Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hype
Apr 12, 2011

^ Just sent you an invite. Enjoy! :) I have plenty left if anyone else wants one. Just post your email here or shoot me a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
The new doll from Mystic Kids arrived last month, my Francis model. I'm really impressed with his posing ability - far better than that of 5 Star Doll, but it was around the same price! He has clicky joints that make it really easy to hold the limbs in place.

And the bonus event doll:

Once the semester starts and I can work again, I'm gonna invest in an Obitsu head and body, as well as some pastel chalk pencils and MSC to see if I can't start trying out some face-ups. There's a custom doll I want to achieve for a cosplay accessory, and I figure since I can now style wigs, face-ups are the next logical step.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
So I bought another Bratzillaz doll - these dolls are just too cute. This time it's a Jade J'adore from the Magic Night Out range. Her hair feels really stuck together, what's a good way to get it flowing and soft? Meygana Broomstix needs hair treatment too, it's all tangled.

Still looking for new clothes for them, what ranges will fit? I can't find any custom stuff anywhere.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

QueenOfMistakes posted:

So I bought another Bratzillaz doll - these dolls are just too cute. This time it's a Jade J'adore from the Magic Night Out range. Her hair feels really stuck together, what's a good way to get it flowing and soft? Meygana Broomstix needs hair treatment too, it's all tangled.

Still looking for new clothes for them, what ranges will fit? I can't find any custom stuff anywhere.

For Jade's hair, I'd say shampoo out any of the hair gel they've got in there and then cake on a bunch of conditioner and let that sit overnight. Soaking her hair in fabric softener works as well. Meygana's hair is notoriously bad, in terms of being a tangled mess. I would suggest shampoo/conditioner (or softener) and then some detangling spray or something when it's wet. If it's the Magic Night Out doll, that should be enough.

If it's the basic version, the one with curly hair, you might consider something more drastic, like dipping the hair in simmering to boiling water to straighten it out a bit. If the water is too hot, though, the hair will just get fried. It's a little tricky.

As for clothing, the Bratzillaz bodies make it a little difficult to find clothing from other lines. Their torsos are so squat, and their feet a bit too big. It looks like the normal, newer Bratz dolls might be the best proportionate match.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I don't think that I updated you guys on my quest for girly shoes.

Tyler Wentworth and similarly-sized shoes fit the boys pretty well. It works better if they're closed-toe shoes, since the shoes are longer than the boys' feet. The important thing is that the feet fit in them, really. All I've tried is heels, although sometime I want to get some ballet flats or flat sandals.

Evidence:

Also: Hunter Huntsman (not making that up. i wish), the only Ever After High boy doll so far, fits great into both Barbie-sized and Ken-sized clothes. I'll get some pictures of that together sometime.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I stumbled across this thread last week and remembered that I'd been curious about BJD since reading about them on an artist's blog a few years ago. I promptly went out and bought a couple of MH dolls with the intention of repainting their faces. I haven't done so yet... maybe tomorrow (what's the worst that could happen? If I mess up, I can just wipe 'em off again. Me and my fear of failure)

Anyway, I'm still curious about actual ball-jointed dolls - if anyone has an invitation to Den of Angels, I wouldn't mind poking around there.

edit: Thanks, Sudden Guts Pill!

Etheldreda fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 2, 2014

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
You got yourself an invite!

Couple photos. I went a bit nuts one night and made a lot of fairy kei-style clothes and accessories for my MSDs.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Couple photos. I went a bit nuts one night and made a lot of fairy kei-style clothes and accessories for my MSDs.

Cute!

Does anyone have experience selling a doll? I want to sell my Abio Angel, but I don't know if I'd be better off on eBay or resurrecting my DoA account. Or if there is another, better place?

