Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It would be funny if this entry kills the series because the online bullshit was the worst part of the last Heroes game and totally ruined that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Had no idea it was a facebook game as well. Plenty of free to play games on Steam are actually great, Planetside 2, Dota 2, Marvel are three of the best games currently available for PCs, so I won't let that turn me off alone.

But if you guys have played it and tell me not to waste my time, well then I'll listen to that and save my time and effort.
Eh, different taste.

Haven't played it but reading up on it today turned the red flags in my head into air raid sirens. It does not appear to hold any worth or value. But I will certainly not try and stop anyone crazy enough from trying it. While I would very much like to be wrong everything tells me the game isn't worth the money to play (I'm aware it's "free"). :(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Worse than Warriors of the north.

Tried it for two hours. In that time, I really haven't had much troop options. Instead of cheap troops that die permanently, you pay premium for each troop & heal them cheaply. I'm getting 500g from random fights & 2-3k from quests. Basic Bowman costs 2000 each. Healing one from injury costs 40g.
There doesn't seem to be Summoning cabable monsters or permanent spells. Just one use scrolls.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah it's not very good. It has the same problems any other facebook game does, which is everything is premium. So if you're not paying for in app purchases you are literally getting a shittier game for it.

Hopefully they do make another actual KB game with the same team that made AP - that game was great and had a good challenge to it. Probably my favorite of the series.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
This is what they've been working on?! Oh hell no. What a loving waste of people who could have been working on a new (actual) KB game. Which would have gotten like, $40 from me sight unseen.

gently caress facebook gaming. Ruins everything. I'm still tempted to try this piece of turd but I assume I only have rage to find within its cold facebook grasps.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
More aggravating things:
Occasionally you get random boxes and troop boosters as reward. First one gives you random stuff (items, scrolls, single troops). Oh gee. I really needed 1 Evil Eye, when I should field 20 of them (If I had place to purchase).
Troop boosters give yet more singular troops, but they have a guaranteed 'rare' monster, so Now I have 1 Demonologist, 1 Emerald Dragon and 1 Ent. I should be using 5, 2 & 4 of them respectively. So Dragon almost works.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

"Holy poo poo what's this on Steam? A new surprise King's Bounty game?? :woop:"

:smith:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Funso Banjo posted:

Had no idea it was a facebook game as well. Plenty of free to play games on Steam are actually great, Planetside 2, Dota 2, Marvel are three of the best games currently available for PCs, so I won't let that turn me off alone.

But if you guys have played it and tell me not to waste my time, well then I'll listen to that and save my time and effort.

I have played it. It is pretty good really. It is obvious F2P hooks and Facebook integration stuff but it is quite fun and SO FAR it seems you are easily able to avoid spending money, though you might need to do some grinding to replace it. ( I just hit Level 13. And completed Armored Princess albeit on Easy.)

Give the game a try and see if you like it. The "Patrol" mode is basically your equivalent of a BBS Door game's PLAY AGAIN LATER feature. If you start taking too many losses or get whacked in PvP duels by someone with a higher level or better army just set up a Patrol with some Patrol Book items to give extra xp, gold, and time on Patrol then come back 3-20 hours later and play some more.

(You can also redo earlier missions with lesser rewards as they become easier and easier, some quest and quest chains only being playable once a day or so.)

The in game BUY THIS TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER Gems are things you can avoid but it is obvious how they are trying to tempt you with spending RL cash.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Another thing that came out of nowhere:

A small island lost in the sea is covered by snow and ice. It is inhabited by the clan of Snow Elves. Young Olaf, the son of the Northling King, faces his destiny again as he helps the people of the North in their struggle against the upcoming thaw.

New adventures and challenges, new friends and foes, new items and awards await Olaf on his way to victory. He will set off on a journey to distant parts of Endoria that weren’t visited even by the Royal Bounty Hunters…

• Creature skill system – lead your troops through dozens of battles and they will become stronger than ever!
  • Snow Elves – a new Elven nation that prefers snow and blizzard of the Ice Gardens instead of the green forests of Merlassar.
  • Necrolizards – a new kind of the undead, Lizardmen that have risen from the dead.
  • New locations to explore.
  • Over 20 new creatures.
  • Revamped creatures of King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North.
  • New items with unique attributes.
  • Over 20 hours of additional gameplay.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Suspicious posted:

Another thing that came out of nowhere:

A small island lost in the sea is covered by snow and ice. It is inhabited by the clan of Snow Elves. Young Olaf, the son of the Northling King, faces his destiny again as he helps the people of the North in their struggle against the upcoming thaw.

