Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
GOP operatives infiltrate software development firm to sabotage high profile Democratic health insurance marketplace, more at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My friend was showing off his fat cable pipe TWC finally gave him through join.me and showed me his work's server.

It was Server 2013

It had the Metro UI :staredog:

A touchscreen based UI for a server? The only people who could appreciate that are people VNCing through a tablet, in which case it's still more efficient to use a more bare bones UI.

mewse
May 2, 2006

skooma512 posted:

A touchscreen based UI for a server?

Steve Ballmer was on some really powerful drugs when they made this decision. Win 8, Office 2013 and Server 2013 are all steaming piles of crap

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

My friend was showing off his fat cable pipe TWC finally gave him through join.me and showed me his work's server.

It was Server 2013

It had the Metro UI :staredog:

A touchscreen based UI for a server? The only people who could appreciate that are people VNCing through a tablet, in which case it's still more efficient to use a more bare bones UI.

I thought the point of server 2013 is you generally would never actually install it with a UI at all? Given it's Win8 codebase, I'm not surprised the UI is 'modern', I'm just surprised it was installed by whoever set the server up.

*-not a server admin

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

I thought the point of server 2013 is you generally would never actually install it with a UI at all? Given it's Win8 codebase, I'm not surprised the UI is 'modern', I'm just surprised it was installed by whoever set the server up.

*-not a server admin
There is no 2013, it'll be 2012 or 2012 R2

This is right, you're supposed to give it a core install (which has no GUI) and manage it remotely.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unhelpfully though all MS TechNet videos show people RDPd into a server with the desktop installed, and a lot of applications don't know what to do if they run into a Core install.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I hate it when people don't bother to read their e-mails before sending one out. Or check outage notifications or anything like that.

Background: I work as senior agent(I support regular agents, do monitoring and occasionally trainings) in a callcenter on a project for an ISP/phone/TV provider(outsourced helpdesk basically, and there's a few other companies involved as well as the main provider itself) and we're spread across two locations. The one I'm in is virtually all Dutch-speaking people, the other one is mainly French-speaking people with a few Dutch people thrown in.

Yesterday we were confronted with a pretty major outage that was quite difficult to localize. Normal procedure is to inform the seniors of issues you may encounter, but there's also a notification/ticket system keeping track of outages and their status. Due to the outage being difficult to localize we asked people to send in account numbers for reporting purposes(Normal procedure for any suspected outage) to send to the ISP to investigate.

Not too long after that we got an outage confirmation along with some basic instructions sent via e-mail in French and English(followed by me translating it to Dutch, which wasn't really required since everybody who speaks Dutch also speaks English, or they could ask me directly)

I made sure the teams in our location were fully informed of what was going on, steps to undertake, information to give to customers and everything.

More than an hour after the notifications were sent out I STILL got e-mails from the French side reporting outages and asking what to do. Rather than just sending it to a separate mailbox set up for this purpose, they were all sent to the distribution list for the entire project. Normal agents pretty much don't need this information at all as they can't do anything with it other than delete the mails.

And of course after the issue was solved and we again got mails with information and instructions, they didn't stop sending in reports that it worked again.

Every single time there's a major outage this poo poo happens: Mine and everyone else's mailbox gets flooded with what amounts to spam, especially since quite a few people on the French side feel the need to Reply All to this stuff with their own remarks and comments.

This is besides the regular distribution list spam about funny names or e-mailaddresses, news and people wondering when their paycheck is coming in.

I've got a bunch of rules set up to make cleanup easier, but the downside is that it means I still have to check every single e-mail in case it's relevant and was just sent to the wrong distribution list, which also happens quite often.

On the Dutch side this barely ever happens because we tell people in person to stop doing that and inform them of the right mailboxes.

Not much of an issue during normal business, but whenever there's an outage this is dialled up to 11 and is just annoying as all hell.

I've got a meeting scheduled in two weeks where I'm considering bringing this up in an effort to reduce junk but I don't think it'll be very effective(I get about 200 mails per day, over half of which are useless)

We also have one French-speaking union representative who's very vocal about just about everything, and who when someone asked for a Dutch or English translation of an ongoing conversation responded with a diatribe in French on how it's a multicultural company and that should be respected and English is not one of this country's languages and not everybody speaks it so how dare you suggest that I should use it and why don't you just learn to speak/read French.