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Faceup question! I started on my Monster High Draculaura head with the intention of using watercolour pencils (Derwent) after seeing a few tutorials, but... the pencils are not working. They are kind of not leaving any lines behind and I think are just scraping off the sealant. I've resorted to wetting a thin brush, rubbing it on the pencil tip and brushing that onto the doll. That's working OK but I kind of wanted to use the pencils. What's going on?
I'm using Testors Dullcoat sealant; it seemed to be vaguely recommended and I didn't want to spend $20 on Mr. Super Clear. It seems to dry kind of shiny, though?
I let the sealant dry for about an hour before I started with the pencils.

Bonus in-progress picture,

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

milpreve posted:

Cute!

Does anyone have experience selling a doll? I want to sell my Abio Angel, but I don't know if I'd be better off on eBay or resurrecting my DoA account. Or if there is another, better place?

Facebook has a few BJD sales group. BJD Adoption is pretty popular and fast-moving.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Etheldreda posted:

Faceup question! I started on my Monster High Draculaura head with the intention of using watercolour pencils (Derwent) after seeing a few tutorials, but... the pencils are not working. They are kind of not leaving any lines behind and I think are just scraping off the sealant. I've resorted to wetting a thin brush, rubbing it on the pencil tip and brushing that onto the doll. That's working OK but I kind of wanted to use the pencils. What's going on?
I'm using Testors Dullcoat sealant; it seemed to be vaguely recommended and I didn't want to spend $20 on Mr. Super Clear. It seems to dry kind of shiny, though?
I let the sealant dry for about an hour before I started with the pencils.

I don't want to claim to have expertise that I don't, but I was planning to do this too so I've read about it as much as I can. One tip I saw was to dip the tip of the pencil into water to get a bolder color. Also, maybe it doesn't matter, but I was under the impression that the sealant needed to cure for a bit longer than an hour before going over it. I don't know how long it should be, but for some reason I was thinking more along the lines of overnight or something. Again, could totally be wrong. From what I've read, though, the Derwent pencils seem to be good for this application compared to others.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Unoriginal posted:

I don't want to claim to have expertise that I don't, but I was planning to do this too so I've read about it as much as I can. One tip I saw was to dip the tip of the pencil into water to get a bolder color. Also, maybe it doesn't matter, but I was under the impression that the sealant needed to cure for a bit longer than an hour before going over it. I don't know how long it should be, but for some reason I was thinking more along the lines of overnight or something. Again, could totally be wrong. From what I've read, though, the Derwent pencils seem to be good for this application compared to others.

I actually found some Mr. Super Clear at a hobby shop nearby (only $15, too!) and I wasn't happy with my faceup progress, so I wiped it off and restarted using MSC as a sealant. It has a lot more "tooth" so it holds the pencils better. Still not as much as I've seen in some tutorials (maybe my pencil sharpener is just inadequate) so I'm transitioning on to acrylic paints with teeny tiny brushes, which is difficult to say the least! I'm considering whether drinking some wine will steady my hands. The nice older ladies in my free-motion quilting class said it would...

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
haha what the gently caress

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Welp here is Cleo de Nile without her stage makeup on, I guess:

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Hello, I'm interested in joining a local doll club where all the members have ball-jointed dolls. While I do not have any BJDs, I do have a couple of Real Dolls lying around my house. Would those be okay to show off all dressed up and nice for the local doll club? Please be aware that I am not into Real Dolls for the "sex value" or whatever other base thing other men are into, I am into them because I want to make pretty designs on them. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Wow, you really showed us. :rolleyes:

Sorry for disappearing for so long. My doll's headcap got stuck back in October and I really haven't done anything with him since. Nice to see that some people are still posting, though!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I really need to work on my Kamau. I've had him since like 2010 or something and never did much more than mod on some elf ears. They look pretty nice though.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

milpreve posted:

Cute!

Which Abio sculpt? I've hoping to find a reasonably priced Er in the DoA marketplace but no luck yet.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Casca posted:

Which Abio sculpt? I've hoping to find a reasonably priced Er in the DoA marketplace but no luck yet.

