Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Khorne Flakes posted:

Just got back from seeing St. Lucia live and picked up their LP. They are really awesome live and their When The Night album is just good fun front to back.

I saw them in Boston on the 21st, and I was really surprised with how much energy they and the crowd had. A++ would see live again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Thumpers are releasing their debut in two weeks, and it's really very good. Here's a single to tide you over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuSF6P_gj3Q

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not really sure where else to post this outside of making a thread specifically for it, but is anyone else seeing The Hold Steady on this tour? I'm pumped for the Cleveland show. First time I saw them I had only been listening to them for a week (it was a charity show that I was really going to for Titus Andronicus), and had only listened to Separation Sunday and Boys and Girls in America. Listening to Almost Killed Me right now and Stay Positive later.

Rolling Stone put up "I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You," which I'm quite fond of. Almost hear some Dinosaur Jr. in there.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-hold-steady-return-with-big-rock-aspirations-on-teeth-dreams-20140123#ixzz2rj2uHjQf

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
For the Elliott Smith fans among us:

quote:

Mike Doughty, former frontman for Soul Coughing, as well as a solo artist and author, has shared three previously unreleased recordings featuring Elliott Smith. They are electronic dance tracks featuring vocals from Smith and production from UUL, aka Doughty. According to Doughty, Smith recorded the vocals a cappella during a late 90s session at L.A.'s Sunset Sound Factory, while he was in town working on Good Will Hunting. Smith sang into a binaural head microphone.

Doughty only found the tape from the session in November 2013, but says the recordings have been presented here in their intended form. The backing tracks are new productions by Doughty under his UUL alias.

One track, "The Record", featured lyrics that eventually evolved into the Smith track "Bottle Up and Explode". "Dogs" opens with some audio of Smith speaking in the studio.

http://pitchfork.com/news/53748-elliott-smith-goes-edm-as-mike-doughty-shares-unreleased-collaborations/

I love Smith as much as any disillusioned 30-something but these are so, so, so bad. I broke out laughing at "Dogs."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Real Name Grover posted:

For the Elliott Smith fans among us:

http://pitchfork.com/news/53748-elliott-smith-goes-edm-as-mike-doughty-shares-unreleased-collaborations/

I love Smith as much as any disillusioned 30-something but these are so, so, so bad. I broke out laughing at "Dogs."

I got through about... 20 seconds of all of them combined? Wow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dogs sounds like some 10 year old's first song which contains Elliott Smith samples for some reason. Oh my god, this is amazing :allears:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I saw the hold steady a couple years back and they put on a pretty solid live show. Definitely the best thing to come out of my home town.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Thumpers are releasing their debut in two weeks, and it's really very good. Here's a single to tide you over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuSF6P_gj3Q

This is great thanks for posting it!

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

The new Broken Bells release is out and it's.. alright I guess? It's not as immediately catchy and memorable as the first one (I don't really care for danger mouse all that much to be honest, but I liked Broken Bells as a Shins fan). I'll listen to it a few more times and see how I feel but it's a bit more.. standard and low key I feel.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Callick posted:

The new Broken Bells release is out and it's.. alright I guess? It's not as immediately catchy and memorable as the first one (I don't really care for danger mouse all that much to be honest, but I liked Broken Bells as a Shins fan). I'll listen to it a few more times and see how I feel but it's a bit more.. standard and low key I feel.

Where is it out? Amazon shows it as being released on the 31st.

e: Oh, it's streaming on their site.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Not really sure where else to post this outside of making a thread specifically for it, but is anyone else seeing The Hold Steady on this tour? I'm pumped for the Cleveland show. First time I saw them I had only been listening to them for a week (it was a charity show that I was really going to for Titus Andronicus), and had only listened to Separation Sunday and Boys and Girls in America. Listening to Almost Killed Me right now and Stay Positive later.

If they come out to LA I definitely will. I saw them a few years ago and it was one of the best shows I've been too and made me an even bigger fan.

