Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just a heads up to ratbert90, the D103 has been discontinued. I hope that the D101 works just as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phone posted:

Just a heads up to ratbert90, the D103 has been discontinued. I hope that the D101 works just as well!

well poo poo! It should indeed! Just make sure you don't use it straight and you use it in a year or so. If its anything like d103 the fat will eventually separate.

:v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For those that aren't watching, I brought my hood back from the dead today:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599316&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post424345812

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I attacked the paint on our inherited 91 Corolla today. It is a beat-to-poo poo single stage white finish with scratches, chips, stains, and tons of oxidation. I used the Meg's Ultimate Compound and LC orange and yellow pads and it came out brilliant. Ran out of time and energy to apply polish and wax tonight, but I'll post some dazzling pictures later this week when it is done.

I forgot to take "before" pictures, but the original owner (wife's granddad) used to "wash" the car with Windex and paper towels :stonk: , just to give you an idea of where I started from.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I know I saw something about Sonax first in this thread, so I'll post my first reactions here:

I put an application on my Diamond White Deville. It went on and came off easy. I had it one time in the rain and it looked good... the water beaded and ran off like a windshield with a fresh coating of Rain-X.

But I sold the Deville a week later.

This weekend I put another application on my black STS after I cleaned up the paint from years of auto-wash abuse. So far, another good impression. We've got a ton of snow/salt around here and I had sides caked with salt. With just a quick rinse with warm water and a microfiber washing rag, it was ready to dry, no rinsing necessary -- all of the crap washed right off and left clear water ready to dry.

I'm not sold on it yet, but first impressions are very good.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'm about the choose the nuclear option for wheel cleaning:

http://amzn.com/B005CDSH14

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I'm about the choose the nuclear option for wheel cleaning:

http://amzn.com/B005CDSH14

If you want to scratch the hell out of your wheels go ahead. That thing would be amazing for steelies though.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Don't care, I hate cleaning wheels and you aren't going to notice whatever scratches that can leave in the 10 times I'll use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX35I0UMb9Q

You're not using it at 3000 RPM or anything

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 2, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just use a paintbrush and a good wheelcleaner. You shouldn't really need to scrub, just "agitate".

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I normally use whatever wash mitt I'm using and hit the wheels with that and some good cleaner. But my brake dust comes from track days every 1-2 months with big rear end Brembo brakes puking out high temp dust. Its a pretty good chore getting it off.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just buy SONAX Full Effect and a large brush and save yourself the hassle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds like you would benefit from giving the wheels a full-on clean and clay, and using a wax/sealant on them.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there any negative side effect to leaving my detailing chemicals outside all winter? I just went out to the shed, and noticed that a lot of my chemicals (Sonax Polymer Net Shield, Optimum No-Rinse, etc) were half frozen.

Is that okay?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BoyBlunder posted:

half frozen.

Is that okay?

No. A lot of the emulsions/mixtures will break and separate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like you would benefit from giving the wheels a full-on clean and clay, and using a wax/sealant on them.

Track wheels are consumables. That and I'm not sure if wax/sealant is good for non-ambient temps (if the tires are 150F+, uh....).

e: I get to see how I did on my 2 since it's not not salted and frozen over! Yay. (followed by a week long rain)

e2: Please excuse the lovely exposure, it's a combo of the Nexus 5's camera plus me being lazy and not downloading Photoshop/Lightroom yet on this PC

First time I've seen it in natural light, it's a bit dusty and I need to clean the interior and glass pretty badly.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 2, 2014

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

No. A lot of the emulsions/mixtures will break and separate.

gently caress. This sucks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BoyBlunder posted:

gently caress. This sucks.

Sorry, you may be able to save some of them, but you're probably going to shake some of them up and have a bubbly mix come out. Pure guess, but I'd say you'll have better luck with the aerosols than the liquid products.

Nothing looks better than a clean and polished black car in the Winter. Nothing gets dirty quicker than a clean black car. Such is life.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Is there a small DA polisher option other than Griot's 3"? http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3inch-orbital-machine.html

Actually, nevermind. As I was looking for that link, I saw that Autogeek has a 20% off sale going on and it takes this kit under $90. I've run into a few places where I really need a smaller polisher and this looks like it would fit the bill.

Trip report after I use it.

Edit: scratch that, after getting ready to check out, their "20% off" doesn't apply to either the polisher or the case of Stoners stuff that I wanted to buy. gently caress autogeek.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 8, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Don't care, I hate cleaning wheels and you aren't going to notice whatever scratches that can leave in the 10 times I'll use it.

See, but this is the Detailing Thread, not the Nonspecific Thread: Let's talk about spraying cars with hoses once a year :colbert:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Scrubbing bubbles was mentioned a few pages back as an engine / engine bay cleaner. Any other suggestions? I'm leery of using something like that, given all the rubber surfaces.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Folderol posted:

Scrubbing bubbles was mentioned a few pages back as an engine / engine bay cleaner. Any other suggestions? I'm leery of using something like that, given all the rubber surfaces.

I just tried Zymol's Strik. It looks like just a concentrated citrus degreaser, but mixed 1:1 with water in a spray bottle, it did fantastically well on my MR2 motor (which literally hadn't been touched in more than 12 years). Sprayed it on, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then gave it a quick brush with a long, thin spoke-type brush. After a rinse, it looked nearly new.