I was tempted to respond in German(Also one of the three national languages) saying that he wasn't showing much respect by refusing to speak Dutch, especially considering his position but I felt that would have only made it worse.

I need a new job with less bullshit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah but on the plus side you have nice beer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think I finally discovered why my HTPC would keep going to sleep despite triple checking every setting in an effort to have it always-on to receive notifications from my downloader: the goddamn "dim display after: xx minutes" setting.

Going to chalk it up to Toshiba having wonderful bios programmers and interpreting every signal from windows as a trigger to sleep the system

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Caged posted:

Yeah but on the plus side you have nice beer.

Unfortunately nice beer does not make up for some of the people I have to deal with.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Should i be offended by a ~4% bonus?

This being the first time since escaping the public sector i have nothing for use as a reference.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fluppet posted:

This being the first time since escaping the public sector i have nothing for use as a reference.

Bonus or raise? Is it a bonus of your total salary for the year?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fluppet posted:

I have never received a bonus of any size and my raises have always been 3%. But that was at a place known for being stingy.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Bonus or raise? Is it a bonus of your total salary for the year?

Bonus, pay review is in march/april

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fluppet posted:

I wouldn't be insulted with a bonus at all. That's pretty rad you got one! Congrats!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

fluppet posted:

Depends on the circumstances. If it's specifically for you, I would probably be happy about it. If it's a "bonus" for everyone in the entire company, I wouldn't be insulted, but I wouldn't be particularly flattered.

I got an everybody-gets-a-bonus bonus once. My boss told my co-worker that I wouldn't be getting anything because I hadn't been there a year yet, and of course my co-worker passed that information along to me so I wouldn't be blindsided when everyone else got a cheque and I didn't. Then my boss called me in to his office and told me that I would be getting a bonus! It was half of what most people were getting because I hadn't been there a year yet, but it was better than nothing!

So yeah, my boss manipulated my co-worker into putting me into a particular frame of mind so that the boss could swoop in and look like a hero. And yes, despite how conspiracy-theory it sounds, I'm 100% positive that this was the intention, based on continuously observed patterns of behavior.

So for me, I was somewhat insulted. But congratulations to you all the same, especially if it was an individual thing.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
On-call this weekend.

Architect:

- Had VDI admin deploy all 30 VMs thin-provisioned on a datastore and LUN that could only handle 15.
- Ran a security agent install on the VMs, which increased the disk footprint by 60GB. Datastore only had 45 remaining.
- Ran an untested per-host security audit against the entire MPLS network during business hours, crushing all of our T1 locations.
- Didn't tell the department or the company about any of this.
- Wouldn't respond to any calls, texts or pages.

I disconnected his audit host and disabled his AD, VPN and vCenter accounts. I'm in no mood for this kind of poo poo.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BurgerQuest posted:

*-not a server admin

You can switch back and forth from the core install and GUI if you're more comfortable using the latter to make changes. I've only had a play about on a lab server, but I don't think the GUI is that bad (2012 R2).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fluppet posted:

Not at all.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

You can switch back and forth from the core install and GUI if you're more comfortable using the latter to make changes. I've only had a play about on a lab server, but I don't think the GUI is that bad (2012 R2).

It's a one way path, afaik. If you install the GUI version you can switch to the core interface but if you install core you can't get the GUI.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fluppet posted:

The answer is "it depends." You kind of need to gauge the bonus rate against the company. Samsung, for example, gave extremely generous bonuses in good times with the explicit understanding that if times are bad, no one gets bonuses but that money goes into not laying off people.

My viewpoint is a little skewed since I'm now conditioned to expect large bonuses from the work I do and workplaces I've been, so I would consider 4% insulting, but some previous jobs didn't give bonuses at all, so it definitely varies.

Look at the bonuses in terms of your total compensation, and in regards to how the company is doing. If you weren't promised any bonuses during your recruiting phase, be pleasantly surprised, but most of all ask your coworkers what is typical. This could very well be a good bonus for your job/employer.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pissing me off: Venezuela.