And Stay Positive is an excellent record, don't let jerks tell you any differently.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn't quite finish it because a friend came over and then I had to go, but I would say that while I liked it, it's definitely my least favorite of their first four. I remember Sequestered in Memphis being great live though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I loved Lifter Puller but I just haven't been able to get into The Hold Steady. Where would be a good place to start with their discography for someone who listened to Fiestas and Fiascos way too much?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I didn't quite finish it because a friend came over and then I had to go, but I would say that while I liked it, it's definitely my least favorite of their first four. I remember Sequestered in Memphis being great live though.

I'd give it a few more listens. I like it a lot more than Almost Killed Me. Boys and Girls is definitely my favorite, and then I go back and forth between Separation Sunday and Stay Positive for second place. I think Slapped Actress in the best song they've written though. The last album was the worst they've done, but even it had like three really good songs, and I've heard the new one is excellent so I'm looking forward to that.

rabidsquid posted:

I loved Lifter Puller but I just haven't been able to get into The Hold Steady. Where would be a good place to start with their discography for someone who listened to Fiestas and Fiascos way too much?

Separation Sunday probably.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
2014 will be an awesome year for shows for me! Just thought I'd share my current lineup:

- James Vincent McMorrow (in April)
- William Fitzsimmons (in June)

so excited! :)

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Speaking of concerts to look forward to, April is blowing up around me big time. Ones I plan to see in just the month of April are:

St. Vincent
Tycho
Betty Who
The National

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I've got:

St. Vincent in March, so excited :swoon:
Arcade Fire in August

This has been, and continues to be, a really lovely concert season, as far as I'm concerned.

e: Speaking of St. Vincent, what does everyone think of the two songs she's put out from her upcoming album?

Birth in Reverse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5BhXdVBqw

Digital Witness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LsBjrqqHA

Digital Witness in particular is very weird, but I love them both. Cannot wait for the album.

thehoodie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Neko Case just announced a tour with the Dodos opening. She guested on the Dodos' third album, No Color, so this is probably a good time to remind people that they released an album in mid-2013, called Carrier, and nobody noticed. Which is a shame, because while it's a departure from their first three releases it's not a bad album at all.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

thehoodie posted:

I've got:

Arcade Fire in August

This has been, and continues to be, a really lovely concert season, as far as I'm concerned.

e: Speaking of St. Vincent, what does everyone think of the two songs she's put out from her upcoming album?

Birth in Reverse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5BhXdVBqw

Digital Witness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LsBjrqqHA

Digital Witness in particular is very weird, but I love them both. Cannot wait for the album.

I really like them, but I was just introduced to St Vincent in the past month, so I might not be as nostalgic for her older stuff like most seem to be.

I've recently discovered Banks and can not get enough of her. She only has a four song EP and a few other singles, but I swear I've listened to it all like ten times in the past two days.

Banks - Waiting Game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaI5JCxOCdw

Banks - Brainhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIy0YOZW4Y

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm off to The National next week, and Okkervil River a few weeks after that. And I caught Daughter, Savages and CHVRCHES on Monday. Been a hella good summer of music.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I'm off to The National next week, and Okkervil River a few weeks after that. And I caught Daughter, Savages and CHVRCHES on Monday. Been a hella good summer of music.

Yep, a good january summer.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Action Serious posted:

Yep, a good january summer.

Yes, those things we get in some places that aren't America.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Yes, those things we get in some places that aren't America.

That's a fair point, assumptions were made after long day of studying. As for content, I'd like to see Chvrches again, and the National. I caught them both at Laneway and although both were very good, I'd like an indoor venue with a longer set.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

thehoodie posted:

I've got:

Me too, St. Vincent is going to be here at the end of March.

I also get Real Estate at the beginning of the month. :swoon:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
My only big concert is We Are Scientists in May. Speaking of which, has anyone seen them live?

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

That quilt album was surprisingly good

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

thehoodie posted:

I've got:

Arcade Fire in August

I am trying to save a few bucks to see St. Vincent this Spring, too. I saw her in Oakland two years ago and it was one of the best live shows I have ever been too, she is incredibly fun.

