Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quandary posted:

Why are people hating on this episode I honestly don't understand. Nuke this thread.

I liked it a lot. Then again it was following the lava episode so they could have aired a giant pile of puke for 30 minutes and it would have still been a good episode by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HppyCmpr posted:

I'm still not one hundred percent certain whether Britta was paying the deaf girl from the start or whether she decided to pay her off once she saw Abed and her have some kind of connection.

I'm not sure what's worse either, or whether they are equally bad. Britta is the worst...

I'm pretty sure she said in the beginning that Abed was making another connection with a girl that they'd never see again.

(or maybe that was Annie, but someone definitely said it)

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Quandary posted:

Why are people hating on this episode I honestly don't understand. Nuke this thread.

Agreed, nuke it from orbit like a sir.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Everyone
Everywhere
Everything

next episode will have everybody, then everyday, and then some more to complete a Harmon's story cycle or whatever.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Tegan and Sankara posted:

I also don't get the "passive" thing, cos the whole draw to MPDG was that they're active and fun compared to the boring nerd. I think the draw of Larson's character is probably just that she's fun and relatively well-rounded compared to most sitcom love interests who are just plot devices with a weird gimmick. Plus the line about starting a coat-check without permission made me laugh.
But she is just a love interest with a gimmick though? Sees Abed dating two women and thinks it's funny and so hangs out with him, then doesn't see him for what, a year? And goes straight into hanging out with him, quitting her pseudo job and watching cartoons.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

computer parts posted:

I'm pretty sure she said in the beginning that Abed was making another connection with a girl that they'd never see again.

(or maybe that was Annie, but someone definitely said it)

I think you're right, Britta said it. I'm just wondering whether Britta orchestrated their meeting somehow, though that may be putting on a tinfoil hat and giving her a little bit to much credit, or whether she just jumped on it once she saw the connection. I remember Britta saying to Abed "I think she likes you too, but she likes cold hard cash more" or something along those lines; it just made me think for a second she'd set it all up from the start.

I guess based on how the episode went it'd favour that Abed and Deaf Girl had a genuine connection and then Britta decided to wade in and bribe her to drop spoilers, I'm assuming this because from memory it shows Britta trying to spoil Abed in different ways before the deaf girls drops the spoiler-bombs. It seems like the scene where she's watching Abed at his locker kicks Britta into overdrive.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So did anyone catch the BREAKING NEWS that Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion were capture by pirates in the Gulf of Mexico?

e: Oh wait, yes ya'll did. Go back to being terrible I guess. v:v:v

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

So did anyone catch the BREAKING NEWS that Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion were capture by pirates in the Gulf of Mexico?

e: Oh wait, yes ya'll did. Go back to being terrible I guess. v:v:v

I didn't! I still got the episode on my DVR, do you want to give me an idea as to where in the episode this happens?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Volume posted:

I didn't! I still got the episode on my DVR, do you want to give me an idea as to where in the episode this happens?

It's at the start of the montage, just like 3 minutes before the end.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Volume posted:

I laughed and then was sad.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

nutranurse posted:

I laughed and then was sad.

Don't be. They'll probably be released in a few weeks when the pirates can no longer tolerate Troy asking where the peg legs and parrots are.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Woden posted:

But she is just a love interest with a gimmick though? Sees Abed dating two women and thinks it's funny and so hangs out with him, then doesn't see him for what, a year? And goes straight into hanging out with him, quitting her pseudo job and watching cartoons.

I'm really hoping that they're setting her up to be a regular character, or at least have a full arc. It was a sort of acknowledgement of something that happened in the gas leak year and a nod at the throwaway character thing. Basically a way to say, hey, sorry about these characters that we've developed and then dropped after an episode, here's one you can have back.

Giving Abed a long-term love interest is something new with the character. Abed's been much more rational this year. Or maybe rational is the wrong term since he's always been rational.

Also you guys are silly. Community is just as good as it's always been when under Harmon, and he can do set-piece episodes and normal ones. He did 3-4 set-piece episodes per season during seasons 2 and 3, and I can bet that he'll continue to do 3-4 set-piece episodes per season as long as they keep him making the show. That we only have 13 total episodes just means it'll be a higher percentage of the season.

