Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Got Haggis? posted:

so I have run across a bug in Exchange 2007 - took forever to figure out the cause, seems like it still exists in Exchange 2010 as well. Anyway, turns out if users have over 20k messages in their inboxes and connect to exchange using the IMAP protocol, it will shoot the CPU percentage up to 100%, killing the server. Have been able to fix it by having users delete messages.

While I know that it is possible to impose email limits like total size of mailbox, is there anyway to limit the number of items users are able to store in folders? I would like to set this at around 10k or so, but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

What does your throttling policy look like? Also get-imapsettings? When you say kills the server, which server? Are you running multirole single server or split role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I may have hit that bug in Exchange 2007 a few years ago, but my fix was to turn off IMAP. I suppose that's not an option? :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think there is. Office 365's answer to IMAP and 20K messages in a single folder is to disable IMAP for those users. I haven't touched Exchange in like 7 years though, so what do I know?

scanlonman posted:

Looking to switch from intermedia, to exchange online(365). On paper, it looks like it's going to save us about $5k a year, with about 50 users coming over. To anyone using exchange online, how do you like it?

It's the least lovely option as far as hosted Exchange goes. It's really not so bad to be honest.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!

The Electronaut posted:

What does your throttling policy look like? Also get-imapsettings? When you say kills the server, which server? Are you running multirole single server or split role?

multirole single server...we have about 40 users total. Can't turn off IMAP because the majority of clients run Thunderbird (and linux). After narrowing it down to folder size I was able to do some googling and found many people with the same issue. Users with a large number of items in their inbox cause the CPU of the server to climb to 100%. Clear out inboxes, problem solved. I was hoping there was an automatic way to make this happen or at least work the same way it does with messagebox size.

It seems ms says its good practice to have no more than 5k messages per folder in exchange 2007 - but somewhat depends on server specs. This server is fairly beefy - for us we really see problems once users have more than 20k messages in any folder.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi everyone, just your quarterly reminder that migrationwiz owns. Moving from Google Apps to Exchange Online.

Question: why does Exchange Online not have email address policy? It's not in EAC and when I run get-emailaddresspolicy in powershell I get unknown command. This is really dumb.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We just used MigrationWiz to move about 400 mailboxes from a company we acquired to Exchange Online and it went really smooth. Best 11 bucks per user ever.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Got Haggis? posted:

multirole single server...we have about 40 users total. Can't turn off IMAP because the majority of clients run Thunderbird (and linux). After narrowing it down to folder size I was able to do some googling and found many people with the same issue. Users with a large number of items in their inbox cause the CPU of the server to climb to 100%. Clear out inboxes, problem solved. I was hoping there was an automatic way to make this happen or at least work the same way it does with messagebox size.

It seems ms says its good practice to have no more than 5k messages per folder in exchange 2007 - but somewhat depends on server specs. This server is fairly beefy - for us we really see problems once users have more than 20k messages in any folder.

Oops, sorry I miss read the part about you being on 07. Throttling policies for IMAP didn't come till 2010.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Rather hamfisted, but what about a script that runs get-mailboxfolderstatistics on everyone every couple of hours, sends them an email warning them about their high message quantity > 5k items in inbox and turns off imap access (via set-casmailbox) at > 10k, and re-enables it < 10k (or whatever numbers make more sense)? This would at least protect the server from pegging the CPU and funnel people towards cleaning up problematic inboxes without too much manual intervention.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

We have an annoying problem with our iOS 7.0.4 iPads and iPhones and Exchange 2013 CU3.

Users can receive large attachments (~10MB), but cannot send them. When you try and send, the phone complains that the mailbox is full! This is happening for multiple accounts- none of which are remotely close to their quota. I have checked the activesync size limit on the server and it was still set at 40MB. Trying with my personal Windows Phone, the same email sent without a hitch.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have a weird issue with our Exchange 2003 server. We're in the process of a staged migration to Office 365 and we've successfully migrated about 50 users. However, I went to go migrate a new user today which was successful, however, now when some people (not all) email her that are still on the 2003 box, they get an NDR as follows:

quote:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 2/5/2014 11:14 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[redacted] on 2/5/2014 11:14 AM
  The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.The MTS-ID of the original message is:c=US;a= ;p=[redacted];l=[redacted]
  MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:First Administrative Group:ENTERPRISE

However, she still receives the email. So an NDR is generated to the senders but she still receives the email. This is only happening when sending to this person and only from a certain few senders.

