Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Last year I was driving to work in my Miata (which had a bum thermostat and therefore no heat) and came across a man who had crashed his brand-new Pathfinder into the ditch. The look of pure inarticulate rage on his face when he realized his eight ton elephantitis 4x4 was incapable of doing something my tiny gay car was happily doing with its friendly frog face is something I will always treasure.

I doubt it was the vehicle that was incapable of doing what your Miata was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

subx posted:

I doubt it was the vehicle that was incapable of doing what your Miata was doing.

It is because a person that dumps their truck into a snowy ditch would never admit it was there fault :ssh:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
With RWD trucks and SUVs they seem to stay stable on the slippery stuff a little longer because of their weight versus a RWD car. That weight really works against them though when they move past that point and start sliding.

I find a lot of people aren't prepared for just how difficult it is to bring a giant SUV back into line when that point is reached because they rarely experience it.

8ender fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 3, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, even if you know what you're doing, there's a lot less feedback and steering feel. I find old-school leaf springs and live axles trucks to be about the hardest things to drive smoothly in snow and ice, especially short-wheelbase ones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

With RWD trucks and SUVs they seem to stay stable on the slippery stuff a little longer because of their weight versus a RWD car. That weight really works against them though when they move past that point and start sliding.

I find a lot of people aren't prepared for just how difficult it is to bring a giant SUV back into line when that point is reached because they rarely experience it.

This is a lot of words to say "he was a poo poo aggressive driver who thought he could pass on the right with glorified all-seasons in two inches of snow on top of ice at highway speeds."

Seriously, it was textbook overdriving for the conditions. The look of anger and confusion on his face as he tried to puzzle out where his invincible SUV had failed him was my reward for being a sane driver and not mashing the gas pedal to the floor while red misting. I'm not gonna dong it up on a crowded highway where everyone is going 20 under the limit on my open-diff short-wheelbase RWD convertible while I'm half asleep.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 3, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Seat Safety Switch posted:

tiny gay car with its friendly frog face

All seriousness aside, this is my new favorite description of a Miata ever.

It's funny though how knowing how to drive goes so much further than having a supposedly well equipped vehicle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I used to drive from Lewiston, ID to Boise about three to four times every winter with a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. FWD, no TC, no ABS, no SBC car. Often the two-lane highway would be either six inches deep in snow, or an icy sheet. It's amazing what you can do with a careful throttle pedal, FWD, a heavy engine (3800, the best V6) and patience.

I was bad, however, with preparing anything except for the base driving. Ask me about how I kept refilling the windshield washer fluid with plain water and having it freeze multiple times mid-trip!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sitting at a light on the way into work today some guy decides he wants to sneak up the right side to make the turn instead of waiting. I'm four cars back and hugging the center line because I'm used to idiots doing this. Got uncomfortably close to my right rear corner but made it by only to drive off the side of the road a couple feet further. Looks like all the rain took out that ditch a little bit.

Horrible scraping sound then spinning tire when it high centered itself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

8ender posted:

It's less about the weight and more about where the weight is.

Trucks at least are typically fairly far off balance when unloaded, so while they have extra weight its concentrated at the front which makes the rear looser. A RWD car, especially one made after FWD became the driving appliance standard in the '80s, is usually built with an intent of sportiness and will typically be better balanced because of that. Even for non-sporty models having drivetrain components in the rear moves the center of mass rearward and compensates somewhat for the engine's weight out front.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you have people parking on your verge or whatever, just get a few three hundred pound rocks and put them there spaced apart a bit. Pick something decorative looking.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've resigned myself to the usual winter driving terribleness. People who think that any snow on the ground means they can't go faster than 20, the same people who think that they can crawl along in the (slightly less snow-covered) left lane even though it's still safe to drive in the right lane, and people who think that being in an SUV or pickup means they safely can go 20 over the limit when the roads are basically covered with grease. (Guess who ends up in the ditch later!) It sucks, you'd think people living in the midwest would know how winter driving works, but you just prepare for all your trips to take longer.

