Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:psyduck:

So the plot of Resident Evil is hot nonsense through and through then.

So who is the "canon" PC across the first three games then? I started with Jill and Chris apparently died outside, so restarted with Chris, which killed off Barry. That seemed to be the right path, so I've been going ahead with Chris. Seems I should have started with Jill? Also holy poo poo, these zombies take 7 goddamn bullets to put down, and I only have 15 tops. Should I have started on Hiking? Playing the REMake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can't actually get the canon endings in both 1 and 2. The canon endings are these fusions of both character paths that don't actually occur in the game. (i.e. Rebecca and Barry both survive in canon but only one can be saved in-game; Claire A Leon B is the canon path, but Ada's canon "death" is from Leon A.) As stated before RE's plot is a hot mess so don't stress it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Each game retcons the story in some way. It's tradition.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The canon PC of the games is whichever combinations SD Perry wrote about in her novelizations of the resident evil games that I read when I was then.

They are surprisingly good. Shutup I was ten.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The canon PC of the games is whichever combinations SD Perry wrote about in her novelizations of the resident evil games that I read when I was then.

They are surprisingly good. Shutup I was ten.

Re-read Caliban Cove and say that again with a straight face.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Which SD Perry book was the one with the T-virus mutated T-Rex bones that turned into a zombie dinosaur again? "Underworld"?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Erwin the German posted:

Re-read Caliban Cove and say that again with a straight face.

Oh no that one that one sucked, I even knew that when I was a kid. Only the novelization ones based off games were good.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

you can tell its good just by lookin at that!

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So who is the "canon" PC across the first three games then? I started with Jill and Chris apparently died outside, so restarted with Chris, which killed off Barry. That seemed to be the right path, so I've been going ahead with Chris. Seems I should have started with Jill? Also holy poo poo, these zombies take 7 goddamn bullets to put down, and I only have 15 tops. Should I have started on Hiking? Playing the REMake.

The player character that's not in your control can be saved from a prison cell near the end of the game, so there's that. Barry is mentioned once in RE2 and has a small cameo in RE3 but other than that, he never appears in any of the later games (At least in story mode.) Rebecca is mentioned in one of the files in RE2 as one of the remaining STARS members but that's about it for her. As has been said, Barry doesn't appear outside of Jill's scenario and Rebecca doesn't outside of Chris's in the first game so don't worry about canonity. I'd go with Jill first, she has two more inventory slots which means less backtracking if you don't know what you're doing yet and I find her story slightly more engaging, Barry is a better character than Rebecca etc.

It's been years since I've played the remake but in the original you can find two magazines if you examine Kenneth's corpse multiple times. Note that you shouldn't really fight every enemy, especially a lot of the regular zombies can easily be avoided.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 2, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I guess I care less about canon, and more the characters, if that makes sense. Jill spends most of 3 with the focus on her, and then becomes a side character with 5/Revelations. Chris is apparently loathed by Wesker for the events of 1, and becomes the main character of 5/6. Leon comes back again in 4/6, while Claire decides to go home and be a family woman. I don't know how much the paths actually change, but from the position of where the story has gone, it seems like Chris/Leon fit better in the first two, as otherwise Leon will appear out of nowhere, and Chris will be a nobody until 5.

Unless the end of their paths end up being something really stupid, like Leon kills the President or something.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All the problems with the RE storyline seems to the lead back to the fact that they never expected the original game to be popular enough to warrant a sequel, let alone spawn an entire franchise, and never really laid the ground work to accommodate that fact.

Personally, I was all over the plot with the first two games back in the day, and I always felt that they were building up to something big with Umbrella. But as more sequels came out it became clear that there was never going to be an "end game" for Umbrella. This was confirmed with RE 5 when Spencer, who was hinted as being this grand mastermind since the first game, was revealed to be just some old man who had like two lines of dialog before being kill off in a flashback cut scene.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rookersh posted:

The zombies in any US version game might be harder than the JP version.
Are you joking about the President thing?

Ada is supposed to be dead from RE2 where she fell into a pit got a concussion by being slammed into some terminal.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Len posted:

This pretty much means that Umbrella made not one, or two but THREE underground bases that are basically all within a 5 minute walk of each other despite the RPD being in what I always felt was downtown Racoon City.