What the gently caress is going on? I've been Googling for like the past 2 hours.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
^^ Have you tried having users clear their cache in Outlook?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Will Styles posted:

^^ Have you tried having users clear their cache in Outlook?

Yeah, the issue still occurs using OWA too.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I appear to have fixed my issue by deleting the user's exchange attributes, deleting the users on premise mailbox and then creating a new empty mailbox. I then started the Office 365 migration again to re-link the user via the targetAddress and whatever else it does. No data loss because the account is already migrated to Office 365, it's just the link is broken via the X400 address or some poo poo. There is like a million different reasons this NDR happens and it's not very fun to Google so hopefully this helps any one else in this position.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have to migrate from premise exchange 2010 to o365, never moved from that to that - any words of wisdom? Can I use the powershell things

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Speaking of moving to hosted exchange - what do you guys do for all your network devices that send out email notifications etc? I don't want to buy a mailbox for UPS's, a mailbox for switches, a mailbox for our wifi units....

Keep some internal mail server with a different name or something? notifications.xyz.com?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I have to migrate from premise exchange 2010 to o365, never moved from that to that - any words of wisdom? Can I use the powershell things

2010 to o365 is much easier. We're still on 2003 so we got stuck doing staged migration and it's been a hassle, mainly cause it randomly doesn't work. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward. If you have any say in it though, I'd recommend just upgrading 2010 to 2013 server instead of going with o365.

As for powershell, you are very limited in the commands you can do but yes there are some powershell commands available to you.

Our problem is that we have a lot of users with a lot of large PST files. The only way to import these in o365 is directly through Outlook and it's loving terrible. With a 2013 server I believe there is a powershell command to directly import a PST.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Speaking of moving to hosted exchange - what do you guys do for all your network devices that send out email notifications etc? I don't want to buy a mailbox for UPS's, a mailbox for switches, a mailbox for our wifi units....

Keep some internal mail server with a different name or something? notifications.xyz.com?

I think (haven't tried it), you can just do this through o365 mail enabled contacts which don't require a license (just mailboxes require a license). However, what we do is just setup our SPF records to allow both our o365 account and our public ip allowed to send as. Then we setup a simple smtp relay on the internal network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Google Apps has an SMTP server that you can use for stuff like this, you just have to whitelist the IP address that it's originating from. It works very well - it will also catch mail that has the from address set to user@company.com and sent from a third party application and add it to the sent items folder of user@ - this is optional.

Exchange Online seems to think it does the same thing, but it really just involves setting SMTP relay on an on-premise server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So, mailboxes are finally all moved, OAB is rehomes, Public folders are replicated. Today I'm rehoming mailflow to the new server and changing DNS to point to th enew external IP for Activesync/webmail.

Is there anything else I need to do to fully transfer everything over to the new 2010 server from my old 2010 server?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

So, mailboxes are finally all moved, OAB is rehomes, Public folders are replicated. Today I'm rehoming mailflow to the new server and changing DNS to point to th enew external IP for Activesync/webmail.

Is there anything else I need to do to fully transfer everything over to the new 2010 server from my old 2010 server?

New public folder set as the default on your mail DB(s)? Special mailboxes migrated? Not sure of your architecture so those are two that jump off my head at first glance. I assume you have a CAS array and your Outlook users are using a VIP for connectivity instead of a single CAS.

When time to remove the old server, I'd do a pull the plug/power down cool off, followed by gracefully uninstalling it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

New public folder set as the default on your mail DB(s)? Special mailboxes migrated? Not sure of your architecture so those are two that jump off my head at first glance. I assume you have a CAS array and your Outlook users are using a VIP for connectivity instead of a single CAS.

When time to remove the old server, I'd do a pull the plug/power down cool off, followed by gracefully uninstalling it.

All clients are cut over to the new server. Public folders are happily replicated. Special mailboxes are moved. SMTP send and recieve are rehomed. Firewall is set. Public and private DNS are changed to the new proper internal and external IPs.

I can't really think of anything else. I'll shut it down on Monday and see how it goes.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

All clients are cut over to the new server. Public folders are happily replicated. Special mailboxes are moved. SMTP send and recieve are rehomed. Firewall is set. Public and private DNS are changed to the new proper internal and external IPs.

I can't really think of anything else. I'll shut it down on Monday and see how it goes.

Nice. Any internal mailing server systems that may have connected via IP or machine name for SMTP/POP3/IMAP? Got your backups configured? Monitoring? Scripts?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

Nice. Any internal mailing server systems that may have connected via IP or machine name for SMTP/POP3/IMAP? Got your backups configured? Monitoring? Scripts?

