Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Caris, Hayami, and Latyss.

So a Paladin, a Ninja, and an Elf walk into a bar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Caris, Orubia & Mariel

I wonder why these characters weren't put in as full party members. Was it because of lack of time/effort to code in their character growth scenes and such, or because he really did decide that adding them would be a bad idea for whatever reason.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

GrizzlyCow posted:

This is the area you hate, right?
Nah, the forest is chill. I hate the area after that. I've been drumming it up hard until now, but believe me, when you see the loving minigame you'll understand :argh:

Mehuyael posted:

I wonder why these characters weren't put in as full party members. Was it because of lack of time/effort to code in their character growth scenes and such, or because he really did decide that adding them would be a bad idea for whatever reason.
I'd say it's because of the additional effort. Aside from having to bind them into all the scenes after they get available, each one of them also would need an ending. And the available endings are rather beefy already. So really, I can understand that Flare didn't feel like doing all that on top of what he already did. It's just weird that he didn't space out their appearance a bit, or made an actual dungeon for each of them or something. I mean, the animations and designs are there, but they don't get used a whole lot.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Oh yes, they know each other very well. You better strap in, because Fina will crank up the rage in a second. But first I want to point out that the scene in the cave probably is much different when you bring Fina, and that should then also influence this scene. I never checked it, but by knowing how the rest of this plays out, I really can make no other assumption. Anyway, on with the program...

The inn scene is actually near-identical, it just skips ahead to "introduce her to us" because you already know Fina knows her. But yeah, the cave scene is pretty much rewritten. Aside from Fina recognising Romellia, the slime also recognises Fina and has the whole conversation with her instead of Ryle.

Also there's something in the cave that's much more visible in the Japanese version (no, I don't know what's wrong with my font)

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I've had that font issue before. IIRC, it's a reading of the RTP system of the wrong font, and you need to download the correct font to fix it?

:science:

Mimi Festa. "Hero of the Dragonic War". If by hero you mean sing and dance and raise people's morale. Oh, and I guess fight stuff. She was so utterly forgettable that I nearly forgot she was there, even in passing.

Think one of the Macross F singer girls, but could fight...sorta. She didn't fight much because the people treated her like an idol despite her protests and didn't want her to get hurt.

Edit:

quote:

So really, I can understand that Flare didn't feel like doing all that on top of what he already did. It's just weird that he didn't space out their appearance a bit, or made an actual dungeon for each of them or something. I mean, the animations and designs are there, but they don't get used a whole lot.

Honest-to-goodness, I swear I thought Flare was female.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

thenightsshadow posted:

Think one of the Macross F singer girls, but could fight...sorta. She didn't fight much because the people treated her like an idol despite her protests and didn't want her to get hurt.

Bards in this universe are weird.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

re Font: RM2k(3) does something dumb with the default Windows fonts. Downloading these fonts and installing it in your Windows/Fonts directory fixes it because ???.

I'll throw my lot in with Latyss, Orubia, and Hayami just to spread out the burnfists and shootguns :v:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

GreatRedSpirit posted:

re Font: RM2k(3) does something dumb with the default Windows fonts. Downloading these fonts and installing it in your Windows/Fonts directory fixes it because ???.

Aha, thanks. Finally I can tell the difference between 6 and 8.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Polsy posted:

The inn scene is actually near-identical, it just skips ahead to "introduce her to us" because you already know Fina knows her. But yeah, the cave scene is pretty much rewritten. Aside from Fina recognising Romellia, the slime also recognises Fina and has the whole conversation with her instead of Ryle.

Also there's something in the cave that's much more visible in the Japanese version (no, I don't know what's wrong with my font)
Thanks! Had no idea about that sword. But then again, poison is meh, so I'm not going to replay the section for it.

thenightsshadow posted:

Mimi Festa. "Hero of the Dragonic War". If by hero you mean sing and dance and raise people's morale.
Super high school level heroic cheerleader :japan:

thenightsshadow posted:

Honest-to-goodness, I swear I thought Flare was female.
I honestly don't know, and just assume that Flare is a dude because of the subject matter. I could be wrong though?

