Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is this what that deleted facebook notification I saw was about? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
While driving in a residential area at 25mph with the wife and kid last night, I was passed on the right. Except there was no right lane, just parking for the folks who live in the neighborhood.
The guy booked it past me, got in front, then went the exact same speed I was going. Thought he was planning to brake check me or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fucknag posted:

Is this what that deleted facebook notification I saw was about? ;)

:haw: I think I started to post the unedited video though. Which has a barely visible license plate, clearly visible street signs, and you can hear me babbling sweet nothings to the 911 operator's inner ear. Stuff such as street, direction of travel, my name, and :siren: my phone number.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

While driving in a residential area at 25mph with the wife and kid last night, I was passed on the right. Except there was no right lane, just parking for the folks who live in the neighborhood.
The guy booked it past me, got in front, then went the exact same speed I was going. Thought he was planning to brake check me or something.

I too passed someone on the right last night.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I share a fence with a school, and I usually just try to time my departure from work to miss the traffic. The road leading up to the school is a dead end about a half mile long, with a left hand turn that leads to my house being about halfway down. The road will back up almost the whole length when school is getting out. If I get caught in it, I'll usually have to sit about 20 minutes unless there's some sort of miracle combination of having enough time to pass everyone in the oncoming lane without children crossing the street at the turn. I'd be welcoming to a loop traffic cop (and an extra crossing guard) into this situation, as it would make the time I have to get to my turn predictable at least.

It gets even worse when I finally get to my house. There's about a 75% chance that someone has parked or blocked my driveway. I'll usually just signal, then wave, then honk, and often I have to just get out of my car and tell them to move out of my driveway so I can park (further backing up traffic, since the only place left for my car is in the middle of the road). Then they'll get irate ("I'm just picking up my kid gently caress you why are you loving honking at me!"), or tell me kindly that they're just there to pick up their kid and will be gone when their kid shows up (no poo poo why else would you be here), or they won't be in their car at all, or sometimes they'll kindly move. Mind you, there is also a no parking sign I got from the city clearly posted in my driveway.

There will always be someone parked on the grass verge in front of my house, which ruts it out and makes my house look like poo poo. I tried to make a cheap fence out of wood and rope, with a gated end to block off my driveway too. Coming home from work after the first weekday I had it up, someone clearly ran over half of it with a truck/suv and left. I salvaged what I could of my fence and left half of it up. The next day every stake except for the one nearest my post box was ran over. I was considering concrete moai statues or something to replace the fence, but I figured that it might lead to a lawsuit and I was better off just giving up. Maybe I'll just put up some cardboard cutouts of children and see how long they last.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 1, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dougdrums posted:

Maybe I'll just put up some cardboard cutouts of children and see how long they last.

And a webcam?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I think you should start taking pictures of the vehicles, license plates, drivers and damage to your yard. Do you call the police when there are people parked in the no parking area? The non-emergency number would be perfect for this and I would hope after several calls someone would come out and hand out a ticket or something.

Christ, what makes people think they can just gently caress up your yard or block you from your house just so they can pick up their kids?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 1, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Usually you can call the police department and parking authority to complain about a chronic issue and the cops will send someone to get a tasty bump in their ticket quota.

I do it every so often when the German SUV brigade at the nearby school get saucy about obeying the school zone limit because only their kid needs to be protected and all others should know well enough to stay out of the way of their 8 ton Aryan death machine.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Well parking on the verge isn't technically illegal, since I don't own it and there's no law (as far as I know) prohibiting it. As for parking in my driveway, I can report them for trespassing, or have them towed thanks to the sign. The state I live in has lenient trespassing laws that would require me to post another big fuckoff sign in order for it to be considered trespassing, and towing isn't practical for obvious reasons. Blocking my driveway is also excepted in state law for picking up passengers.

Really my only option is to build a bigger fence and barricades, but I'm not sure if the barricades would leave me liable for damages (I could always say it was for protecting the children, right?).

Or move, I might move.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think even just having a cop wandering around will probably discourage the behaviour.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dougdrums posted:

Really my only option is to build a bigger fence and barricades, but I'm not sure if the barricades would leave me liable for damages (I could always say it was for protecting the children, right?).

Or move, I might move.

Make posts out of landscaping timbers and sink them in concrete so they stick up 3 feet or so. Then connect them with rope to make it look nice. A neighbor did this to stop assholes from parking on his lawn and it worked well.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Make posts out of landscaping timbers and sink them in concrete so they stick up 3 feet or so. Then connect them with rope to make it look nice. A neighbor did this to stop assholes from parking on his lawn and it worked well.

The only problem is he said he doesn't own the verge, so that might actually be illegal.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I could just attach a post box to them, maybe.

Then I could prioritize my mail by having the post man sort it by suite number and have all of the loving coupon books go into the regular one.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2014

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Dear bicyclists: I'm fine with you guys, really I am. I respect your alternative transportation method. However, please don't ride against traffic drat near in the middle of the lane during rush hour. Particularly not on a stretch of road with narrow lanes, no shoulder, and hills steep enough to block my line of sight until I'm drat near running you over.

