Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Personally Jedi is the only movie where I like C3PO because they finally gave him something to do besides complain. In Star Wars he's annoying but ignorable and in Empire he's awful in a "slapstick Jar Jar scene in the middle of a battle" way. But I like him in Jedi.

That's a good point, he actually gets to use his fluency in 6 million languages for once by talking to the Ewoks. Actually, if he was built by Anakin, how did he get all that information on so many languages an cultures? Why is he identical looking to other protocol droids in both the prequels and original trilogy? Why did he get his memory wiped and R2 didn't, yet R2-D2 never told anyone about what he'd seen?

Don't answer that, I'm sure someone has thought up some convoluted explanation for everything, when really Lucas just put them in the prequels so he can sell toys of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That loving Sned posted:

That's a good point, he actually gets to use his fluency in 6 million languages for once by talking to the Ewoks. Actually, if he was built by Anakin, how did he get all that information on so many languages an cultures? Why is he identical looking to other protocol droids in both the prequels and original trilogy? Why did he get his memory wiped and R2 didn't, yet R2-D2 never told anyone about what he'd seen?

Standardized software, standardized design, and R2-D2 is an rear end in a top hat, respectively.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Is R2-D2 a Force user?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
R2D2 is an Empire spy who constantly sabotages the rebels

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
R2D2 is actually a severely autistic Jawa that uses its robot costume to interact with others.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
He's just playing the long dramatic game. Mark my words, Episode IX, that trashcan'll pop open and out will walk a Sith-lord Yoda thing.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aaronicon posted:

a Sith-lord Yoda thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

redshirt posted:

Is R2-D2 a Force user?

I'm not sure how you could watch the movies and conclude that he isn't.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I choose to believe that Anakin painstakingly assembled C-3PO by cannibalizing parts from other droids of his type, maybe putting some non-standard hardware under his plating. He built a protocol droid for his mother because she kept getting cheated by non-Basic-speaking merchants at the marketplace whenever she did Watto's food shopping; 3PO was meant to help her negotiate. This makes the movies marginally less terrible for me, hth

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

C-3P0 is Anakin's other son, Luke and Leia's half-brother. Whereas Vader sees in Luke an incipient enemy or potential ally, fit to inherit the galaxy from him, he prefers not to see Threepio at all. Luke is the favored son, the son of Padme, an innocent corrupted by Obi-Wan's wiles; Threepio is the despised son, descended only from the self-loathing Anakin and born when the boy was at his most wretched. Padme was Anakin's salvation, the only goodness in his life, because he believed certainly that there was none in himself, and so Luke was Anakin's salvation, whereas Threepio could (to him, at least) only ever be Anakin himself.

In Cloud City, C-3P0 was to be melted down but Vader didn't stick around to see to it, even though he had plenty of time before he meant to greet Luke personally. We don't know whether his intended destruction or his eventual escape was closer to what Vader wanted. What did he see reflected in that shiny robot? The innocent slave to Watto? The apprentice of Obi-Wan who avenged his mother? The servant of Palpatine who plots insurrection?

The Ewoks venerated Leia and Threepio, who were ignorant of their heritage, whereas their brother Luke, who alone (at the time) knew their father, was on the dinner menu. I don't know how Han and Chewbacca fit into this.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

redshirt posted:

Is R2-D2 a Force user?

Luke could never use the force, Obi-wan, Yoda, Darth Vader, and R2-D2 were just messing with him this whole time.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I choose to believe that Anakin painstakingly assembled C-3PO by cannibalizing parts from other droids of his type, maybe putting some non-standard hardware under his plating. He built a protocol droid for his mother because she kept getting cheated by non-Basic-speaking merchants at the marketplace whenever she did Watto's food shopping; 3PO was meant to help her negotiate. This makes the movies marginally less terrible for me, hth

Alcohol does the trick for me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

C-3P0 is Anakin's other son, Luke and Leia's half-brother. Whereas Vader sees in Luke an incipient enemy or potential ally, fit to inherit the galaxy from him, he prefers not to see Threepio at all. Luke is the favored son, the son of Padme, an innocent corrupted by Obi-Wan's wiles; Threepio is the despised son, descended only from the self-loathing Anakin and born when the boy was at his most wretched. Padme was Anakin's salvation, the only goodness in his life, because he believed certainly that there was none in himself, and so Luke was Anakin's salvation, whereas Threepio could (to him, at least) only ever be Anakin himself.