Also

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Burnfist, Elfears, and Gunshoot
is the winner. And Hayami was just one vote away from having to face off with Burnfist and Gunshoot. It's kinda funny how her verbal tick has pretty much killed her chances to ever get voted outside of trapped dungeons. :v:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

And Hayami was just one vote away from having to face off with Burnfist and Gunshoot. It's kinda funny how her verbal tick has pretty much killed her chances to ever get voted outside of trapped dungeons. :v:

And it's a pity. I think she's a genuinely like-able character who is shown as fairly capable considering some of the other girls. I tend to push her tic into the same category as the broken engrish so it really doesn't bother me all tha tmuch.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You don't play a game like this for its likable and high-functioning characters.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And it's a pity. I think she's a genuinely like-able character who is shown as fairly capable considering some of the other girls. I tend to push her tic into the same category as the broken engrish so it really doesn't bother me all tha tmuch.
Yeah, I like Hayami too. She's basically the least retarded member, and can actually do things outside of the plot demanding it. And on top of that, she also has a super secret backstory :tinfoil:

But I actually don't want to change anyone's mind here. I'm cool with how the votes are going, and it was just an obversation.

ultrafilter posted:

You don't play a game like this for its likable and high-functioning characters.
:japan: erry day

I just recorded more footage, and will process it now. Maybe I'll even post something later, but that depends on if my pals want go out tonight.

Also, I have to make a confession.

See, I apparently have a dumb jerk brain with bad memory. As it turns out, the part that I hate isn't in the Rune Tri at all! Whoops. It's actually a tiny bit after it. Like, right after we're done with it. I guess my mind just connected the word "Tri" to the three minigames that I despise. So yeah, sorry! I'm going to edit my mistakes out of the previous updates, so that my shame will never be known when this Lp eventually gets archived. Only you will know, and we keep that as our little secret, ok? :ssh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My first LP thread will be titled, "Let's Play Shadow the Hedgehog: BTW Tin Tim misremembered where an annoying bit in a japanese RPGMaker game was this one time"

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That's too long for thread titles in this forum, so the joke's on you buddy. Also, snitches get stitches :ese:

Real talk: I just felt real dumb because I drummed it up so hard.

Also, writing updates helps me battle my hangover, so there'll be one in a few minutes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Purple Prick

It's a fine day for a trip through the forest, don't you think?

This area is pretty much another wiggly cave between point A and B, except that traps are back. I walk into a few of them, but it doesn't mean much with all the healing at my disposal. It's basically just a nuisance. Let's focus on the few points of interest that are on the way.

Can you spot where the chest is? Right next to Ryle

drat right I am!

Don't worry, it's just -50Hp for everyone and we'll get treasure :v:

"The accuracy is enhanced, so it's easier to hit the enemies' weak spot!"

This part doesn't affect her damage, but gives a higher crit chance. No idea how much, but I like crits and equip it anyway.

More walking ensues, but at least the area is pleasant to look at.

I can already smell the trap treasure.

"Are all chests here so obviously dangerous?"

Nah, that's the last of em.

This teaches Mariel a new attack skill! It's not bad, but the name definitely raises some wrong expectations.

It does decent damage and pretty much always blinds enemies. It also has a small chance to cause confusion too. If most of the random battles weren't a joke already, they'd sure be now.

The second screen of the forest is as wiggly as the first was, but actually has new enemies.

Oak Kings are kinda dicks. They are fairly resilient against most types of attacks and regain 50Hp at the start of every turn, but also suffer hard from fire. Aside from having a two-hit melee attack, they try to constrict you with their roots, and have a sonic attack that never worked on me. They are kind of a test to see if you're ready for this stage of the game. If they give you trouble, you better get more of those sweet Level Ups!

These guys also regen 50Hp each turn, and spam a low damage earth attack all the time. Not much to them, aside from looking really weird :shrug:

Near the end of the second screen, we find the inevitable save point.

"It's getting cloudy."

"Yeah, it's getting dark."

"Looks like it might rain soon."

"Let's get hurry."

"..."

"Fina, what is it?"

Oh no what a surprise :ohdear:

"You mean that Mahzok in dark armor!?"

"What are you talking about? I thought you girls already beat that guy."

"Actually mom was fighting him alone, and we couldn't even move. The Mahzoks also can warp back to their realm instantly, so it's possible that guy is still around."

Remember Graphost and his acid rain zone?

"Tsk! It's him again! And his special trap "Tempest"!.."

"Plants are corroding away!? Oh no!"

"Man, when will this jerk ever go away!?"

"What are we gonna do? Miss Fina, we're right back into the same situation!"

"Unless we get rid of that "Tempest" thing, we don't stand any chance!"

"drat!"

"Let me see what I can do!"

"Latyss?"

"Sylph! Gather all the winds you can!"

"!? You try to use React Wind?"

"Yes!"

"No use! We're inside of his own realm. Winds are not effective in here!"

"I'll add my life force and magic to enhance the power!"

