Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Cygni posted:

Unironically agreed.

Yeah. gently caress COTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Kilonum posted:

Lime Rock Park. I don't care how much of a logistics nightmare it would be to have a race in the middle of the NW Connecticut woods. :colbert:

Holy poo poo that would be an amazing race if they could accommodate it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I don't hate COTA per say. Just...I don't rate it high in terms of events I'd like to see on the schedule.

The schedule needs ovals (cue Viking appearance), so places like Phoenix, MIS, Gateway, New Hampshire, Kansas, Kentucky, Homestead, and Chicagoland, I already put much higher on the wishlist.

In terms of road courses? I think I'd much rather have us talking about Road America, Watkins-Glen, Portland, Laguna Seca, Mexico City, Montreal, Cleveland (bias) over COTA.

Now if the choice is between that place and no place at all? Than yeah, what the hell, I need another race weekend to watch. Same goes with the GP of Indy, which I'm not thrilled about, but I'm happy it gives me another excuse to watch a race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The big problem with Lime Rock is that its facilities are tiny. The whole IndyCar parade, including engine, chassis, tire, medical, etc support haulers, would be a tight fit in the little truck parking space they have. Pretty much no room for hospitality, which is the lifeblood of an IndyCar team.

Skip Barber was going to spend $2m upgrading the facilities, including expanding the paddock space, but when USCC didn't put him on the calendar this year he put the plans on hold.

Skip has done a ton for US racing, it would be awesome if IndyCar could work out some favorable sanctioning terms for a date.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The big problem with Lime Rock is that its facilities are tiny. The whole IndyCar parade, including engine, chassis, tire, medical, etc support haulers, would be a tight fit in the little truck parking space they have. Pretty much no room for hospitality, which is the lifeblood of an IndyCar team.

Skip Barber was going to spend $2m upgrading the facilities, including expanding the paddock space, but when USCC didn't put him on the calendar this year he put the plans on hold.

Skip has done a ton for US racing, it would be awesome if IndyCar could work out some favorable sanctioning terms for a date.

does it have enough run-off space? It's a hell of a bullring of a road course and a legend, but man, that would be really tight all around.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

does it have enough run-off space? It's a hell of a bullring of a road course and a legend, but man, that would be really tight all around.

Lack of runoff didn't stop them from running Watkins Glen.

P.S. please go back to Watkins Glen, IndyCar :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At least in iRacing, Watkins Glen feels a whole lot less "HOLY poo poo I AM GOING TO DIE" whereas a quick lap at Lime Rock feels like you are cheating virtual death at every corner.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They pushed back the wall at the final turn a few years ago and IndyCar would run the kink at the top of the hill obviously... but yeah, it would probably need facility upgrades across the board for IndyCar to actually run a race and be satisfied that they (and the track) could turn a profit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least in iRacing, Watkins Glen feels a whole lot less "HOLY poo poo I AM GOING TO DIE" whereas a quick lap at Lime Rock feels like you are cheating virtual death at every corner.

Glen is tight, and there are places where you can wreck and block the track. But lime rock has turns 5 and 6 with no run off which probably wouldn't go down so well.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cygni posted:

They pushed back the wall at the final turn a few years ago and IndyCar would run the kink at the top of the hill obviously... but yeah, it would probably need facility upgrades across the board for IndyCar to actually run a race and be satisfied that they (and the track) could turn a profit.

Last time I was there, the old scoreboard at the end of the MainSam Posey Straight gave up the ghost halfway through the Grand-Am race.

Also, anyone know what's going on with the potential Providence race?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cannot Find Server posted:

P.S. please go back to Watkins Glen, IndyCar :smith:

iRacing IndyCar is at The Glen this week, does that count?

Cygni posted:

The big problem with Lime Rock is that its facilities are tiny.

Sounds like the perfect venue for Champ Car

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Cygni posted:

Unironically agreed.

Peanut President posted:

Yeah. gently caress COTA.

I guess that makes sense and is totally rational and reasonable.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Oh yeah I'd rather see Indycar at roadcourse 'x' (it just needs millions of dollars upgrades to still be not that great for highspeed openwheel racing). As opposed to a good circuit (despite the Tilke pedigree) that's super modern and ready to go.

And if they're worried about second for second comparisons to F1, just run a different track configuration and then it will be apples to oranges (which it is anyway).

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I don't think the hate for COTA is deserved. It's a cool track, and I would love to watch an Indy race there.

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 31, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Unless the track is literally falling apart, I don't care how bad the it is as long as they pick up more races.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

:laffo: nope

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

front wing flexing posted:

I guess that makes sense and is totally rational and reasonable.

COTA has awful sightlines, it's in the desert, it looks like poo poo on tv, the racing is atrocious. The layout is a frankensteinian mish mash of 10 different tracks with no character. I'd rather they run a street course in a parking lot than that dump.

Reasons for COTA: Uhh formula 1 runs there :downs:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Peanut President posted:

COTA has awful sightlines, it's in the desert, it looks like poo poo on tv, the racing is atrocious. The layout is a frankensteinian mish mash of 10 different tracks with no character. I'd rather they run a street course in a parking lot than that dump.

The only thing that's true in your post is that it's basically in a desert. But a lot of race tracks are in the desert.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

Yurp. All those medium-high speed aero dependent sweepers are neat for F1, since they just resort to the MEGA ULTRA BOOST PASS button on the straights anyway, but every other series that has run there has just gotten strung out through them. And if a track has ever looked more boring on TV, I've never seen it.

Oh, and you could fit the combined total attendance of all the sportscar races there in like 1 grand stand at Long Beach so yeah.

But again, it doesnt matter what we think. Basically anybody short of Kim Jong Un could walk into the IndyCar office today with a $3m check and get a race.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The only thing that's true in your post is that it's basically in a desert. But a lot of race tracks are in the desert.

Oh okay. You asked for reasons why COTA is poo poo and when given an answer you reply "nuh-uh". :bravo:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cygni posted:

But again, it doesnt matter what we think. Basically anybody short of Kim Jong Un could walk into the IndyCar office today with a $3m check and get a race.

Even then, I eagerly await the North Korea GP, they could do a totally bitchin' parking lot flat oval

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Peanut President posted:

Oh okay. You asked for reasons why COTA is poo poo and when given an answer you reply "nuh-uh". :bravo:

Well, by all accounts, the racing has been awesome there. Despite being a Tilkedrome the past two F1 races have met nothing but praise drivers and fans alike. I don't think it looks like poo poo on TV and I've watched every major race that's been broadcast from there (F1, MotoGP, the V8s). You can't tell me the street courses in Indycar are good for TV, they can only show one corner at a time because of the jersey barriers and high fences. I can't speak to the in person viewing because I haven't been there. But pretty much every non-oval race I've ever been to as an extremely limited view of the race.

And my reason for saying ICS should run there isn't because F1 runs there. F1 could drop the track and I'd still say that ICS should run there.

Another reason to run there is the wear and tear on the cars and drivers that these street courses cause. They don't really prep them in a level that is truly safe and conducive to racing.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Cygni posted:

Yurp. All those medium-high speed aero dependent sweepers are neat for F1, since they just resort to the MEGA ULTRA BOOST PASS button on the straights anyway

Push to pass?

quote:

Yeah, pretty much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If Kim Jong Un showed up with $3m they'd still at least consider it, at this point.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

If the series makes a rule modification for that race so it could be used on every lap in the race without "running out" (no set # of pushes remaining), that might work.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

IOwnCalculus posted:

If Kim Jong Un showed up with $3m they'd still at least consider it, at this point.

It might cost Kim a bit more, but if anyone comes to Indy with a plan to get cars there and back again without costing too much, and the proverbial dump truck full of cash, and they're gonna get a date.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Push to pass would need a hundred goddamn HP and be usable twice a lap to come near that flappy wing horseshit.

In sad news, the Oriol Servia to RLL news was apparently premature. :( Not a done deal yet, still waiting on this whole National Guard thing to play out.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:argh: My gimmick is not as gimmicky as that other gimmick!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

But nothing is as gimmicky as the new NASCAR Chase format...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It sure isn't, thank god.

Also wickaruling myself.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Cygni posted:

It sure isn't, thank god.

Also wickaruling myself.

What's the wicka rule?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
:frogsiren: IMS Bronze Badges are now on sale! :frogsiren:

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/eventinfo/35217-Gasoline-Alley-Access/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I've always considered getting one, but usually my visits to the track have a corporate sponsor so gasoline alley/pit lane access is included. If I ever got a job downtown I might get one, get off work and go watch happy hour on my way home? Yes please.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

What's the wicka rule?

F1 chat in the other racing threads. Speaking of that, havent seen wicka around in a while...

Also yesterday was the homologation day for any engine changes for 2014. Both manufacturers had pretty big changes, apparently. Honda went to twin turbos obviously, but also got a whole new fuel and ignition system. Not sure what Chevy did, but it was enough that they were losing engines in the early testing. Guess we will see.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

I've always considered getting one, but usually my visits to the track have a corporate sponsor so gasoline alley/pit lane access is included. If I ever got a job downtown I might get one, get off work and go watch happy hour on my way home? Yes please.

Must be nice to get all that corporate hospitality :colbert:

I'm only gonna be there for 4 days (Thu-Sun) for the 500 and it's well worth the $125 to get one.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
I hate COTA for entirely different reasons. I think new racetracks in the US are always a good thing given that a combination of the economy, apathy of millennials to racing, and urban sprawl is doing its best to kill all racetracks. That being said, it seems like COTA has a massive stick up its rear end. Eschewing even a nod to American racing culture, daring to call itself Circuit of the Americas as if to say its better than Long Beach, Road America, Mid Ohio and the others that have come before it. It doesn't seem like it has that low key atmosphere that makes American Motorsports the best experience and value in the whole world IMO.

So yeah, long story short its the loving New Guy that thinks hes king poo poo. It is, at best an average Tilkedrome that can get hosed until it changes its name to something less stupid, hosts a chumpcar/Lemons race and works to accommodate something other than the FIA sanctioned series. This racetrack looks to me what an American walking around Europe with Jorts, gym shoes and a hat that says "Back to Back World War Champs" looks like.

Not an entirely logical argument I'll agree, but neither is spending millions of dollars on a car that does nothing but go in circles real fast.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

COTA is within driving distance and not an oval and if you were wondering why that's such a big deal it's because other than dirt tracks, that's about it. If you are talking about the southern half of an entire timezone, COTA's pretty drat well laid out because it actually exists. I want to see Indy there as soon as possible.

The name is dumb and pretentious but they built it by Austin, which is a city that's always thought highly of itself vs. its practical intelligence. :v:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I hate COTA for entirely different reasons. I think new racetracks in the US are always a good thing given that a combination of the economy, apathy of millennials to racing, and urban sprawl is doing its best to kill all racetracks. That being said, it seems like COTA has a massive stick up its rear end. Eschewing even a nod to American racing culture, daring to call itself Circuit of the Americas as if to say its better than Long Beach, Road America, Mid Ohio and the others that have come before it. It doesn't seem like it has that low key atmosphere that makes American Motorsports the best experience and value in the whole world IMO.

So yeah, long story short its the loving New Guy that thinks hes king poo poo. It is, at best an average Tilkedrome that can get hosed until it changes its name to something less stupid, hosts a chumpcar/Lemons race and works to accommodate something other than the FIA sanctioned series. This racetrack looks to me what an American walking around Europe with Jorts, gym shoes and a hat that says "Back to Back World War Champs" looks like.

Not an entirely logical argument I'll agree, but neither is spending millions of dollars on a car that does nothing but go in circles real fast.

This is also perfectly valid. Nevermind the fact that it was built because america doesn't have any racetracks according to the FIA.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
The name "Circuit of the Americas" is as Austin as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The only real cool thing about CotA is the elevation change, that owns. The rest is new and shiny and modern, so it seems cooler than it is, but outside of those two things it's never going to be on the level of Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, the Glen etc. etc.

It's a solid road course but way over-hyped, and I don't know that it can sustain itself when F1 inevitably pulls out.

e- though when they tear it down it will take the thread less than a year (myself included) to start remembering races fondly like we do other mediocre tracks such as North Wilkesboro

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 1, 2014

• Locked thread