Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Voltage posted:

It's funny seeing people say the Fiesta is so small. I know it's a small car, but I daily drove my Miata for the past year, so going to the ST was like getting an Escalade for me, it seems downright massive.
I say give it a shot, I don't want to sound preachy but I'm betting most people don't need such large cars, I'm sure you would adapt to it just fine, and the turbo will make you not care about the space concerns anyway.

We should get Club Badges made or something, I just went from daily driving a Miata (for like ten years) to a Volvo C30, which only has 2 doors (but my, what wide doors they are) but I feel EXACTLY the same way- the loving thing is cavernous. Sure, I could have gotten a full sized wagon, but I think this will do nicely.

Mines turbo is probably only for show, though. First FI car I've ever driven where I have no idea if it's on the boost or not. Maybe it was easier to put a turbo on it than a muffler or something(because Volvo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The new Golf really does look great. Really the best hot hatch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think the Mk6 Golf R still looks slightly better, but I won't complain because the nicer interior and power make up for it.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
So I got something that isn't a Ford. Been driving it for a week now and I've gotten so many compliments about the colour. Also literally everyone wants to race me, from Camrys to Golf Rs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sir Winston Beehill posted:

So I got something that isn't a Ford. Been driving it for a week now and I've gotten so many compliments about the colour. Also literally everyone wants to race me, from Camrys to Golf Rs.

Is this the one that only comes in auto?

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is this the one that only comes in auto?

Yeah, dual clutch with paddles. Honestly I don't feel like I'm missing much without a 3rd pedal. Given how bad traffic is around here, auto is a blessing. And when you're on some twisty stuff the paddles let you go much faster than you normally would since you can pay more concentration on the road

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yay, I get my TDI back today just in time for tomorrow's giant snowstorm. gently caress driving this Chrysler 200 with absolutely lovely tires on it in the snow. Body shop got it done a full day early.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Is there a US Focus ST package breakdown anywhere?

All local dealers don't differentiate between the packages, couple that with shoddy photos and its hard to tell what is what. Does anyone have a no BS breakdown?

I really like the Recaro seats, but from what I gather that's ST2 and up.

Thanks!

PS: any performance or suspension differences among the twins?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1791apparel posted:

All local dealers don't differentiate between the packages, couple that with shoddy photos and its hard to tell what is what. Does anyone have a no BS breakdown?

Thanks!

For the ST - you'll want to scroll down and click 201A (ST2) and 202A (ST3)
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/st5door/

The twins meaning the Subaru/Scion? No performance difference, apparently some slight suspension tweaks.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

PadreScout posted:

Mines turbo is probably only for show, though. First FI car I've ever driven where I have no idea if it's on the boost or not. Maybe it was easier to put a turbo on it than a muffler or something(because Volvo).

Well, it is the exact same engine as in the second generation Focus ST and when I drove one I thought it was quite feisty? Fun fact; Ford named the engine the "Ford Duratec-ST" in a lot of literature and passed it off as an offshot of the Duratec family, when it's obvious for anyone who's ever seen a white block before that that is hogwash.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

1791apparel posted:

Thanks!

Check the pics of the front seats, if they say Recaro but only have partial leather that is the ST2 package. If it has full leather Recaro's that is the ST3 package.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For Ford vehicles use this URL and just replace the ending VIN with the car you're looking at. It'll show you a PDF of the window sticker. I use it all the time to see what packages are installed on cars.

code:
http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FAHP2KT1DG111757

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Thanks everyone.

I found a new local 2013 ST2 advertised at $22k. Thoughts?

Any changes from 2013 to 2014?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

22K for an ST2 with no moonroof is a really good price. There's 2K in rebates right now on them and I guess Ford made a lot of them as they've been selling at invoice or less in my area for a while. My local dealer was doing 3K off MSRP on 2014's and 4K off MSRP on 2013's just to move them off the lot.

My target price on an ST2 with no moonroof or nav would be about 22.5 with the 2K in rebates. If you finance with Ford for 0 or 1.9% there should still be about 1500 in rebates.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

skipdogg posted:

22K for an ST2 with no moonroof is a really good price. There's 2K in rebates right now on them and I guess Ford made a lot of them as they've been selling at invoice or less in my area for a while. My local dealer was doing 3K off MSRP on 2014's and 4K off MSRP on 2013's just to move them off the lot.

My target price on an ST2 with no moonroof or nav would be about 22.5 with the 2K in rebates. If you finance with Ford for 0 or 1.9% there should still be about 1500 in rebates.

It has a moon roof and nav, so it sounds like a good deal.

Let's see what they offer on my trade in.

Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dang. Moonroof and Nav kick invoice pricing up to 26.5. With the 2K in rebates that's still 24.5, Not sure how they're going to sell that car for 22 unless there are some other rebates/back end cash I'm not aware of.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

skipdogg posted:

Dang. Moonroof and Nav kick invoice pricing up to 26.5. With the 2K in rebates that's still 24.5, Not sure how they're going to sell that car for 22 unless there are some other rebates/back end cash I'm not aware of.

It incurred just over $1k in damage while being shipped. It's fully repaired, cosmetic, but Ford dictates that in such situations the vehicles are sold as used.

I'm guessing that's scared away other potential buyers who assumed it was in a real mechanical accident.

We'll see what they're willing to do tomorrow. Right now it won't get out of the parking lot without snow tires, so that's some room for negotiation.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

1791apparel posted:

It incurred just over $1k in damage while being shipped. It's fully repaired, cosmetic, but Ford dictates that in such situations the vehicles are sold as used.

I'm guessing that's scared away other potential buyers who assumed it was in a real mechanical accident.

We'll see what they're willing to do tomorrow. Right now it won't get out of the parking lot without snow tires, so that's some room for negotiation.

Yo thats a pretty sick deal. I would jump on that. I can understand wanting a pure virginal undamaged new car but if its cosmetic and now fixed theres not much left to it.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

Yo thats a pretty sick deal. I would jump on that. I can understand wanting a pure virginal undamaged new car but if its cosmetic and now fixed theres not much left to it.

Agreed. Fixed cosmetic is fine, if it were major it'd be a much bigger issue.

Let's see what they offer on my Miata trade in. Possible update tomorrow. Thanks everyone :-)

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
I got a WRX hatch almost a year ago, and coming from an MX-5 it is pretty amazing. Since I live in the northeast, the AWD makes it a beast in the snow with snow tires compared to having RWD for the last 3 winters.

After a detailing last summer:

And winter mode!

Thalamus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 1, 2014

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Thalamus posted:

I got a WRX hatch almost a year ago, and coming from an MX-5 it is pretty amazing. Since I live in the northeast, the AWD makes it a beast in the snow with snow tires compared to having RWD for the last 3 winters.

After a detailing last the summer:

And winter mode!

I like it!

They're about $5k or of my price range, otherwise they'd be my first choice.

I've watched and read countless reviews on the ST, and there's been a ton of praise for the overall balance and handling. I'm hoping that it's a nice compromise. The torque should help :-)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I've had a 2005 WRX wagon for eight years and it's getting up there in mileage. I'd really like to replace it with something similarly useful, but with a nicer interior and a bit more polish because I spend an hour a day "commuting" in DC (i.e., sitting in traffic). I don't do any track driving, but I'd like to get started this year so all the better if my DD is capable. Also, we don't usually get much snow here, so I don't really *need* the AWD I suppose.

I test drove a 2014 WRX hatch earlier today and wasn't too impressed... the shifter is godawful and the transmission feels as clacky and vague as the one in my 2005. The power and (exterior) styling are great, but the interior is a little sad for a car that costs nearly 30k.

How does the Focus ST compare, probably the ST3? I believe my local dealer is advertising those for about 26k, and that seems like a good value to me. Literally everything I've read/watched about the ST is very positive.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

the milk machine posted:

I've had a 2005 WRX wagon for eight years and it's getting up there in mileage. I'd really like to replace it with something similarly useful, but with a nicer interior and a bit more polish because I spend an hour a day "commuting" in DC (i.e., sitting in traffic). I don't do any track driving, but I'd like to get started this year so all the better if my DD is capable. Also, we don't usually get much snow here, so I don't really *need* the AWD I suppose.

I test drove a 2014 WRX hatch earlier today and wasn't too impressed... the shifter is godawful and the transmission feels as clacky and vague as the one in my 2005. The power and (exterior) styling are great, but the interior is a little sad for a car that costs nearly 30k.

How does the Focus ST compare, probably the ST3? I believe my local dealer is advertising those for about 26k, and that seems like a good value to me. Literally everything I've read/watched about the ST is very positive.

The ST3 interior is probably going to feel like a Ford interior after a long time of sitting in it but it offers a lot of features-- the Recaros being the biggest one. 26K is pretty good, not to mention that there are probably rebates/discounts available.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Glad I found this thread, I purchased a '14 Fiesta ST last weekend and I love it. Good gas mileage, snappy acceleration and the interior seems to be near the same size as the 07 Impreza I had before.
I have a rather juvenile question, but is there a way I can get an idea of how loud an aftermaket cone intake would be? I've heard the BPV is rather pronounced when not using the factory air box.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I've been looking into this PoleStar stuff my little meatball mobile. Looks fascinating. I can do 250 hp 273 torques with no loss of warranty and it will frisk up my automatic. Yes, please!