Jfyi, if the translation is to be believed, Latyss means to kill herself here to save us :stare:

"Stop it Latyss! We can't fight without you!!"

"Fina..."

"Sessha thinks so too. From now on, we must gather our strengths into one! If we lose you here, then everything's over."

"But, there's no other..."

"(We're facing Mahzoks here! It's my turn to save everyone as true successor of Savior Flare!!)"

"Can't you at least do something about that rain? I can't reach him from here."

"Now we're sitting ducks!"

"I don't think my gadgets can make any openings in his realm~"

SO loving STOKED ABOUT HOLES BRO

"Fina! I got an idea!"

"Mm?"

"I want you to..*whisper*..Got it?"

"Waa!? Are you serious? It's TOO risky!"

"Just do it! Orubia can't hold much longer!"

"Fine! But I won't be responsible if things go bad alright?"

"Force Barrier-! Come and protect us!"

Fina makes another barrier inside of Orubia's. I wonder where this is going? :raise:

"That won't get you nowhere, this time you all gonna rot to death! MwaHahaha!"

Ryle's move makes our bubble rise into the air...

...a bunch of explosions happen...

...and everyone gently floats back down. Praise be to our lord and savior, Anime Plot!

"YES!! It worked!"

"Yeah, but why?"

Because :japan: That's all you gonna get.

"Dear Ryle~ Don't startle me like that again~ I...I was so scared~"

"I knew he would do something like that again."

"Just can't predict what else he would do next~"

"Ooh~ I see stars everywhere~"

"It...just feels like boarding on a ship~ Urp~"

"Now, it's our turn!"

"Oui!"

"Sylph, let's go!"

"I'm ready any time!"

"Magical Octagram engage!"

"Let's finish him for good this time!"

"You are SO dead~!! How dare you to attack me twice!?"

"You're over pal!"

"Let's get it on!"

YEAH :black101:

Ahahahaha, look at that guy! I mean he's as fabulous, as he is badly drawn :v:

"We must make as many shots as possible before he does "Tempest" again!"

"I can see why we Mahzoks been defeated by you humans despite of your puny powers."

But of course he won't tell us! I mean, we're humans and should already know, right?

"And you'll be the next loser! I guarantee it!!"

"I don't think he can make another "Tempest" that quickly...Let's finish him fast!"

"Still little bit of headaches, but I can fight, don't worry about me."

Graphost is a fairly hard boss, and can become really bad when your girls aren't experienced enough. All of his attacks do solid damage, and he'll whip out a really dirty trick after you've brought him to like 50% health. Your party combination also plays a bit of a role in his fight, but our party is decent enough. The perfect party would include Fina and Orubia, but we'll manage.

The first round in this fight actually counts as a surprise round for you, so you pretty much get a free turn. I use it to cast some buffs on me, and armor debuffs on him.

And Mariel also blinds him on the second turn. The status lasts for quite a while, and I always use it again when it wears off. This removes his normal sword attack, which is kinda important as you'll see in a moment.

His skills aren't affected by blindness though. And take into account that this landed on Caris, the member with the highest defense aside from Ryle. Latyss and Mariel don't take this strike well. :ohdear:

His other attack isn't as powerful, but can still be bad for your more fragile members. Graphost really liked to attack Caris though, and that definitely worked in my favor. I pretty much use everyone's best moves while also keeping my Hp up. This goes on for a bit, and then Graphost pulls out his trick...

Drastically sounds about right. Yeah :stare:

And this is the point where the fight can go completely down the drain. If you don't have enough healing powers, you'll lose a member on your next turn. And guess what? He'll probably cast it again while you have to resurrect, and traps you in a vicious cycle! Our Orubia is experienced enough to know a powerful group heal and would fix this real fast, but she isn't here. Our party can just barely stay on top this time. I basically only let Ryle attack after this move, while Caris casts her strongest heal on Latyss, Mariel throws out a weakish group heal, and Latyss uses her Aero Heal which is a decent group heal. Keeping Latyss alive is my top priority, because she has the strongest healing of the group. And Graphost often used his normal attack after the eye thingy, so that gave me some extra room because I kept him blind for the whole fight. Don't get me wrong, this fight isn't bullshit hard, but it can really kick you in the nuts. And with that said, Graphost is also kind of another test to see if you're strong enough for this part of the game.

He goes down eventually, and drops the Tri Emblem. It's a neat stat boosting accessory that I give to Ryle.

"Grrrrrrrr! How could I lose to these puny human kids~!! Arggggg!!"

Let's hope that he stays down for good this time!

"Whew~!"

"..."

"Fina, what's wrong?"

