Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I get that network security is important, but I can't for the life of me figure out why "Unidentified Network" isn't just a checkbox you can clear. I'm trying to get connected to an AudioCodes Mediant 1000 we picked up off ebay, and my machine gets arp -a responses from my VM test bed that's on the same isolated switch, even though they're HyperV multicast addresses and I'm working in 10.1.0.0/16.

Isn't there any way to goose Windows into accepting that I'm aware of the network and its odd features like a lack of DHCP or even a gateway? The only troubleshooting step it offers me is to enable DHCP, and of course there's not a DHCP server for it to contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oddhair posted:

I get that network security is important, but I can't for the life of me figure out why "Unidentified Network" isn't just a checkbox you can clear. I'm trying to get connected to an AudioCodes Mediant 1000 we picked up off ebay, and my machine gets arp -a responses from my VM test bed that's on the same isolated switch, even though they're HyperV multicast addresses and I'm working in 10.1.0.0/16.

Isn't there any way to goose Windows into accepting that I'm aware of the network and its odd features like a lack of DHCP or even a gateway? The only troubleshooting step it offers me is to enable DHCP, and of course there's not a DHCP server for it to contact.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71408-unidentified-networks-set-private-public.html

Scroll down to option one.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Thanks for this, I went into sarcastic mode and just added a 1721 to the little managed switch that this is all isolated to and my laptop still can't see the (media) gateway but can see its default gateway, at least.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Things currently pissing me off daily: "Since my computer was upgraded to windows 7, <thing that has nothing whatsoever to do with the upgrade>".

Also: People blindly forwarding them to me without, you know, troubleshooting. As if they were some kind of IT support professional or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That reminds me, a couple months after we upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, I had someone complaining that their smartboard stopped functioning occasionally. I check it out, and it's because it's a shared computer, and the smart drivers often gently caress up if someone Changes User, rather than logging off. This wasn't a big deal with XP, because it booted the user off completely whenever, but 7 happily has the previous user logged in, in the background.

I told them that was the problem, and they'd have to take care to actually log off instead of letting the screen lock, but they continuously argued with me that they've been running Windows 7 for at least 5 years and never had to deal that issue. The computer was broken and they needed a new one.

Considering this was even before SP1 was released, I wasn't convinced.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is why I run a GPO on PCs that are part of rooms so the only options are log off or restart. No switching user or shutting down for you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

potato of destiny posted:

Things currently pissing me off daily: "Since my computer was upgraded to windows 7, <thing that has nothing whatsoever to do with the upgrade>".

Also: People blindly forwarding them to me without, you know, troubleshooting. As if they were some kind of IT support professional or something.

This happens with cars as well.

Since you replaced my alternator my oil pan has started leaking oil!

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There's a partial one. Each record has a header node which is fixed barring any new entries anyone requests, but there's then a child node that contains auto generated xml that we don't provide a full schema for because there can be anything from 10 to 1000 child nodes and sub nodes below it depending on the record type. Generally we get the recipient to tell us exactly what parts of the data set they need to use and we tell them the node names and range of values with the caveat that new options may be added in future. The reason for this is so that we don't need to use a bespoke feed for every recipient's requirements or produce some hideous .csv file with 900 columns.

Unfortunately some groups have managed to take this as "the content will never change so implement in as precise a way as possible so that any changes blow up everything", extensible markup language you say? Never heard of it.

Edit: At least one of them doesn't actually know how they're loading the data in the first place because all their original devs quit and apparently didn't document anything. :v:

So there's no schema then. I appreciate your pain, but somewhere on some other forum someone is posting about you :shobon:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Caged posted:

This is why I run a GPO on PCs that are part of rooms so the only options are log off or restart. No switching user or shutting down for you.

We were planning on doing this, but then the problem arises when people lock their computer (mandatory due to the information people have access to) and then go somewhere else. We'd have riots if we forced log offs when the computer would lock. So we needed to either allow Switch User so others could actually use the computer, or have them force a hard reboot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah yeah, I was a lot more militant, I forgot I disabled locking the PC as well. If you want to go somewhere else then log off. It would be a lot less painful with a VDI type approach but this method solved the "x has left the PC logged in and I can't use it" or "my PST file corrupted itself again. No I'm not logged in anywhere else".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ahahah, the guy we hired months ago to primarily create our new images and deploy laptops has no idea how to create a new image. :suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Blame the people who hired him without checking anything I guess.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Wow....

Trying to price out some new business desktop machines. I really like Lenovo's "tiny" (m72 Tiny/m73 Tiny) series ultra SFF machines so I went directly to Lenovo SMB sales to see what kind of deals they could do. Never had dealt with them directly up until now. The prices they came back with are on average $60 higher than most retail websites, for the exact same models, with no other perks such as longer warranty, etc..

I wish Dell had something more like it...

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Caged posted:

Blame the people who hired him without checking anything I guess.

