch IndyCar, touring cars and endurance racing if you want to see good races. F1 *might* be good with the new rules but I'm dubious.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm glad NASCAR and their incredible track record with judgement calls will have the potential to make more of them, with championships, race wins and millions of dollars of prize money on the line! :suicide:

Bob Pockrass wrote something else to the same effect:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/..._medium=twitter

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

mearn posted:

I saw a proposal for a format a lot like this one during a focus group back in 2010. I told them it was dumb then and thought the idea was dead when we got the new points system for 2011. Guess not. Can't wait for whichever random driver wins the crapshoot at Talladega to make the Chase.

Oh god yeah, that's a deciding race. They got there wish to literally make 30 car crashes because everyone is going full tilt to get in or stay in.

Cannot Find Server posted:

Watch IndyCar, touring cars and endurance racing if you want to see good races. F1 *might* be good with the new rules but I'm dubious.

It'd be hilarious for the insanity of using completely new engines and systems and hopefully having 96 Monaco like attrition (what was it 3 or 4 cars were still running?). So who'd a thunk it that Indycars would have the most competent and quiet offseason of all motorsports. Few years ago nope.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well F1 should be pretty interesting this season with the new engines and major regulation changes, even with the new double points at the last race points system, which I did not think could be topped in its sheer idiocy until I got wind of the new NASCAR chase format. Plus Red Bull is having major problems so far at the first test of the season, so that might bode well for this season.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IndyCar, USAC and WOO are probably the three most preferable options if you're looking to follow an American Racing Series untouched by the France Family.

F1 is getting rather NASCAR-like as of late. I still kind of like it, but it's left a lot to be desired recently.

Keep your money in :911: and support AOWR!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
USAC is poo poo don't support them

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kwik posted:

Someone call Brian France, I've got an idea!

If one :siren:WINNER TAKE ALL:siren: race is good, what about...36?

The winner of the Daytona 500 is the "provisional Champion". If he keeps winning, he stays the champ, and if someone else wins, they're the champion. Whoever wins Homestead gets the big prize. Everyone's in the Chase! And the excitement goes ALL YEAR LONG!

Have I got a future at NASCAR, or what?

A nine-month ladder match. SASCARasslin' goons, what say you?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Steve loving Park was one race from being a champion in 2000

http://nascarnomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/standings_survey_final_v5.xlsx

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hmm this system owns IMO

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

What the gently caress is with resetting the points to 3,000 and 4,000 if everyone except the champion just goes back to 2,000 anyway? Why do this at all?

"The Packers and 49ers get their W/L reset to 10-0 before their playoff game. The loser gets reset to their original season record plus one loss"

Its like some alien took control that doesn't really understand what the gently caress.

To be fair, this one, after a bit of thinking and reading around does make some sense. After the cuts from 16 to 12, 12 to 8 and 8 to 4 the surviving drivers will all be tied on points. In other words, if someone gets hot in the first chase segment and wins 2 of the 3 races, he is not going to have an advantage in the next round. So, after Dover you are going to have a 12-way tie at 3,000 points, after Talladega, an 8-way tie at 4,000 points, and after Phoenix, a 4-way tie at 5,000. Dropping the eliminated drivers back down to 2,000 plus whatever they've rightfully earned in the Chase races still keeps something for the rest to race for, theoretically the driver eliminated from the Chase in 16th place can still finish as high as 5th in the final standings, with the requisite prize money that will carry. The 4 who go into Homestead are going to finish 1st-4th in some order, the rest are still racing for 5th on down.

What is going to really screw with this is if there are more than 16 winners in the first 26 races (and for reference, there were 12 different winners in the first 26 last year). Everyone is hearing "Win, and you're in!" Except, if there are 17 winners, then at least 1 and maybe 2 are NOT going to be in. The driver in 17th in points among winning drivers will be out, and the one in 16th might be out if the points leader has no wins.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Brian France watched BASEketball and was inspired by its playoff system.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Go support the Pirelli World Challenge too.

They're pretty awesome.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Brian France watched BASEketball and was inspired by its playoff system.

Can't wait for the sack races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kwik posted:

To be fair, this one, after a bit of thinking and reading around does make some sense. After the cuts from 16 to 12, 12 to 8 and 8 to 4 the surviving drivers will all be tied on points. In other words, if someone gets hot in the first chase segment and wins 2 of the 3 races, he is not going to have an advantage in the next round. So, after Dover you are going to have a 12-way tie at 3,000 points, after Talladega, an 8-way tie at 4,000 points, and after Phoenix, a 4-way tie at 5,000. Dropping the eliminated drivers back down to 2,000 plus whatever they've rightfully earned in the Chase races still keeps something for the rest to race for, theoretically the driver eliminated from the Chase in 16th place can still finish as high as 5th in the final standings, with the requisite prize money that will carry. The 4 who go into Homestead are going to finish 1st-4th in some order, the rest are still racing for 5th on down.

What is going to really screw with this is if there are more than 16 winners in the first 26 races (and for reference, there were 12 different winners in the first 26 last year). Everyone is hearing "Win, and you're in!" Except, if there are 17 winners, then at least 1 and maybe 2 are NOT going to be in. The driver in 17th in points among winning drivers will be out, and the one in 16th might be out if the points leader has no wins.

That makes no sense at all mate

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are two things that can happen here, which is that either someone who was one of the best drivers of the year wins the title, in which case, who cares, or someone comedically bad like Dale Junior wins, in which case NASCAR is loving dead and I hate it. Neither of these options are very good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There are two things that can happen here, which is that either someone who was one of the best drivers of the year wins the title, in which case, who cares, or someone comedically bad like Dale Junior wins, in which case NASCAR is loving dead and I hate it. Neither of these options are very good at all.

You're 2005 Champion...

• Locked thread