Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

poptart_fairy posted:

Gah, sorry, I just double checked and noticed I've been using the wrong save file so only one of Deathstroke's predator maps was showing. :psyduck:

Specifically, it's the 'Cash In' DLC map where you can use Deathstroke. It's one of Penguin's rooms with a single jammer guy, two snipers, another unarmoured dude and five armoured guys. I can take down the snipers, jammer and regular guy just fine, but I'm at a loss as to how I deal with a pack of armoured thugs. The medals are fine as they register with attempted takedowns on armoured thugs, but it's surviving to the end of the map which is a problem.

After clearing out the other enemies, use the ballistic staff to lure enemies to locations for vent and corner takedowns, which are fast and give you time to get away. A good tactic for mass takedowns is to lure a group together then use the remote claw to send an explosive container into their midst.

On that map, the upper level walkways take awhile to get to- as such they're a good place to bring enemies, plus there are a lot of corners there.

In general, it sounds like you're going loud sooner than you might need to. Try and take out both snipers and at least one balcony armored goon in short order. Remember, enemy behavior is deterministic, especially at the beginning of the map- if you can get a quick, quiet way to take out several enemies fast, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So I decided to do some Catwoman predator maps just now.

:negative:

:negative:

Okay I think I'm done. I don't want to do any more. I didn't even know you could do an inverted ledge takedown in Top of the World until today. And having only 3 gadgets is weird, since most of the medals (slide and ground pound?) repeat so often. Also I wish there was "hold A to pounce" and a crosshair or something would show up, trying to regular jump off a vantage point or something is really weird (guessing it also applies to Nightwing and Deathstroke) since you don't really know where you are going even if you usually snap to a ledge, since you can't fine tune with gliding like Batman and Robin can. The only good thing I can say is Catwoman seems to run faster, I had really no trouble running away and darting around a corner to break LOS. Yes, I know don't rely on vantage points, especially for non-gliders but it's something I can't seem to shake off. Also while I didn't mind the climbing QTE minigame during free roam traversal it is a real hindrance in predator maps since it's mindlessly mashing A to escape.

Also I totally abused jumping off Top of the World to break LOS, since it drops me back into another room or near the start. Trust me, some of those maps took more than a couple of retries to figure out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sober posted:

So I decided to do some Catwoman predator maps just now.

Okay I think I'm done. I don't want to do any more.

Just so I'm sure, you're aware that Catwoman can run silently? I love doing catwoman predator maps(except the train station) because getting silent kills on non-armored mooks is so painless.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Just so I'm sure, you're aware that Catwoman can run silently? I love doing catwoman predator maps(except the train station) because getting silent kills on non-armored mooks is so painless.
Oh of course, but for non-Bats medals, you pretty much have to do at least 2 of the 3 medals to even get close. There is no sonic batarang and by the time you have a few of them panicking, you can't coax them out by any indirect means. By the time it's cleanup, I've maybe done one or two run-up and silent takedowns or less if I want to play around with the map, but honestly the loud ones are much more useful since you need to use them occasionally as lures to get some breathing room.

Also at End of the Line I dunno if it's an animation frame thing but I totally did two single ledge takedowns (rather than a double) back to back before the other one spotted me. Probably because she doesn't do a head bash on the railing like Batman does, which is where the "BAM" sound alert starts from.

edit: to clarify, non-extreme predator maps have 5 or 6 goons tops, and pretty much all of the medals involve doing a takedown rather than "be a dick and scare someone", so you have to whittle down the count really quick at the start. Sometimes I lose track and forgot I don't have any medals yet.

edit again: goddamn only Bats seems to have an enemy counter that's why.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How soon will I get high level threat predator encounters in New Game Plus? If it's too far along, I might as will forget completing the Worst Nightmare track. What a slog. (not that the game isn't fun, it is; but drat what a long wait)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

How soon will I get high level threat predator encounters in New Game Plus? If it's too far along, I might as will forget completing the Worst Nightmare track. What a slog. (not that the game isn't fun, it is; but drat what a long wait)
If I were you, take a break from the game (or be like me and don't) and delete that save file and play it from the start with a guide. There is no loving way I would figure out or remember to do Worst Nightmare without one, only because the guide will tell you YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ONE NOW OR FORGET IT... well, mostly for the first Bank encounter that you have to be careful with.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sober posted:

If I were you, take a break from the game (or be like me and don't) and delete that save file and play it from the start with a guide. There is no loving way I would figure out or remember to do Worst Nightmare without one, only because the guide will tell you YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ONE NOW OR FORGET IT... well, mostly for the first Bank encounter that you have to be careful with.