I think this is how addictions start.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
I purchased a 2013 Focus ST (ST2) today with 6-year bumper to bumper for $24K TTL included. This package includes navigation, as well as a moonroof and Sony 10-speaker setup.

Overall I think it's a pretty good deal. There's $2K worth of taxes and warranty in that number.

I've never purchased an additional warranty in the past, but the electronics make me nervous in this car. For $1000 it seemed like a decent piece of mind.

I'm happy to be joining the crew!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

1791apparel posted:

I purchased a 2013 Focus ST (ST2) today with 6-year bumper to bumper for $24K TTL included. This package includes navigation, as well as a moonroof and Sony 10-speaker setup.

Overall I think it's a pretty good deal. There's $2K worth of taxes and warranty in that number.

I've never purchased an additional warranty in the past, but the electronics make me nervous in this car. For $1000 it seemed like a decent piece of mind.

I'm happy to be joining the crew!

Yo that is a good deal. Let me live vicariously through you because I love good deals.

I bought mine a year ago today! So she got washed today. I put on a Green branded air filter I heard recommended on some ST forum. I can hear the BPV and turbo a lot better too.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

Yo that is a good deal. Let me live vicariously through you because I love good deals.

I bought mine a year ago today! So she got washed today. I put on a Green branded air filter I heard recommended on some ST forum. I can hear the BPV and turbo a lot better too.

Thanks!

I like it! What exhaust did you install? Is it just different tips? I want to go to circles like yours.

So did you just remove the air filter box and install a filter? Is this the one? http://www.autoanything.com/air-fil...CFeYWMgodQycA8Q

Are you running 87 or 91 octane?

EDIT: do you know what the H11 headlight wattage should be? 55W? 80W?

12345random fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 2, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Well I made the trade. Last night I traded my 2013 Grand Cherokee for a 2014 Fiesta ST. I test drove the Fiesta and the Focus and I just liked the Fiesta better. The Focus had massive wheel spin, hop, and torque steer in first and second gears. Third gear is where things started to get exciting, but by then I was going 70mph and had to let off. While the Focus is faster and roomier, the Fiesta just has a "gotta have it" factor that's hard to explain. The clutch feels better, the steering is extremely precise, somehow the transmission feels tighter and easier to operate, and the car bounces between lanes with no effort at all. And Richard Hammond said it best that the car just pulls and pulls. It's so much fun.

I got it for $400 over invoice and they threw in Lo-jack ($500) for free. It has the leather Recaro seat package, painted wheels and brake calipers, Nav, and pretty much everything except the power moonroof. That thing was about 10 inches front to back which is a waste of money and weight.

I also opted for the 5 year 60k maintenance plan, which covers brakes and clutch. Suckers. And I can cancel it at any time and get a refund, which is nice.

The best part is including gas savings, insurance incentives, and reduced monthly payment, I'm saving almost $400 per month over my Grand Cherokee. I got 31mpg driving 30 miles home from the dealership. It beats the hell out of my GC's 12.

It's definitely smaller than I'm used to, but I managed to fit my 6'2 self, my 6'4 brother, 5'6 girlfriend, 75 lb dog, and a ton of groceries and stuff for a Superbowl party today with room to spare. I'm just treating this car like a two door coupe that happens to have four doors. The back seat leg room is about as small as a typical 2 door coupe.

Now the challenge is to be good and NOT modify this thing.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

BoostCreep posted:

Well I made the trade. Last night I traded my 2013 Grand Cherokee for a 2014 Fiesta ST. I test drove the Fiesta and the Focus and I just liked the Fiesta better. The Focus had massive wheel spin, hop, and torque steer in first and second gears. Third gear is where things started to get exciting, but by then I was going 70mph and had to let off. While the Focus is faster and roomier, the Fiesta just has a "gotta have it" factor that's hard to explain. The clutch feels better, the steering is extremely precise, somehow the transmission feels tighter and easier to operate, and the car bounces between lanes with no effort at all. And Richard Hammond said it best that the car just pulls and pulls. It's so much fun.

I test drove both too and agree with your choice of the Fiesta. Fiesta just felt lighter and more fun to drive to me vs the Focus. I really wanted to buy one but both the local Ford dealers near me were horrible to deal with so I went with something different (Abarth). A shame because they are both great cars and can't really say much negative about either of them.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That's a drat good deal for a loaded ST. I love mine but I wish I had found one with Recaro's, unfortunately just finding a Fiesta ST locally was difficult (plenty of Focus ST's for some reason though).

Just get ready for almost everyone to compliment it with "what a cute little car". To which the only response is :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BoostCreep posted:

I think there's a job opening at Car and Driver for a comparison tester. :v:

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Nice purchase!

It should feel lighter, it's 500 pounds less than the Focus. Nice color to boot!

