Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have no "Chromecast icon" when playing Netflix in Chrome (I assume it would be in the main video controls area and look just like the icon in Youtube/Mobile Netflix.)
My only option is using the "Cast this tab" option in the plug-in menu.

Yeah, if the casting icon is not showing up in the Netflix playback control bar, like below:

You might as well do a factory reset on your Chromecast and start over. Might be a bug or something.

[edit]

quote:

There are two ways to Factory Data Reset (FDR) your Chromecast:

Factory Data Reset your Chromecast from the Chromecast app. You will find the option to FDR under ‘Settings’ or ‘Menu’ or
Physically hold down the button on your Chromecast for at least 25 seconds or until the solid light begins flashing.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When I start a Netflix video, it pops up and says "Play on TV" and points at the button to use.

The one at the top, bad. The one at the bottom, good. If you don't have the one at the bottom, thats very bad.

What about Youtube?

If it doesn't work there either, it isn't a Silverlight issue.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Just to be sure, your computer and the chromecast are on the same network, right?

Yes
VVV

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 11, 2014

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
After I set up Chromecast, can I delete the Android app?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Yes, you can. And anybody who joins your wifi won't need to download the app because the functionality is built into the media apps themselves.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Guy Axlerod posted:

When I start a Netflix video, it pops up and says "Play on TV" and points at the button to use.

The one at the top, bad. The one at the bottom, good. If you don't have the one at the bottom, thats very bad.

What about Youtube?

If it doesn't work there either, it isn't a Silverlight issue.

It IS showing up on Youtube and works fine there.

So I should try uninstalling and re-installing Silverlight again?

Edit: Well, that didn't do anything...still no Chromecast icon in Netflix.

Second edit: Factory reset on the Chromecast didn't work either. It definitely seems like a Netflix issue, not a Chromecast one. Youtube, Hulu, etc... work fine.

Third edit: Welp, it was my script blocker. Since I had previously allowed everything from Netflix, I didn't think it would be an issue, especially since it was still working fine in the browser. But NotScripts was blocking "nflximg.com" which allowed for them to play, but not get cast.

I'm dumb.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 11, 2014

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
That's a super weird problem. Are you not in the US or something, maybe?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

DrBouvenstein posted:

Third edit: Welp, it was my script blocker. Since I had previously allowed everything from Netflix, I didn't think it would be an issue, especially since it was still working fine in the browser. But NotScripts was blocking "nflximg.com" which allowed for them to play, but not get cast.

I'm dumb.

Oh DrBouvenstein.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Why would you though? The app is there for you to manage your Chromecasts, e.g., you can reboot it from the app, factory reset it, connect it to another network, and change its name.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Just to be clear, Plex fixed it so you can't cast from Chrome, right? It now sends up a thing telling me to get Plexpass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="424293926"]
Just to be clear, Plex fixed it so you can't cast from Chrome, right? It now sends up a thing telling me to get Plexpass.

Yeah, they must've patched it or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Having a weird issue. I have 2 chromecasts in my house, one downstairs called Family room and 1 upstairs called Bedroom. I am seeing 2 chromecasts called "Bedroom" when I try and cast from a handheld device. If I cast from a desktop client 1 only see the 2 chromecasts. I unplugged them both and now I still see 1 "bedroom" chromecast. This happens from my iPhone, iPad, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 devices, and only with Youtube and Netflix. If I cast from the Plex app I don't see the duplicate device.

I have renamed both Chromecasts, no luck.

I have factory reset both devices, rebooted my router. I have a Asus RT-N66U with tomato. I did change my router but I can't remember if this issue started then. Any help would be appreciated, I called Google and they didn't know.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 11, 2014

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

teagone posted:

Yeah, they must've patched it or something.

So there's no way to cast local media without plexpass now?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Ghostnuke posted:

So there's no way to cast local media without plexpass now?

Coincidentally, the page for the Android app on Google Play now says that casting will be coming to all users once it's out of a "trial" period. However long that is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Coincidentally, the page for the Android app on Google Play now says that casting will be coming to all users once it's out of a "trial" period. However long that is.

It's been that way for a while. They'll probably keep it exclusive for a few months.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's been that way for a while. They'll probably keep it exclusive for a few months.

Ah. In any case, I'm content to wait. My PC is fast enough to cast the entire Plex tab, and I've solved problems with the interface popping up by Alt-Tabbing to another app.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Has anyone tried casting Crunchyroll via Plex to Chromecast? When I tried, it never loaded but the site loads fine by itself. I'm trying to figure out a way to cast Crunchyroll without going to my PC each time. (PC upstairs. TV downstairs)

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Irritated Goat posted:

Has anyone tried casting Crunchyroll via Plex to Chromecast? When I tried, it never loaded but the site loads fine by itself. I'm trying to figure out a way to cast Crunchyroll without going to my PC each time. (PC upstairs. TV downstairs)

Use TeamViewer to remote into your PC to load up episodes/Chromecast them.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="424588865"]
Use TeamViewer to remote into your PC to load up episodes/Chromecast them.

