Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Which goes under first: COTA or Indycar? :v:

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

The only real cool thing about CotA is the elevation change, that owns. The rest is new and shiny and modern, so it seems cooler than it is, but outside of those two things it's never going to be on the level of Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, the Glen etc. etc.

It's a solid road course but way over-hyped, and I don't know that it can sustain itself when F1 inevitably pulls out.

e- though when they tear it down it will take the thread less than a year (myself included) to start remembering races fondly like we do other mediocre tracks such as North Wilkesboro

Everybody does this, unless the track is absolutely terrible (Caesar's Palace)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think we should never mention COTA in this thread ever again, unless Indycar is actually racing there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

animeliker posted:

Everybody does this, unless the track is absolutely terrible (Caesar's Palace)

I don't see many people reminiscing about Valencia or Yeongam.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I have a theory about what makes F1-style tracks bad. Let's see if you agree with it:

The terribleness of a track is directly proportional to its width.*

*Unless the entire track is an airport, in which case the inverse is true.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If concrete run-off is included in track width, I agree.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

The only real cool thing about CotA is the elevation change, that owns. The rest is new and shiny and modern, so it seems cooler than it is, but outside of those two things it's never going to be on the level of Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, the Glen etc. etc.

It's a solid road course but way over-hyped, and I don't know that it can sustain itself when F1 inevitably pulls out.

e- though when they tear it down it will take the thread less than a year (myself included) to start remembering races fondly like we do other mediocre tracks such as North Wilkesboro

Laguna Seca is a terrible layout. Its like log flume, a very boring slow rise of isolated corners to the one interesting part.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I feel like I just walked into bizarro-land where all y’all are bitching about a new, and also awesome, road course that was built in the middle of the US. All the races I’ve seen (on TV) so far have been above average as road courses go and the drivers and the people actually there all seem really positive about it. Thank Christ a new road course got built in the states, I hope as many series’ as possible run there.

And Laguna Seca is loving amazing (except the getting in and out of it part)and I won’t hear anything else about it. But it always was and always will be a motorcycle track first. :colbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

poopzilla posted:

I feel like I just walked into bizarro-land where all y’all are bitching about a new, and also awesome, road course that was built in the middle of the US. All the races I’ve seen (on TV) so far have been above average as road courses go and the drivers and the people actually there all seem really positive about it. Thank Christ a new road course got built in the states, I hope as many series’ as possible run there.

You think this is bad you should see me bitch about Barber!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Monticello Motor Club is how American road courses should be built, CotA seems like they airlifted a track here from Europe. It looks artificial, and the truly great American road courses have a common theme of all more or less looking like features of the natural landscape.

I think that's my personal reason for disliking CotA.

Uncle Jam posted:

Laguna Seca is a terrible layout. Its like log flume, a very boring slow rise of isolated corners to the one interesting part.

You gotta admit, though, that one interesting part is extra interesting.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

Monticello Motor Club is how American road courses should be built, CotA seems like they airlifted a track here from Europe. It looks artificial, and the truly great American road courses have a common theme of all more or less looking like features of the natural landscape.

I think that's my personal reason for disliking CotA.

I think that's just the natural progression of new racing tracks with seating capacity, safety standards etc. Ovals here were more part of the natural landscape and now it just cookie cutter hell. Old European roadcourses were the same way, its just that there are so few people building new roadcourses in the US you don't really get that transformation.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

My ideal vision is to have NASCAR/Sportscars run Sears Point, and have Indy run at Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca and why it's cool/important to IndyCar racing:

-Has a straight named after Bobby Rahal
-Served as the "Championship Round" for the sport from 1989 to 1996
-Has hosted some form of an "Open Wheel Race" (gently caress it grouping Can-Am in this) from 1960 to 2004
-Racer winners have included the following: Stirling Moss, Roger Penske, Phil Hill, Bruce McLaren, Mark Donohue, Mario Andretti, Bobby Rahal, Al Unser, Al Unser Jr., Bobby Rahal, Danny Sullivan, Michael Andretti, Paul Tracy, Gil De Ferren, Alex Zanardi, Jimmy Vasser, and Helio Castroneves.

And most importantly:

-THE PASS, THE PASS, THE PASS, THE PASS, THE PASS! THE loving PASS! ALEX ZANARADI IS AWESOME, AS IS THE CORKSCREW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have never liked Sears Point at all.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I thought the Corkscrew was the best thing in the world. Then I saw the downhill run at Mount Panorama for the first time, and I was like :tviv:

I still get a tingly feeling when I see a line of motorcycles plow down the 'Screw on the first lap, though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

WindyMan posted:

I thought the Corkscrew was the best thing in the world. Then I saw the downhill run at Mount Panorama for the first time, and I was like :tviv:

I still get a tingly feeling when I see a line of motorcycles plow down the 'Screw on the first lap, though.

Yeah its not a bad motorcycle track, I'll admit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I have never liked Sears Point at all.

Yeah, its a better actual race track than Laguna but with like zero of Laguna's _-~*soul*~-_

I've never really liked Mid Ohio. It seems like an awesome track to drive and it's got a lot of the things I love about tracks, but actually watching the races run there has never done much for me.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Yeah, its a better actual race track than Laguna but with like zero of Laguna's _-~*soul*~-_

I've never really liked Mid Ohio. It seems like an awesome track to drive and it's got a lot of the things I love about tracks, but actually watching the races run there has never done much for me.

Mid-Ohio is a track you really have to be at physically to understand it's "mystique".

It's very cool to walk around, see the various sections (Turn 1, The Keyhole, Turn 4, Thunder Valley) and how the drivers adjust to them.