I've already done the really hard one (thanks deadshot). I'm on the 10th one, which is to complete a high-level threat predator room without being seen. I want that sonic shock batarang, but I don't know how badly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's a high-level predator room in the linear endgame. Get through that without being seen and you're golden.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The way I did the Worst Nightmare challenges was

Rank 1: Done automatically as a part of the first Enigma tower.

Rank 2: GCPD Roof.

Rank 3: Final Offer Theater.

Rank 4: Outside of the Steel Mill where you head to save Black Mask later.

Rank 5: GCPD Roof.

Rank 6: Gotham Merchant's Bank.

Rank 7: Drug Lab.

Rank 8: Gotham Royal Hotel Lobby.

Rank 9: Gotham Royal Hotel Pool Room.

Rank 10: Church (Black Mask)

Rank 11: Outside of the Steel Mill.

Rank 12: Gotham Merchant's Bank (Deadshot).

Rank 13: Final Offer Deck.

Rank 14: Gotham Pioneer's Bridge (Second Predator Area - First Time [Four thugs w/ Hostage Train car]).

Rank 15: Blackgate Nexus.

This will let you finish them all in one playthrough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That's a great list, Hobgoblin2099. Timeless Appeal, would it make sense to link to Hobgoblin's list in the OP? The Worst Nightmare Challenges are a freaking pita, the more who can be saved from doing them in new game plus the better.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

You can actually do rank 15 during one of the bridge predator sections.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sober posted:

You can actually do rank 15 during one of the bridge predator sections.

I know, but I was unable to do Rank 14 in the room before that. Rank 15 is best done with the four hostages and the hostage train car if you're doing it on the bridge. I tried doing it in the second encounter in that room, and the sniper just wouldn't get knocked out when he fell from the railing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

Oh of course, but for non-Bats medals, you pretty much have to do at least 2 of the 3 medals to even get close. There is no sonic batarang and by the time you have a few of them panicking, you can't coax them out by any indirect means. By the time it's cleanup, I've maybe done one or two run-up and silent takedowns or less if I want to play around with the map, but honestly the loud ones are much more useful since you need to use them occasionally as lures to get some breathing room.

Top of the World took me ages, because I didn't think to do Feet First with the hostage taker. People seem to recommend that. So there I was, one mook left, and I had to lure the rear end in a top hat into position. Also didn't know I didn't need to be perched on the ledge. Saw a video of a dude just standing near the edge of the walkway and the prompt came up. Basically just tossed bolas over towards the outer deck, hiding behind boxes. Of course he'd realize I was there after a few tosses and would come looking. So I crawled around the box until he assumed I was gone. Then I had to dash up the stairs and get into position and hope he did too.

Also, until watching a video? I had no loving idea you could hide up top in the center, above Strange's room. I never ran around inside the room much. The most I did was pop out of the upstairs vent to hit a guy, then duck back in. Once I got the map layout down, things got considerably easier. I dunno how well known the guy is, I assume fairly well, but watch these videos if you want to feel completely inadequate at any of the Arkham games.

If you want a good place to start, try Nightwing on Joker's Carnival!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Bet Copperhead last night on new game plus on hard, but had to cheese it in order to do it. I punched, re-direct, punch, re-direct, while throwing concussion grenades and laying down bat jell, using combat take down on her once I found the real one. I tried taking them on like a regular group of thugs, but I just couldn't read them when they were going to attack in order to counter them. With a group of thugs, you could always see when a guy would break away from a group for a punch, but with copperhead I had a much harder time. Also, was the head-stand spin kick thing she does unblockable? It seemed I just couldn't counter some of her attacks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Shnag posted:

Bet Copperhead last night on new game plus on hard, but had to cheese it in order to do it. I punched, re-direct, punch, re-direct, while throwing concussion grenades and laying down bat jell, using combat take down on her once I found the real one. I tried taking them on like a regular group of thugs, but I just couldn't read them when they were going to attack in order to counter them. With a group of thugs, you could always see when a guy would break away from a group for a punch, but with copperhead I had a much harder time. Also, was the head-stand spin kick thing she does unblockable? It seemed I just couldn't counter some of her attacks.

