Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
In Japanese, again, glove is tebukuro - hand bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

You can see how Dutch is so closely related to German. We do the same for glove, handschoen, and in colloquial speech a light bulb is often called a 'little pear', peertje.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
That really annoying moogle thing in Final Fantasy XIII-2 was played by Ariel Winter. I thought it was some dude with a high-pitched voice.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I've always liked how the Japanese word for spring onion is "negi", and the term for what we call onion is "tama negi", literally "ball spring onion".

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Enter Char posted:

I always like their work for Lightbulb: Glühbirne, literally "Glowing Pear."

this is a bulb

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Pete Seeger and Bob Seger are completely different people.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Funzo posted:

Pete Seeger and Bob Seger are completely different people.

Duh, just count the 'e's.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

And it used to be totally hollow on the inside, because the Ivory folks were cheap.

I remember being pretty proud of my cartoon nerd self as a kid when I figured that out. Pretty much all the characters except the rival school kids (as far as I can tell, though being upper class rats I think is a jab at Disney) are based on classic Looney Tunes characters. Even that baby mouse that sneezes. Though I think Gogo might not be a "kid-version" and is the actual same Gogo the Dodo from Wackyland that messed around with Porky a few times back in the day.

I just learned that Gogo was in the original Looney Tunes. Do you happen to remember the name of the cartoon(s) he appeared in?

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Apr 2, 2014

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Both of mine are Simpsons-related:

*In the PBS show that they watch, one of the British characters says, "You don't have the cobbles!" = "You don't have the cobblestones!" = "You don't have the stones!"

*In McGarnagle, the title character tells the chief he "had a pretty good view from behind (his) desk" of a crackhouse getting busted up. I understood that he was implying that the chief was crooked, but he actually meant the chief has spent so much time behind a desk that he can't properly judge a decision made in the line of fire.

:goonsay:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Babs Bunny from Tiny Toons and Gadget from Rescue Rangers were voiced by the same woman, and I don't know how I didn't realize that until now because now that I think about it she used the same exact voice.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
She's also most of the female characters on Futurama.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

made of bees posted:

She's also most of the female characters on Futurama. in all cartoons of the last 20 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tress_MacNeille

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

my name is Agnes and you know it's Agnes! It means "lamb," "lamb of God."

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

"The Biggest Loser" is a pun, whoever lost the most weight is "the biggest loser", its not just "Laugh at these fat pathetic losers."

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

TaurusTorus posted:

"The Biggest Loser" is a pun, whoever lost the most weight is "the biggest loser", its not just "Laugh at these fat pathetic losers."

This is one of my new favourites.

I heard someone say "critter" on the radio today and realized suddenly that it's a corruption of "creature".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inspector Zenigata posted:

Actually Yoyo the Dodo is the one in Porky in Wackyland, not Gogo.

E: he wasn't given the first name "Yoyo" until a fairly recent video game, apparently. I thought I knew that that was his name growing up but I guess not?

E2: I swear I thought his name was in a gameboy color game that I played regularly as an adolescent. This is weird as hell, I've never played the xbox 360 game and I don't even like Looney Tunes enough to seek it out and watch it of my own volition, but I knew this fact off the top of my head like it was something I had known all my life.

This is bullshit, I swear. I recall back in the early 90's Cartoon Network's Toon Heads show claiming it was named Gogo. Looking at the wikipedia page for Porky in Wackyland, it claims that Paul Dini has said he's Gogo's father, so I suppose I have to begrudgingly accept it, but that's NOT what they were saying at the time.

Unrelated: I talk with my GF who's a first generation American to a German father about the cuteness of the language's etymology, and not too long ago, it dawned on me: Germans talk with such stern and angry tones to distract you from the fact that their language is adorable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:reject: SCHMETTERLING!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I mean yes, I know that's what butterflies are due to Facebook, but what is the literal translation?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean yes, I know that's what butterflies are due to Facebook, but what is the literal translation?

I think he was referring to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBUTqf7kRE

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Iron Crowned posted:

Wikipedia says it comes from "Schmetten", which is apparently German for "cream", due to the old belief that witches would turn themselves into butterflies to go steal the cream off your fresh milk. Which, if true, IS pretty adorable.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Primavera, usually seen in English in "pasta primavera", means "spring" in Italian. I knew that, but I thought it translated literally as "first green", which would make sense for spring. I was wrong. It actually is from the Latin "prima vera" which is the plural of "primus ver" which translates to "first spring".