Pretty much. I am mostly trying to enjoy the chaos as much as possible. "Not my problem" has become a mantra.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 31, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

stevewm posted:

Wow....

Trying to price out some new business desktop machines. I really like Lenovo's "tiny" (m72 Tiny/m73 Tiny) series ultra SFF machines so I went directly to Lenovo SMB sales to see what kind of deals they could do. Never had dealt with them directly up until now. The prices they came back with are on average $60 higher than most retail websites, for the exact same models, with no other perks such as longer warranty, etc..

I wish Dell had something more like it...

The Dell Optiplex 9020 has an USFF option :confused:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

The Dell Optiplex 9020 has an USFF option :confused:

I'll be damned... didn't catch that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still don't think it's anywhere near ThinkCentre Tiny levels of small though. HP used to do some stuff but gently caress HP, they should be punished with a lack of sales for having a website as terrible as theirs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"So now that we've come up with a game plan, QPZIL is going to program this for us"
Nope, sorry

"Alright we've updated some order numbers, we'll need QPZIL to update the software"
NO i didn't even develop it what

"QPZIL is going to develop a database for us to track X, Y, and Z"
WHAT, NO I'M NOT

We have a whole site full of employees who are dedicated programmers. I'm a network admin. How does this even happen? I guess "oh you do computers, great, then do this..." kind of explains it.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 31, 2014

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I'm really surprised at how many people just assume that if you're in IT you can program anything

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"You're in IT, that means you can talk to Google and get my hacked account back"

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

New software for controlling the LED sign out front of the store... coded in Windows Media Player???

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

"You're in IT, that means you can talk to Google and get my hacked account back"

One of the owners of a company I worked at had gotten into some trouble in the past, so some group that had interests that differed from his company put up a website with all kinds of dirty laundry about him and other people in the industry. Drunk driving convictions and divorce settlements and all that kind of poo poo.

So of course, you'd enter his full name on Google and bam, that site comes up the very first hit. He wanted me to 'call Google and get this taken off the internet'. Granted, this was like 2003 but still.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

New software for controlling the LED sign out front of the store... coded in Windows Media Player???

Oh goodness.. Windows 2000 explorer style sidebar with XP buttons and an old Windows Media Player look.. awful layout with text going off the bottom.. What the?

Well, I guess they designed it over a decade ago and never bothered to re-do it.

But it would have looked pretty tacky even then.

Motherboard utilities are especially bad for this - they always come with some extremely gaudy design, and a non rectangular window, just to show off that they knew how to do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Print screen, clone tool out the media player UI, throw into VB and code some random poo poo over the top of it.

What is it with people thinking "hey a skin is appropriate for this"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Put in my 2 weeks today. :feelsgood:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Caged posted:

Print screen, clone tool out the media player UI, throw into VB and code some random poo poo over the top of it.

What is it with people thinking "hey a skin is appropriate for this"

This can be said for just about any software produced by various small Chinese manufacturers.. The low end security camera DVR market is full of examples.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

KillHour posted:

Put in my 2 weeks today. :feelsgood:

Congratulatuions. Enjoy the next two weeks of fuckoffery.

Remember to not even bother trying to wrap up all of the poo poo you might be thinking about trying to wrap up in the next two weeks. You will run around irritating people and stressing yourself out over poo poo that won't get done. Maybe get involved with the hiring of your replacement. If asked.

From now until two weeks from now you are a resource to be referenced and documented (hah hah!) and if your soon-to-be-ex-employers don't want an exit interview, that's their problem. This isn't burning bridges, mind you. This is just a typical transition process.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

jim truds posted:

Ahahah, the guy we hired months ago to primarily create our new images and deploy laptops has no idea how to create a new image. :suicide:
"Oh, oh dear! I thought you wanted to me take pictures of destroyed laptops! Seemed a little weird but I don't really know anything about computers so I just rolled with it."

Caged posted:

HP used to do some stuff but gently caress HP, they should be punished with a lack of sales for having a website as terrible as theirs.
What's really baffling to me about HP's website is that there are multiple different HP websites depending on which URL you start with. I guess when they do a redesign they don't take the old one offline they just give it a different URL so depending on what google search you follow you end up with a completely different HP website. It's been a year and a half or so but last time I had to deal with HP poo poo I was still able to somehow get to the functioning one and everything was good.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Dear Java updater: if you have an option to change how often you notify me of updates (once a month), please adhere to it. This poo poo where you wait until ~5 minutes after I've started Windows and am already doing something and then steal focus, every single day, is a never-ending source of irritation.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Galler posted:

What's really baffling to me about HP's website is that there are multiple different HP websites depending on which URL you start with. I guess when they do a redesign they don't take the old one offline they just give it a different URL so depending on what google search you follow you end up with a completely different HP website. It's been a year and a half or so but last time I had to deal with HP poo poo I was still able to somehow get to the functioning one and everything was good.