Thanks.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Solkanar512 posted:

Christ, what makes people think they can just gently caress up your yard or block you from your house just so they can pick up their kids?

:ssh: careful, you're going to make nsaP start ranting about people who don't bend over backwards for parents and their children while picking up or dropping them off for school again...

dougdrums posted:

There's about a 75% chance that someone has parked or blocked my driveway. [They] tell me kindly that they're just there to pick up their kid and will be gone when their kid shows up

Solution when faced with this scenario: park on the street across the approach and kindly tell the person you're just going to be inside for a few hours and will let them out when you leave to run some errands before dinner.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So blocking driveways is legal in some states? What about ambulance depots and fire stations? What about blocking the fire chiefs driveway?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IronCastKnight posted:

Dear bicyclists: I'm fine with you guys, really I am. I respect your alternative transportation method. However, please don't ride against traffic drat near in the middle of the lane during rush hour. Particularly not on a stretch of road with narrow lanes, no shoulder, and hills steep enough to block my line of sight until I'm drat near running you over.

Thanks.
It's a combination of people not understanding that cycling is not the same as being a pedestrian, and bad advice about facing the stream of traffic so you can see it coming (which is pretty valid for pedestrians).

Dougdrums: Take a rotavator to the verge so it's a complete morass and they sink into it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Geoj posted:

:ssh: careful, you're going to make nsaP start ranting about people who don't bend over backwards for parents and their children while picking up or dropping them off for school again...

Nah, you got me all wrong, parking in your driveway and driving on your grass isn't cool. Your post wasn't really necessary. Glad I'm on your mind tho ;-*

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm sitting in my car in a walmart parking lot right now because i would rather eat a gun piece by piece then go inside, and just saw a girl back her Cobalt into the bigass Chevy 1500 parked next to me. Didn't do poo poo to the truck, and in their defense they got out to make sure there wasn't damage to it. When they drove off I noticed that the same corner they had hit the truck with was already cracked and had bondo applied over it, that was itself cracking. So this is probably a semi-regular thing for her.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

So blocking driveways is legal in some states? What about ambulance depots and fire stations? What about blocking the fire chiefs driveway?

quote:

316.1945 Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places.—
(b) Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers:
1. In front of a public or private driveway.
2. Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
3. Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.
4. Within 30 feet upon the approach to any flashing signal, stop sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway.
5. Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of such entrance (when property signposted).
6. On an exclusive bicycle lane.
7. At any place where official traffic control devices prohibit standing.

So I suppose it's legal to block a fire station, "occupied or not, except momentarily".

I guess I could go to a city council meeting or something because that seems ridiculous.

I also may have left out the important fact that this is Florida.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So you can stop just as momentarily right in the middle of the road at the entrance to your street?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Nah that's a separate paragraph, just near it.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.1945.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Comedy option: invest in a set of gojacks and wheel people who refuse to move out into the street.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

Comedy option: invest in a set of gojacks and wheel people who refuse to move out into the street.

Install plow mount to front of vehicle, swap plow for pallet-forks. :getin:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dougdrums posted:

So I suppose it's legal to block a fire station, "occupied or not, except momentarily".

I guess I could go to a city council meeting or something because that seems ridiculous.

You're reading it exactly backwards

E: We had a moderate-sized parking lot across from a school and when people who didn't belong there parked there we had a Kastein-worthy truck we'd park sideways an inch from their rear bumper and just wait for them to have to knock on the house door begging to be let out.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 1, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guys help it snowed a couple inches and my supposedly badass Jeep got stuck. :qq:

Also, this is why you clear your roof, fucker. Goddamn I despise these people.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Better just give up now and find the nearest Wal-Mart or Home Depot and settle in for the night.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

xzzy posted:

supposedly badass Jeep

What? No, that's a Liberty.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Calling it a Jeep certainly is. :downsrim:

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

xzzy posted:

Also, this is why you clear your roof, fucker. Goddamn I despise these people.

Why would you need to see out of the back? That's where you've already been.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

Yes but that's what the buyer was thinking when they purchased it.

"Awwww yeah I got a Jeep, time to go mudding!!!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dougdrums posted:

I also may have left out the important fact that this is Florida.

Not a lawyer, but I'd bet that "momentarily" means you stop just long enough for someone in the car to safely get out / get their things, or someone already at the car to put their things in / get in. Waiting for someone who is not yet actually present to arrive seems outside of that scope to me.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Not a lawyer either but I have had a few law classes and I'm reading it the same way. It is illegal to park or be stopped for more than a moment in front of any of those places listed.

