Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Well so much for the motorcycle show this year. I'm working 16 hour days all weekend. Maybe next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you go to the show, be sure to post your thoughts in the IMS thread, so I can use it as a catalyst to further troll clutchpuck

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you go to the show, be sure to post your thoughts in the IMS thread, so I can use it as a catalyst to further troll clutchpuck

If I could get an Indian rep on camera taking a dump on a road king would that suffice?

I'll see you guys at 3 by the food court. Not sure I have your phone number McLaren. I'll email you.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I just bought my ticket. If you need a discount code, em14go will save you $4 I think.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Few of us are waiting, anyone else coming?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Post a trip report, I'm considering going tomorrow. Gotta get a pic of me on the grom.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

We had a good time but honestly the show was a bit meh... really just sat on a bunch of bikes. We got there just in time to miss a stunting demonstration. The highlight probably was sitting on the Grom. It's so small and light but at the same time doesn't feel like you're sitting on a mini bike. Seems like it would be tons to have to just gently caress around on in the city or around campgrounds.

All the major makes were there except KTM (except for a dealer that had a couple Adventures) and Aprilia which were the two I would have liked to see most. Indian really went all out to out-Harley Harley. They were selling soooo much crap there and half their bikes were absolutely covered in leather tassels.

Also so many hideous customs. My favorite was probably the Obama bike.

If you're going tomorrow and don't have tickets, I used coupon code PRG14E this morning and it still worked for $5 off.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

McLarenF1 posted:

Few of us are waiting, anyone else coming?

Didn't get there till 4:30, and was pretty done by 5:30. Whit and I did get on the Brammo Empulse wheelie simulator machine they had set up. It was cool to pull the throttle on a Brammo and get a feel for the electric, but the Harley XR1200R version I tried at Daytona was a lot more fun to wheelie.

I also talked to the Zero Cycles rep. He said that Coleman's is now an official dealer, and that they've shipped the Falls Church store a bunch of demo bikes, which should be available to demo the week after next. I hate Coleman's, but might stop in to test drive.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not enough tickets sold for Why We Ride, event canceled :( I believe it's on Netflix DVD though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hot sauce posted:

Not enough tickets sold for Why We Ride, event canceled :( I believe it's on Netflix DVD though.

More like "Why your kids should ride with you because it'll make your family a real family".

(it was ok)

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

More like "Why your kids should ride with you because it'll make your family a real family".

(it was ok)
This review makes me sad, cause I was excited about doing it as a movie night or something, and now I'm not really interested.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We could all go see the Lego Movie instead

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Or keeping with a theme, Frozen.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

We could all go see the Lego Movie instead

Yes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

(it was ok)
I saw it on the youtubes, I thought it was fairly crap. Some good interviewees, like Ted Simon, but the movie itself seemed like it was patched together by a director who had no concept for it other than "BIKES RULE MAN THEY'RE EPIC!" Like an hour and a half of slomo shots of people doing completely uninteresting things with completely uninteresting bikes. Just cruising along on an FJR or polishing the chrome on a new Harley, with deep spiritual orchestral music crescendos playing in the background. And voiceovers from people with no script who aren't eloquent.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

It's supposed to get up to the 50s (!) this weekend. Anybody up for a pre super bowl ride on Sunday?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

It's supposed to get up to the 50s (!) this weekend. Anybody up for a pre super bowl ride on Sunday?

Heck yes.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Would love to join if my bike was accessible :smithicide: Spring can't come soon enough

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'd love to as well, but I'd have to re-winterize the bastard. :argh:

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

hot sauce posted:

Would love to join if my bike was accessible :smithicide: Spring can't come soon enough
I might drive up there this Saturday if you're that desperate to get the bike out, but we've likely got a solid 6 weeks of winter left bro.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah I can hold off, I'm just getting a little stir crazy without the bike. I agree it's going to be a few more weeks of snow and below freezing temps :(

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I'll pour out a 40 of lacquered gas for you on Sunday if I can unwrap my frozen fingers from the bar.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
It'll hit the high for about 15 minutes, and probably be freezing rain most of the day, so I'll pass on a ride.

I've been making due by filling my house with engine paint fumes and flinging drill swarf all over the garage. Hopefully I can get the Honda reassembled in the next couple weeks.