It has a "Camping site" vibe to it, which I imagine Road America has as well. Not to mention the surroundings are actually very beautiful.

On TV? Yeah it's boring as hell. You miss pretty much everything about it that makes it a unique circuit.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Mid-Ohio is a track you really have to be at physically to understand it's "mystique".

It's very cool to walk around, see the various sections (Turn 1, The Keyhole, Turn 4, Thunder Valley) and how the drivers adjust to them.

It has a "Camping site" vibe to it, which I imagine Road America has as well. Not to mention the surroundings are actually very beautiful.

On TV? Yeah it's boring as hell. You miss pretty much everything about it that makes it a unique circuit.

Agreed. You also really don't get a good feel for the elevation changes at Mid-Ohio on TV. The Madness section is pretty steep, and it's a nice little climb going up into the keyhole.

EDIT: Not really (and by that I mean not at all) designed with open wheel in mind, but I think it would be cool to have a race at Road Atlanta.

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2014

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/23/indycar-simona-de-silvestro-still-pursuing-sponsorship-for-2014-season/

Simona currently doesn't have a seat for the upcoming season, from what I can see...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

She needs a ride but I have a bad feeling that she won't get one this year and gently caress any team that doesn't give her a ride.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

front wing flexing posted:

The only thing that's true in your post is that it's basically in a desert. But a lot of race tracks are in the desert.

The entire frontstretch complex (hard left onto the straight which starts a climb 2/3rds of the way down with a hard left at the end) was ripped off from Laguna Seca. It's a mishmash of "things that worked on other tracks so let's make a highlight reel".

Peanut President posted:

You think this is bad you should see me bitch about Barber!

Barber is A Bad Track and there are tons of tracks which should have its date. I hate that track for both Rolex (USCR) and Indy.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 4, 2014

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Barber is A Bad Track and there are tons of tracks which should have its date. I hate that track for both Rolex (USCR) and Indy.

THIS. Is there really no other road course in the south that's available that time of year? Sebring would be cool.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

THIS. Is there really no other road course in the south that's available that time of year? Sebring would be cool.

We could just go oval?

Atlanta and Charlotte seem like they'd be good to see some Indy Car racing at.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

George Zimmer posted:

None with a Honda plant nearby.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's a loving travesty that Simona has no ride.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

We could just go oval?

I'm not opposed.

gret posted:

None with a Honda plant nearby.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CBJSprague24 posted:

The entire frontstretch complex (hard left onto the straight which starts a climb 2/3rds of the way down with a hard left at the end) was ripped off from Laguna Seca. It's a mishmash of "things that worked on other tracks so let's make a highlight reel".

It was literally two rich guys drawing poo poo on looseleaf in a kitchen, and then they made Tilke build facilities around it. In a way its awesome because if I had that much money and building a track I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone else design the layout for me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

We could just go oval?

I think they're pretty gun shy from adding more mile and a halfers after the Wheldon incident and especially not ones as steep as Atlanta and Charlotte. Texas is probably their threshold for the number of those ovals.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's a loving travesty that Simona has no ride.

Only thing I can think of if she does TUSC or something else for the year. There were not top flight or even mid flight teams open for her to go. Hey Don Panoz, get a 2nd DeltaWing put Kat Legge, Simona, and that chick in the Conti series that won in the BMW. Bring back the all women team that 1991 Le Mans had... and paint the car fleshy pink color... for certain reasons we can laugh at.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

It was literally two rich guys drawing poo poo on looseleaf in a kitchen, and then they made Tilke build facilities around it. In a way its awesome because if I had that much money and building a track I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone else design the layout for me.

That's literally how all race tracks are made. Who do you think builds race tracks? Bored rich people do.

edit: and not at you, but :lol: at "the front straight of CotA is the same as Laguna." Hard left onto the straight, ok. But then CotA goes straight up into the sky for the hard left back. Laguna dives down into a hellish double apex that is the bain of my vidja game/fantasy career.

edit 2: I fuckin' love Turn 2! that horrid bitch...

poopzilla fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 4, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like Bama, sry. :shrug:

And Simona hasn't done enough to be qualified as a 'travesty' if she can't get a ride.

Hell yeah, too unpopular opinions in one post.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LordPants posted:

I think they're pretty gun shy from adding more mile and a halfers after the Wheldon incident and especially not ones as steep as Atlanta and Charlotte. Texas is probably their threshold for the number of those ovals.

I do wonder if we'll ever see Kansas, Kentucky and Chicagoland back on the schedule someday soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do wonder if we'll ever see Kansas, Kentucky and Chicagoland back on the schedule someday soon.

I do think that given the way the new car races they should.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some silly season updates from Pruett. Not a lot of breaking news, looks like pretty much the same total count as last year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar-chevy-honda-weigh-in-on-2014-car-counts/article/332648/

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Cygni posted:

I like Bama, sry. :shrug:

And Simona hasn't done enough to be qualified as a 'travesty' if she can't get a ride.

Hell yeah, too unpopular opinions in one post.

Maybe unpopular but correct.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

As the creator of the thread title, anyone that isn't madly in love with Simona can :frogout:.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

gret posted:

anyone that isn't madly in love with Simona can :frogout:.

I am emptyquoting this

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

gret posted:

As the creator of the thread title, anyone that isn't madly in love with Simona can :frogout:.

Agreed, not only is she a far better driver than Danica, she's also cuter and I'm sure her personality is far better.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Comparison to Danica, comments on her looks, truly spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2014-02-04-indycar-boss-optimistic-he-can-land-big-name-sponsors/PARAMS/post/45979

Verizon IndyCar World Series anyone?

• Locked thread