It is in downtown Raccoon City. The thing that people forget about this is the tram ride in RE2, which takes Leon and Claire from the sewers underneath the RPD to the middle of nowhere in the Raccoon Forest. That tram ride apparently accounts for a couple of hours in the game's timeline.

You end up with the Spencer mansion laboratory; the old Umbrella training facility; and Birkin's lab, all of which are built on an old cavern network underneath the Raccoon Forest and were linked at one point by various tunnels.

Rookersh posted:

They've always deliberately stayed away from saying which of the scenarios in the first game is canon, and the closest may actually be the Umbrella Chronicles version at this point.

The canon version of RE2 is Claire A/Leon B, since Sherry's infection and subsequent "cure" is a big part of RE6 and Ada's "death" is shown as the Tyrant chokeslam version in her Umbrella Chronicles level.

The canon ending of RE3 is the one where Nicholai escapes via helicopter after taunting Jill at the junkyard control room, since it's the only version in which he survives, and he wrote a couple of files in RE: Survivor that are dated a couple of weeks after RE3.

Vakal posted:

All the problems with the RE storyline seems to the lead back to the fact that they never expected the original game to be popular enough to warrant a sequel, let alone spawn an entire franchise, and never really laid the ground work to accommodate that fact.

Yeah, plus Shinji Mikami gives exactly zero fucks about Western-style plot consistency. When Shadows of the Damned is the most coherent narrative on a designer's CV, you know something special's gone and happened.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Policenaut posted:

Which SD Perry book was the one with the T-virus mutated T-Rex bones that turned into a zombie dinosaur again? "Underworld"?

And then Capcom made that a boss battle.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

SirDrone posted:

And then Capcom made that a boss battle.

Which would have been awesome, except by that point you're already really sick of seeing him show up yet again as a boss fight.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm not sure if it would work well, but i'd really like to see the first 3 resident evils remade with the Dead Rising engine or something.

I guess the complexity would be in making it difficult. One zombie in DR is pretty easy to take care of and there aren't many situations in the first 2 games where you have to deal with maybe more than one or two at a time. They could just increase the monster count though.

The concepts are kind of similar enough to work (you're trapped in a [location] until you work your way out whilst dealing with a hoard of monsters) so I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to make something enjoyable.

I can't remember how big the scale of each of the earlier games were (RE1 must be relatively small compared to most modern games now no?) but imagine if capcom managed to stitch together all 3 games in the DR engine so you have Raccoon city to run around in as well as the Police Station and the Mansion/Lab.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I guess I care less about canon, and more the characters, if that makes sense. Jill spends most of 3 with the focus on her, and then becomes a side character with 5/Revelations. Chris is apparently loathed by Wesker for the events of 1, and becomes the main character of 5/6. Leon comes back again in 4/6, while Claire decides to go home and be a family woman. I don't know how much the paths actually change, but from the position of where the story has gone, it seems like Chris/Leon fit better in the first two, as otherwise Leon will appear out of nowhere, and Chris will be a nobody until 5.

Unless the end of their paths end up being something really stupid, like Leon kills the President or something.

You're getting to play as Leon either way, at the beginning of the game Claire and Leon get seperated through a car crash, you play through the game as one character after which you unlook scenario B where you play through the events of the other character. Which character you start with affects on which side of the crash he ends up, changing the events a little bit. But unlike RE1, where the two playthroughs can't coexist, RE2 requires playing the game as both characters for a full story playthrough and to get the real ending.

As has been said, For the most part the later games flock towards the Claire A/Leon B events.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

John Luebke posted:

You're getting to play as Leon either way, at the beginning of the game Claire and Leon get seperated through a car crash, you play through the game as one character after which you unlook scenario B where you play through the events of the other character. Which character you start with affects on which side of the crash he ends up, changing the events a little bit. But unlike RE1, where the two playthroughs can't coexist, RE2 requires playing the game as both characters for a full story playthrough and to get the real ending.