"Doesn't it bother you? The reason why that Mahzok kept following us even after Meldia."

"!?"

What is that you say? More plot-hooks for the ever growing pile? What joy!

"Why would he attack us first instead of Meldia?"

"Maybe he tried to stop us from finding the lost city?"

"In that case, they would not be attacking us now."

"I know, they would destroy the city before we can reach it."

"What is their true intent? For what would they invade Factoria, and even control the dragons..."

"Unlike Raymah who always use his puppets to attack us, Graphost is quite straight forward 1 on 1."

"That means the Mahzoks are divided into 2 separate forces."

"Two?"

"They sent 1 of them to occupy Factoria and another one for monitoring our moves."

"If that's true, there's no way for us to find out their true goals."

"I know~ We won't know which group the Mahzoks we fight belong to."

"Then let's keep going. They might expose their plan in the future attacks."

"We better continue our search."

"Ah...Rune Tri is right ahead of us."

Yes it is, but we still have to find the famous secret here. And it's really hard to find, because you get exactly zero clues that's it even there! Seriously, despite knowing about it, I still had to switch in Hayami and use her X-ray skill to find the drat thing.

Here it is. This generic tile in the area where we fought Graphost, hides a secret entrance. I really have no idea how you should find it, aside from spamming Hayami's X-ray 24/7 :shrug:

The healing circle down here is nice, because you don't have to dig into your own supplies after the Graphost fight. One of the chests holds 5000 gold, and another has this..

It's a decent helmet, but nothing special.

The real prize is in the middle chest, and you better prepare yourself for hilarity.

"What...is this?"

"It's..."

"No matter how I see it, it's definitely a "corset"~.."

"?? What exactly is a corset anyway?"

"It helps a woman's body line look more slender and beautiful by wearing it under the clothes."

:engleft:

"(Squeezing my waist with that, maybe my breasts look bigger?)"

"What kind of moron would put a corset in the middle of nowhere?"

"Maybe it has secrets hidden or this particular one is very rare?"

"Anyway why don't we just take it? Who knows we might get to use it?"

"But it's an underwear!"

Think about the cooties! :ohdear:

"Then we just give it to someone who might want it!"

"So that means it's useless to us?"

"Oh come on~who would wanna wear an old underwear like this? They can just buy one at stores!"

"I know."

"And too many junks will slow us down during combat."

"How about we let someone wear it while fighting?"

"Won't the corsets hinder hard and fast movements because they squeeze the waist so tight?"

Tempted to make a cheap joke based on my own real life experiences here :ssh:

"But it would be a waste just leaving it here~"

"Oh get real~!"

Based on how long this group usually argues - quite a while I'd guess.

"Hm? There's a little memo inside....Let me see...What??"

"This product is for users with bust size of 85 or above...And please use extra pads which are sold separately, in case the bust size is smaller than 85."

:siren:

The screen shakes really violently here, and the Gif was seizure inducing. Also, we're approaching peak Fina with critical speed.

"W-What...is it Fina?"

"You didn't have to shout that loud."

"Why they have to ask about the bust size for wearing corsets!! What's wrong with my bust size!?"

"......."

"......."

"......."

"......."

"......."

"Fina..."

"Ah..."

"Maybe you..."

"Wanted to try on? Corsets...."

"Eek! No, I was just upset about the way they discriminated people by the different breast sizes...and I was~..."

"(So you wanted to wear it huh?)"

"(But I didn't know she would want it so bad~, poor Fina)"

"...~ *sigh*"

SAME

"(Sessha's bigger than 85, so maybe worth a try...?)"

"By the way, does anybody know where the extra pads are sold?"

*Biff*

"That's enough! You be quiet!!"

"Ouch! That hurts~ Now she changed her target from Miss Romellia to me~"

"(Anyway, how much longer do I have to hold this thingy!?)"

"Not fair!! It's a conspiracy!!"

"Not again~ Once Dear Fina is out of control, nobody can stop her~"

:shibewow:

Aaaaanyway, this is the super secret All Corset. It has some pretty good effects and is an accessory, so you can still wear your armor on top of it. The bust requirement also isn't just a joke, because Fina and Orubia can't wear it. So yeah, now you know that the rest of the party is well endowed. Congratulations!

However, it also has some downsides for combat as Orubia guessed. I'm not going to equip it right now, because I don't see much point in it. The girls already have good gear, and really, Caris would be the only one that would get a real benefit from the 50%Mp cost.(Latyss still has her 50% ring, jfyi) Making her high damage skills more spammable would be neat, but the Warrior Emblem just makes her better at smashing overall, so I'll pass for now. Though, there definitely are some fights where the resist all thing is real good, so the Corset won't sit in the inventory forever.

