Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

I am reasonably sure it's a play by my management to get rid of the group we currently have that cannot do anything. Document their incompetence, and BAM.

Ah so instead of growing a pair and writing up the individuals who are incapable of doing their job the collective punishment route is chosen.

Management 101 right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namol
Mar 21, 2007
AD and DNS round robin of resolving domain names. We have multiple DCs located in different sites etc but for some loving reason the round robin will resolve corp.contoso.com to DCs out of the site. It's so god drat annoying because it's causing login scripts to fail \\corp.contoso.com\netlogon because if the client resolves the domain to an ip address outside of the site, it can't talk to it because it's behind a firewall.

Fake Edit--Looked at DNS, looks like some jackass put loving static A entries in for those 2 servers. This place is a loving mess.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Caged posted:

Ah so instead of growing a pair and writing up the individuals who are incapable of doing their job the collective punishment route is chosen.

Management 101 right there.

You bet.

Let me give you a bit of insight to our current project management team. I had a customer ask if we could have a meeting to discuss something. To give you an idea of what I have to put up with:

Customer and Project Manager posted:

Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 5:41 AM
To: Mister Project Manager
Cc: Engineering Team
Subject: RE: Meeting notes: Customer Kickoff

Hi Mister Project Manager,

Can we have a call on Monday or Tuesday to discussed the shared plan and current updates if any?

---

Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 7:28 AM
To: Miss Customer [mailto:customerlady@example.com]
Cc: Engineering Team
Subject: RE: Meeting notes: Customer Kickoff

It is today at today.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

nitrogen posted:

You bet.

Let me give you a bit of insight to our current project management team. I had a customer ask if we could have a meeting to discuss something. To give you an idea of what I have to put up with:

Ah yes, tautology o'clock.

2:03, maybe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Pissing me off:

An entire team quit a few months ago overseas, but rather than hiring people they suggested we "volunteer" to work those shifts from here in the US (working from home) EST. We were also volunteered to work a new shift that goes up to 8pm. For who knows how long, my work schedule is rotated every 2 weeks as follows:

9am to 5pm
12pm to 8pm
2am to 10am

Not sure how my body is going to handle this in the long term, but so far it has been brutal.

I would have "volunteered" to tell them "Nope, sorry" and then went about my day. There would be a chance you would be fired, but amazing things can happen when you grow a backbone.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
PMs who have zero technical skills also drive me up the wall backwards and make my head rotate 360 degrees. I'm probably too far in the opposite direction, and need to better control my urge to dive into a configuration and just Fix The drat Thing, but it still amazes me how many PMs in IT can't even be troubled to so much as look at a log file to try to understand something.

Don't get me wrong: I'm fine if they're not an expert, but at least demonstrate some interest in the technology being implemented. If not, why are you an IT PM? Why not go PM something else, in some corporate function that interests you?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The WiFi at one of our remote sites is a little temperamental now and then. No problem, I'm waiting on a new switch to come in, then I can fly out there to install a new wireless LAN controller so everybody will be happy.

But noooo, THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION! when my wifi drops out for a couple minutes when I go from one side of the building to the other, even though every single god damned room in the building has multiple Ethernet ports in it.

Me: "Sorry to hear it's been a problem, but the good news is I'll be out there in a week to get new equipment set up so you won't have this problem in the future!"
PRODUCTION #1: "THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION, if you haven't fixed our problem by Monday, you'll have to change your travel plans and come out here sooner!!!"
Me: "Uh? Well, The VP of IT is flying to my location on Tuesday so... I'll be out there in a week like I said. You can plug into one of the myriad Ethernet ports available to you in every room."
PRODUCTION #2: "I AGREE WITH #1, THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION. Please change your travel plans and come up here sooner."

...yeah, they can deal with wired network access for a few days during the few minutes per day that WiFi gives them problems. Jesus, people get so used to a luxury like WiFi and forget that there are other options out there LIKE WIRES.

SIGH. Vent over.

edit: Let me add overzealous managers to my list. We had a cable provider come in and install a cable line after hours - I wasn't heading up the installation, but apparently they put a tuner card into a computer since the department wanted to be able to view cable TV on that computer. For business purposes. More or less.

In the morning, since that tuner card (for some reason) created a network bridge on that PC and (for some reason) sent BPDU packets to the switch, the switch started shutting down ports and the network went down for... maybe 20 minutes, until I figured out what was going on.

Queue manager, red faced, full of wrath: "WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF THIS INSTALLATION?! We need to make sure this doesn't happen in the future, we need to have people responsible, we need to plan network changes before hand and have an IT administrator on site when any network changes are made and we need to have a plan of action and a matching contingency plan for these issues, and this needs to never happen again, now who was responsible for this?"

