Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
I live in West Siberia. My city - Tomsk. Tomsk called Siberian Athens. The city was started 7 October 1604 year, because Boris Godunov ordered Gavrila Pisemsky and Vasil Tyrkova build a fortress on the banks of the river Tom.
I can tell about Altai, Sayan, Kuznetsk Alatau. I traveled through the Altai and Sayan, Khakassia.

I only teach English because I apologize in advance for any errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I had a coworker who grew up in Norilsk and he said the best part about Siberia was the outdoors and hunting/hiking. How is the area around Tomsk?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Dusseldorf posted:

I had a coworker who grew up in Norilsk and he said the best part about Siberia was the outdoors and hunting/hiking. How is the area around Tomsk?

The area around Tomsk are forest,rivers and lakes. Hunting, hiking, fishing developed strongly.
But Altai and Sayan better than area around Tomsk. Mountain Altai and Sayan have many remote locations away from civilization. Known nature reserve Ergaki is located in Sayan.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Can you post some pictures?

Cwmagain
Jul 30, 2011

Caffeine only diet leads to paranoia and... the shakes!
How do you clothe yourself against the cold there? Double layers? What about shoes?

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009
What kind of fresh produce can you get? How much does it cost?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

pigdog posted:

Can you post some pictures?

This is Mountain Altai.Aktru.

Seen camp for climbers

joke

Mountain Altai. Kurai steppe.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 3, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Cwmagain posted:

How do you clothe yourself against the cold there? Double layers? What about shoes?

What clothes to wear depends on the weather. If the air temperature to 5 °F (-15°C), wear light baselayer and a jacket and pants (or skirt) insulated Thinsulate or wool. Or wear a fur coat. Shoes insulated fur, wool or Thinsulate. If the temperature is below 5 °F (-15°C), wear wool socks and wool baselayer.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How cold is it.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Sorry

Cwmagain
Jul 30, 2011

Caffeine only diet leads to paranoia and... the shakes!

utjkju posted:

What clothes to wear depends on the weather. If the air temperature to 5 °F (-15°C), wear light baselayer and a jacket and pants (or skirt) insulated Thinsulate or wool. Or wear a fur coat. Shoes insulated fur, wool or Thinsulate. If the temperature is below 5 °F (-15°C), wear wool socks and wool baselayer.

Gloves needed? What about an Ушанка? I'm going to Russia soon and need to know how not to freeze :-)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Darryl Lict posted:

What kind of fresh produce can you get? How much does it cost?

I can buy fruits and vegetables, meat, milk, curd, eggs, fish.
For example, apples cost 1 $ 28 cents, carrots cost 71 сents, onion 34 cents.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Mans posted:

How cold is it.
For winter if the air temperature to 32 °F (0°C) , it is not cold.
If the air temperature to 5 °F (-15°C), it is cool.
If the air temperature to -18,4 °F (-28°C), it is cold.
If the air temperature to -31°F (-35°C), it is very cold

I can translate degrees to Kelvin.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Cwmagain posted:

Gloves needed? What about an Ушанка? I'm going to Russia soon and need to know how not to freeze :-)

Gloves is needed. Especially if you want to ski or ride down the snowy hills.
Ушанку can be replaced hooded jacket.)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Can you...elaborate on this? If I came across this in some dark Siberian forest "ha ha" would be the last thing on my mind :stare:

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Can you...elaborate on this? If I came across this in some dark Siberian forest "ha ha" would be the last thing on my mind :stare:

On the stone reads: "He argued with the instructor". This peculiar humor climbers.)))

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What kinds of wildlife are common in that area? Do Siberian tigers live in that area?

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
What kind of jobs are out there? What do you do?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I hear the roads and stuff are really bad out there. Is anyone doing something about that, or does European Russia not care about you guys?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Hey cold weather buddy. Are all the men in Siberia hairy, burly, hunters who enjoy saunas?

Are you at all concerned about the fact that meteorites seem to have a bizarre attraction to Siberia?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

utjkju posted:

I can buy fruits and vegetables, meat, milk, curd, eggs, fish.
For example, apples cost 1 $ 28 cents, carrots cost 71 сents, onion 34 cents.
34 cents per kilo or per unit? :stare:

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

PT6A posted:

What kinds of wildlife are common in that area? Do Siberian tigers live in that area?

