Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FPS games used to be called doom clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doomlikes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

icantfindaname posted:

The games were clones and/or modifications of a game called rogue? How is that a terrible name? It's not a super great name no but it's not like it doesn't make sense.

It doesn't not make sense but it would be really weird if people went around calling Call of Duty a Doomlike or whatever. As far as classic roguelike games go, Rogue itself doesn't really get any play -- Nethack, for example, is WAY more iconic

Edit: hah I had an old tab open, beaten on "Doomlikes" -- it really is like the least descriptive and useful genre label out there though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

poo poo is getting real.

e: $0.99 real money to id items at vendor -> new Ferrari.

On-screen controls? Doing control schemes for mobile devices give me the biggest headache. Legends of Yore and Pixel Dungeon seem to be the best way to do things, but they are really unintuitive to a new player. On the flip side on-screen controls take up screen realestate that would better serve for other purposes.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ED: Beaten

Third-Person Procedural? Ascii hackn'loot? Roguelike starts to sound better once think about alternatives

Glimpse fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 3, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

On-screen controls? Doing control schemes for mobile devices give me the biggest headache. Legends of Yore and Pixel Dungeon seem to be the best way to do things, but they are really unintuitive to a new player. On the flip side on-screen controls take up screen realestate that would better serve for other purposes.

It's working pretty decent for Sproggiwood; and I've got Some Ideas(tm) for how to do a more elaborate ability system for the Qud game without cluttering the screen to hell.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 3, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Procedural SRPGs is kinda close but that's still a worse name than roguelike.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

goferchan posted:

It doesn't not make sense but it would be really weird if people went around calling Call of Duty a Doomlike or whatever. As far as classic roguelike games go, Rogue itself doesn't really get any play -- Nethack, for example, is WAY more iconic

Edit: hah I had an old tab open, beaten on "Doomlikes" -- it really is like the least descriptive and useful genre label out there though.

Nethack might be iconic but direct rogue derivatives are getting major play at the moment, brogue and pixel dungeon specifically are very well regarded. There isn't much out there getting attention right now that could be easily described as directly inspired by nethack.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Procedural SRPGs is kinda close but that's still a worse name than roguelike.

SRPGS are like Fire Emblem though? The 'traditional' roguelikes like Nethack, Crawl, ADOM, etc are more similar to something like Diablo than a game like Fire Emblem.

I think the best descriptor to replace roguelike would be just 'dungeon crawler', to be honest. They're not even procedural to the extent people usually talk about. Nethack, Crawl, ADOM, etc, all have defined branch structures that are the same every time.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 3, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Unormal posted:

It's working pretty decent for Sproggiwood; and I've got Some Ideas(tm) for how to do a more elaborate ability system for the Qud game without cluttering the screen to hell.

It's a really simple game but I like how Hoplite on iOS (and android?) handles movement -- touching a space moves you straight there, unless there's an enemy on screen, in which case it only moves you one space in that direction and then lets the enemies take their turn. Roguelikes are gonna have enough excessive buttons already; you REALLY don't need a D-pad.

Edit: to duplicate the "wait" function, assuming that's the hourglass in the center, just make touching the tile occupied by your character do the "wait" thing

Edit edit: haven't played Qud so I don't know the details of the ability system, but for anyone who's played a console shooter or whatever in the past decade the "wheel" system is pretty intuitive. Press and hold in a certain spot, like the center of the screen, and a wheel with all available skills pops up and you slide your finger to whatever you wanna activate. Not 100% sure it would translate well to a touchscreen, but in my head I like it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 3, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

That does look decent, though I'd be interested to know how large of hitboxes you use for those arrows is. And I assume you can scroll the camera around with touch and drag? In case there are monsters hiding under the buttons on the lower left.

goferchan posted:

It's a really simple game but I like how Hoplite on iOS (and android?) handles movement -- touching a space moves you straight there, unless there's an enemy on screen, in which case it only moves you one space in that direction and then lets the enemies take their turn. Roguelikes are gonna have enough excessive buttons already; you REALLY don't need a D-pad.