Call the non-emergency police number and tell them that people are blocking driveways and refusing to allow residents to enter/leave their property during school pickup/drop off times. Also talk to your neighbors and get them to report the same.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So on the way to.work today I almost hit a bicylist. I was coming off a major highway offramp onto a 6 lane road and Spandex boy decided that red lights don't apply to him. And of course there's no bicycle lanes or anything so he's basically in the middle of the road.

You know, I like cyclists and I wish there were more ways for them to get around, but I shouldn't have to wonder if there going to be running red lights every time I see one heading for an intersection

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I travelled home tonight on a highway packed with about 6+ inches of snow during a snowstorm. Its normally three lanes but had turned into one unofficial lane so everyone had some space to slide around. It was a very orderly line of cars and trucks moving about 50-70km/h for about an hour. No one panicked, no one flexed MY POSITRAC into a barrier, and everyone kept a good distance.

It is official: severe winter has brow beaten Canadian drivers into being good at winter driving again.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ExplodingSims posted:

So on the way to.work today I almost hit a bicylist. I was coming off a major highway offramp onto a 6 lane road and Spandex boy decided that red lights don't apply to him. And of course there's no bicycle lanes or anything so he's basically in the middle of the road.

You know, I like cyclists and I wish there were more ways for them to get around, but I shouldn't have to wonder if there going to be running red lights every time I see one heading for an intersection

As a cyclist (at least I like to think of myself as one), I can't stand bikes that run red lights. I don't care who you are, don't run red lights*.

* That being said, I have run a red light on my bicycle before, but only because I came to a stop, there were no other cars around, and for some reason the magnetic strip wasn't acknowledging my bike and therefore the light was red for 2 full minutes before I went though. If the light doesn't respond to your bike, go ahead once you have double checked that there are no cars coming. That requires a full stop though...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I will admit I've run more than my share of stop signs on a bike.

But only if I can see that the intersection is completely clear in every direction, and again, only if it's a stop for every direction. If it's completely obvious that everything is completely clear, and every direction into the intersection has a stop sign, and it's outside of peak traffic hours.... then it's "grab brakes enough to make drat loving sure nothing, even on foot, is remotely close to the intersection.. gently caress THIS poo poo, FULL SPEED AHEAD", since it's a lot more work to bring a bicycle back up to speed.

The only time I'll run a light is if I get off the bike and walk it through the crosswalk, or if it's late at night and it's completely obvious that no car is around. If a motorcycle can't trip a sensor, I don't expect my bicycle to trip it.

I've been yelled at by a few cops for riding through a red light, and lived in a college town for a bit...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That's known as an Idaho stop. In Idaho, bicycles can treat red lights as stop signs and stop signs as yield signs. p. good law.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds more like a good way to get yourself killed to me.

I generally treat the rules of the road the same way on a bike as I do in a car. Besides, while it can be frustrating to have to stop when on a good run, it's also satisfying to just dump torque and fire off gears away from a stop.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

I travelled home tonight on a highway packed with about 6+ inches of snow during a snowstorm. Its normally three lanes but had turned into one unofficial lane so everyone had some space to slide around. It was a very orderly line of cars and trucks moving about 50-70km/h for about an hour. No one panicked, no one flexed MY POSITRAC into a barrier, and everyone kept a good distance.

It is official: severe winter has brow beaten Canadian drivers into being good at winter driving again.

Some of them, maybe. The 416 will forever be a wasteland of good winter driving. When I can pass your hummer (who is doing 40km/h) in my miata, in the outside lane that has about 6" of snowpack, then proceed back to doing 80-90km/h in the relatively clearish right lane, you're doing it wrong. This happens every time I drive the 416 in a snowstorm, without fail. Last night it was a hummer, the time before that multiple 4x4 trucks, a few jeeps, many other suv's, etc. I enjoy that people aren't generally speeding, but if all you can manage is 40km/h when most of the traffic is managing 80-90 (even the transports! watching them pull into the left lane and slide the trailer around while going past someone is both sphincter clenching and awesome at the same time) get off the loving road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

Some of them, maybe. The 416 will forever be a wasteland of good winter driving. When I can pass your hummer (who is doing 40km/h) in my miata, in the outside lane that has about 6" of snowpack, then proceed back to doing 80-90km/h in the relatively clearish right lane, you're doing it wrong. This happens every time I drive the 416 in a snowstorm, without fail. Last night it was a hummer, the time before that multiple 4x4 trucks, a few jeeps, many other suv's, etc. I enjoy that people aren't generally speeding, but if all you can manage is 40km/h when most of the traffic is managing 80-90 (even the transports! watching them pull into the left lane and slide the trailer around while going past someone is both sphincter clenching and awesome at the same time) get off the loving road.

Last year I was driving to work in my Miata (which had a bum thermostat and therefore no heat) and came across a man who had crashed his brand-new Pathfinder into the ditch. The look of pure inarticulate rage on his face when he realized his eight ton elephantitis 4x4 was incapable of doing something my tiny gay car was happily doing with its friendly frog face is something I will always treasure.