Waiting on a vendor to flip something over for mail. I have a "local relay" recieve connector that I allow basic authentication based on IP

Backups are running nightly.

Monitoring is off right now as I'm in the process of redoing it.

I do t run any scripts so no worries there.

Feeling pretty good. Ill power it down I. Monday to see if we have any issues.

Good god I'm almost do e with this nightmare.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Protip: Turn off services one by one and see if it affects anything. Then power down.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Protip: Turn off services one by one and see if it affects anything. Then power down.

Thanks, will do.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kiwid posted:

2010 to o365 is much easier. We're still on 2003 so we got stuck doing staged migration and it's been a hassle, mainly cause it randomly doesn't work. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward. If you have any say in it though, I'd recommend just upgrading 2010 to 2013 server instead of going with o365.

As for powershell, you are very limited in the commands you can do but yes there are some powershell commands available to you.

Our problem is that we have a lot of users with a lot of large PST files. The only way to import these in o365 is directly through Outlook and it's loving terrible. With a 2013 server I believe there is a powershell command to directly import a PST.

ok so actually i'm going from '07 to o365 not 2010. looks like I will have to do "staged migration" too right... so what do you mean "randomly doesn't work" do you mean I just need to babysit the mailboxes as they get transferred?

also did you do SSO

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

ok so actually i'm going from '07 to o365 not 2010. looks like I will have to do "staged migration" too right... so what do you mean "randomly doesn't work" do you mean I just need to babysit the mailboxes as they get transferred?

also did you do SSO

Yeah you basically have to baby sit them. Sometimes the migration will fail for no reason at all and then corrupt something and users that email that person will get NDRs, even though the email still goes through. I've been able to fix this every time by just re-starting the migration over and over until it finally completes successfully (I've had to do this 4 times on one mailbox once). Then I remove their local exchange attributes (removes the targetAddress link to the new migrated mailbox so they won't get new mail), delete the on-premise mailbox then create a new empty on-premise mailbox and start the migration again. The migration will relink the account to o365 via the targetAddress attribute and everything works out, but it's loving stupid.

We didn't do SSO, we just did directory sync with password sync. I wanted to do SSO but my boss wouldn't ok a server for it.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 8, 2014

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yuck thanks

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Haha, importing a 13gb PST file directly to the online archive of a user. Day 2: still going.

We have a 60mbit upstream too.

The best part is that it completely locks up Outlook so the user is stuck using OWA until it's done.

Microsoft does not provide a way to import this via PowerShell and their PST capture tool requires Outlook 2010 (which we are not licensed for).

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

kiwid posted:

Haha, importing a 13gb PST file directly to the online archive of a user. Day 2: still going.

We have a 60mbit upstream too.

The best part is that it completely locks up Outlook so the user is stuck using OWA until it's done.

Microsoft does not provide a way to import this via PowerShell and their PST capture tool requires Outlook 2010 (which we are not licensed for).

I'm pretty certain you can do this via PowerShell, at least with an on-premesis setup. I imported a ton of PST's via PowerShell when we upgraded to Exchange 2010 from 2003 and setup online archiving.

Just not certain they directly went to the Online Archive. I think they did. At worst, I imported them into the users inbox and them ran the mailbox maintenance manually to force messages older than our retention period into that online archive.

PM me if you'd like a copy of the scripts I used.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

TKovacs2 posted:

I'm pretty certain you can do this via PowerShell, at least with an on-premesis setup. I imported a ton of PST's via PowerShell when we upgraded to Exchange 2010 from 2003 and setup online archiving.

Just not certain they directly went to the Online Archive. I think they did. At worst, I imported them into the users inbox and them ran the mailbox maintenance manually to force messages older than our retention period into that online archive.

PM me if you'd like a copy of the scripts I used.

Nah it's definitely doable with on-premise servers using new-mailboximportrequest cmdlet but that isn't available to office 365 users. You can even go directly to an online archive with the -isarchive switch.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

kiwid posted:

Nah it's definitely doable with on-premise servers using new-mailboximportrequest cmdlet but that isn't available to office 365 users. You can even go directly to an online archive with the -isarchive switch.

Lack of full PowerShell access is what kept me from moving to the cloud to be honest. I do a lot of data retrieval and uploading via PowerShell I otherwise couldn't.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Day 3: Archive import failed with unhelpful error message.

I'm now drag and dropping folders.