Also, trips to Baltimore, since that's the closest place I can find that knows what the hell they're doing with GP suspension.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Weather's looking pretty good for tomorrow as far as I can see. 50 by noonish and no precipitation. I probably should be home by 5 or so. Koruthaiolos you still up for a ride?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Definitely, and back by 5:00 would be perfect. Any idea where you'd want to ride to? I was thinking about southern MD but I don't know any of the roads in that direction.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I've been down the eastern western shore with hot sauce. It's pretty but straight and flat on asphalt. Not sure if there's any dirt/gravel that way but if there is that would be a great day.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you forgot out route we took, it was 210 south to 225 then over to rt 6. All of those roads in the middle of Charles County are scenic and would be fun to get lost on. Remember, the good roads don't start until the end of rt 210. Don't know of any dirt roads that are public property though.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

If we want to do some gravel roads then I think either up to Frederick again or out to Virginia. Looking around online the only things I see in southern Maryland are Budd's Creek and Wimcomico Motorsports Park (which looks like it could be fun but costs $40 for a day).

I don't really care what type of riding we do, I just need to get out there and do something other than my commute.

What time do you want to head out?

E: Alternatively, if we go south and take 301 into Virginia we could hit some of the stuff in this post I just found but I'm not sure how much time that would take.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 2, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I'm on my phone so I'm having trouble seeing how far that southern VA stuff is. Looks like fun riding from the pictures if you think the commute's worth it. Otherwise let's just bomb around MD. We can always come back through Anacostia and roll around with the Wheelie Boyzzzzz for a bit.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, it's about an hour and a half to get to the start of their route. We can head in that general direction and see where we end up.

Where do you want to meet up? If we're going to be heading south somewhere on the east side of the city might be better than the Exxon station so we're not going out of the way. I was thinking around 8:00?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

8 sounds good. Name the place to meet. You know the route.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

How about at the gas station across the street from the RFK race track? I found a supposedly good route that goes from about Suitland down to near Waldorf. From there we can play it by ear.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Great. I'll see you there at 8.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Where'd you guys end up riding?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

We hit some back roads between DC and Nice Bridge (where 301 crosses the Potomac), ended up in Fredericksburg for lunch and then headed back. 218 in Virginia was a really nice ride. Nothing super twisty but some nice sweepers, no stop signs, little traffic, and some nice scenary . The weather was absolutely beautiful, really glad we went out.

I have some video I'll try to put up later of where we rode down a construction/access road under some power lines. It had really large gravel which was almost impossible to ride on and then we had to get up a super steep hill. The video isn't the best, but it looked like Ought Ten was riding a rodeo bull going up. I was expecting to see him get thrown off at any moment but he kept it together and made it up.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, it was a great ride. We missed the rest of you guys. HNasty, we saw another GT down in Frederick, black and white with the fairing on.

I'm half dreading watching the video but man was that fun. We really need to go take that dirt class. Also the bridge was terrifying. Felt like the jersey barrier only came up to my knees. I spent most of the trip across wondering if my helmet would save me from the fall and if it would matter because I was going to drown regardless.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The 301 bridge even more terrifying when you're in traffic. If you are ever stopped on it, check out the support beams and other structural parts. It's one of the few bridges I feel genuinely unsafe on. The recent toll increase is supposedly to repair it during the next few years.

As for that dirt class, I'm still in 100% during a nice spring weekend. For anyone else wondering, it's a 2 day dirt riding class down in NC a few of us had discussed going to last year but plans fizzled out. Everyone is welcome, I believe we are going to camp or rent a cheap hotel nearby.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What was the name of it again? I want to torture myself while it's rainy and cold.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I am absolutely in for the dirt school.

Here's the video of the gravel hill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4XbURhW_oc

And for anybody who doesn't know the bridge we're talking about, it's this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

What was the name of it again? I want to torture myself while it's rainy and cold.

http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html

If someone has a car, I'm down to go down anytime. If we want to ride down we should probably wait until it gets a little warmer, it's like 5 hours on the highway from DC.

That is awesome. You guys are going to make me spend money on a sumo sooner rather than later. Also, I'm pretty sure ought ten would have been bucked off if it wasn't for that hi-viz body suit.

• Locked thread