In Cloud City, C-3P0 was to be melted down but Vader didn't stick around to see to it, even though he had plenty of time before he meant to greet Luke personally. We don't know whether his intended destruction or his eventual escape was closer to what Vader wanted. What did he see reflected in that shiny robot? The innocent slave to Watto? The apprentice of Obi-Wan who avenged his mother? The servant of Palpatine who plots insurrection?

The Ewoks venerated Leia and Threepio, who were ignorant of their heritage, whereas their brother Luke, who alone (at the time) knew their father, was on the dinner menu. I don't know how Han and Chewbacca fit into this.

Anakin had no Father; C3-PO has no Mother.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Apparently Efron's been talking to Disney. Hopefully that's misdirection...
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/01/zac-efron-in-talks-with-disney-over-star-wars-7-role-4286517/

That being said, the article does mention Judi Dench as Mon Mothma, which would be loving awesome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Actually, how could R2-D2 even know of or conceive of the Force since it is made up of metaal and plaastic and the Force is repeatedly referred to as a lifeform only resident in other lifeforms?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

motherbox posted:

Apparently Efron's been talking to Disney. Hopefully that's misdirection...
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/01/zac-efron-in-talks-with-disney-over-star-wars-7-role-4286517/

That being said, the article does mention Judi Dench as Mon Mothma, which would be loving awesome.

What a terrible article. It says he's confirmed he's "in talks", but the actual quote was just that he met with them. The difference between "meeting with Disney" and "being in talks with Disney" is pretty big. I'm sure they've met with shitloads of actors, but it doesn't mean any of them are close to getting cast.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

redshirt posted:

Actually, how could R2-D2 even know of or conceive of the Force since it is made up of metaal and plaastic and the Force is repeatedly referred to as a lifeform only resident in other lifeforms?

That's pretty racist, dude.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pththya-lyi posted:

Like the robot butlers and doctors in Elysium, C-3PO represents Anakin's desire for an efficient state apparatus that will take care of the people.

Remember, the one thing that prevents Anakin from being a genuinely good guy is his pathological attachment to his mother. He loves her, and will do anything to keep her alive - and his feelings towards Padme get mixed up in that. See the earlier observation that, in his attempt at keeping Padme's body alive, Anakin crushes her soul. However, this love is the very thing that elevates Anakin beyond the level of the other Jedi. His passion and ruthlessness are simply misdirected towards sandpeople, the basic concept of Democracy, etc. Anakin fails to love the sandpeople as much as he loves his mother, or moreso.

The beauty of C-3PO in Star Wars is that he never stops being a servant. He pretends to serve the empire, actually serves the people, but never stops. This explains his antagonistic relationship with Han in ESB. Of course Han's all ruggedly individualistic, but that's his flaw. He's frequently endangered by his failure to communicate and trust others. C-3PO is all communication.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Will people please do me a huge solid and stop paying to go to Zac Efron movies? C'mon we did it with Shia we can do it again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm sure they've met with shitloads of actors, but it doesn't mean any of them are close to getting cast.

They begin shooting in May (which seems ridiculously late for an effects-heavy film opening 18 months later), so they'd better be getting close to casting people.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Timby posted:

They begin shooting in May (which seems ridiculously late for an effects-heavy film opening 18 months later), so they'd better be getting close to casting people.

Well yeah, but I mean that there's no reason to assume any particular actor they've met with is close to being cast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kiimo posted:

Will people please do me a huge solid and stop paying to go to Zac Efron movies? C'mon we did it with Shia we can do it again.

No sale.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Personally Jedi is the only movie where I like C3PO because they finally gave him something to do besides complain. In Star Wars he's annoying but ignorable and in Empire he's awful in a "slapstick Jar Jar scene in the middle of a battle" way. But I like him in Jedi.

Empire has C3PO's single greatest line, though: "Typical."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

redshirt posted:

Cloned plastic? :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

redshirt posted:

Maybe he gets it from bacteria that are on him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe he gets it from bacteria that are on him.

A long time ago a Jedi programmed a cyber-chlorian app.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Madurai posted:

Empire has C3PO's single greatest line, though: "Typical."