But, I can guarantee you guys that none of the episodes are "poo poo" and if you feel so, well, it reminds me of this southpark episode: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e07-youre-getting-old

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That episode always confused me. It resolves with Stan just accepting that everything is terrible and drinking from a hidden flask in his bedroom. Is Stan an off-screen alcoholic now?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Don't be. They'll probably be released in a few weeks when the pirates can no longer tolerate Troy asking where the peg legs and parrots are.

Troy lives on in our hearts :unsmith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

That episode always confused me. It resolves with Stan just accepting that everything is terrible and drinking from a hidden flask in his bedroom. Is Stan an off-screen alcoholic now?

Were you also confused when Kyle took on everybody's debt at the end of Margaritaville and it was never mentioned again?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

The lesson was that as you grow up you learn to cope with things, for instance dumb people having dumb opinions, via alcohol.

One of life's greatest lessons.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Quandary posted:

Some people can manage to come away from a feel-good show with depressed feelings. They should probably seek therapy.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I thought this episode was great. The flaws didn't bother me because most of the jokes landed pretty well with me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I liked everything about this episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yvvNvlXtg
I really hope that becomes a recurring thing, but then I also liked season four.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Quandary posted:

I could see a lot of people not getting or appreciating the fat dog/bear down stuff, but I don't want to meet those people.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Scissorfighter posted:

I could see a lot of people not getting or appreciating the fat dog/bear down stuff, but I don't want to meet those people.

They just don't know how to fat dog though life.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
The hell is wrong with some of you, this episode was amazing. Do you just hate being entertained?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Volume posted:

They just don't know how to fat dog though life.

Man I've been fat dogging for years are you guys just now hearing about it?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
If you don't know what fat dogging is you're streets behind.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Scissorfighter posted:

They're probably the same people that don't appreciate the "schmitty" stuff.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

For my part, I thought it was a very solid, joke-filled episode, which probably won't stand out as one of my season favorites, but judging from my second viewing, will hold up really well in terms of laughs. Fat dogging kept cracking me up, and I think there was some good meta-humor regarding having to quickly change a show because current events throw a pall of bad taste over the material. The bureaucracy plot had good character development for Prof. Hickey, and the guest spots (I especially loved Paget Brewster, who still looks nearly as good as she did 10 years ago in Andy Richter Controls the Universe, but I digress) all contributed to the building of the Greendale world. Of course they would have an iron-fisted, corrupt parking department and a one-person IT "department" that apparently doubles as both mail room and server room! You know an episode is good when you pick up several more jokes on the second viewing because you were laughing through them the first time, and both in terms of script and visual humor, this was one of those for me.

In other news, is there any way to save this thread from its growing shittiness? Obviously, the Era of Good Feelings we had for the first 3-4 episodes is over. Of course, there's nothing wrong with saying you don't like an episode, but I think we can all accept it as a given that a third of us won't like any particular concept episode for being too off-the-rails, and another third of us won't like any particular "traditional" episode for being too conventional, so I'm not sure we're adding much thread value by posting a two-sentence "haaaaaaaaaaaaaated it!" Or "this show is just like x now," because no, it's probably not.

Aside from that general criticism, the Britta hate from this episode has been predictable and goony. Guys, remember two weeks ago, when Abed revealed he'd been emotionally manipulating Annie with a fake e-relationship, just so she'd cook breakfast? Britta takes things too far, because that's what you do in a sitcom, but her point, which is that if you don't care about spoiling other people, you shouldn't be upset about getting spoiled, is valid. Obviously Britta did not set the whole deaf girl thing up from the beginning, because it was Abed who initially approached her to have her fill out the school census. Besides, the bribe didn't spoil his chances with the deaf girl, who had another reason to interact with him, and as it turns out he wasn't that into her anyway. Oh, and Britta genuinely felt terrible it when she saw the effect of her successful spoiling (I thought cloned Abed was missing original Abed's wild emotionality!), but I guess the damage to our collective sperg-hearts was already done.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
After the Game of Thrones parody spoiler plot in this episode, it has confirmed my fears that I share all of Britta's worst personality traits.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

JesusFists posted:

("show is good")...
Aside from that general criticism, the Britta hate from this episode has been predictable and goony.
...("please stop hating show, guys").