Shi, with a custom freckled faceup.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Is Amazon a good retailer to look into getting one of these or is it more of a gamble/rip off? I've always enjoyed working with models and I've loved figures since I was a kid and I am very interested in working on a doll as a side project. I'm not sure if my local area has any hobby shops that would carry products like these (I do live in the South after all haha) so I'm just curious if anyone has any personal recommendations. Thanks!

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Etheldreda posted:

Welp here is Cleo de Nile without her stage makeup on, I guess:

She looks great! The natural look is nice in its own way. Dramatic makeup looks don't always come across well in the daylight anyway!

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007

Space Bat posted:

Is Amazon a good retailer to look into getting one of these or is it more of a gamble/rip off? I've always enjoyed working with models and I've loved figures since I was a kid and I am very interested in working on a doll as a side project. I'm not sure if my local area has any hobby shops that would carry products like these (I do live in the South after all haha) so I'm just curious if anyone has any personal recommendations. Thanks!

I've never used Amazon to buy, mainly auctions and retailer websites. I've never gotten a fake even buying on Yahoo!Japan.

I've not seen many BJDs or foreign dolls for sale at general retailers in the South. Lately I've seen a few Pullip dolls at Tuesday Morning and at comic/game stores (some Pullips are on Amazon). Liv dolls are still at some Big Lots. Monster High is everywhere it seems. You could also check local listings for doll shops and call and ask.

If you want a totally clean slate doll, Amazon does carry Obitsu parts. I have no experience with those, but I know that they are popular because of the lower prices and customizablity. Then it is just a matter of finding some sealant, acrylic paint, watercolor pencils, chalk pastels, fake eyelashes, wigs, eyeballs, etc. to create what you want.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

harmless_fun posted:

I've never used Amazon to buy, mainly auctions and retailer websites. I've never gotten a fake even buying on Yahoo!Japan.

I've not seen many BJDs or foreign dolls for sale at general retailers in the South. Lately I've seen a few Pullip dolls at Tuesday Morning and at comic/game stores (some Pullips are on Amazon). Liv dolls are still at some Big Lots. Monster High is everywhere it seems. You could also check local listings for doll shops and call and ask.

If you want a totally clean slate doll, Amazon does carry Obitsu parts. I have no experience with those, but I know that they are popular because of the lower prices and customizablity. Then it is just a matter of finding some sealant, acrylic paint, watercolor pencils, chalk pastels, fake eyelashes, wigs, eyeballs, etc. to create what you want.

Thanks, I'll check my local Tuesday Mornings, but now that you mention it maybe I'll start with a clean slate. I wanted to make a doll for SO and I wouldn't mind trying my hand at working from scratch.

Edit: Just ordered one (from Amazon)! Can't wait for it to get here!

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 24, 2014

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

I got my doll today! I'm so excited! Here's a trip report:

First off, here he is in the box. I'm a little miffed with the box's quality. I wasn't expecting perfect condition but this is a little too bumped around for my tastes.

Here's another shot of him. I can't wait to make him into a cute cat princess :3:

:nws: Warning Nude doll!!

[Edit: There used to be links to pictures of some guy cranking one out into the mouth of a dragon doll here.]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
great thanks

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Space Bat posted:

I got my doll today! I'm so excited! Here's a trip report:

First off, here he is in the box. I'm a little miffed with the box's quality. I wasn't expecting perfect condition but this is a little too bumped around for my tastes.

Here's another shot of him. I can't wait to make him into a cute cat princess :3:

:nws: Warning Nude doll!!

Very nice :monocle:

Are you gonna open it or just leave it in case?

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I got a Resinsoul Rong and painted her more-or-less successfully. The wig I got for her was too big so I decided to make my own, and went all out with buying and hand-dyeing mohair with food colouring. The first dye batch went kind of weird so I overdyed the lot. I've finally finished the wig, and it looks decent... but it's a gluey mess on top, not sure what to do about the part-line.