I was not prepared for someone to almost t-bone me because they had to turn into my lane(not the perfectly usable other lane, which had no cars coming at all) right now. While the roads were still semi-slick from snow. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic, so I managed to swerve out of the way without a scratch. I'm normally not a fan of punishing other drivers, but it was cathartic to pull in front of him, then block him from going forward for a minute. Yeah, you just sit there and think about how you almost hit someone while you were trying to shave 20 seconds off your drive. Bet it was really worth it. :jerkbag: (For reference, this was late at night so there was nobody else around. Which just makes it even more confusing that he had to pull into my lane instead of taking the empty lane, or just waiting 10 goddamned seconds for me to go by.)

Geirskogul posted:

I was bad, however, with preparing anything except for the base driving. Ask me about how I kept refilling the windshield washer fluid with plain water and having it freeze multiple times mid-trip!
Alright, I'll bite. Why would you refill it with water? Was washer fluid too expensive or what? (Even though it only costs like $3 for enough to fill the reservoir, and it's not that hard to find :psyduck:)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haifisch posted:

(For reference, this was late at night so there was nobody else around. Which just makes it even more confusing that he had to pull into my lane instead of taking the empty lane, or just waiting 10 goddamned seconds for me to go by.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they were fully aware you were there and were "trying to teach you a lesson" for driving so fast.

People get really loving weird when it's slippery out. Dry roads? They'll go 25 over the speed limit and tailgate two feet off your license plate with no issues. But as soon as there's some snowflakes they're unable to tolerate any traffic near them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were fully aware you were there and were "trying to teach you a lesson" for driving so fast.

People get really loving weird when it's slippery out. Dry roads? They'll go 25 over the speed limit and tailgate two feet off your license plate with no issues. But as soon as there's some snowflakes they're unable to tolerate any traffic near them.
I was going 35-ish in a 40. Which was perfectly fine for just going forward, and I'd slow down for curves & turning(the snow was mostly cleared, but you'd still slip a bit if you weren't going in a straight line). I guess I should have been crawling along at 20 since there was :siren: snow on the ground :siren:.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I was going 35-ish in a 40. Which was perfectly fine for just going forward, and I'd slow down for curves & turning(the snow was mostly cleared, but you'd still slip a bit if you weren't going in a straight line). I guess I should have been crawling along at 20 since there was :siren: snow on the ground :siren:.

Well I meant speeding as defined by the guy who veered into your lane.

I drive fast in the snow too (meaning: the speedlimit) as I grew up on snow and am comfortable with it. Never had a wreck in the snow because I keep an appropriate gap and brake early.

I lost count a long time ago how many bro trucks and pseudo Jeeps I've pissed off for blazing past them in a FWD hatchback. Soon as my A pillar passes theirs you can hear them drop the hammer.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

I lost count a long time ago how many bro trucks and pseudo Jeeps I've pissed off for blazing past them in a FWD hatchback. Soon as my A pillar passes theirs you can hear them drop the hammer.

And seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this? I see it all the time in clear/slightly rainy weather here as well. It's some shithead in a truck or SUV going slow in the left lane. I get going to pass them and they suddenly start pacing me and preventing me from passing. Then they slow down again.

Hell, I had a Camry filled with an entire family do this and once I hit 85 and saw the driver screaming and shaking his fist at me I backed off. Then he went back to "slow as gently caress".

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

And seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this? I see it all the time in clear/slightly rainy weather here as well. It's some shithead in a truck or SUV going slow in the left lane. I get going to pass them and they suddenly start pacing me and preventing me from passing. Then they slow down again.

Amen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phenomenon has been noticed here before.. people get into a half awake cruise mode and don't pay attention to poo poo. If you line up next to them and get them to match speed, you can even get them to slow down by slowly reducing your own speed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Here in Boise passing on the right is apparently the only way to pass somebody. I generally go 5 over on the freeway, and stay in the 2nd to far right lane (the far right is exit only), and people will keep passing me on the right, even though the left lanes are free of anybody.