You sly dog. What do you think this is, Breaking Bad? Community's ratings and general appeal aren't on that level. We don't rate a Hating-Fictional-Females-For-Being-Unlikable-Is-Basically-Misogyny derail. Are we to save the thread from shittiness by drowning it in a different variety of shittiness?

I think a lot of the criticisms are coming from people who were iffy about the season from the start but gave it a chance to get back on it's feet before openly criticizing it. I enjoy this season so far, but I can admit it's not on the same level as the previous Harmon seasons. I trust it will get better, though.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
New Between the Takes for this weeks episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDMBpI08xU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

El Tortuga posted:

The pirates turn out to be a Captain Morgan party cruise.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Old James posted:

The pirates turn out to be a Captain Morgan party cruise.

This better be what Donald Glover's F/X show turns out to be about.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Victor Vermis posted:

You sly dog. What do you think this is, Breaking Bad? Community's ratings and general appeal aren't on that level. We don't rate a Hating-Fictional-Females-For-Being-Unlikable-Is-Basically-Misogyny derail. Are we to save the thread from shittiness by drowning it in a different variety of shittiness?
I understand that this is a forum thread on the Internet, but there's no reason that discussing gender biases necessarily has to be a lovely derail. If one can't even bring up the topic without people flipping poo poo, maybe that's a problem?

quote:

I think a lot of the criticisms are coming from people who were iffy about the season from the start but gave it a chance to get back on it's feet before openly criticizing it. I enjoy this season so far, but I can admit it's not on the same level as the previous Harmon seasons. I trust it will get better, though.
See, that's a reasonable and reasoned critique. In retrospect it was silly for me to even post those last 2 paragraphs, if only because it's not going to change anything. Still, against my better judgment, I'd like to clarify that I wasn't trying telling anyone to "stop hating the show", just pointing out that if you just come in saying "the show sucks now" (or "shut up, the show is amazing now!") without even explaining why, then of course it's going to devolve into a shouting contest. In essence, posts with more content are more fun to read and respond to.

Now I feel bad for bringing it up, but...you all learned a lesson! And I gave differently-gendered people a voice!
(thread walks away)
Now I feel really bad. No, come back! Let's be fat dogs about this?!

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

JesusFists posted:

Aside from that general criticism, the Britta hate from this episode has been predictable and goony. Guys, remember two weeks ago, when Abed revealed he'd been emotionally manipulating Annie with a fake e-relationship, just so she'd cook breakfast? Britta takes things too far, because that's what you do in a sitcom, but her point, which is that if you don't care about spoiling other people, you shouldn't be upset about getting spoiled, is valid. Obviously Britta did not set the whole deaf girl thing up from the beginning, because it was Abed who initially approached her to have her fill out the school census. Besides, the bribe didn't spoil his chances with the deaf girl, who had another reason to interact with him, and as it turns out he wasn't that into her anyway. Oh, and Britta genuinely felt terrible it when she saw the effect of her successful spoiling (I thought cloned Abed was missing original Abed's wild emotionality!), but I guess the damage to our collective sperg-hearts was already done.

Fair point, I completely spaced on Abed now being Clone Abed which makes me his sudden switch as he saw Brie Larson more acceptable to me. I think my main problem with the whole Britta/Abed thing was that it felt a little bit rushed; Abed feel bad/Britta feel bad was the summary at the end. I guess the reason I'm more bothered by Brittas actions than Abeds, in this situation, is because she seems to see herself as a moral person and that was a pretty obvious misstep to make for her; then again it is Britta so I'm probably just expecting to much. I agree sitcoms are about taking things too far but that just seemed like a significant step-up for Britta; then again I'm probably spacing on previous things she's done.

I do need to remember Britta is the worst; and that she can make some bad decisions without meaning to. I think it's a bit much to use words like hatred or suddenly label people questioning her actions as misogynistic though.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 1, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

JesusFists posted:

I'd like to clarify that I wasn't trying telling anyone to "stop hating the show", just pointing out that if you just come in saying "the show sucks now" (or "shut up, the show is amazing now!") without even explaining why, then of course it's going to devolve into a shouting contest. In essence, posts with more content are more fun to read and respond to.