Can I just say that was one of my favorite gimmicks? More games should have multiple playthroughs where the order you play the protagonists changes what you go up against and how the story plays out. Like if playing Leon before playing Jake actually meaningfully impacted how their shared chapters played out or something. Course it works better with a narrative like RE2 or RE4, I imagine, but it's still probably my favorite part of RE2 and I'd like to see more like it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

John Luebke posted:

As has been said, For the most part the later games flock towards the Claire A/Leon B events.

Ah cool that makes sense. I was assuming picking Claire would have me get her path throughout the entire game, and if I wanted to see Leon's story I'd have to start from the beginning again ( with the a/b paths being choices you make during the game, not which sequence they do. ). Having it set to "1st person goes halfway, other person finishes rest of game." makes a bit more sense.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Ah cool that makes sense. I was assuming picking Claire would have me get her path throughout the entire game, and if I wanted to see Leon's story I'd have to start from the beginning again ( with the a/b paths being choices you make during the game, not which sequence they do. ). Having it set to "1st person goes halfway, other person finishes rest of game." makes a bit more sense.

You DO actually start from the beginning once you've reached Scenario B. You take control of the other character on the other side, right after the car crash and play through his side of the story. Only this time they're part of the same continuity, scenes where Leon and Claire met in Scenario A happen in Scenario B as well, some things you do in Scenario A, affect events for the other character in Scenario B. At the end of Scenario A both characters meet up again and make their escape and when you reach that part in Scenario B it goes a bit further.

Basically the game has four different playthroughs (Leon A and B and Claire A and B) and two different continuities. (Leon A/Claire B and the canon one, Claire A/Leon B)

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 2, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

John Luebke posted:

You DO actually start from the beginning once you've reached Scenario B. You take control of the other character on the other side, right after the car crash and play through his side of the story. Only this time they're part of the same continuity, scenes where Leon and Claire met in Scenario A happen in Scenario B as well, some things you do in Scenario A, affect events for the other character in Scenario B. At the end of Scenario A both characters meet up again and make their escape and when you reach that part in Scenario B it goes a bit further.

Basically the game has four different playthroughs (Leon A and B and Claire A and B) and two different continuities. (Leon A/Claire B and the canon one, Claire A/Leon B)

Does Scenario B also have different zones unique to that scenario outside the ending? Or is it 1:1 Scenario A until the ending? Either way I'll do it because I want the ending, just curious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Rookersh posted:

Does Scenario B also have different zones unique to that scenario outside the ending? Or is it 1:1 Scenario A until the ending? Either way I'll do it because I want the ending, just curious.

Yes, while there are plenty of areas that you will go through the same as the other character, you also get some unique areas as well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Yes, while there are plenty of areas that you will go through the same as the other character, you also get some unique areas as well.

Sounds good to me then.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Yes, though not all of the area's are strictly seperated by scenario, some of them depend on the character you're playing, regardless of whether it's the character's A or B scenario. The same goes for some of the NPC's.

(the gun shop owner for example appears in both character's A scenarios, while Chief Irons only appears in both Claire scenarios.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 2, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Does anybody have like a compiled list of what exact unique melee animations there are in RE6?

Every time I go on a .gif posting bananza of melee attacks I always end up finding out about new counters, like Jake's DDT on the Grasshopper enemy's back attacks:

(click for gifs they are huge because I don't know how to make them well)

Or the unique stun attack on the chainsaw enemy he's got where he just rips out a piece of it and jams it into 'em:

Or the counter against the stretchy-arm guys' attack:

Hell, Chris has a unique counter vs. the crab-arm guys that only works on their upwards swing or if they're going berserk:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fereydun posted:

Does anybody have like a compiled list of what exact unique melee animations there are in RE6?

My LP is basically that.

I have never looked up a list but I can tell you off the top of my head. I'm going down the list of enemies here.

J'avo w/ Knife - Leg sweep them when they charge at you.
J'avo w/ Machete - Stab them with their own sword
J'avo w/ MP7 - Elbow them in the face

Glava-Begunac - Elbow it in the face, instant kill.
Glava-Smech - If it falls down on its "face" on flat enough ground, you can rip its mandible off. When it charges at you, you can leg sweep it to force this, but without "cheating" it you won't be able to do it 'cuz it's weird.
Glava-Sluz - Break its neck when it tries to spit poo poo on you.
Glava-Dim - Nothing to counter.