New adventures and challenges, new friends and foes, new items and awards await Olaf on his way to victory. He will set off on a journey to distant parts of Endoria that weren’t visited even by the Royal Bounty Hunters…

• Creature skill system – lead your troops through dozens of battles and they will become stronger than ever!
  • Snow Elves – a new Elven nation that prefers snow and blizzard of the Ice Gardens instead of the green forests of Merlassar.
  • Necrolizards – a new kind of the undead, Lizardmen that have risen from the dead.
  • New locations to explore.
  • Over 20 new creatures.
  • Revamped creatures of King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North.
  • New items with unique attributes.
  • Over 20 hours of additional gameplay.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Time to give Warriors of the North a fair chance. I hope this fixes the game's wack difficulty curve and all the silly bugs

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 30, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It feels sort of nostalgic to see KB getting milked so hard, HoMM was getting about this milked in its heyday as well :v:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

WYA posted:

I hope this fixes the game's wack difficulty curve and all the silly bugs

Is it an addon to the original campaign or a new campaign entirely that doesn't even touch the original?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's an addon to the original campaign, like Crossworlds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm thinking about it if it adds to troop variety because that was the biggest problem with WotN's vanilla campaign(also known as Use Vikings For the First 1/3 Then Humans/Elves Forever).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My major issue with Warriors of the North (apart from crash bugs) was just that there was soooo much unneeded filler. Don't get me wrong, I've played and beaten each of the modern King's Bounty games and love me some lengthy games, but it seems like WotN just had so much boring crap in it compared to the others. And I loved the other games in the series!

In The Legend, I read every single line of quest dialogue, though this might have been somewhat because of funny translations.

In Armored Princess/Crossworlds, I still read everything because that's what I tend to do in games.

In WotN, I was skipping all dialogue about the time I left the first island after leaving Viking Archipelago. It just became so uninteresting.

If this DLC just modifies the campaign and would therefore require another playthrough, I'm not sure I have that in me. It was the first King's Bounty game I just wanted to end. Viking Archipelago was cool, though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I could probably do another playthrough, but that's because I got stuck at some giant spider with absolutely no way to match its dps and quit

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've actually been playing this for quite some time so this DLC was a nice surprise considering the game's age. I'm liking this game quite a bit. The music Lind Erebos has done for all the new King's Bounties is fantastic, and his viking themed music is wonderful. I still don't see it being better than Armored Princess, but I like it a lot.

It doesn't look like the DLC is integrated into the campaign though? You get to choose the regular campaign or the Ice and Fire campaign from the start screen.

And I notice the 0 hp bug is still there. The bug is that some spells, especially ones that burn or poison, will do zero damage to a stack of your units and instantly kill them all. That stack of over a dozen ancient ents you have, that is unkillable with stone skin and the other protection spell, with level 3 creation? Zero points of damage done, its dead, it can't be revived, even if it was a unit that was 1-4 and could be revivable. It's nice to see they can put out DLC but not fix an extraordinarily frustrating bug.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Node posted:

It doesn't look like the DLC is integrated into the campaign though? You get to choose the regular campaign or the Ice and Fire campaign from the start screen.

Ah, I misunderstood then. In that case, I'll probably check it out sometime. I do like to check out new troop types.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Node posted:

It's integrated. Crossworlds did the same thing. If you actually fire up a new Ice and Fire campaign you'll see it starts out exactly the same as the original.

I'm very much in the camp of "Loved Legend and Armored Princess to pieces, could never finish Warriors of the North because it just went on and on and ON and none of it was terribly interesting" but I'm willing to brave another run sometime with the new content, I guess.

The real question is if I'll be able to drag myself away from playing Paladin for once and actually mixing it up a bit. (Spoiler: No)

Seriously I even played Paladin in Legend when it was awful. I don't know why, I just always seem to gravitate towards magicky Paladin or maybe an actual Mage. I don't hate Warrior exactly I just can't imagine slogging through an entire campaign with one.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 2, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

madmac posted:

It's integrated. Crossworlds did the same thing. If you actually fire up a new Ice and Fire campaign you'll see it starts out exactly the same as the original.

Well that's kind of annoying, I don't want to start all over again.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I stopped WOTN at the spider boss. It's not that I even got to the fight and couldn't beat it, but the whole concept that all of my dudes were going to be taken away regardless and I'd go someplace else for a while just made the entire first 10 hours or whatever feel like a waste of time that I couldn't get over. And plus the overall difficulty of the thing meant I'd need to sacrifice the best dudes around just to get through it, some of which were in extremely limited supply, rather than fodder. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Does this expansion improve any of that?

I don't really mind another Crossworlds-type expansion if they didn't add something that ruins it for me, like those drat cheating orc units in Crossworlds that just kill part of a stack at the start of the fight and there's nothing you can do about it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
From playing like half an hour this morning, the only change in the campaign I've noticed early on is a Mystic camped outside the starting town who will restock on high tier Viking Units in exchange for runes. He also offers "Mystics" for sale which is another Mage unit with Mind Control and some funky trance ability I haven't played with.

Also, you have unit leveling. All your stacks gain experience for killing enemy units and can advance up to 10 ranks. No idea what happens if a full stack wipes or you disband, but I'd assume you lose everything?

quote:

I stopped WOTN at the spider boss. It's not that I even got to the fight and couldn't beat it, but the whole concept that all of my dudes were going to be taken away regardless and I'd go someplace else for a while just made the entire first 10 hours or whatever feel like a waste of time that I couldn't get over. And plus the overall difficulty of the thing meant I'd need to sacrifice the best dudes around just to get through it, some of which were in extremely limited supply, rather than fodder. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Does this expansion improve any of that?