Totally in agreement. Throughout Season 4 I tried to expand on specific reasons why I hated the episodes- usually it was because the characters felt off and a gimmicky theme felt forced into every episode. For example, a prison episode would be amazing if they committed to it like they did with the Mafia and Law & Order episodes, but instead we got half of a prison episode randomly squeezed into a B plot.

The Fincher episode of this season didn't totally wow me, but it had the balls to go all the way with it, like the gimmick episodes of earlier seasons.

JesusFists posted:

I understand that this is a forum thread on the Internet, but there's no reason that discussing gender biases necessarily has to be a lovely derail. If one can't even bring up the topic without people flipping poo poo, maybe that's a problem?

Britta's thing is that she's the worst. If Britta had a penis, she would be Abed if Abed secretly wanted people to like him for superficial reasons but also at the same time kinda wanted everyone to not like him. Think about that.

Also, the writers' intent was to make the viewer understand that Britta went too far. It's subtle, and you need to use a critical eye, but towards the end of the episode there's an easter egg where Britta basically says she went too far. Maybe someone can grab a screen cap and enhance it. Maybe. I don't know if we have the technology.

edit:

Found It.

Q: If Britta hates herself in this moment, is it because of gender bias?
A: Of course it is, dummy, women have been taught to loathe themselves from birth for centuries, join my Facebook group, we're working on ribbons..

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 1, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Victor Vermis posted:

but towards the end of the episode there's an easter egg where Britta basically says she went too far. Maybe someone can grab a screen cap and enhance it. Maybe. I don't know if we have the technology.

Wait, what? I didn't see this; explain!

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

Britta's thing is that she's the worst. If Britta had a penis, she would be Abed if Abed secretly wanted people to like him for superficial reasons but also at the same time kinda wanted everyone to not like him. Think about that.

Also, the writers' intent was to make the viewer understand that Britta went too far. It's subtle, and you need to use a critical eye, but towards the end of the episode there's an easter egg where Britta basically says she went too far. Maybe someone can grab a screen cap and enhance it. Maybe. I don't know if we have the technology.

My complaint was more that she didn't notice she was going to far, just too caught up in trying to spoil Abed I guess. I just thought it was something that she would notice and it was odd to me that she didn't. As I said maybe I'm just expecting to much from her/the show, which is my fault not the shows.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 1, 2014

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

JesusFists posted:

What's goony about it? Britta is easily my favorite character on the show. The problem was that she did something that didn't fit with her character at all. And as for the confessions, I think someone actually criticized them at the time them for being stupid and OTT. But at least Abed's confessions made sense on a character level, even if I had hoped that they would take him in another direction this season.

Victor Vermis posted:

I thought the first two episodes and the fourth were all great. I don't understand this thread's overreaction to criticism (this isn't directed against you). It's possible to dislike an episode without hating the show. And as for shittiness, for every post complaining about an episode, there seems to be at least five complaining about people complaining. And now there's also a post complaining about people complaining about people complaining. Good times!

Woden
May 6, 2006

HppyCmpr posted:

My complaint was more that she didn't notice she was going to far, just too caught up in trying to spoil Abed I guess. I just thought it was something that she would notice and it was odd to me that she didn't. As I said maybe I'm just expecting to much from her/the show, which is my fault not the shows.
Doesn't she usually get reigned in by Jeff? He was off doing other stuff so she just kept rolling with it and went too far. I actually liked Abed getting his comeuppance for once, that dude is pretty evil and the only character I don't really like.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Props to the show for not using fake sign language. Abed actually did say "I-DETONATE-OYSTER" there. Though he didn't technically use past tense, that hardly matters in ASL anyway.

Scuttle_SE posted:

New Between the Takes for this weeks episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDMBpI08xU

One of the completed agenda items is "Fill Pit" :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sakarja posted:

And now there's also a post complaining about people complaining about people complaining. Good times!

This is the most meta show out there, so it only makes sense.

• Locked thread