Calm down guy, a few network ports went down for 20 minutes, and there's no way I or anyone else would have known that a drat tuner card in a random PC would cause these problems.

Jesus, some people just need something to yell about. Okay, I think venting is over now.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 3, 2014

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We don't officially (as of right now) support the operation of business or critical items on wireless. Especially when you're in a multi-tenant scenario with other business' equipment. Wired or bust.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair the switch shouldn't have been listening for BPDUs on access ports.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Caged posted:

To be fair the switch shouldn't have been listening for BPDUs on access ports.

It has bpdu-guard enabled, to shut down any BPDU-receiving ports. Is it a better idea to use bpdu-filter?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It still amazes me how cheap executives can be. I just had a c-level guy come to me asking if we had any company cell phone upgrades available. After digging deeper (he didn't even have a company phone) it turns out that he had some weird expectation that I was just going to be able to buy him personal cell phone with company money. He was actually shocked when told him no. The conversation finally boiled down to me saying "Well, if I wanted to buy myself a new phone I would usually go to the store and buy one."

What is 600 bucks when you make 250k?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

QPZIL posted:

It has bpdu-guard enabled, to shut down any BPDU-receiving ports. Is it a better idea to use bpdu-filter?

Guard should have been enough to shut the port down. I'd double-check how it's setup as it really doesn't sound like it worked on this occasion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

It still amazes me how cheap executives can be. I just had a c-level guy come to me asking if we had any company cell phone upgrades available. After digging deeper (he didn't even have a company phone) it turns out that he had some weird expectation that I was just going to be able to buy him personal cell phone with company money. He was actually shocked when told him no. The conversation finally boiled down to me saying "Well, if I wanted to buy myself a new phone I would usually go to the store and buy one."

What is 600 bucks when you pay someone 250k?

Our old CEO would lose his phone every three months. He's come out of a restaurant, set his wallet and phone on his car, then get in his car and drive off. 2 days later he'd come to me saying "I think I lost my phone....and I'm pretty sure I know where."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I could probably make a decent living just following this dude around.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

It's always the higher level guys. Always. Back in 2009 or so we would buy folks Bluetooth headsets if they asked for one to go along with their free company paid phone. When we stopped doing that the only people that bitched were executives all making serious money. Us common folk understood. I'm sorry, is 50 dollars going to prevent you from making that Maserati lease payment? I didn't think so.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just learned that you can still get a BSoD in Windows, even in Server 2012! Because I saw one, and then my server died. :(

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

PMs who have zero technical skills also drive me up the wall backwards and make my head rotate 360 degrees. I'm probably too far in the opposite direction, and need to better control my urge to dive into a configuration and just Fix The drat Thing, but it still amazes me how many PMs in IT can't even be troubled to so much as look at a log file to try to understand something.

Don't get me wrong: I'm fine if they're not an expert, but at least demonstrate some interest in the technology being implemented. If not, why are you an IT PM? Why not go PM something else, in some corporate function that interests you?

This is presumably why Google hires technical project managers and expects same level of technical knowledge as the engineers.

Looking forward to the interview in a couple weeks time :v:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

LogMeIn Free is going away. Fucksticks.

Any other recommendations for good free cross-platform remote access clients you can happily leave running without poking holes in your firewall and farting around with port forwarding? It's only for home, so I'm not paying.

VNC-over-SSH tunnelling on a forwarded port on some random number and trying to find a "no-ip" type service that is actually reliable (I have a dynamic IP) seems to be the most likely way so far, as much as I preferred not having to do any of that. The latter is always the stumbling block. They'll be fine for a couple of weeks then just stop updating.

I have OpenVPN running at home and RDP into a virtual Windows machine and VNC from there into the actual computers. (I find that VNC over VPN doesn't deal well if the connection drops and sometimes that causes the server to crash.)

Sirotan posted:

I just learned that you can still get a BSoD in Windows, even in Server 2012! Because I saw one, and then my server died. :(

90% of the time I see this it's flaky hardware, 10% either a bad driver or Windows thinks it's a bad driver.

(I BSoDed my gaming computer (Win7x64) the other weekend trying to run a game from 2000. Display driver locked and as I was reaching for Ctrl-Shift-Esc, it bluescreened.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sfwarlock posted:

90% of the time I see this it's flaky hardware, 10% either a bad driver or Windows thinks it's a bad driver.

(I BSoDed my gaming computer (Win7x64) the other weekend trying to run a game from 2000. Display driver locked and as I was reaching for Ctrl-Shift-Esc, it bluescreened.)

Due to reasons (which I will shortly be posting about in the virtualization thread, probably) I was doing a bit of fuckery with some shady looking tool that can mount VMDK files when I get a BSoD with a memory management error. I suppose it could be bad RAM but the timing is pretty coincidental. It wouldn't boot after that and I had no system images to restore from so welp.