If you think their public sites are bad, you don't even want to know what the internal corporate sites look like. It is horrific and I do everything I can to not deal with anything on the corporate network.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Pissing me off: co-worker's complete inability to read instructions and follow them, instead asking me every couple minutes "now what?"

For whatever reason we use a royally hosed-up setup of McAfee that works fine on some servers, but on others decides it doesn't feel like updating DAT files, so each day we run VBS scripts that poll each server across five different domains and generates a CSV file that then gets run through Access to generate a spreadsheet that we can then use to determine which machines are not updating their DAT file that day.

It's cumbersome, it sucks, it's monotonous, and it is more grunt work than actual troubleshooting. PMs want it done, so we do it. So for the last week I've been tweaking a step-by-step guide I made on how to get the data and create the spreadsheet. I think it's pretty simple to follow, and frankly I didn't have very much in the way of help figuring the steps out other than "go out there and use these servers and click on things." Worked for me, but my co-worker seems unable to pick up on simple processes and gets easily frustrated. He also tends to open his mouth without engaging his brain - just the other day we stepped into the stairwell to go to the server farm and only the emergency lights were on.

"Who was the idiot who thought this was a good idea?" he asked, and right on cue our commanding officer's voice came up from the bottom of the stairs.
"I like to have them tested from time to time. I trust that isn't a problem?"

I was so hoping my co-worker would be cleaning his desk out afterwards, but alas I wasn't that fortunate.

I'm not sure how he managed to land the job, because the guy is absolutely not interested in learning anything new. If I were to give him a grade on his overall performance it would be a D minus. My previous co-workers must have spoiled me, because I never felt like I had to carry them even when they were just learning the systems. Also, they didn't smell like boiled cabbage and belch every 5 minutes.

**EDIT** Sorry about the rambling, I just needed to vent.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Pissing me off: co-worker's complete inability to read instructions and follow them, instead asking me every couple minutes "now what?"

For whatever reason we use a royally hosed-up setup of McAfee that works fine on some servers, but on others decides it doesn't feel like updating DAT files, so each day we run VBS scripts that poll each server across five different domains and generates a CSV file that then gets run through Access to generate a spreadsheet that we can then use to determine which machines are not updating their DAT file that day.

you are not using the mcafee management tools?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Daylen Drazzi posted:

He also tends to open his mouth without engaging his brain - just the other day we stepped into the stairwell to go to the server farm and only the emergency lights were on.

"Who was the idiot who thought this was a good idea?" he asked, and right on cue our commanding officer's voice came up from the bottom of the stairs.

Not going to lie, spontaneously deciding to plunge a stairwell into semi-darkness without telling anyone beforehand sounds like a really stupid thing to do.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

KennyTheFish posted:

you are not using the mcafee management tools?

Those are the mcafee management tools.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

more like dICK posted:

So there's no schema then. I appreciate your pain, but somewhere on some other forum someone is posting about you :shobon:

Yeah probably. Actually I think one of the smarter teams got annoyed by the lack of a defined schema so I produced one that had <xsl:any> in the auto generated node :v:

We weren't actually trying to make it difficult, it just seems that we were the only ones that recognised the extensible part of xml instead of treating it like a flat file with a weird format.

Edit: There's no excuse for parsing xml as a text string though.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

just the other day we stepped into the stairwell to go to the server farm and only the emergency lights were on.

To be fair, that's the sort of test people should know about in advance, or at least cone off the doors.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
In all honesty there was plenty of light, since the stairwell is somewhat dark even when the regular lights are on. There was a notification sent out and personnel were informed, plus there was a sign on the door to the stairwell stating that an emergency lighting test was being conducted. There was plenty of warning, but like I said my co-worker doesn't seem to be able to engage his brain before he opens his mouth.

I was actually taking him down to the server farm to give a heads-up about that very fact, since he'd recently blown a gasket and was shooting his mouth off in a very unprofessional manner after one of the crew commanders on the Ops Floor had electronically bitch-slapped him for a notification email he'd written that failed to follow the proper format. Our team lead is something of a hot-head (as I may have mentioned) and he overlooks a lot of things, but the crew commander is a good friend of his and I doubt he took kindly to a subordinate insulting his friend and shooting off his mouth within hearing distance of our commanding officer.

Personally I don't care if my co-worker gets tossed out on his rear end, but I refuse to be splattered by whatever pool of poo poo he falls into.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My wife works for a company that does applications for the ACA.

Today I learned that if they don't put in all the information in caps the process will fail, because they aren't converting their strings to caps. :suicide:

Also to search for any application they have to append wild cards to either side of the search query, or it won't find it.

Who loving programmed this pile of poo poo? WHO?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

Who loving programmed this pile of poo poo? WHO?
The lowest bidder, through several layers of sub-contracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

The lowest bidder, through several layers of sub-contracting.

It's so bad that I feel that it may be malicious.