Telo-Magla - Nothing to counter.
Telo-Krljust - Same as J'avo w/ MP7.
Telo-Eksplozija - Nothing to counter, but you can pull it off ledges/drop down on it from a higher ledge to kill it without it exploding. More a bug than anything else.

Ruka-Srp - Tear the claw off and smash his face in with it. Works the same way if J'avo turns into Begunac.
Ruka-Bedem - Nothing to counter, but if you just kick them in the face you can use a finisher on them.
Ruka-Hvatanje - Twist their arm around and throw them down. Ultra buggy and does very little damage, but can kill them given low enough HP.

Noga-Let - When they try to grab you to break your neck, you can counter that and pull them down. Does modest damage. Also if they're on flat enough ground, you rip their wings off and it's :black101: as hell
Noga-Trcanje - When they jump at you, you can flip them over and step on them. If they're on a low enough ceiling you can suplex them when they try to push you back.
Noga-Oklop - Nothing unique to counter, but if they try to kick you, you can leg sweep them. Which ironically enough CAN kill them!
Noga-Skakanje - When they try to kick you with their back left leg you can twist them around like a crocodile. Does heavy damage.

Napad - When they charge at you, you can try to counter them but if you're lagging it won't work. The knee attack breaks their frontal armor and does small damage. Can still kill them!
Strelac - Nothing to counter, but you can stun them and start bashing their face in.
Mesec - Nothing to counter/Nothing unique.
Gnezdo - Nothing to counter. Not even slapping them to the ground and crushing them under your boot :(

Ogroman - Nothing to counter, but you can rip its spike out of course.
Ustanak - Nothing unique outside of the final Jake sequence.
Iluzija - Nothing unique unless he grabs you, where you kick him in the face.
Ubistvo - Nothing to counter/nothing unique.

Zombie - The two different weapon counters and the leaping counter where you smash their heads in. You can stick dynamite in their mouths, and if you find a zombie with grenades on his chest (Extremely rare! I only did this on PC No Mercy!) you can pull a grenade pin and stick that in their mouth too!
Dog - When they leap at you, you can do the leaping counter same with zombies. Very hard though.
Shrieker - I think you CAN counter them normally when they swing their arm at you, but nothing unique really.
Bloodshot - When they leap at you, just flip them over and stomp their heart in.
Whopper - When the small ones swing their arms at you, you can leg sweep them.
Lepotitsa - When it tries to grab you, you can counter it normally, nothing unique.
Brzak - Nothing unique.
Rasklapanje - Nothing unique outside of the hand stuff, but if you counter their grab, you just do a generic kick/shoulder tackle. Does nothing.

e. Oops, I almost forgot about those two special zombie ones!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 2, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lunethex posted:

My LP is basically that.

I have never looked up a list but I can tell you off the top of my head. I'm going down the list of enemies here.

The Ruka-Bedem (shield guys) actually have a counter to 'em where you do a jumping kick on them! It's absolutely absurd.

Thanks for the list though. That whole list is everything I've encountered so I guess I've finally seen everything there is, melee-wise.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fereydun posted:

The Ruka-Bedem (shield guys) actually have a counter to 'em where you do a jumping kick on them! It's absolutely absurd.

Thanks for the list though. That whole list is everything I've encountered so I guess I've finally seen everything there is, melee-wise.

:wtf:

I've never seen a prompt when they do that and I just kick them for Haymakers/Judo kicks.

e. You're loving awesome, thanks for showing me that. I think, now, finally, everything has been seen & documented about this game.
e2. This kick doesn't seem to do a whole lot of damage, even with melee 3 on. Took me 3 to kill two J'avo. Also I like how it makes the sound as if their head exploded.
e3.

Playing No Mercy is too fun. Message me in the Goonterrorism steam group if you want to play. I'm Lunethex_ if you want to add.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 2, 2014

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x711B_0pLjM&t=188s

Randomly looked up something and I almost went my whole life without knowing any of the resident evil endings had dialog. Holy poo poo that would have been a shame to miss.
Jill and Barry have great dialog too in the one right after that Chris/Rebecca ending.