Edit: to duplicate the "wait" function, assuming that's the hourglass in the center, just make touching the tile occupied by your character do the "wait" thing

Edit edit: haven't played Qud so I don't know the details of the ability system, but for anyone who's played a console shooter or whatever in the past decade the "wheel" system is pretty intuitive. Press and hold in a certain spot, like the center of the screen, and a wheel with all available skills pops up and you slide your finger to whatever you wanna activate. Not 100% sure it would translate well to a touchscreen, but in my head I like it.

Hoplite does things really well (Yes, it's also on Android) I'll agree. Being able to see the entire board on one screen helps with that, though.

Making a menu pop up while you hold your finger down on the screen is fairly trivial to make, throwing buttons up on the screen and detecting if you're on top of one when you lift the finger off again. Ideally you'd want it to be context sensitive if you're tapping a spot on the map, and likely have a default function if you only press for a small amount of time. Like, moving to an empty square, attacking an enemy, opening a door, that sort of thing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The thread might be interested that Matt Barton has an interview with Rogue co-creator Glenn Wichmann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5tJQ3cqRmc

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Unormal posted:

Speaking of this game I got an email about a beta (it was in my spam folder by the way, so others might have gotten it as well but don't know it)

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. I've only played a few dungeons but I really like the character design. Those goat people have a very nice attack mechanic!

The overhead map and ideas behind that are great and really gives a reason to keep playing.

Can't wait to play a bit more over the next few days.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's happening. (Joppa loaded from actual CoQ data files, but upside down because Y is reversed in Sproggiwood)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

It's happening. (Joppa loaded from actual CoQ data files, but upside down because Y is reversed in Sproggiwood)

That's looking really, really nice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

victrix posted:

Shooters now refers to fps games instead of the horrible 'shmup' for the original japanese shooters :mad:

Sure, but I've never heard anyone say bullet hell shmup.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

What's up, Oryx-tile dev buddies?

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 3, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

WaterIsPoison posted:

This looks like brogue, but I have a feeling it isn't. Also that successor to CoQ looks great, would there be a way to make CoQ have graphics after the fact or would that have been something you would've had to have done while developing?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

This looks like brogue, but I have a feeling it isn't.
It's just a little side-project I'm working on when I can find the time. I frequently have delusions of actually finishing it one day.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

WaterIsPoison posted:

It's a great little starter tileset, I really like it; and at mono-colored 16x24 it's vaguely within my abilities to extend myself without it looking terrible.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was playing this actiony jumper roguelike the other day and it got me wondering.

Have any of the games taken then mechanic of when you die, some of your items are passed on to the next character? I think I'd love an Angband that does this, Family Tree Angband or something or other.

Maybe we can put some jumping in it, too.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Just putting it out there that I love the lighting in this. Combined with the very lo-fi graphics it looks very mysterious and dangerous.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Have any of the games taken then mechanic of when you die, some of your items are passed on to the next character? I think I'd love an Angband that does this, Family Tree Angband or something or other.

NetHack's bones files sort of do this, in that you can find the graves of prior characters and loot their old gear, though much of it ends up cursed. I seem to remember a PS1 roguelike where your stash carried over between "lives", but everything you were carrying got lost.

Maybe make the number of items you get to keep depend on the level of the character that died? The higher-level you are, the more you keep, making the next character easier...but if they die anyway despite all those hand-me-downs, then you lose most of the stuff.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mystery Dungeon games and their clones usually have a mechanic that lets you bring items from one run to the next. One Way Heroics is a recent example.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Philthy posted:

As mentioned, One Way Heroics does this and it's pretty cool.

Dungeonmans right now doesn't do item passing but that's planned as part of the Academy Armory. It does let you pass on some item ID info as well as stat upgrades.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

That is fantastic.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Notorious QIG posted:

Just putting it out there that I love the lighting in this. Combined with the very lo-fi graphics it looks very mysterious and dangerous.

Thanks! Yeah, the goal is to make lighting a pretty significantly gameplay component. Instead of a hunger meter your torches will eventually run out and you will be plunged into pitch darkness. Certainly motivates you to keep moving!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Donator tome lets you store an item for a future character. It is cool because you have to leave the item there and can't use it on your current character, so you can either put an item you won't use in there, or give your next guy a really great item in lieu of using on your current character. It makes it an interesting decision rather than a loot pump.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Thanks! Yeah, the goal is to make lighting a pretty significantly gameplay component. Instead of a hunger meter your torches will eventually run out and you will be plunged into pitch darkness. Certainly motivates you to keep moving!