Anyway, here's the doll!

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Mild thread resurrection to post my second faceup attempt. This is a Dollstown Soyu head.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Very nice! I love dolls with freckles.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Etheldreda posted:

Mild thread resurrection to post my second faceup attempt. This is a Dollstown Soyu head.

Man, better than any of my attempts at faceups ever came out. And I love that the freckles actually look like freckles and not like it's just dirty or super unnatural.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Thanks! The freckles were oddly not too hard to do (because it was easy to wipe off failed dots, heh). The photo has made everything else look kinda grainier than it is. The lips were the hardest part because I couldn't wipe off failures from the inside of the lips. I need to find a new tool to get in there with some amount of precision.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
My friend gave me a small ball jointed doll years ago and I let it sit in a drawer for years because I can't sew and was afraid to touch it. I had an idea a few days ago on what to do with it and now I've got a doll in the mail and a naked Monster High doll on my desk. Help.

Etheldreda posted:

Those freckles look awesome.

Intoner
Oct 3, 2014

I'm not teasing you.. I'm murdering you!
I'm still pretty new on the forums and found my way here from the "Ask me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys"-thread and I'm honestly happy to see some non-crazy BJD collectors.

I have a few Dollfie Dreams myself and have to say that I find the ways some other collectors talk about (or even with) their dolls a little strange. They're sources for creativity and sometimes real works of art.

It's also really cool that many users here do the face ups for their dolls themselves. I've been thinking about doing this too, but I'm too scared about using wrong materials for it and ruining the vinyl or inhaling poisonous MSC. So compliments to all of you :)

I'm looking forward to see more pieces of work here in the future.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Intoner posted:

I'm still pretty new on the forums and found my way here from the "Ask me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys"-thread and I'm honestly happy to see some non-crazy BJD collectors.

I have a few Dollfie Dreams myself and have to say that I find the ways some other collectors talk about (or even with) their dolls a little strange. They're sources for creativity and sometimes real works of art.

It's also really cool that many users here do the face ups for their dolls themselves. I've been thinking about doing this too, but I'm too scared about using wrong materials for it and ruining the vinyl or inhaling poisonous MSC. So compliments to all of you :)

I'm looking forward to see more pieces of work here in the future.

Heh, I hate how my attempts at faceups have gone, the only one I like is actually on my pukipuki, and it was done by the manufacturer. I was very happy that I was able to request that they use the eyebrow style from the pukipuki Sugar on Pongpong but other than that it's just default.

I had to go digging through things to find these pictures (slightly better than potato quality):

(The terrible eyebrows are the most visible thing when you make that pic full-size, the rest of it really isn't much better.)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Considering it has been over a year since I've done anything with my dolls I'm thinking of selling them. It's been so long I can't even remember what types they are. I know one's a Pukifee and the other a Minifee? I think?

They're lovely dolls but I really don't have the time for this anymore. :smith:

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I should sell the couple that I never got around to painting... but when I think of all the annoyance involved in trying to pack them up, find somewhere with a scale so I can estimate correct shipping, probably haggling with people, etc... bleah.

Then again I cycle crafts a few times a year, so maybe I'll get super excited about faceups again in a few months...

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
I don't do dolls, exactly, because they really make me nervous, but I love tiny things. This has lead me to get into scale miniatures for dollhouses and things like that. I usually work in 1:6 scale which I think might be around the right size for most BJDs if I recall. I've sortof been searching the forums for awhile for any threads that are on topic with no luck. Can I post stuff here or is there a better place for it?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Personally I'd think it'd be okay for you to post here about it. Two of my dolls are 1/4 and 1/3 scales, I'm not really sure what scale my tiny is. I've seen scale knitting for tinies and holy poo poo those are some tiny-rear end needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
Wonderful! I've tried my hand at tiny knitting but I just used toothpicks and it's not that nice looking.

I also make tiny terrariums.

• Locked thread