Welp, that's it for this time. I'm not going to hold a vote before the Rune Tri, because I don't think that the party setup would change :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 1, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Tri Emblem

Huh, a Star Ocean reference?

The company that makes the SO games is called Tri-Ace :ssh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I got curious as to what exactly those measurements look like. If that's a bust size of 85 cm, it's roughly 33 inches. Per Wikipedia, Candice Swanepoel has a 33 inch bust. So not exceptionally large, but not small either.

Now I feel dirty and I'm going to go outside.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I was really hoping that the comments about "Why would you wear old underwear you found in battle, that's a stupid idea" meant it wasn't going to be equipment and he was making fun of the armour you see in stuff like Dragon Quest, but no, corset is still something you wear into battle. :sigh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well at least it has good stats, right? :v:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

: I had a normal life once.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Because :japan: That's all you gonna get.

How can a game love :words: so much, and still resist explaining poo poo like this?

:laffo:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man I looked back to the first update after seeing that and drat this game got overly dramatic fast.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It's 'Tri-Movement' in this game in Japanese so definitely added as a reference here. As a side note it shows up in a number of Tri-Ace games but yeah, that'd be the most well-known.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Graphost had black armor in his chat portrait, fuchsia with black trim on the overland sprite, and fabulous magenta plate on the battle sprite. Just a little inconsistent.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ulvirich posted:

Graphost had black armor in his chat portrait, fuchsia with black trim on the overland sprite, and fabulous magenta plate on the battle sprite. Just a little inconsistent.

Clearly, Graphost has mood armor.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

vilkacis posted:

How can a game love :words: so much, and still resist explaining poo poo like this?

Absolutely. They'll try and explain why the big bad demon who had a seemingly insurmountable advantage decided to take some initiative finish off the heroes but not even a token :techno: attempt at how they removed the advantage at all? How unsatisfying.

Now watch four updates from now they'll use the same magic trick against the next evil demon antagonist and just as magically not work then and we'll get an explanation there because this game's narrative is just that bad

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
This is how I had to explain the whole Warp thing.

Force Barrier and Dispell Traps are more or less two spells with a similar effect. Force Barrier is more battle-oriented while Dispell Traps is more passive, but both are energy barriers. When Ryle uses Warp, he has to displace a bunch of energy (aka the party) and transfer it elsewhere. Since Graphost's "Tempest" is an atmospheric change, using Warp makes a lot of energy move at a very fast speed, and energy vs. energy (Tempest) causes the explosion.

I went in-depth before but that's the major gist of my explanation and the only way it makes sense to me right now.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I got curious as to what exactly those measurements look like. If that's a bust size of 85 cm, it's roughly 33 inches. Per Wikipedia, Candice Swanepoel has a 33 inch bust. So not exceptionally large, but not small either.

I respect your dedication to boob science! :v:

lmao

If I could actually draw, I'd make a picture with the girls having a slapfight in the background, while Ryle frowns and says something along the lines of "I should have taken that boat maker job" :qq:

BlitzBlast posted:

Man I looked back to the first update after seeing that and drat this game got overly dramatic fast.
Slope goes up, slope goes :japan:

Ulvirich posted:

At least the portrait was added by me, and I couldn't find a fitting purple knight. But yeah, there is a bit of a discrepancy between his sprites :)

thenightsshadow posted:

This is how I had to explain the whole Warp thing.

Force Barrier and Dispell Traps are more or less two spells with a similar effect. Force Barrier is more battle-oriented while Dispell Traps is more passive, but both are energy barriers. When Ryle uses Warp, he has to displace a bunch of energy (aka the party) and transfer it elsewhere. Since Graphost's "Tempest" is an atmospheric change, using Warp makes a lot of energy move at a very fast speed, and energy vs. energy (Tempest) causes the explosion.

I went in-depth before but that's the major gist of my explanation and the only way it makes sense to me right now.
drat, that actually does make some sense. But as others have said, it's really weird that it just gets swept under the rug, while other Macguffins get some shaky explanations. I've said this before, but major battles in this game just embody the spirit of children that play make-believe. One comes up with a death laser, and the other comes up with anti death laser armor +1. Then it just spirals onward, until one of them runs out of ideas. That can be funny in a way, and doesn't always have to make perfect sense, but it becomes real annoying when you get nothing else besides that.