I can't tell you how many times I have almost lost my exit due to some rear end hole doing this. gently caress passing on the right.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Since it doesn't snow here (Palm Springs, CA), that isn't usually a problem. Our issue is 3 Cadillacs, one in each lane, all going 10-15 mph lower than the speed limit. No one can pass, they can't hear you honk or see your brights, and you can see miles of clear road ahead of them. Then the moment you find a gap, another old person pulls out right in front of you and never accelerates so you get stuck behind the original 3 cars again.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Here in Boise passing on the right is apparently the only way to pass somebody. I generally go 5 over on the freeway, and stay in the 2nd to far right lane (the far right is exit only), and people will keep passing me on the right, even though the left lanes are free of anybody.

If it makes you feel any better, Ohio drivers (at least in the southeast) seem to not even know there IS a left lane. I can't tell you how many times I would be tailgated by someone in the center lane for three miles before I finally said "gently caress it" and moved over to the right, at which point they would finally gun it and pass me.

Meanwhile, the left lane had been empty the entire time. This happened constantly when I lived in that drat state. :psyduck:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

El Jebus posted:

Since it doesn't snow here (Palm Springs, CA), that isn't usually a problem. Our issue is 3 Cadillacs, one in each lane, all going 10-15 mph lower than the speed limit. No one can pass, they can't hear you honk or see your brights, and you can see miles of clear road ahead of them. Then the moment you find a gap, another old person pulls out right in front of you and never accelerates so you get stuck behind the original 3 cars again.

Yeah, I see this from time to time, but it's always a Prius or a beater Outback. "I'm saving fuel and ignoring the state laws requiring me to keep right except to pass and to pull over when there five or more cars behind me at the same time!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

I used to drive from Lewiston, ID to Boise about three to four times every winter with a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. FWD, no TC, no ABS, no SBC car. Often the two-lane highway would be either six inches deep in snow, or an icy sheet. It's amazing what you can do with a careful throttle pedal, FWD, a heavy engine (3800, the best V6) and patience.

A few years back I went from Bozeman, Montana up and over into Spokane in the middle of a blizzard, driving a 2001 Hyundai Accent with all-season tires and no chains (I was massively unprepared). I wasn't going 70 but like you said, a careful throttle and patience will really do wonders; I wasn't even that much later than planned, despite having to drive a couple hundred miles on unplowed roads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

A few years back I went from Bozeman, Montana up and over into Spokane in the middle of a blizzard, driving a 2001 Hyundai Accent with all-season tires and no chains (I was massively unprepared). I wasn't going 70 but like you said, a careful throttle and patience will really do wonders; I wasn't even that much later than planned, despite having to drive a couple hundred miles on unplowed roads.

Could have gotten you a chat with a cop if you were caught, law mandates putting chains on your drive wheels for the two passes between Missoula and Spokane if the warning signs are lit up.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I've resigned myself to the usual winter driving terribleness. People who think that any snow on the ground means they can't go faster than 20
This was basically my commute on Friday. People saw snow and slowed way the gently caress down which I suppose is better than the alternative of going balls out regardless of weather but in this case it was completely unnecessary. The snow was very dry and powdery and the roads were completely clear and cold before it started snowing. The plows were out in force but just movement of air caused by the traffic was enough to blow the snow off the roads and what did stay on the road didn't affect traction at all. Ended up with a bunch of convoys in the completely clear and dry right lane doing 20+ under the limit and I passed all of them going the limit+5 in the snowy left lane because, again, it just looked like it was covered in snow but in reality just had a dusting of powder that amounted to nothing.

I imagine a bunch of those people thought that the little hatchback that blew past them was completely reckless and would spin out at any moment but I made the entire 170 mile trip without hint of an issue. I was very cautious going through all the little towns on the way, however, because all the intersections had turn to ice or slush.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

I was very cautious going through all the little towns on the way, however, because all the intersections had turn to ice or slush.

It amuses me when salting roads actually makes them less safe, but the trucks will be out there anyways spewing it all over the roads because that's what they're paid to do and gosh darn it that's what's gonna happen.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fortunately in this case they only salted the towns which made what you said all the more apparent as the roads they just plowed were perfect. Also the one intersection they dumped grit instead of salt was also perfect.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Galler posted:

This was basically my commute on Friday. People saw snow and slowed way the gently caress down which I suppose is better than the alternative of going balls out regardless of weather but in this case it was completely unnecessary. The snow was very dry and powdery and the roads were completely clear and cold before it started snowing. The plows were out in force but just movement of air caused by the traffic was enough to blow the snow off the roads and what did stay on the road didn't affect traction at all. Ended up with a bunch of convoys in the completely clear and dry right lane doing 20+ under the limit and I passed all of them going the limit+5 in the snowy left lane because, again, it just looked like it was covered in snow but in reality just had a dusting of powder that amounted to nothing.