Here's some advice for that fight, use Multi Batarangs. It absolutely devastates the phantoms. Vault over one, throw three, punch/counter, vault over another, throw until the real one shows.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 3, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know where this stupid compulsion to get 100% achievements in games came from, but it sucks. Took a break from the godawful, repetitive mess that is Riddler's Revenge to mop up Harley Quinn's Revenge achievements. I've got them all except the stupid balloon one.

I played from Dry Docks to the end, then restarted and replayed the whole thing, start to finish, slowly searching for missing balloons, and I found one the whole loving time. I'm at 28/30 and I have no idea where they are. I was even using a map. I marked places on the in-game map, went there, checked every level in the area (roof/awnings/etc outside, in the rafters/side rooms inside) and it wasn't enough.

What tremendous loving rear end in a top hat decided not to let you play after you beat the DLC? You could still section off that part of the map. Just lower the enemy count like in the main game. If you miss anything outdoors, you have to finish the DLC before you can restart and go search again. If you miss anything in the areas in and around Dry Docks, you can't go back and look.

I guess I'll have to find a video guide that lists the stupid things in the order you'd find them, because the maps I was using weren't cutting it. Achievements are stupid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

I guess I'll have to find a video guide that lists the stupid things in the order you'd find them, because the maps I was using weren't cutting it. Achievements are stupid.

here you go. The best guides to the games come from this account.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The way I did the Worst Nightmare challenges was

Rank 1: Done automatically as a part of the first Enigma tower.

Rank 2: GCPD Roof.

Rank 3: Final Offer Theater.

Rank 4: Outside of the Steel Mill where you head to save Black Mask later.

Rank 5: GCPD Roof.

Rank 6: Gotham Merchant's Bank.

Rank 7: Drug Lab.

Rank 8: Gotham Royal Hotel Lobby.

Rank 9: Gotham Royal Hotel Pool Room.

Rank 10: Church (Black Mask)

Rank 11: Outside of the Steel Mill.

Rank 12: Gotham Merchant's Bank (Deadshot).

Rank 13: Final Offer Deck.

Rank 14: Gotham Pioneer's Bridge (Second Predator Area - First Time [Four thugs w/ Hostage Train car]).

Rank 15: Blackgate Nexus.

This will let you finish them all in one playthrough.

For some reason, #4 is being a total douche to unlock for me... I keep running into this problem where one challenge refuses to unlock, no matter how many times I do it. Last game it was the drat beatdown challenge #9 for Shadow Vigilante, now it's this one. I've lured guys over for Inverted Takedowns, Grate Takedowns, even Wall and Ceiling takedowns. Nothing. :wtc:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How active is origins multiplayer on PC anyway? Got a couple weeks of housebound time to kill and figured I'd go fish for old achievements and challenges.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I'm glad to see so many others in the thread have shared my pain in getting all of the Catwoman predator trophies. And if anyone's still going for them, have fun yelling at your screen when she decides to jump onto a walkway and say hi to the guard with the shotgun, instead of hanging on for a takedown. :shepicide:

Having played them all now, City is definitely my favourite, although I prefer Origins' story. I was really excited to take on 8 ridiculous assassins, but in execution they don't feel like much of a looming threat. When Deathstroke showed up it was pretty great, and that fight especially was a lot of fun (though I'd've liked some variation in his propane-tank-flinging strategy). Did anyone else try sliding at him? He does a little hop over you. :allears:

But other than that, all of the assassins seem fairly segregated. Maybe some random events, or even scripted sequences where they surprise you as you're flying around the city, would've helped. Although that might throw the difficulty curve off, since it'd get easier as you eliminated threats. Maybe have it as a NG+ feature? I was hoping for some of this when you return to Blackgate at the end, but I guess they all went home.

The story mostly felt like a retread, aside from it being Batman's first meeting with a lot of his foes. Although that one sequence is magical. I've seen some people mention Bane wanting to kill Batman because of some backstory reason from the comics, but without that knowledge I just assumed it was the Venom screwing with his memory (no reason it couldn't be both).