I wouldn't recommend paying their prices, but I'd think that Orange Blast or something similar would give you the same result.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Folderol posted:

I think I might have been the one who mentioned it... Only use it on cars you don't care about and when you can get it cheap (like at the dollar store). Otherwise you might as well just spring for something legit since it leaves surfaces a bit shiny. I've used it on cars that I flipped for quick results.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Muc-Off works well, and Meguiar's and others do specific engine bay detailing products.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I've indulged my OCD with reckless abandon in all other areas of my car, and look forward to doing the same in the engine bay.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Question for the rinseless experts:

I see alot of people pre-rinsing each panel before going at it with their wash media, to help lubricate and suspend dirt. Is this best done with the rinseless wash diluted at QD strength, or can I just funnel a bit of my rinseless mix into a spray bottle?

For what it's worth, I'm using Duragloss 931, with the single bucket + multiple micro towels method.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I have a bit of an odd one here, there does not seem to be much info about saving paint from the 80s that is oversprayed and looking pretty terrible.

I would really like to avoid having to repaint the entire thing, as I am already having to go that route with the rest of the ancient, cracked bodywork. Ideally, I would like to get the black dots (overspray from spraypaint the PO said) off and lessen the ugly scratch in the last picture. I'm not going for 10/10 museum quality. The decals were cleared over for the factory paint, how would that effect cleaning this up?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Try a claybar on the overspray first. My dad spray-painted a table in the garage and got a bunch of overspray on my mom's car, and I got it off with a claybar and some elbow grease. Those splotches look pretty big though, so clay may not do the trick. If clay doesn't work, try using a rubbing compound like Meguire's Ultimate Compound. If that doesn't work, the next step would be wet sanding. If that doesn't work, it's time to repaint.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bandman posted:

Try a claybar on the overspray first. My dad spray-painted a table in the garage and got a bunch of overspray on my mom's car, and I got it off with a claybar and some elbow grease. Those splotches look pretty big though, so clay may not do the trick. If clay doesn't work, try using a rubbing compound like Meguire's Ultimate Compound. If that doesn't work, the next step would be wet sanding. If that doesn't work, it's time to repaint.

If clay doesn't do it, I'd suggest a magic eraser before Meguiar's Ultimate. A bit more aggressive than UC, but certainly not too abrasive for something as set as that paint is.

Those spots do look tough. If you know what it is, (looks like potassium stains), you may be able to find a specific chemical that removes the spots... I know potassium stains like the damned, but it can be removed with just a spray-on chemical and it simply vanishes.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What's the best way to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of an interior? It's really faint, but still somewhat present after a can of "air fresher/cleaner" stuff that you let fill the car for 10 minutes or so then air out. I've heard ozone, but what products do I use? Is it a special ozone machine I'd need to rent?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
For deodorizing I usually start with one of those "air sponge" dishes in the car for a few days. It works better in the summer though.

I think all the ozone deodorizing methods use a special ozone generator machine. Make sure you get the headliner if you end up doing something like a steam machine (though take care if it is steam not to ruin the headliner/glue).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've had decent results with Ozium.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Same here, bomb a car with it, let it sit for a day closed up, and then let it sit for 16+ hours outside with all the doors open/windows rolled-down.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Is there anything I can do to get the smell of my car back? I'm coming up on the year-since and I rather miss the pervading smell of crayons (in the old car) when I'd open the door after it baked in the sun for a few hours. This one doesn't. :sigh:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

West SAAB Story posted:

Is there anything I can do to get the smell of my car back? I'm coming up on the year-since and I rather miss the pervading smell of crayons (in the old car) when I'd open the door after it baked in the sun for a few hours. This one doesn't. :sigh:

Buy a pack of crayons and stuff them under the seat or if you're feeling fancy throw them right by the cabin filter?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Bajaha posted:

Buy a pack of crayons and stuff them under the seat or if you're feeling fancy throw them right by the cabin filter?

Do they make crayons in metric? I won't have SAE in my automobile. :smuggo:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I know most of this is in the first post, but I want someone to treat me like a baby and tell me if I'm missing anything.

My 2010 car has never been detailed and it looks ok at a distance, but you can really see the swirls up close. I would rather pay someone to do this, but the people I find don't even know what a clay bar is and/or won't even tape off the windshields so wax won't get on them.

So I'm going to:

Dawn Wash using two bucket system and microfiber wash mitt.
Clay bar
Apply compound using a dual action polisher.
Apply wax with the dual action polisher.
Hopefully not screw up my paint.

If I want to apply sealant, does it replace the wax step or is it another step entirely? If it's another step entirely, do I apply the sealant prior to the wax or after waxing? I don't have a pressure washer so I'm not getting the foam cannon suggested in the first post.

I'm going to buy the Meguiar correction kit so it comes with pads for the compound and wax, but what kind of pads do I need for the sealant?

Thanks in advance!

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
So here's an interior I did recently that I am pretty proud of:

Before:

After:

2013 Dodge Journey, owned by llama farmers (I'm not kidding).

Thalamus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 7, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thalamus posted:

So here's an interior I did recently that I am pretty proud of:

Before:

After:

2013 Dodge Journey, owned by llama farmers (I'm not kidding).

Very nice. Seat stay in, or come out?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That looks great, makes me feel a little better about my salt soaked interior knowing that its fixable at some point. Curious, where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

meatpimp posted:

Very nice. Seat stay in, or come out?

Seats stayed in. I usually only take seats out when I'm working on a minivan.
I live in upstate NY.