I just got to experience this on 495. I generally don't do much highway driving in the snow because I don't commute via the highway and most of my longer drives are optional. It's not that I avoid longer drives when it's snowing, I just don't see the point most of the time.

It was snowing lightly, and the right lane was doing 40-50 mph, the middle lane about 60-65, and the left lane 75-80. I was in the left lane, and never felt the slightest bit of slip. To be fair I'm on brand new winter tires, but it really wasn't slippery at all. Really it was just a dusting and for the most part the highway was just wet. Once I got off the highway I was stuck behind people doing 10-15 under the limit the rest of the way home.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

xzzy posted:

God drat do I hate this. "Hey rear end in a top hat, if the Focus on all seasons is able to pass you in the unplowed lane, you're probably going way too slow in the plowed, basically just wet lane. ...no, wait! Don't speed up *now.* gently caress."

Then of course once they're going too fast to safely pass and you fall back in behind them, they slow right back down.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Penguissimo posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Ohio drivers (at least in the southeast) seem to not even know there IS a left lane. I can't tell you how many times I would be tailgated by someone in the center lane for three miles before I finally said "gently caress it" and moved over to the right, at which point they would finally gun it and pass me.

Meanwhile, the left lane had been empty the entire time. This happened constantly when I lived in that drat state. :psyduck:

This happens in Idaho as well. That and STOPPING ON THE loving ONRAMP. :argh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
On the highway here a lot of on-ramp lanes become an off-ramp lane for the next exit. The speed limit is 65 but people go 80 sometimes, and many drivers have no issue with only getting up to 35 mph or so if they're not planning on entering the highway. Usually with no indication that they're exiting immediately. The ramps are all pretty long at least, so you can plan ahead and let them gap you a bit but my lord was it terrifying merging into 80 mph traffic at 30 before I learned that.

Same thing happens at this on ramp if you're unlucky enough to be behind a van or large vehicle. They take that turn about 20mph, traffic goes 60-70 usually, and you have all of 100 feet to merge. That ramp scared me more than once but I did get to rev out 2nd in my lovely econocar.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Could have gotten you a chat with a cop if you were caught, law mandates putting chains on your drive wheels for the two passes between Missoula and Spokane if the warning signs are lit up.

Well luckily by the time I actually started climbing the plow trucks appeared, and then on the pass itself there was no snow at all (yet, anyway). So I think I was in the clear.

I bought chains as soon as I got home.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

These are the people you share a lane with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1qDi5xwMU

The video is boring but this moron was consistently loitering inside the right lane. Almost hit the truck at one point and then almost hit me when I overtook them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nsaP posted:

Same thing happens at this on ramp if you're unlucky enough to be behind a van or large vehicle. They take that turn about 20mph, traffic goes 60-70 usually, and you have all of 100 feet to merge. That ramp scared me more than once but I did get to rev out 2nd in my lovely econocar.

Cross post from the CA rant thread...
Same issue here but the nice people that planned the roads didn't do much to help. Here's one of many such lovely on-ramps on this stretch of road, notice the 90 degree corner and very little space to get up to speed. Pellissippi is a 55 zone but if you're doing less than 70 you get passed constantly.

Also check out the nice side-road joining the off-ramp.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It's the third blizzard of the season for Wichita, and the first to not come on Sunday. The second blizzard really sucked since the roads were icy on the Monday after and I had the joy of going to work, came ridiculously close to an accident too. I remember it quite well, I was in the far left straight lane and there was a left turn lane, I was approaching a red light and had slowed down to about 15 or 20 mph when suddenly the rear end in a top hat who was second in the left turn lane decided they really needed to go straight and started pulling into my lane. Hitting the brakes yielded nothing but a slide, I knew my speed was slow enough I didn't really care about the potential damage, the only thing that went through my mind was the fact that I was off duty and I already heard a couple coworkers radio in with far more serious accidents, if it hit this car I was going to be sitting there doing nothing for hours waiting for safety to show up. My slide ended we me inches away from both their car and the truck in the next lane over.