More predator sections would've been nice, nthing the "something about the combat feels off/different". I didn't do the challenge mode in Origins because I didn't have the Sonic Shock Batarang, but I tried the first combat one and it's pretty hard to get all 3 medals on.

And now since I've typed entirely too many words, I'll end with my favourite thug quote: "man, why'd I volunteer to work tonight? I should be at home, in bed, with a sandwich..., a beer, and my girl."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just beat Deathstroke without taking any damage and got the achievement for countering all his attacks.

My face = :smugdog:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

Just beat Deathstroke without taking any damage and got the achievement for countering all his attacks.

Yeah, but did you do it on New Game+?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

That's on my to do list! I uninstalled the wrong Arkham game and had to start over. :shepface:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, you really feel like a badass when you pull that off.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Phylodox posted:

I got that achievement on I Am The Night :smuggo:

Pretty sure I'll never get the Shiva achievement though because I can't tell regular sword attacks from the ones you have to knife-dodge takedown.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, you really feel like a badass when you pull that off.

Definitely. For all the flaws this game supposedly has, it's definitely my favourite of the three. It really sells the idea of being Batman, and I can just feel the guy's frustration as he's rushing towards an objective only for the crime tracker to spring up. I'll get to you soon, Black Mask, but for now these innocents are under my protection! :argh:

edit; I assume it's folly to try and get all three stars on a challenge combat map until I have all the campaign upgrades?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

edit; I assume it's folly to try and get all three stars on a challenge combat map until I have all the campaign upgrades?

You can try, and it's going to be possible, but there's really no reason not to wait.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, was just making sure. I'm falling just short of a few top tier scores so while I was feeling proud of myself it's good to know they can wait. :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HenessyHero posted:

Pretty sure I'll never get the Shiva achievement though because I can't tell regular sword attacks from the ones you have to knife-dodge takedown.

Oh, I got that one on New Game+, no problem. :smuggo:

I just evaded over everyone's head after each punch.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well, got most of the chellenges unlocked, I'm up to Worst Nightmare 13, htough I'm having a hell of a time with the final Shadow Vigilante one requiring a full 15 variations and a streak of 50 hits.just can't seem to find fights big enough, and I already did all the Bird stuff.

I'm still missing one Contract... I'm guessing it's Calendar Man maybe? Wondering when it's coming, I just beat Deadshot and now am trailing Bane.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Well, got most of the chellenges unlocked, I'm up to Worst Nightmare 13, htough I'm having a hell of a time with the final Shadow Vigilante one requiring a full 15 variations and a streak of 50 hits.just can't seem to find fights big enough, and I already did all the Bird stuff.

I'm still missing one Contract... I'm guessing it's Calendar Man maybe? Wondering when it's coming, I just beat Deadshot and now am trailing Bane.

Unless I'm mistaken, the last contract is Gordon asking you to track down 20 escaped Blackgate prisoners. Kind of a letdown, really.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Phylodox posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the last contract is Gordon asking you to track down 20 escaped Blackgate prisoners. Kind of a letdown, really.

Yep, that's it. Disappointing, but there's some fun dialogue if you listen before taking them down.

If you've paid extra attention to the dialogue in Arkham City and looked at the walls in a certain cell in the intro, you might have noticed that Calendar Man is going to commit the crime he tells Batman about on Christmas in Arkham City.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Phylodox posted:

This is correct. This unlocks after the main story is complete.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
E: Holy poo poo nevermind. As usual, bitching about something in a public place leads to being able to do it.

:dance: :toot: Perfect Freeflow 2.0 after 2 hours of attempts! :toot: :dance:

E: vvv Yeah, I was on Survival of the Fittest. My memory is really bad, so whenever a thug wouldn't slide ten feet and donkey punch Batman, I'd end up forgetting one move. And it was one of those things were I kept going "Oh god this is the run this is the run wait what didn't I do?!" I almost hosed up that last run. I had one guy left and I had to pause to remember. It was the Aerial Attack. I flattened him, it popped, and the only thing keeping me from letting out a victory yell is the fact it's almost 3AM.