I only set it up two days ago to do some testing with a dumb KACE remote system appliance that I only had halfway working anyway so it's not a huge deal just really frustrating. In related news, KACE sucks.

Edit:

More poo poo pissing me off: I get out 45min late due to a server puking right as I'm about to leave, and as soon as I get home I get a text from my mother asking me to "call me when you're done eating dinner!" I call her since that could be hours from now and her request is so vague as to concern me:

"I got a new work laptop and now I can't get on the home wifi!!"

:frog:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 4, 2014

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

"So this machine that I just bought from you, but refused to pay for data copy, doesn't have my email / files / programs! And because I refused home install / can't remember how to do it / can't pick up the loving phone and call my ISP like I did the first time I set it up, it won't connect to my home router / modem / wifi! This is all your fault and why can't you just do ~*magic*~ and make it work over the phone?!"

How do these people function every loving day if they have the memory of a goddamn sieve? How the gently caress is it my fault if you're too stupid to stop, read and listen, then ask questions if you don't understand?! Go jam a gently caress in your eye.

E: Can you tell I'm trying to quit smoking?

H1KE fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 4, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H1KE posted:

E: Can you tell I'm trying to quit smoking?

Well, you can always pick up glue-sniffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46plhmxXU4

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Sirotan posted:

Well, you can always pick up glue-sniffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46plhmxXU4

You have made my day slightly better, by giving me the laugh I needed. :)

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Sirotan posted:

More poo poo pissing me off: I get out 45min late due to a server puking right as I'm about to leave, and as soon as I get home I get a text from my mother asking me to "call me when you're done eating dinner!" I call her since that could be hours from now and her request is so vague as to concern me:

This poo poo drives me up the wall. When my grandmother died, my mother called me and left a voicemail that was basically "hey chutwig, give me a call back ASAP", and ever since then I have associated any voicemail that follows this format with the assumption that some ghoulish tragedy has just occurred. If you're calling me for something and it goes to voicemail, specify what the call's about or send me a drat text message.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
I once got a "Mom's in the hospital" text. Of course no one would answer my calls or texts back for over an hour, that was fun. Is it so hard to add some extra information? "Mom is in the hospital and while she's not well, it's not life or death."
Not that you should be texting over that, but still, add more info.

Actually, over the weekend a co-worker sent me a text that said "Call me ASAP", so naturally I figured something horrible happened because I don't call people and they know that. Turns out they wanted to buy a tablet and asked for my opinion. Fuckers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A c E posted:

Actually, over the weekend a co-worker sent me a text that said "Call me ASAP", so naturally I figured something horrible happened because I don't call people and they know that. Turns out they wanted to buy a tablet and asked for my opinion. Fuckers.

Should have texted him back with "You're a sap" :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

A c E posted:

I always assume the worst with messages like this. If it's from a family member, something bad happened, if it's from a boss, I'm getting written up. You don't set people up for good talks or innocuous questions by sending them a cryptic message, unless you're a complete douchenozzle. And hey, whaddyaknow!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
What in the name of Stallman have they done to the Backup Exec UI?! (we finally upgraded from Ye Olde Ancient Version)

I'd just got used to the old one. Now I literally can't find anything.

Why can't software developers just leave interfaces alone, what's all this bollocks of having to do things like click on your drive and use a "forward button" for navigation to other menu items, which is completely counter-intuitive to anyone who's ever used a web browser? What's the matter with these people? Was someone on crack when they designed this, or are they just trolling? They must be trolling. No human interface designer is this loving retarded.

A c E posted:

Yikes. I'd probably freak at a message like that too (in fact the last time I saw those words in a text, it was indeed that something horrible had happened). Someone needs to be told the tale of the child who cried wolf.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

What in the name of Stallman have they done to the Backup Exec UI?! (we finally upgraded from Ye Olde Ancient Version)

Ahahaha, if that ancient version was old enough to still be branded Veritas, then you just shot yourself in the foot.

Enjoy your lack of backups and a product that lies to you!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

As far as I've been able to read on The Internet® that's pretty much given when you use BE.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
Important note: HP ProLiant Server firmware access
Starting February 2014, an active warranty or contract is required to access HP ProLiant Server firmware updates. View your existing contracts & warranties or get help linking contracts or warranties to your HP Support Center user profile. To obtain additional support coverage, please contact your local HP office, HP representative, or visit Contact HP. Click here for more information.

Yeah go gently caress yourself HP. Between the ILO Advanced License I had to buy, and the fact that the support contract costs more then the replacement cost of the server itself you are now blocking my ability to update the drat thing?