My dealer seems a bit hesitant to perform the Focus TSB to replace the motor mounts prior to me taking delivery this coming weekend...the state they can't test it with snow. Well no kidding. It's impacted given the build date, so I don't see why they're being fussy.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

I got it for $400 over invoice and they threw in Lo-jack ($500) for free. It has the leather Recaro seat package, painted wheels and brake calipers, Nav, and pretty much everything except the power moonroof. That thing was about 10 inches front to back which is a waste of money and weight.

I also opted for the 5 year 60k maintenance plan, which covers brakes and clutch. Suckers. And I can cancel it at any time and get a refund, which is nice.

The best part is including gas savings, insurance incentives, and reduced monthly payment, I'm saving almost $400 per month over my Grand Cherokee. I got 31mpg driving 30 miles home from the dealership. It beats the hell out of my GC's 12.

It's definitely smaller than I'm used to, but I managed to fit my 6'2 self, my 6'4 brother, 5'6 girlfriend, 75 lb dog, and a ton of groceries and stuff for a Superbowl party today with room to spare. I'm just treating this car like a two door coupe that happens to have four doors. The back seat leg room is about as small as a typical 2 door coupe.

Now the challenge is to be good and NOT modify this thing.

Looks good, I've got one just like it, except I have moonroof and I don't have the Recaros.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

the milk machine posted:

So I went and drove an ST3 on Saturday. It's a really great car, but I felt even more cramped than in my WRX... it's not that the Focus is small as much as I had very poor side and rear visibility, and the Recaros are incredible but too narrow for my back/shoulders. I also strongly disliked how the piped-in engine sound (which does sound very good when you bury the pedal) gets switched "on" and "off" at low revs. Very fun to drive, however.

I guess I have to see what's good in the "sport sedan" segment these days. Ugh.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

the milk machine posted:

So I went and drove an ST3 on Saturday. It's a really great car, but I felt even more cramped than in my WRX... it's not that the Focus is small as much as I had very poor side and rear visibility, and the Recaros are incredible but too narrow for my back/shoulders. I also strongly disliked how the piped-in engine sound (which does sound very good when you bury the pedal) gets switched "on" and "off" at low revs. Very fun to drive, however.

Not really a hatch for 2015, but the WRX gets a glowing review (and a sub 5 second 0-60) in the March 2014 Car and Driver.

ETA: Anyone know when the 2015 Golf R is going to be available in the US?Looks like 1Q15.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 3, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

the milk machine posted:

Yeah i agree with the synthesizer sound but that helps you so much on long drives that you're not listening to the thing drone.

1791apparel posted:

My dealer seems a bit hesitant to perform the Focus TSB to replace the motor mounts prior to me taking delivery this coming weekend...the state they can't test it with snow. Well no kidding. It's impacted given the build date, so I don't see why they're being fussy.

The two dealers I've found in Corpus Christi are hesitant to do it at all. Neither will keep their appointments for test drive and they say at least it will take a week. I don't get it. Both said that once and only if they test drive it they need to have it in the shop for a few days so they can order the parts. Then they have to have it back for a few to install. Why do they need the car there to order the parts? The TSB has the parts list on it. They are both being super shady and have/will straight up ignored me. :(

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah i agree with the synthesizer sound but that helps you so much on long drives that you're not listening to the thing drone.

The two dealers I've found in Corpus Christi are hesitant to do it at all. Neither will keep their appointments for test drive and they say at least it will take a week. I don't get it. Both said that once and only if they test drive it they need to have it in the shop for a few days so they can order the parts. Then they have to have it back for a few to install. Why do they need the car there to order the parts? The TSB has the parts list on it. They are both being super shady and have/will straight up ignored me. :(

Oh hey, check out my questions to you a few posts up!

Well I hear you. Here you can't drive aggressively in the winter, moreover it's well documented, they should honor it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

I think there's a job opening at Car and Driver for a comparison tester. :v:

Yeah it's cheesy, but I don't know how else to explain it.

But I got 35mpg mixed city/highway into work today staying mostly out of boost. Can't argue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

1791apparel posted:

Thanks!

I like it! What exhaust did you install? Is it just different tips? I want to go to circles like yours.

So did you just remove the air filter box and install a filter? Is this the one?

Are you running 87 or 91 octane?

EDIT: do you know what the H11 headlight wattage should be? 55W? 80W?

The exhaust I'm using is MRT exhaust. http://www.mrt-direct.com/2013-ford-focus-eco-flow-exhaust.html

And yes, that is the filter I installed. Haven't noticed much other than the BPV noise and a little turbo noise if I have the windows down. I installed it into the stock airbox. I'm running 91 but I honestly almost saw no difference between it and 87. most of the time I will go for the better quality gas, IE if I can find a Liberty station and get 87 ethanol free I will go for that over premium with ethanol in it.