My favourite line from him in that film is actually "He's quite clever you know, for a human being". Despite being programmed for etiquette and protocol, he's full of bias and opinions on everyone around him. Luke is generally polite to droids, especially R2, while Han Solo and Lando ignore C-3PO when he introduces himself.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Bah, that guy just grabbed a video I made during a lazy sunday, made it 'HD' by editing in a higher-quality version of the movie scenes, but left the part where I actually had to put a bit of effort into(falling into the shaft) at a low quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg
And not even crediting me for it :colbert:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Baron von der Loon posted:

Bah, that guy just grabbed a video I made during a lazy sunday, made it 'HD' by editing in a higher-quality version of the movie scenes, but left the part where I actually had to put a bit of effort into(falling into the shaft) at a low quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg
And not even crediting me for it :colbert:

There's something fantastic about your video's 'Special Edition' being inferior than the original.

redshirt posted:

Midichlorians are just a conduit that 'tells us about the Force', from the perspective of a really dumb Jedi Order. They're at most like an ultrasound. If you live in a time without ultrasounds, how can you ever have a baby? R2D2 is a sentient god-king.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hbomberguy posted:

Midichlorians are just a conduit that 'tells us about the Force', from the perspective of a really dumb Jedi Order. They're at most like an ultrasound.

Eh, Midichlorians have been accurate enough to let the really dumb Jedi Order correctly identify the guy who killed them all their messiah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Shame they missed the messiah that was going to get them all laid

(It was R2)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Eh, Midichlorians have been accurate enough to let the really dumb Jedi Order correctly identify the guy who killed them all their messiah.

I think your post rebuts itself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hbomberguy posted:

I think your post rebuts itself.

Sorry, I just have a problem with the reading that midichlorians were introduced to further show how detached the Jedi were, because the thing they tried to prove with the midichlorians (i.e. the identity of their Neo) turned out to be true.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

motherbox posted:

But Caroline Blakiston is still alive and still acting. Why wouldn't you use the original Mon Mothma when you're already inviting back so many older cast members?

I'm not slagging Dame Judi Dench... it just seems, I don't know, disrespectful to recast ONE of the characters just to get a big name on board.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There was a really good post a long time ago in this thread that went into just how badly the prequel Jedi understood the Force/how much Lucas hosed up in the prequels. All those dumb superpower abilities (unlocked at lvl 9)? Compare those to the OT, where the Force is suited to its user. Obi-Wan can pull off the mind trick because he's an old man in hiding. The emperor's force lightning isn't because he gained enough evil points to unlock it or because he read the ancient lore of Darth Shootslightning (soon available in all good bookstores!) but because he's an utterly dominant, overwhelming, cruel villain. That he can dominate and torture his enemy through the Force is just an extension of that. Likewise R2's Force Hacking isn't some pre defined Jedi move, it's an extension of him.

The prequel Jedi have their identikit video game moves because they can only understand the Force in RPG sourcebook terms. That's why they have midichlorians and power levels, and those who are gifted and those who aren't, and those who are people and those who aren't (droids and barbarian sand people). They have rooms of children learning to use the mystical essence of life by rote with their eyes literally covered, and for all the superpowers they gain it does them no good in the end.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Sorry, I just have a problem with the reading that midichlorians were introduced to further show how detached the Jedi were, because the thing they tried to prove with the midichlorians (i.e. the identity of their Neo) turned out to be true.

If Neo literally killed all of Zion's children with his bare hands, I would see your point. The Jedi's entire ideology of analysis and training caused them to turn their prophecised chosen one into a complete monster who destroyed them all. Maybe something is wrong with how their order functions, perhaps? Demystifying the force is a bad idea. This is why so many people laugh at fundamentalist christians who want to 'prove' their point of view. There are people walking around today so sure that their particular god exists that they will admit to becoming murderers and rapists if it were ever disproven for them. Anakin is one of those people.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

sassassin posted:

Shame they missed the messiah that was going to get them all laid

(It was R2)

Does R2 have music playing functionality with Kenny Loggins queued up?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

The midichlorians 'work' because the Jedi have fallen to the dark side, abandoning authentic belief in favor of blunt positive knowledge. They're fundamentalists.

They're directly analogous to Shaw in Prometheus finding a copy of God's DNA and feeling overwhelming disappointment - because the numbers on the screen say absolutely nothing about the meaning of life. See also: the answer to the universe being 42. Shaw has to find meaning in the absurd pursuit itself.

This dichotomy between knowledge and belief is the key difference between the dark and light sides of the force.

Those are actually both the dark side.
VvvvvvvvvV

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 3, 2014

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
Dark side: electrocuting your enemies
Light side: deceiving the weak and feeble-minded

Force users are kind of jerks in general.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

It only shows they were detached because it works. If it didn't work, it would show that they were clueless. It's not that technology doesn't work, it's that the act of using it distances one from more directly experiencing the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Dark side: electrocuting your enemies
Light side: deceiving the weak and feeble-minded

Force users are kind of jerks in general.

Potentium fo' life, yo.

• Locked thread