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In my native language, Burmese, things relating to electricity use the word in them somehow. For example, literal translations are:
Battery = frozen (or solid) electricity
Torch = electric light
Gasoline = electric oil
etc.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Vidaeus posted:

In my native language, Burmese, things relating to electricity use the word in them somehow. For example, literal translations are:
Battery = frozen (or solid) electricity
Torch = electric light
Gasoline = electric oil
etc.

That's awesome as hell.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
"Frozen electricity" owns! Thanks for sharing. :)

For content, I just figured out the playstation logo is a P in front of an S.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vidaeus posted:

Gasoline = electric oil

Wait, what? Gasoline doesn't have anything to do with electricity.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

DontMockMySmock posted:

Wait, what? Gasoline doesn't have anything to do with electricity.

Sure it does, it's electric oil.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Good! Glad some people liked it! For a guide on pronunciation:
Electricity = "dah"
Battery = "dah keh"
Torch = "dah mee"
Gasoline = "dah see"

Edit: And yes, I realise gasoline doesn't directly relate to electricity. But I am guessing that by the time Burma got electricity on a wide scale, it was from power due to generators, hence the connection? Although that is just speculation on my part.

Burma's power supply is still extremely poor and unreliable to this day, so I think widespread access to power points wasn't very long ago, maybe 50 years? Even then it cuts out multiple times a day for hours at a time. Enough that every home that can afford it has a generator during the blackouts.

Vidaeus has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Jan 31, 2014

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
If we're still on cute languages, the word for spouses in Spanish, "esposas", is also the same word for handcuffs :smugdog:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Big Grunty Secret posted:

If we're still on cute languages, the word for spouses in Spanish, "esposas", is also the same word for handcuffs :smugdog:

I've known that's how to say 'spouses' in Spanish since I was a kid because mi familia has a lot of Spanish speakers in it but this post + google search for 'esposas' blew my mind.

etymyonline posted:

c.1200, "a married person, either one of a married pair, but especially a married woman in relation to her husband," also "Christ or God as the spiritual husband of the soul, the church, etc.," also "marriage, the wedded state," from Old French spous (fem. spouse) "marriage partner," variant of espous/espouse (Modern French épous/épouse), from Latin sponsus "bridegroom" (fem. sponsa "bride"), literally "betrothed," from masc. and fem. past participle of spondere "to bind oneself, promise solemnly," from PIE *spend- "to make an offering, perform a rite" (see spondee). Spouse-breach (early 13c.) was an old name for "adultery."

I want to play a game.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Finnish is pretty cute, too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

chia posted:

Finnish is pretty cute, too.

There is famous a Chinese poem that you'll like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion-Eating_Poet_in_the_Stone_Den

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Speech bubble: "Well that's expensive!"

Maito = Milk
Kyyttö = Rare Finnish cattle breed
Kyy = Viper

Kyytön maito = Kyyttö's milk
Kyytön maito = Viperless milk

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I once had a friend that taught ESL for new US citizens, and he talked about how understanding puns was one of the highest forms of language mastery. That said, I'm very much enjoying the non-english synonyms/puns chat and would readily read a whole thread on the subject.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

Speech bubble: "Well that's expensive!"

Maito = Milk
Kyyttö = Rare Finnish cattle breed
Kyy = Viper

Kyytön maito = Kyyttö's milk
Kyytön maito = Viperless milk

I'd like to get more Fingerpori in my life but the newspaper comics thread in BSS moves so fuckin' fast

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Captain Trips posted:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

You just figured out how to spell buffalo?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Marley Wants More posted:

You just figured out how to spell buffalo?
Let's all point at you and laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Wellllllllllll...gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I reject this sentence because while you can manipulate grammar rules to make it "correct", by Grammar rules (the fundamental ones in your head that dictate how you speak), no one can parse it without being told what it means. This is basically the primary definition of "grammatical" the way linguists use it (more or less). It's a cool feature of the way our language works, but it's not a grammatical sentence in terms of communicating anything. Most speakers, if they tried to say it out loud, wouldn't know how to intonate it.

• Locked thread