The new songs are fantastic. The second one is a video not a still picture and it took me awhile to notice :stare:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Accident Underwater posted:

I am trying to save a few bucks to see St. Vincent this Spring, too. I saw her in Oakland two years ago and it was one of the best live shows I have ever been too, she is incredibly fun.

The new songs are fantastic. The second one is a video not a still picture and it took me awhile to notice :stare:

When The National played Barclays this past June, she was around and came out to do some backing vocals on This is the Last Time. It stands out so well because, if I remember right, that was the public debut of her massive new blonde hairdo.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Broken Bells album. I've listened to it a few more times and it's grown on me some. I really like the first one a lot but this one's pretty good too :)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Callick posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Broken Bells album. I've listened to it a few more times and it's grown on me some. I really like the first one a lot but this one's pretty good too :)

Was just talking to a friend about this album. It's okay, but I like the sound of it more than the songs themselves, it you get what I mean. Like it's really well-produced and has a good vibe to it, but I don't know that you will ever catch me humming one of these songs. The first one took a bit to grow on me, though, so maybe I just haven't given it enough time.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Timber Timbre have released a new single from their upcoming album. I absolutely loved that goth-folk sound of their second album, so this 70s stripclub lament is a strange twist but I'm still looking forward to what the albums going to sound like as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtjOEWjrco

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Accident Underwater posted:

Digital Witness has a full music video now. It features a lot of pale-skinned people wearing pastel-colored clothes.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I've got Basia Bulat in March. Check her out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhbxOlUIqc

Also going to see Shearwater in Toronto at the end of March. I'm pretty excited for their new album. Fellow Travelers was good but I want some original material.

Then its James Vincent McMorrow in April, and Bombay Bicycle Club with Royal Canoe in May, so all in all not a bad concert lineup.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Shunkymonky posted:

Timber Timbre have released a new single from their upcoming album. I absolutely loved that goth-folk sound of their second album, so this 70s stripclub lament is a strange twist but I'm still looking forward to what the albums going to sound like as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtjOEWjrco

These guys are great, I'm excited about this.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Jose Juan Carlos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15pMHi9h8rI

My friend's band Oh Honey has been receiving some attention lately. They just got their song Be Okay in the rotation on Sirius Hits. They're fun and definitely worth checking out.

This was a while ago, but drat, I really enjoy this song. Always nice to hear some upbeat music for once.

In other news, heading to Wisconsin next week for the Neutral Milk Hotel concert in Madison. Super excited! This'll be my first real concert, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That new Hold Steady song is loving awesome. Never change, guys. I'm pretty stoked for the new album in March, although the singles from Heaven is Whenever were great yet the album as a whole never grabbed me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Beck album Morning Phase is out there and I'm a little over halfway through my first listen of it. It's decent. It's not my favorite Beck album, none of the songs I've heard so far sound like they beg to be listened to again, and this probably wasn't worth waiting 6 years for. It's not bad, though. Just not great either.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I can't stop listening to Tegan and Sara. HELP ME.

Or don't. I mean, they're pretty drat fantastic. It's just... they kind of depress me. Because of [reasons].

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got back from the Hold Steady. Great show, of course. Played a couple of new songs which were pretty decent. Notably missing were Stevie Nix and Party Pit. Also only one song from Almost Killed Me. Here's what they played in Cleveland--if setlist.fm is to be believed, they're changing things up from night to night.

The Swish
I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You
Multitude of Casualties
Girls Like Status
Hurricane J
Sequestered in Memphis
Cattle and the Creeping Things
On With The Business
First Night
Rock Problems
Magazines
Southtown Girls
Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night
Almost Everything
You Can Make Him Like You
Your Little Hoodrat Friend
Slapped Actress
---
Massive Nights
Constructive Summer
Hot Soft Light
Chips Ahoy!
Stuck Between Stations
Stay Positive

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 3, 2014

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A local music station has been streaming USS' new album Advanced basics here. Been enjoying it thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a new Cibo Matto album, and it's on NPR at the moment!