Apparently there's an ongoing situation where the Venezuelan government is shutting down access to websites that discuss the currency situation (hint: it's not good), even going so far as to block bit.ly for linking to sites that discuss the discrepancy between the official BsF <-> USD exchange rate and the "parallell" rate. I run a bunch of classified ad websites, one of them targeted for the Venezuelan market. The problem showed up as "We just lost 99% of our traffic from Venezuela". First we thought that the major ISP had poo poo itself from what we could glean from twitter, but then local contacts clued us in to the government blackholing our site.

Since we displayed prices for some things (notably, cars) in USD, we had to remove the USD prices from the site, and actually just remove price information altogether from cars and trucks. That didn't seem to be enough, and the solutions for getting us unblocked came down to "switching to a new domain name and IP" or "bribe the government". Solution was basically:

First, get the domain under a new TLD (I actually had one lying around), reconfigure the site to show the new domain/brand name everywhere and get the graphic assets updated. (This was actually pretty fast)

Second, get a new IPv4 block non-contiguous with our old allocation from RIPE, get it routed to my network and configured in PF and Relayd. My ISP contact loved hearing "I'm blocked in a country, I need a new netblock ASAP".

Third, get new SSL certificates. Remarkably the one on my servers was easy to get and the domain verification step didn't involve weird steps to prove I owned a domain on a TLD where the registrar only updates WHOIS info once in a blue moon. Unfortunately our Akamai SSL certificate is a huge EV-SAN cert and getting new domains added to it is a buerocratic exercise despite promise to the contrary, so time to get a new CDN set up temporarily.

Fourth, set up amazon cloudfront ("I have the company credit card info and tacit boss approval, let's set up AWS despite never having touched it before in anger") since they had coverage in south america and I could set it up without involving salespeople. Except when I pushed the button my origin server for images almost melted due to the IO load. Apparently Cloudfront doesn't do what Akamai does and first try to fetch from other edge nodes before hitting the origin. It was also 5pm on friday so after seeing that despite loadavg being about 100 it was responsive and just complaining because it was trying to push ALL the IOPS to a VMDK backed by 2x1GbE iSCSI.

Did I mention this was all done on Friday? I've now spent the weekend setting up Varnish (which I've never touched before) to protect the image server for this site and another that's showing the same issues. .I swear it's load balancers all the way down, CDN -> VRRP -> CARP -> relayd -> Varnish -> apache (And I think I need to go through nginx after relayd on a couple other sites for added hilarity.)

At least I finally have a new netblock out of the deal, which is good since my /29 was getting cramped.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Those are the mcafee management tools.

Wait, is he saying that the US Military uses McAfee?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

frogbert posted:

Wait, is he saying that the US Military uses McAfee?

No he said half the US military's servers are running out of date mcafee. ;)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

It's a one way path, afaik. If you install the GUI version you can switch to the core interface but if you install core you can't get the GUI.

You can reinstall the GUI with powershell.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
Or with SConfig:

http://www.howtogeek.com/111967/how-to-turn-the-gui-off-and-on-in-windows-server-2012/

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Pissing me off:

An entire team quit a few months ago overseas, but rather than hiring people they suggested we "volunteer" to work those shifts from here in the US (working from home) EST. We were also volunteered to work a new shift that goes up to 8pm. For who knows how long, my work schedule is rotated every 2 weeks as follows:

9am to 5pm
12pm to 8pm
2am to 10am

Not sure how my body is going to handle this in the long term, but so far it has been brutal.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If it's rotated every two weeks, that's manageable. But I hope you're getting some drat good compensation for those hours (especially the night shift).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I just love how the project managers can slough off their jobs on the engineers with a straight face.

"We can't do visios. We're not technical. It'd be much better if the engineers did it."

"We can't really run customer meetings because we're not technical. The engineers will have to do that."

and then, on Friday:

"We really can't keep track of work orders to other groups because we're not technical. The engineers should keep track of work orders because they are technical."

Just what would you say that it is that you do here?