Oh wow, I'm working on something really similar. Currently only in ASCII and libtcod, though.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Philthy posted:

I was playing this actiony jumper roguelike the other day and it got me wondering.

Baroque, a weird as hell game that started on Saturn and got ported to PS2 and Wii later, had a system where you find "consciousness orbs" throughout the dungeon that you can each throw a single item into that will be transferred back to town for use of a new character when you die.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Baroque, a weird as hell game that started on Saturn and got ported to PS2 and Wii later, had a system where you find "consciousness orbs" throughout the dungeon that you can each throw a single item into that will be transferred back to town for use of a new character when you die.

Baroque is also incredibly difficult and alienating to first-time players so I really don't recommend tracking down an old copy. The monster designs are loving awesome though.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Philthy posted:

shiren the wanderer has a "warehouse" mechanic sort of like this. it only works in the standard/beginner dungeon, and the way it works is like this:

on floor 0 (the starting town), you have a large warehouse that can fit ~30 items. on floor 10 (another town), you have a warehouse that can store ~16 items. each item is 1 per square (so 16 scrolls take 16 spots, although storage jars can help circumvent this requirement a bit), and items in the warehouse persist between runs, although they will be unidentified the next time you see them. although there's a rare item that allows you to "send back" items to the warehouse (e.g. if you're about to die or something), the normal way you can put stuff in the warehouse is if you place it there yourself, effectively weakening your current run to strengthen a later one. the game is balanced with this in mind, so it actually works out pretty well! (at least for the SNES version; but the DS version allows to repeat floors to grind XP and so its not very good)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I actually picked up Mystery Dungeon DS this week to "get back into it," but it really is a bit of a grind. I feel like I can't progress unless I find weapons, upgrade them (but not use them), and store them. Then it's a choice between using an upgraded item, and potentially losing it, or leaving it for a future better run. I think too anxiety-ridden to enjoy those kinds of choices.

Beautiful little game, though.

edit: I do allow that I might be misunderstanding the game. But it does seem like I spend a lot of time grinding through boring starting dungeons, finding my partners, and just barely making it to the latest levels I've unlocked, then making little to no progress before dying... then starting again. It's less about applying knowledge and tactics and more about getting the right equipment to progress. If I'm conceptually stuck, though, please let me know if I'm doing it wrong because it's a darn charming game.

e2: vvv Agreed, the puzzles are fun, and I beat them all already! When you say "Head for Table Mountain," though, what do you mean? If you mean, "start with the first dungeon and drat the yawns," I dunno.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 5, 2014

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

How to enjoy Shiren the Wanderer: do not grind. Start at the base town, do a puzzle, grab a riceball, and head for Table Mountain.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
When I was a kid, I really liked this game called "Quest" or "The Quest" or something similar. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure it was a fairly softcore roguelike. It had a somewhat dated tileset. I remember you could play as a fighter class, a magic user, or the "monk" which did both.

Anyone here know what I'm talking about? I'd like to check it out. (though it will probably turn out to be terrible, that's how these things always go)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
After fiddling with dredmor a bit I've decided that burglary totally trivializes most of the game. With a little planning you can rip off every shop essentially risk-free, plus you get to jimmy a random freebie out of every vending machine. Even though most of brax's stuff is total poo poo the ~5% or so that isn't makes your gear head and shoulders above what you'd otherwise be finding, in general. You can afford to be a little looser with your artifacts as a result which allows you to eat them for xp with Archaeology and you're gaining levels faster too. On top of all of that you're basically immune to traps and thus have a never ending supply of landmines or cube fodder.

Mathemagic works about as well for shop raids cause it's teleport is so drat good. You don't get the trap skill from burglary if you go that route though, but mathemagic is strong regardless so it's up to preference.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone on RogueTemple seemed to want this survey posted here, since we're one of the larger roguelike communities:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13T_HBmkgg2RaJaTalUB4QAhZtjBoBo8dyRxcK4yYj84/viewform

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Haha their definition of "actively played" is pretty inclusive.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I still find it weird to consider SA a 'large roguelike community' but then I remember that that's not a high bar to clear and it's kinda depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That is quite nice form, actually. I will have to look through some of the games they have there as I hear about them for the first time.