Also
Thisgame.jpg

chaos rhames posted:

It's dumb Anime bullshitTm

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

ultrafilter posted:

Breast size is a function of both frame size (the circumference of the area directly below or above the breasts) and bust size (measured across the fullest part of the breasts). The difference determines the letter in a bra's size. So what an 85 cm bust size translates to depends on the woman; for Candice Swanepoel, she wears a 32B, which means her frame is 32 inches (~81 cm), and her bust is 33 inches (84 cm in this case). A smaller frame would translate to larger breasts, and a larger frame would translate to smaller breasts. With just the bust size alone, you don't really know how large the breasts are. So an 85 cm bust translates to a 32B, a 30D, or a 28F (there are no odds in bra sizes for some reason, but such a bust could obviously translate to the equivalent of an A, C or E if there were).

(Hopefully I got this all correct, I checked and double-checked my info.)

There's no real reason to feel dirty about this: it's just information regarding the particular ways to measure parts of a woman's body used in fashion, after all. Most women (hopefully) know this. It's kind of weird to not know it, when you think about it. Like there's this real, substantial part of half the population's lives, who you interact with on a daily basis, and you know nothing at all about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That was a little bit of a joke, motivated by the fact that I looked up the information in response to this game, and also because I found what I was looking for on a site that lets you sort female celebrities by bust size to see who they're dating.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

:ughh:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

That was a little bit of a joke, motivated by the fact that I looked up the information in response to this game, and also because I found what I was looking for on a site that lets you sort female celebrities by bust size to see who they're dating.

Sometimes it is important to know when you're giving too much information.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So for a party caster, is that decrease in attack power and agility really that much of a downside?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Glazius posted:

So for a party caster, is that decrease in attack power and agility really that much of a downside?
Nah, not really. But the only pure casters are Latyss and Orubia. Orubia can't wear it, and Latyss still has her 50%Mp cost ring. And the other girls just benefit more from the accessoires they're wearig right now. The corset really is situational, and mostly useful for a few bossfights.

Also, update in a bit :toot:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Almost ironically, Fina would probably benefit most from her corset, since some of her more powerful ~*Mary Sue*~ spells have a quite high MP cost, as well as being very effective on bosses.

Speaking of which, Fina is ridiculously useful for boss battles, since almost all of the Mahzoks are weak to her special abilities. I seem to remember those loving yetis in the cave being vulnerable to her spells too. From personal recollection, she had a lot of dialogue and exposition in that scene, making it feel like Flare "expected" you to take her in there.

It's a shame, really, that for being one of the most consistantly useful allies, with some of the best all round skills and equipment, Fina is pretty much insufferably irritating compared to the other girls.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

A Glimpse Of The Old World

Time to see what's up with the Rune Tri!

The first thing you'll notice is that shiny bow up there. We'll check it out later though, and move ahead into the cave first.

Whoops, it's not a cave at all! :)

This room has a kind of strange look to it, doesn't it? I mean there is some weird contraption in the upper left...

"Looks like I can buy Potions from this machine."

This is well and good, but you'd imagine that our characters would at least show the slightest bit of amazement after seeing a loving COMPUTER in their magical fantasy world! I know the that Old Gaiares stuff should be part of the known history, but come on.

Haha, only suckers pay for things.

:ninja:

"Hoh? Try to challenge moi?"

"&%*()_*&!!"

"Not bad, still want to fight?"

"Then take this!"

Just Caris being Caris :flame:

"&*7()&*& System...malfunc8$)n...!"

"Oh well, guess that's it!"

"But I do feel bad about stealing Potions....~"

Surprisingly, Caris' Hidden Crash skill works here and saves you the trouble of fighting the machine. But in a different universe...

He may look funny, but he's a real jerk. This guy regains a 100Hp at the start of each round, and will just straight up resist a bunch of your attacks. He's pretty hard to be honest! You don't get anything for beating him though, so let's go back to our Universe.

"It's written in old elven language. Let me read them to you."

"Not sure what exactly it's talking about, but they sound like clues."

Maybe? Well, that sentence is at least not a clue about what we have to do in this area. There are actually several inscriptions in the Rune Tri, but I honestly can't recall if they ever turn out to have any real meaning. Only one inscription will help us continue, so the rest may as well be only there for flavor. But please tell me if I'm wrong here!

Both sides of the map are mirrored, and have an inscription to find. We want the one on the right path, but let's still go clockwise here.

There are a couple of pits around, and they're basically just an annoyance. You can't fall into them, and have to sit through the animation and a few lines each darn time :argh:

Of course, there are also randoms here.

Just a weak melee guy that we may have seen before?

We definitely saw them before, and they haven't gotten any stronger.

Oh hey, that looks interesting :eyepop:

"Maybe Meldia sealed this place?"

"No, if they did His Majesty would have told us how to unlock this."

"By any rate, we can't just stay here and do nothing. I think I can climb over this and unlock it from inside."

"W-Wait! Dear Ryle don't!!"

"Mm?" *Turned around too fast and tripped by his own foot*

Nobody saw that coming, right?

"Hugyaaaaah!!!"

At least there is a nice animation with the good old shocked skeleton. The screen was also shaking though, so it was another seizure Gif.

"Hold on for a sec! Was that a thunder bolt!?"

"Enemies!?"

"No, it's some kind of security system; to shock away intruders."

"Ryle Dono! Please wake up!!"

"Next time try to think first before you move~ It looks like a fence but it's not."

"W..H..A...T....IS..TH..IS?"

"It's called Field Shell. A spell to protect chests or gates."

"N..E..XT..TI..ME...TEL..L...ME..FIR..S..!"

"But you moved too soon...~"

"We need the incantation to undo the spell, and I think it's hidden somewhere around here."

"YOU...ARE....RIGHT..."

"Be careful next time~"

Of course the parts to break the shield are around here. Because that makes sense and is totally not a lame excuse for a puzzle :v:

This is the one inscription that is actually telling us what to do here. But before we get to that, let's quickly check out that shiny bow from the beginning.

"New power shall be granted to the one who is worthy to Elementals."

Should be obvious that this is a thing for Latyss, right? But we can't do anything with it right now, so we'll just have to come back later.

Anyway, on to solving the great and complex puzzle here.

All of the pillars have an inscription, but as I said earlier, I honestly can't remember if they ever make sense. It's pretty much just basic fantasy writing like: "Heaven's sword comes fourth with a loud roar..to punish those in its path." I tried putting the different sentences in some orders, to see if they could form a coherent text, but I don't think so. I mean, maybe they secretly tell the story of how Gaiares got hosed? But that is a really big "maybe" :shrug:

Okay, remember what that earlier inscription said about four points crossing?

Yeah, you just have to press your Use key where the four pillars cross. Do it for all three points, and you're done! :eng99:

"How about we chant together?"

"But that would result in incorrect sound, and who knows what other traps might get turned on?!"

"Then let Orubia or Latyss chant the spell. Oh, don't forget Hayami!"

"(But sessha is only good at those Shinobi symbols, not the spells...)"

I didn't feel like backtracking to the save point before doing this, so I don't know what each of the choices does. I assume at least one leads to wackiness? I went with Latyss, because she seemed like the best for the job.

That's was surprisingly underwhelming :confused:

"Alright! Latyss you were perfect!"

"Used to chant spells longer than this, not a big deal."

"I would have fallen into sleep in the middle of chanting!"

"Don't tell me sometimes you fall into sleep during the warp!"

"What do you mean!? Of course I have to be awake!"

"(They need me as much as I need them...maybe more...)"

:3:

Att 30 >>> 32

"There should be a warp device inside."

"I can sense a large magic is gathered inside."

"Yes it's enough to use many times."

"Let's proceed. No one should've been here according to our intelligence."

"...Hayami, can't you use the usual accent?"

"Eh? Oh...I, sessha will try."

Okay, I have to interject here. Either this part got lost in translation, or only makes sense if you let Hayami chant the incantation. Maybe she has to ditch her sessha thing for the chant? Unfortunately, I saved right after this conversation, and can't check. Yes I have multiple files, but saved over the first three, and the other files are roughly where we entered Meldia for the first time. Sorry, but I really don't want to replay a bunch of the last updates.

However, I bring this up to specifically point out that Hayami can speak without the sessha thing. And it actually ties into her :tinfoil: angle, regardless of whatever is behind this one part.

"Oh well, let's just get going!"

Ooh, this place looks shiny!

Scratch that :stare:

"These are!?"

"Mm!!"

"Kyaaah!"

"Yikes! So many skeletons~"

"So many people died here~"

"What happened here?"

"We are standing at the ruins of Old Gaiares."

"So that means before the floating city of the Empire?"

"But how come so many dead..."

"These are just part of old conflicts when the kingdom fell."

"War...between the same humans..."

"Anyway let's get outta here~"

"Me too~ Something might pop out any moment..."

"Ok, let's search the surroundings outside."

"Fina, can you walk by yourself?"

I love it when Caris randomly owns her friends :allears:

"*cough* Much of the dust here comes from corroded skulls and bones :("

"Definitely. We better not stay here for too long, might get sick."

"Ok, let's get out of here! But it's kind of chilly."

Nah, let's hang out with the corpses. Because you'll miss something very important if you just leave!

There are skeletons around here, but we already met them a good while ago. They haven't become any stronger, and pretty much die instantly.

And here's the important thing.

No, really.

:toot:

This is a pretty great sword! It makes Caris even stronger than she already is, but it also has a hidden use that we'll discover at the end of this update. Also, the name Kah Mana is a callback to the first real dungeon we did in the game.

Yes, even here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBlAMONhY0

"Hah- *sigh* I just feel so sad for those poor souls...drat FLARE~"

This is another thing that could have been lost in translation, because I have no idea if it refers to the character or the creator :shrug:

"Hmm...maybe I can use it for my boat."

Sure? I mean, we haven't seen our boat in a while, and have never heard of the NG viewer, but don't let that stop you, game!

Surprise! We already saw wood and desert land, and now it's time for snow.

These guys are just a recolor, and there is nothing special about them.

The area is enclosed by mountains, and we only can investigate two places. Let's start with the icicle at the end of the path.

Is anyone still surprised by sudden obstacles in our path?

"I'm so COLD!"

"Oh come on. You wear the heaviest clothings here."

"But cold is cold, I can't help it~"

"Quit whining, there's no blizzard."

"My glasses are all foggy! Can't see anything~"

"Compared to the weather at Cellen, it's very chilly up here~"

"We gotta do something about this thick layer of ice!"

"Yeah, and the warp device is beyond this wall."

"Let me melt this baby!"

Caris throws three heat spells at it, each one more powerful than the last, but the wall doesn't care. :colbert:

"It..it can't be! Not even a scratch..."

"Even Caris' fire spells are totally ineffective...! What else can we do?"

"How about climbing over it?"

"You said that back in Mount. Meldia!"

"Watch yourself. Do not get too close to that ice. It can freeze you in seconds~"

"I know. Since we can't melt this, all we can do is either move the whole thing or..."

"Or find the other way around. Other routes to enter the caves."

"But this is the only path. The place is totally isolated by the surrounding mountains~"

"Oh-uh! Lenses got foggy again~"

"What can we do about the ice then? Besides fire, I can't think of anything else!"

"How about we go back'n ask Lady Flare? She might have good ideas."

"...Yeah. Fortunately, I can warp back here."

"Oh-uh! Now lenses are frozen~"

"How about some warm soup to fight the cold?"

"Let's talk about the meals later."

"But Sis Latyss~ :("

"Yeah, let's go back to Fina's home!"

Yeah, we' re going to ask Flare for help next time, and of course, that involves some talking. And on top of that, the part that I hate is also coming up. So yeah, good times all around! :argh:

Let's finish this update with a cool secret.

Remember when I picked up that hidden sword in the Lighthouse? Back then, I said that it's the key to a dungeon, but I was wrong again. It's still one of the keys for this secret though!

Sure.

:woop:

It's pretty much a stronger version of Caris' Ray Cluster.

More flashing means more better :eng101:

But the most important part about this secret, is this...

:laffo:

This is her ultimate upgrade, I believe. "Caris Burnfist, the Paladin Melty." Haha, this loving game.

Her new sword is also really great, and I don't think that there is a better weapon for her left in the game. As said before, the Ancient attribute is meant for the endgame. On another note, we also keep the other two swords to clutter the inventory even more! :argh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 10, 2014

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

...Paladin Melty? What? You serious?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

Almost ironically, Fina would probably benefit most from her corset, since some of her more powerful ~*Mary Sue*~ spells have a quite high MP cost, as well as being very effective on bosses.

Speaking of which, Fina is ridiculously useful for boss battles, since almost all of the Mahzoks are weak to her special abilities. I seem to remember those loving yetis in the cave being vulnerable to her spells too. From personal recollection, she had a lot of dialogue and exposition in that scene, making it feel like Flare "expected" you to take her in there.

It's a shame, really, that for being one of the most consistantly useful allies, with some of the best all round skills and equipment, Fina is pretty much insufferably irritating compared to the other girls.
That's true! Fina is great asset in pretty much every bossfight, and even more so when you fight plot villians. Aside from her good attacks, she also has excellent support skills. I too believe that the creator expected you to use her more frequently. I mean a good part of the story is connected to her, and she becomes mandatory for the endgame. But her character is pretty much terrible when she's not the clever battle savant. I actually don't know if she's likeable in her romance scenes, because I never had the will to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Paladin Melty Caris Burnfist.

I love this game.

• Locked thread