Siberian tigers do not live in that area. But in that area live bears, wolves, deer, foxes, squirrels, weasels, ermine, sable, wolverine, morality and many other animals.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I know you live in a city, but is there a sense of isolation there?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Steampunk iPhone posted:

My guess is minerals/natural resources. Siberia is supposed to have rich mineral deposits.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Steampunk iPhone posted:

In big city are many kind of job because necessary to ensure the city's infrastructure.
But the main industry in West Siberia oil and gas extraction and harvesting of wood.
I is geologist.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I hear the roads and stuff are really bad out there. Is anyone doing something about that, or does European Russia not care about you guys?

The city's infrastructures of Siberia's city better developed than in some cities in European Russia. But the roads are bad in Siberia. But now began to develop the road network.

Winter's road

utjkju fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 4, 2014

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I used to spend a lot of time in Tyumen and Moscow for work. Any time I tried to eat any fried food (French fries, fried fish) I would poo poo my brains out. I successfully ate all kinds of food over there without issue (loved pelmeni, shshi soup with smetana, etc), but as soon as I ate more than one french fry with my Vienna Sandwich I would spend the whole afternoon on the can. Any idea what Russian cooking oil has in it that made everybody I knew over there blast away like this? Lard?

I loved Tyumen and wish I could go back. It was gritty and real - unlike Moscow - kind of like Cleveland in Siberia.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Were you born in this city? Why do people move here? Why do they move away to different cities?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

comaerror posted:

Hey cold weather buddy. Are all the men in Siberia hairy, burly, hunters who enjoy saunas?

Are you at all concerned about the fact that meteorites seem to have a bizarre attraction to Siberia?

Women and men enjoy saunas. Men are not very hairy. )))
Meteorites do not scare us.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Mans posted:

34 cents per kilo or per unit? :stare:

34 cents per kilo

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
How often, or at all, are you cut off from the outside world? Do roads or trains get blocked due to snow or storms?

How far away is the next similar sized town or city, a few hours?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

utjkju posted:

Meteorites do not scare us.

This is what I'm going to think about when I think about Siberia from now on. :clint:

Here's one: How afraid should a foreigner be to visit? I've heard people out there aren't very friendly. Is this true?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Beamed posted:

I know you live in a city, but is there a sense of isolation there?

Here is not a sense of isolation.
Here life many people and have communications, transport.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You're perfectly understandable so is it ok if I read everything you type in an over the top russian accent?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

ausgezeichnet posted:

I used to spend a lot of time in Tyumen and Moscow for work. Any time I tried to eat any fried food (French fries, fried fish) I would poo poo my brains out. I successfully ate all kinds of food over there without issue (loved pelmeni, shshi soup with smetana, etc), but as soon as I ate more than one french fry with my Vienna Sandwich I would spend the whole afternoon on the can. Any idea what Russian cooking oil has in it that made everybody I knew over there blast away like this? Lard?

I loved Tyumen and wish I could go back. It was gritty and real - unlike Moscow - kind of like Cleveland in Siberia.

Lard. But Ukrainians like lard. In Siberia there are many people born in Ukraine.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pick posted:

Were you born in this city? Why do people move here? Why do they move away to different cities?

Yes, i born in Tomsk. I do not moved here, i write from Tomsk. )
I think people move away to different cities for various reasons: work, climate,love.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

drunkill posted:

How often, or at all, are you cut off from the outside world? Do roads or trains get blocked due to snow or storms?

How far away is the next similar sized town or city, a few hours?

I am 27 years old. For 27 years, our city has never been cut off from the outside world.
To Novosibirsk distance of 275 km, 112km distance to Jurga.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

DicktheCat posted:

This is what I'm going to think about when I think about Siberia from now on. :clint:

Here's one: How afraid should a foreigner be to visit? I've heard people out there aren't very friendly. Is this true?

People are different .But most people are friendly. We can be friendly, but we are not show our friendliness through smile. If we wish give help to a man, we look very serious, because we think about way to help.
Foreigner should afraid swindler.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

You're perfectly understandable so is it ok if I read everything you type in an over the top russian accent?

My level of English on the scale adopted in Russia pre-intermediate. I really are not speak English, but I can read and I is learning to write so that people understood me. For this I need to think in English. It's difficult, but I try very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I just visited Murmansk(Russia) a few weeks ago. God drat b, that place is cold as gently caress. I can't believe people have lived there for hundreds of years.

Is there a lot of Chinese or Tartar people up there looking for jobs in industry?

Edit: for clarification yes I know Murmansk is nowhere near Sibera I just could not imagine living in a climate so cold my whole life.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 4, 2014

• Locked thread