At least the optimal ending gives you this in the directors cut to make up for the lack of awesome dialog.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Kinda strange seeing Chris/Leon/Jill get really terrified of a single zombie.

You know, since I've played 4/5/6/Rev where their attitude is basically "not this poo poo again, oh well *suplex*."

How long is REmake? How Long to Beat says the base game was 6 hours, but REmake is apparently 12+? Can't imagine that much content was added, and this mansion doesn't seem that big. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, just the emblem/key hunting aspect is going to get old well before 12 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Kinda strange seeing Chris/Leon/Jill get really terrified of a single zombie.

You know, since I've played 4/5/6/Rev where their attitude is basically "not this poo poo again, oh well *suplex*."

How long is REmake? How Long to Beat says the base game was 6 hours, but REmake is apparently 12+? Can't imagine that much content was added, and this mansion doesn't seem that big. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, just the emblem/key hunting aspect is going to get old well before 12 hours.

HLTB is probably wrong there. It's not anywhere near that long.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

HLTB is probably wrong there. It's not anywhere near that long.

On a first play through though I can definitely see that happening. There actually are a few entirely new areas in the game compared to the original also. Plus depending on how you choose to handle the lighter fluid situation regarding a particular enemy type, a lot of extra time can get added on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The original can be beaten in about 4-5 hours if you aren't clearly rushing. It can be beaten in 3 if you are. I would say that once you know what you are doing, you can beat it in about 6 or 7 hours. Things get considerably easier and streamlined once you get established in the mansion.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x711B_0pLjM&t=188s

Randomly looked up something and I almost went my whole life without knowing any of the resident evil endings had dialog. Holy poo poo that would have been a shame to miss.
Jill and Barry have great dialog too in the one right after that Chris/Rebecca ending.

At least the optimal ending gives you this in the directors cut to make up for the lack of awesome dialog.

Chris describing the almost total slaughter of his friends and co-workers as "Just too weird" is pretty much peak Resident Evil.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Chris describing the almost total slaughter of his friends and co-workers as "Just too weird" is pretty much peak Resident Evil.

At least he's somewhat baffled, throughout the rest of the game he and Rebecca sound so loving happy all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvtF0qzmhs

2:30, probably the best dialogue in the entire series.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

Resident Evil and Onimusha composer exposed as a fraud

Resident Evil and Onimusha composer Mamoru Samuragochi has admitted hiring someone else to write his music for nearly two decades, according to the Japan Times.

The 50-year-old, dubbed the "Japanese Beethoven", lost his hearing completely at the age of 35 but continued to work using what he calls his "absolute pitch". In Japan he is most famous for Hiroshima Symphony No 1, which he dedicated to those killed in the 1945 atomic blast, but gamers know him best for his work on Capcom's Resident Evil and Onimusha.

According to Samuragochi's promotional website, he composed the music for 1997's Resident Evil: The Director's Cut, called Biohazard in Japan, while hiding "his severe hearing disability and living under harsh conditions".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-05-resident-evil-and-onimusha-composer-exposed-as-a-fraud

This goes beyond the Japanese videogame music industry as Samuragochi was involved in more mainstream productions. It sounds as if he planned on using ghost writers as a short term solution but the success of the games made the lie bigger and bigger.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
That explains how this came to be then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://kotaku.com/resident-evils-deaf-composer-apparently-isnt-deaf-1517280264

According to the ghostwriter, Samuragoch isn't even deaf.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This Wesker talk from the past few pages always makes me think of the 'big reveal' about Wesker's connection to Umbrella, which even though I was twelve when the original came out, and I was dumb as Hell, the fact you find some top-secret memo with his name in it should have been enough. But no, they have to hammer home the point with this (pic might be from the REmake, but a pic like this did show up in both):

(Bonus points for the commitment to ALWAYS WEARING YOUR SUNGLASSES)

Totally a supervillain, even before the crazy powers. Evil super-scientist AND Head of the STARS, and nobody had any suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wesker has been the best part of this series from day 1.