Today, I took my wife to work. There has been a couple inches of snow that started at about 3am. For the most part the roads were not slick, my brakes responded well whenever I tried to use them, I drove about 5 to 10mph below the speed limit (30 in a 40mph zone) which was most of the other traffic was doing. Got cut off by a bro-truck who was weaving in and out between me and the other three or four cars on the road. Next I watched a bro-burban for about four red lights, judging by the directional V and low tread depth I'm certain he had summer tires in the rear, and maybe all season in front. He would pull up in left lane, I was in the right lane, every green light I would hear him hammer down and hear the sound of tries screeching, I would just slowly accelerate away and get about halfway down the block before the SUV would come barreling past me and we would meet again at the next red light. The pièce de résistance of the morning was a BMW 525i, I was going down an almost empty 4 lane 40mph road, this one is lower traffic and was more slick, I felt safe doing about 35 on this road (which was probably too fast). The rear end in a top hat in the BMW flew past me at probably 50 or more, cut me off and slammed on their brakes to attempt to make a right turn, only they ended up doing a 180. The BMW ended it's slide sideways blocking a residential intersection, I pulled the seat cushion out my rear end and kept on driving.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's the third blizzard of the season for Wichita, and the first to not come on Sunday. The second blizzard really sucked since the roads were icy on the Monday after and I had the joy of going to work, came ridiculously close to an accident too. I remember it quite well, I was in the far left straight lane and there was a left turn lane, I was approaching a red light and had slowed down to about 15 or 20 mph when suddenly the rear end in a top hat who was second in the left turn lane decided they really needed to go straight and started pulling into my lane. Hitting the brakes yielded nothing but a slide, I knew my speed was slow enough I didn't really care about the potential damage, the only thing that went through my mind was the fact that I was off duty and I already heard a couple coworkers radio in with far more serious accidents, if it hit this car I was going to be sitting there doing nothing for hours waiting for safety to show up. My slide ended we me inches away from both their car and the truck in the next lane over.

Today, I took my wife to work. There has been a couple inches of snow that started at about 3am. For the most part the roads were not slick, my brakes responded well whenever I tried to use them, I drove about 5 to 10mph below the speed limit (30 in a 40mph zone) which was most of the other traffic was doing. Got cut off by a bro-truck who was weaving in and out between me and the other three or four cars on the road. Next I watched a bro-burban for about four red lights, judging by the directional V and low tread depth I'm certain he had summer tires in the rear, and maybe all season in front. He would pull up in left lane, I was in the right lane, every green light I would hear him hammer down and hear the sound of tries screeching, I would just slowly accelerate away and get about halfway down the block before the SUV would come barreling past me and we would meet again at the next red light. The pièce de résistance of the morning was a BMW 525i, I was going down an almost empty 4 lane 40mph road, this one is lower traffic and was more slick, I felt safe doing about 35 on this road (which was probably too fast). The rear end in a top hat in the BMW flew past me at probably 50 or more, cut me off and slammed on their brakes to attempt to make a right turn, only they ended up doing a 180. The BMW ended it's slide sideways blocking a residential intersection, I pulled the seat cushion out my rear end and kept on driving.

This makes me very glad I took today off!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm going to have to remember "broburban" for future use.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

rscott posted:

This makes me very glad I took today off!

I too value my life more than a day of work, unfortunately my wife's boss has made it very clear if anyone calls in for weather related reasons there will be consequences. So I get the joy of attempting to driving back to her place of work to pick her up after the snow gets deep.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Hey we have one of these in Rockville, MD, except on ours your vision is completely obscured by trees while on the ramp, so once you clear the trees I guess you better just floor it and hope there's a break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

davebo posted:

Hey we have one of these in Rockville, MD, except on ours your vision is completely obscured by trees while on the ramp, so once you clear the trees I guess you better just floor it and hope there's a break!

I like how the corner tightens as you travel it.

Do traffic engineers know nothing of road racing? That's gonna kill exit speeds. :colbert: