Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Argue posted:

Was the tag a reference to anything? I didn't quite follow what was happening other than Duncan triggering weird poo poo.
I was reminded of the season 2 zombie episode when the military intervened. Maybe that's like a speed dial for bombing the school in case of another "outbreak."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A good episode to wash down the disappointment of last week. Annie's character is so much more interesting when its not all about Jeff.

VagueRant posted:

What's with all the Brie Larson love?

Nerds love passive, approachable women.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Except for the Bear Down scenes, I really didn't like this episode. It felt like the sort of thing I was constantly expecting season four to regress into. I liked this season so far, too.

Irish Joe posted:

Nerds love passive, approachable women.

As opposed to 'normal people' who love aggressive, unapproachable women?

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I also don't get the "passive" thing, cos the whole draw to MPDG was that they're active and fun compared to the boring nerd. I think the draw of Larson's character is probably just that she's fun and relatively well-rounded compared to most sitcom love interests who are just plot devices with a weird gimmick. Plus the line about starting a coat-check without permission made me laugh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VagueRant posted:

Edit: oh and it's really weird that a guy played by Nathan Fillion exists in a universe where Chang's celebrity crush is Nathan Fillion. (And Abed and Troy loved Firefly.)

As long as they don't acknowledge it.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
"To the spoiler goes the victory" is a really good line.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Hbomberguy posted:

Except for the Bear Down scenes, I really didn't like this episode.

I have yet to watch an episode that "I really didn't like". There have been episodes that I feel were weaker than other more awesome ones, but how can someone come away from a community episode leaning toward the negative?

I don't get it.

Pretty much loving all of this season so far.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Hbomberguy posted:

Except for the Bear Down scenes, I really didn't like this episode. It felt like the sort of thing I was constantly expecting season four to regress into. I liked this season so far, too.

Same. Only time I laughed out loud really was Garret's reaction to the dogs being bears.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

I have yet to watch an episode that "I really didn't like". There have been episodes that I feel were weaker than other more awesome ones, but how can someone come away from a community episode leaning toward the negative?

I don't get it.

Pretty much loving all of this season so far.

I prefer to think that folks are just saying that they didn't like the episode relatively compared to other Community episodes-- like it wasn't as strong. Which I get.

I don't think anyone's saying "oh this is bad. bad television." At least I'd hope not.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This was by far my favorite episode so far, I was pretty much giggling the whole time at the stupid Abed sign language jokes, and the Bear Down / Fat Dog gags, especially when Chang and Shirley played the race card. The fat dog dance Chang definitely didn't make up was hilarious. And the whole dirty politics thread Annie followed with Hickey. And the John Oliver bit at the end. Was Joel McHale even in this episode?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

This was by far my favorite episode so far, I was pretty much giggling the whole time at the stupid Abed sign language jokes, and the Bear Down / Fat Dog gags, especially when Chang and Shirley played the race card. The fat dog dance Chang definitely didn't make up was hilarious. And the whole dirty politics thread Annie followed with Hickey. And the John Oliver bit at the end. Was Joel McHale even in this episode?

He was bearing down for the dance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure there was a hidden NFL reference here, being that Harmon is from Milwaukee. Chicago Bears fan slogan for the bears is "Bear Down", Green Bay and Chicago are like the most storied NFL rivals, and the bear attack in this episode took place in Wisconsin.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Last Chance posted:

He was bearing down for the dance.

Too soon man, too soon. Maybe in three weeks when we have another episode to talk about. :(

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a hidden NFL reference here, being that Harmon is from Milwaukee. Chicago Bears fan slogan for the bears is "Bear Down", Green Bay and Chicago are like the most storied NFL rivals, and the bear attack in this episode took place in Wisconsin.

Here's what Dan Harmon knows about football:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdAf8l__9x8

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This episode was really low key coming off of the last two, but I still enjoyed it.

It felt kind of season 1ish in that they have a bunch of new people and are feeling out the way they interact with each other and the original group. I know Duncan and Chang aren't really new, but they might as well in this case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Here's what Dan Harmon knows about football:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdAf8l__9x8

I'm not into sports either, but being from Wisconin, the whole bear down thing is beyond common knowledge

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bear down on Midterms.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yikes, I was able to watch last season, but this season the episodes are all horrible. I can't even finish an episode, they're so boring. Harmon can do wrong, apparently

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Aw, she's in Troy's chair.

Also, the bear down/fat dog stuff killed me, for some reason.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I don't really see that as a refrecene to Leon. Mainly because of the way it's said. When Chang yells out he's just yelling. When Annie did it, she followed the tone, the pacing, and even had a similar lead up.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Maybe in three weeks when we have another episode to talk about. :(

Wait, what?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Volume posted:

Wait, what?

The Olympics are going to be preempting the slot until February 27th.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Volume posted:

I don't really see that as a refrecene to Leon. Mainly because of the way it's said. When Chang yells out he's just yelling. When Annie did it, she followed the tone, the pacing, and even had a similar lead up.
When that happened I remember people in the thread mentioning the Leon thing, but yeah Annie's one is definitely more of a reference to it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

The Olympics are going to be preempting the slot until February 27th.

Lame. But I suppose it's better than this trend of "mid-season break" that's been going on. When ever I see one of those I just lose all interest in the show.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

Lame. But I suppose it's better than this trend of "mid-season break" that's been going on. When ever I see one of those I just lose all interest in the show.

That happened to literally every show and does every year around the holidays.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
The ratings held at 1.1 again this week, so it looks like Community has levelled off at what its audience will be.

Of note: Though Parks & Rec once again scored a higher rating, Community still has more overall viewers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure its just like 5 million people turning off their tvs after BBT is over that's giving P&R its ratings boost.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Technically it's getting its ratings boost (its ratings share is larger) because there are less people watching TV at 8:30. (Therefore even though its share is larger, the actual audience is smaller.)

The 1.1 (or in P&R's case, 1.2) rating means 1.1% of the overall 18-49 TV audience in totality is tuned in to the show, within a reasonable margin of error. (This includes TVs that are off)

The 3 Share (in P&R's case, a 4) means that 3% of the actual TVs owned by 18-49 year olds that are turned on at the time (and tuned to some TV show) are tuned into the show.

There's other numbers, including people over 49 who advertisers don't care about, but that's not as important.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 31, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm not into sports either, but being from Wisconin, the whole bear down thing is beyond common knowledge

I've lived within an hour or two of the WI/IL stateline most of my life and I'm not sure I've ever heard of "Bear Down".

And yeah, between "SPORTZCORNERRRRRR!" and Harmon's reaction anytime Football is brought up on Harmontown, I think it's safe to say there's zero correlation there.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
That sure was a lot of guest stars in one episode. But only Robert Patrick really got to do anything. Kind of a let down to have Kumail Nanjiani on the show if he's only going to be in it for five seconds. On the other hand, it's nice that Annie isn't useless the way she was for almost all of seasons 3-4.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Freeze frame for those with CRTs.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Beta is superior to VHS :colbert:

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Q: Why did Britta taunt Abed with the prospect of companionship/romance mere days (weeks?) after his life partner deserted him?

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Sakarja posted:

Q: Why did Britta taunt Abed with the prospect of companionship/romance mere days (weeks?) after his life partner deserted him?

I'm still not one hundred percent certain whether Britta was paying the deaf girl from the start or whether she decided to pay her off once she saw Abed and her have some kind of connection.

I'm not sure what's worse either, or whether they are equally bad. Britta is the worst...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Duro posted:

Yikes, I was able to watch last season, but this season the episodes are all horrible. I can't even finish an episode, they're so boring. Harmon can do wrong, apparently

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

People on this board were right. It should have ended after season three.

It's beginning to remind me a lot of Family Guy. A bunch of silly pop culture references, ending with a hollow emotional scene.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

What did the whiteboard say during the meeting? It was something would be closing early on Thursdays but I couldn't see what it was!

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

HppyCmpr posted:

I'm still not one hundred percent certain whether Britta was paying the deaf girl from the start or whether she decided to pay her off once she saw Abed and her have some kind of connection.

I'm not sure what's worse either, or whether they are equally bad. Britta is the worst...

Seriously, they would've been better of throwing Abed and Britta in with the rest of the "we have no idea what to do with the rest of the cast" dance plot. That way the guest stars could've had more than ten seconds of screentime apiece. I hope they manage to turn this season around after the hiatus, because it sure took a nosedive after the fourth episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Irish Joe posted:

Do they even make fruitopia anymore?

The iced tea brewed by hippies but distributed by a heartless multinational corporation.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

twistedmentat posted:

Do they even make fruitopia anymore?

:thejoke:

Great episode! As dumb as the Bear and dog stuff was I laughed way to much at it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fruitopia's still available here in Canada, so I was very confused about this response, at first. (I had no idea it was discontinued in the US.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Why are people hating on this episode I honestly don't understand. Nuke this thread.

• Locked thread