Or use the Microsoft RDP client for android.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Plex is okay... Not great. Netflix looks better to be honest. And I have all of my transcoding and streaming settings turned all the way up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk on Plex's forums that they may not actually let everyone use Plex on Chromecast until probably 5-6 months from know considering all of their features they promised to have available to all months ago.

This isn't really looking good for everyone to use Plex.

In the mean time, I might get Plex Pass lifetime...is Plex for Chromecast actually worth that?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's talk on Plex's forums that they may not actually let everyone use Plex on Chromecast until probably 5-6 months from know considering all of their features they promised to have available to all months ago.

This isn't really looking good for everyone to use Plex.

In the mean time, I might get Plex Pass lifetime...is Plex for Chromecast actually worth that?

You could always just do the 2.99 a month plan to see if it's worth it to you.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

ThermoPhysical posted:

This isn't surprising at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

You could always just do the 2.99 a month plan to see if it's worth it to you.

I might give this a shot. Thanks for the response!

Geno posted:

This isn't surprising at all.

This actually might affect the Chromecast's popularity. There are people on Plex's forums returning their device just because of what Plex is doing.

The common population doesn't even know what Plex is but they hear that "that new Roku thing can do more" and of course there's Apple TV so who knows.

Google really needs to get that SDK out fast. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If Plex ever updates their Roku channel UI, then I might go back to using it depending on how good it is (because the Roku YouTube and Netflix channels look amazing while the Plex Roku Channel looks like dogshit). Until then, Chromecast is my go-to streamer because it's just so drat convenient.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I might give this a shot. Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I use the 2.99 3.99 plan and it's fine. I've heavily invested my media with my Plex Server, so it's a no brainer for me really.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 22, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does Plex override DIVX protection?

I have a blu-ray player, that anytime I try to play a digital copy file of a movie I have, will pop up saying DIVX protected content cannot be played on here.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can always try out plex, and if you like it get a better plan and they will give you a refund on your cheaper plan.

^ holy poo poo you just reminded me of DIVX. I don't have anything to add, but thats funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Plex is okay... Not great. Netflix looks better to be honest. And I have all of my transcoding and streaming settings turned all the way up.

When I stream from plex to my chromecast the quality is either on par with netflix or far exceeds it. Did you make sure whatever device you're casting from has the appropriate streaming settings? I had to set both my phone and tablet at 12Mbit each as they defaulted to 3Mbit 720p or whatever.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

teagone posted:

When I stream from plex to my chromecast the quality is either on par with netflix or far exceeds it. Did you make sure whatever device you're casting from has the appropriate streaming settings? I had to set both my phone and tablet at 12Mbit each as they defaulted to 3Mbit 720p or whatever.

I have my phone turned all the way up. I have my PC server turned all the way up. Does the stream go from the server to the router to the phone to the router to the Chromecast? Or does the Chromecast pick it up right from the server, like it does with Netflix?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I have my phone turned all the way up. I have my PC server turned all the way up. Does the stream go from the server to the router to the phone to the router to the Chromecast? Or does the Chromecast pick it up right from the server, like it does with Netflix?

Pretty sure the Chromecast picks up content directly from the Plex server. Your phone/tablet is just "telling" the Chromecast what to do.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Pretty sure the Chromecast picks up content directly from the Plex server. Your phone/tablet is just "telling" the Chromecast what to do.

It does but I think the plex server uses what the client quality is set at.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

It does but I think the plex server uses what the client quality is set at.

Right, yeah. That's why I had to set my phone/tablet and MacBook to transcode at 12Mbit because it defaulted to 2 or 3Mbit or something and you could definitely notice the difference.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is plex support just for locally stored media or does stuff like the unsupported apps work as well?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Plex is a fantastic product but you need to have a good internal network and a pretty beefy computer to transcode stuff on the fly. Trying to do 12mbit with a C2D box over a crappy 802.11g network isn't going to go over well.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well right now I have a laptop connected to my main tv and plex running on it. It works great, I'd just like to stream to the chromecast so I don't have to move the laptop room to room. That's why I'm looking to see if the unsupported apps work before subscribing.

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005
On your laptop you should be able to cast a chrome tab with the plex video in it to your chromecast in the other room.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
My Chromecast sucks I think. It often loses network connection (only after long periods of inactivity) and has to be rebooted. Often times, it pings but isn't usable. Even when I do reboot it, it sometimes still doesn't work. Yes, I'm using the HDMI extender already. What else can I do to make this thing work when I want it to? Or does it seem like its broke and needs to be RMA'd?

I should note that when it's playing something, it's perfect. When whatever I'm watching stops, though, and I grab the laptop to watch something else, it's disconnected.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Plex has issues casting things that are AC3 5.1 to my TV. I just get the side channels and no voice. It needs to do some kind of conversion to stereo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Plex has issues casting things that are AC3 5.1 to my TV. I just get the side channels and no voice. It needs to do some kind of conversion to stereo.

I am pretty sure this has been fixed in one of the updates to the PMS. Since you have plexpass try the newest release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Chromecast is now open to developers

https://plus.google.com/100585555255542998765/posts/f5TLgHDzhaY

• Locked thread