Their days are numbered. The project managers from The Mothership at least do the specific tasks that a project manager should do. They do them sometimes halfway decently, too.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jeoh posted:

If it's rotated every two weeks, that's manageable. But I hope you're getting some drat good compensation for those hours (especially the night shift).

If by "manageable" you mean that he'll be able to get used to one schedule right before he has to switch to the next. I would call it a minor hell, myself.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
LogMeIn Free is going away. Fucksticks.

Any other recommendations for good free cross-platform remote access clients you can happily leave running without poking holes in your firewall and farting around with port forwarding? It's only for home, so I'm not paying.

VNC-over-SSH tunnelling on a forwarded port on some random number and trying to find a "no-ip" type service that is actually reliable (I have a dynamic IP) seems to be the most likely way so far, as much as I preferred not having to do any of that. The latter is always the stumbling block. They'll be fine for a couple of weeks then just stop updating.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 3, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TeamViewer seems to be the go-to replacement for a lot of people here.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Caged posted:

TeamViewer seems to be the go-to replacement for a lot of people here.

Ta. Yeah - it's a bit sketchy in terms of "cross platform" (it uses WINE) but it's looking like a good enough option.

Edit: Sorry if it's a bit "LMGTFY" but I trust you lot to know the best option a lot more than I trust Google.
imPCRemote looks like a possibility as well, though.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 3, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've used TeamViewer on my Mac to support my parents running Windows and it's worked perfectly. I've also done some Mac to Mac stuff and that worked nicely as well.

Not done Windows to Mac.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Tailored Sauce posted:

Pissing me off:

An entire team quit a few months ago overseas, but rather than hiring people they suggested we "volunteer" to work those shifts from here in the US (working from home) EST. We were also volunteered to work a new shift that goes up to 8pm. For who knows how long, my work schedule is rotated every 2 weeks as follows:

9am to 5pm
12pm to 8pm
2am to 10am

Not sure how my body is going to handle this in the long term, but so far it has been brutal.

Being on this schedule long term has been shown to have health effects, not to mention the impact to your social life. The good news is you will have time to interview during the day.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

nitrogen posted:

I just love how the project managers can slough off their jobs on the engineers with a straight face.

"We can't do visios. We're not technical. It'd be much better if the engineers did it."

"We can't really run customer meetings because we're not technical. The engineers will have to do that."

and then, on Friday:

"We really can't keep track of work orders to other groups because we're not technical. The engineers should keep track of work orders because they are technical."

Just what would you say that it is that you do here?

Their days are numbered. The project managers from The Mothership at least do the specific tasks that a project manager should do. They do them sometimes halfway decently, too.

That sounds like a "Sure, is it in my job description? No? Am I getting a raise then?" type of situation.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Caged posted:

I've used TeamViewer on my Mac to support my parents running Windows and it's worked perfectly. I've also done some Mac to Mac stuff and that worked nicely as well.

Not done Windows to Mac.

Mostly using a combination of Linux and Mac at home. The Linux WINE-ified client is a little rough around the edges, but it works, which is the main thing :)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

That sounds like a "Sure, is it in my job description? No? Am I getting a raise then?" type of situation.

Boss responded with "Duties as Required" and basically told me to STFU.

The way I see it, is, its just this group writing its own death warrant. There are a lot of other BS going on with this group, including demanding that we do about $250k worth of work (not including purchasing infrastructure for a customer on our dime) without a contract, when the contract ended up getting modified significantly before getting signed, requiring much of the work we did to get re-done.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Using "duties as required" to get you doing someone elses' job is a loving colossal stretch of what that clause is supposed to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Caged posted:

Using "duties as required" to get you doing someone elses' job is a loving colossal stretch of what that clause is supposed to cover.

Agreed, but the problem is, when they did it, it'd be completely hosed up,and i'd have to spend more time either fixing their fuckups or documenting their fuckups for them to fix.

I am reasonably sure it's a play by my management to get rid of the group we currently have that cannot do anything. Document their incompetence, and BAM.

I am pretty sure that the project management group from The Mothership will take over their function within 3-6 months. The project managers from The Mothership are still horrible, but they can do these functions of their job properly at any rate. I just wish people had the balls to say, "You're terrible, you're fired." but shrug.