Such an innovative revolutionary system.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
So I've been tasked with figuring out if moving a 5-15k mailbox environment to Office365 makes sense. Smallish mailboxes, strict retention policy that ages items out after a year, some users on litigation hold.

Has anyone moved a company that size to it? What did you hate about it?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I have a customer, running Exchange 2010, who insists they need to be able to access shared calendars on mobile devices. I tell them, "It's not designed to do that, but there are apps that have been developed that allow you do to this", and proceed to give them a list of apps they can download and try out.

In the meantime, the customer speaks with another person from my company who tells them, "Yeah, no problem. We can just set up a mailbox for each calendar you want to share, and add all of those to users' phones." I get added to the e-mail chain, and explain why this is a bad idea, is going to be a clusterfuck for them to understand or manage, and that it all assumes that all of your users' phones support adding multiple Exchange accounts...which I'm certain they don't.

Fast forward a month or so, and the customer says, "Well... I tried all of those apps that let me do the exact thing that I'm complaining about not being able to do, and I didn't really like them. I'm getting a lot of heat over this, so can we do it the other way, with individual accounts being set up for calendars?"

First off, I agree that it's kind of silly that ActiveSync 14.1 doesn't yet support downloading multiple calendars with one account.

However, them's the rules. If you choose to disobey the rules, a level of service cannot be guaranteed, as is evidenced by this lovely KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563324

Has anyone been tasked with, and successfully achieved getting shared calendars to show up on mobile devices? If so, I'd love to hear your story, as I'm out of ideas beyond, "Really? You can't just use Touchdown and call it a day?"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

PainBreak posted:

In the meantime, the customer speaks with another person from my company who tells them, "Yeah, no problem. We can just set up a mailbox for each calendar you want to share, and add all of those to users' phones." I get added to the e-mail chain, and explain why this is a bad idea, is going to be a clusterfuck for them to understand or manage, and that it all assumes that all of your users' phones support adding multiple Exchange accounts...which I'm certain they don't.

Fast forward a month or so, and the customer says, "Well... I tried all of those apps that let me do the exact thing that I'm complaining about not being able to do, and I didn't really like them. I'm getting a lot of heat over this, so can we do it the other way, with individual accounts being set up for calendars?"

First off, I agree that it's kind of silly that ActiveSync 14.1 doesn't yet support downloading multiple calendars with one account.

However, them's the rules. If you choose to disobey the rules, a level of service cannot be guaranteed, as is evidenced by this lovely KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563324

Has anyone been tasked with, and successfully achieved getting shared calendars to show up on mobile devices? If so, I'd love to hear your story, as I'm out of ideas beyond, "Really? You can't just use Touchdown and call it a day?"

Yeah we do this with native ActiveSync using ICAL or whatever publishing. Enable that on your Exchange server, then publish the ICAL for the shared mailbox, and have the user import it into the iOS device. Android, I'm not sure of.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We solved that by upgrading to Exchange 2013 and having people use the perfectly fine on mobile devices web app for shared calendars. Granted it's not the same as it being right there in your native calendaring app but this was mainly so people could check availability of people to schedule meetings for, so it was a decent enough solution.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Gyshall posted:

Yeah we do this with native ActiveSync using ICAL or whatever publishing. Enable that on your Exchange server, then publish the ICAL for the shared mailbox, and have the user import it into the iOS device. Android, I'm not sure of.

Yeah, that's what I ended up setting up this afternoon. Works perfectly on the iPhone, but Android's a different story. What I did for Android was set up a Google account, subscribed to the web-published calendars from within Google Calendar, then added that Google account to their phone, synchronizing calendars only, and selecting just the calendars they needed to see.

That's not the greatest thing, as far as security is concerned, and I always hate involving any 3rd party tools, but...ya gets what ya gets. The customer seems happy enough with this, and understands the security implications for terminated users if they decide not to modify the URL of the web-published calendars, set them back up in the Google account, then again on each iPhone and Android device.

As for using the web-based calendar, that wasn't an option because they want reminders. Publishing the calendars to the web in 2010 gives you a nice browser-based view as well, but the only reminder they'd get is a swift kick in the rear end if they didn't remember to check their calendar in the morning.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Day 6: PST archive still transferring, it's now on the sent items so we're getting close. :shepicide:

Meanwhile, these are all the different errors we've been getting doing the "official Microsoft recommended way" of importing PST files to an online archive on some of our other users (scanpst doesn't change anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That "Was this helpful" messages on the dialog boxes looks like some real amateur hour poo poo.