They already took the storage firmware down and locked it behind the Entitlement required page. Gee, thanks for taking down updates for a system you don't even sell anymore..that was free to download 2 months ago (Planned to buy a second hand EVA4400 for some archive work...not anymore) great move there HP.

I have several angry calls into a few HP reps. My G6/G7 era equipment just passed warranty status and I'll be damned if i'm dropping 100K to get support on everything

Although I could buy it on one as they are mostly the same...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GargleBlaster posted:

I'd just got used to the old one. Now I literally can't find anything.

Why can't software developers just leave interfaces alone, what's all this bollocks of having to do things like click on your drive and use a "forward button" for navigation to other menu items, which is completely counter-intuitive to anyone who's ever used a web browser? What's the matter with these people? Was someone on crack when they designed this, or are they just trolling? They must be trolling. No human interface designer is this loving retarded.

Probably the same stuff that Adobe were smoking with Acrobat Pro X

'hey, I know people are used to having essential functions in the drop down menus and toolbars, but let's hide them in toolbars on the right of the page that you have to open each time. We can leave all the spare space in the toolbar to look pretty'

'oh, people don't like to have to click down to find a function? Let's remove it from the 'edit' drop down menu to make sure they have to'

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A c E posted:

I once got a "Mom's in the hospital" text. Of course no one would answer my calls or texts back for over an hour, that was fun. Is it so hard to add some extra information? "Mom is in the hospital and while she's not well, it's not life or death."
Not that you should be texting over that, but still, add more info.

Last time I sent text like this I specifically included something like "nothing terrible" so they'd know. Never send a non emergency text that sounds like an emergency :mad:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Just... rrrgh!
Exchange isn't much better. In the past, Microsoft's advantage over Linux was putting interfaces on things. Now they're driving us to the Powershell. If it wasn't for all the lock-in, it'd be easier to just go full-on neckbeard and be done with it. (I'm more used to bash)

Lum posted:

Ahahaha, if that ancient version was old enough to still be branded Veritas, then you just shot yourself in the foot.

Nooooooooo :(
Yeah, it was old enough.

We do regular restore tests, so that's something I guess!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Is this the wrong time to point out that assuming they've not been thrown out at some point while I was in Japan, I should have a copy of Arcada Backup Exec lying around somewhere (but no floppy drive to read the diskettes). Have Symantec managed to get Backup Exect to a point where it's worth than that?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GargleBlaster posted:

Just... rrrgh!
Exchange isn't much better. In the past, Microsoft's advantage over Linux was putting interfaces on things. Now they're driving us to the Powershell. If it wasn't for all the lock-in, it'd be easier to just go full-on neckbeard and be done with it. (I'm more used to bash)
Conversely, I always felt that Microsoft's disadvantage was that they put an interface on things and I had to fiddle with registry scripts or click around to configure anything. The powershellization is a great thing for admins.

Also, bash isn't even remotely comparable except insofar as they're both usable as shells. There's nothing like a cmdlet to configure anything. Sendmail? Learn sendmail.cf and use vi. Samba? Learn another config format. BIND? DHCP? Kerberos? LDAP? Repeat ad nauseum.

I wish I had powershell on Linux.

Worked for Oracle right? Nobody's still pissed about what they did to sun.com

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
3 meters from me people are having a discussion/meeting at the big desk.
I was not told this was going to happen, i currently have moldex sparkplugs in my years, pushed in as far as possible, and i still hear them

How the gently caress do you even get the idea to schedule a meeting in someone elses room, i'm not a part of it, without telling them?

As a second gently caress-you i just checked and the big meetingroom in the office is empty, nobodys using it. There is also a smaller one with a big whiteboard in another end of the office that hasn't been used for months, with a loving door you can close.

I can't concentrate at all on all the idiotic poo poo i have to get done today

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

underlig posted:

3 meters from me people are having a discussion/meeting at the big desk.
I was not told this was going to happen, i currently have moldex sparkplugs in my years, pushed in as far as possible, and i still hear them

How the gently caress do you even get the idea to schedule a meeting in someone elses room, i'm not a part of it, without telling them?

As a second gently caress-you i just checked and the big meetingroom in the office is empty, nobodys using it. There is also a smaller one with a big whiteboard in another end of the office that hasn't been used for months, with a loving door you can close.

I can't concentrate at all on all the idiotic poo poo i have to get done today

Pick your laptop up and go to Starbucks or another office.

Get headphones

Open offices blow

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Bob Morales posted:

Pick your laptop up and go to Starbucks or another office.

Get headphones

Open offices blow

Passive aggressive response: unplug your headphones, turn up the music.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Passive aggressive response: unplug your headphones, turn up the music.

Play drums on desk and sing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Start practising for your newly formed steel band