Maybe it was the Redirect causing me to fail, though. Do they count separately? I assumed it would count for Aerial Attack even if you didn't take down the dude you ran up. I was throwing the Quickfire Batclaw in - and it had to come really late and in Focus mode so no one would smack me out of it. Entirely possible +Redirect -Batclaw was the way to go. I was just doing everything I could at that point. I think I worked most of the Quickfire gadgets in, I was so frustrated with it. :v:

God drat, man, that was a hell of a thing. For as aggravating as it was, seeing that achievement pop was the best thing ever.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 5, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah the guides are a bit off. Any moves involving a quickfire gadget go into gadget variation bonus and don't count for the achievement. Pretty sure most guides squeeze a gadget move in because they forget the regular cape stun (hit B once) is also a move, but since you can work off it (go into a beatdown, aerial or ultra stun) it feels like it's only part of a move.

1-Strike (you probably need at least one during freeflow, so after you go to x3)
2-Counter
3-Redirect (evade over an enemy)
4-Cape Stun
5-Beatdown (the former usually blends into the latter, it might also actually mean "Beatdown Takedown")
6-Aerial Attack (do a redirect if there are no shields around, there are no invincibility frames for doing this on anyone else)
7-Instant Combo Takedown (Y+B)
8-Batswarm (A+X)
9-Multibatarang takedown (A+B - this will fail if you have no valid targets and cancels your multiplier in AC)
10-Disarm and Disable (X+Y)
11-Ultra Stun
12-Ground Pound

You probably want to abuse quickfire gadgets in freeflow focus mode (you speed up/they slow down, multiplier is flashing orange) to help get you around, since you can do things like toss 9 batarangs (in AC, you do a triple batarang toss in focus, you already normally can tap up to three times before you need to do something to keep the multiplier up), explosive gel AOE is insane (to help you get an early ground pound out of the way), freeze a couple thugs or REC the whole field for a half decent CC/stun. Quickfire Batarang is alright, but the AOE knockback on the slam during focus has the chance to make you whiff the next attack if you aren't careful.

Honestly the best map is Survival of the Fittest; the only thing to be careful are the electric fences on the sides but otherwise it is a gigantic arena that they just fill with enemies. You get a titan at the end or something. Normal is plenty to get all 12 moves down eventually. I would just squeeze variety into your combat anyway and you'll only ever have to remember to do a few moves to finish the achievement instead.

edit: ^^^ how dare you get the achievement before I post this <3

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, challenge mode has turned me into an absolute monster during the normal campaign. Oh, four armoured guys, two martial artists and a brute? How adorable. :allears:

e; gently caress that Shiva achievement though. I keep getting slapped by someone off-screen which I can't defend against because the camera's shoved against a wall. :byodood:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 5, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Jesus, challenge mode has turned me into an absolute monster during the normal campaign. Oh, four armoured guys, two martial artists and a brute? How adorable. :allears:

e; gently caress that Shiva achievement though. I keep getting slapped by someone off-screen which I can't defend against because the camera's shoved against a wall. :byodood:

Yeah, the camera in Origins is a huge part of the problem with the freeflow combat, I think, on top of the timing issues. In AA and AC the camera was never an annoying problem, even in that optional fight in the last room in AA. In Origins I'm regularly in a large open area and wondering where the gently caress some of the guys are because they're way off-screen somewhere because the camera decided to pan in a retarded direction.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, that achievement can go gently caress itself. It feels completely luck based - getting nipped by a sword from across the screen, a screen which has wedged itself into the roof and decided to spin wildly, does not feel like it's in the spirit of the game. At least with Deathstroke you had a single target and a consistent, reliable angle to fight him with.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Ugh, that achievement can go gently caress itself. It feels completely luck based - getting nipped by a sword from across the screen, a screen which has wedged itself into the roof and decided to spin wildly, does not feel like it's in the spirit of the game. At least with Deathstroke you had a single target and a consistent, reliable angle to fight him with.
Just gotta jump over enemies, punch, repeat, then fire off a takedown ASAP.

edit: the cutscene before the fight starts doesn't help either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sober posted:

Just gotta jump over enemies, punch, repeat, then fire off a takedown ASAP.

edit: the cutscene before the fight starts doesn't help either

Ah, I just don't think it's worth the annoyance. For every smooth flow of combat that goes tits up because of one scuff mark due to the camera, there are five more which don't even get off the ground because of another spasm somewhere. I just prefer to take the hit and beat the poo poo out of Shiva's goons without worrying about an achievement now.

• Locked thread