If it's anything like Crosswords it just adds re-balancing and a ton of new content into the main campaign. As I mentioned, they put in a kludge to resupply on Shield Maidens/Jarls/RuneKeepers but it's not cheap.

I hear you though. I played farther then you did, but it was about the time I went from "Hell Yeah Rad Viking Stuff!" to feeling like I was retreading the original campaign with boring human units that I lost interest. I quit playing somewhere in the hell level, I think. Because all three games needed an awful slogging Hell Level, apparently.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 2, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The difficulty is really all over the place for this game. There are moments when you are predetermined to lose your entire army after prepping for big fights. The game usually resets and restocks vendors at those moments, but due to randomization, there's a chance that a stack of good units you were depending on might not appear again; you practically need foreknowledge to know what units to buy out in case they might be gone forever. Not only that, at other points, the game randomly and without warning locks you out of using some vendors and castles, including ones where you might be storing your reserves :argh:. Again, unless you've played the game before, there's no telling when you'll lose out on units, this time ones you've already paid for. This is, as with most things in the game, more of a result of bad design than making a legitimate challenge for the player.

Then the difficulty just nose dives in the latter parts of the game. As a paladin on Hard difficulty, I had maxed out the entire mind tree, grabbed all 3 ranks in all spell schools and the mana generating abilities, and had most of the might abilities that I cared to take. I was way overpowered long before reaching the end of the game. The last few islands, even the dragon ice island, felt like they should have been placed somewhere in the middle of the game for their difficulty. All of the enemies I faced were ranked as Weak or Very Weak. The only time I took any casualties was when I faced a dragon hero army who cast Inferno on his first turn but was otherwise still a cakewalk. The rest of the game was a boring, uneventful slog with no challenge whatsoever. The only thing preventing me from just steamrolling through it were the persistent, game-crashing bugs.

The game also ends in a goofy what-if cliffhanger, but I have no desire to see where the series will go if it's not developed by the original Katauri guys. Mind you, I've played The Legend, AP, and Crossworlds multiple times, but I'm never, ever touching WotN again.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So far the DLC has streamlined the first couple islands, is less of a slog. The AI is definitely improved, you get less gold, you dont get a flying mount with the first babe, and they stopped the game from getting linear by opening up more islands sooner it looks like.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

WYA posted:

you get less gold

I get that the crazy amount of gold killed some of the challenge, but this might not be a good change. The overabundance of gold was one of the few workarounds to a couple of the major bugs, such as the giant dude's fire attack crashing the game if the player had any troop type that didn't have a burning animation, which it turns out was quite a few of them. I could just buy a full contingent of vikings since I figured his own troops would have that animation, then discard them after the battle. The crazy amount of gold also made it possible to experiment with different armies to my heart's content.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

WYA posted:

So far the DLC has streamlined the first couple islands, is less of a slog. The AI is definitely improved, you get less gold, you dont get a flying mount with the first babe, and they stopped the game from getting linear by opening up more islands sooner it looks like.

Oh nooo when do you get the flying mount :(

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Verviticus posted:

Oh nooo when do you get the flying mount :(

According to people it is the 9th babe, but I like that because for me flying sort of kills exploration

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Similarly, later-flying means more drudgery spent going back to shops 1-5 to recover your troops every n battles.
Interested in hearing further impressions though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

WYA posted:

According to people it is the 9th babe, but I like that because for me flying sort of kills exploration

They moved it from the beginning of the game to the (maybe) end of the game? Holy poo poo. What about all those things you were supposed to fly to right away?

moot the hopple posted:

The difficulty is really all over the place for this game. There are moments when you are predetermined to lose your entire army after prepping for big fights. The game usually resets and restocks vendors at those moments, but due to randomization, there's a chance that a stack of good units you were depending on might not appear again; you practically need foreknowledge to know what units to buy out in case they might be gone forever. Not only that, at other points, the game randomly and without warning locks you out of using some vendors and castles, including ones where you might be storing your reserves :argh:. Again, unless you've played the game before, there's no telling when you'll lose out on units, this time ones you've already paid for. This is, as with most things in the game, more of a result of bad design than making a legitimate challenge for the player.

edit: nevermind, I read this and it sounds awful. I guess I should be glad I never got past the spider, holy gently caress.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 3, 2014

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

When does the game end anyway? I just got to the Riftlands after taking a weeks pause after ragequitting when the game crashed (again!!!) after I had been playing for like an hour without saving.

What happened to the original developers?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Man, this is no fair. I have over 100 hours into the game (many of them were just when I left the game running and was doing other stuff, like sodomizing and masturbating) but it feels like a waste of time to continue in the now "vanilla" campaign. I'm in Arlania, cleared Greenwort and the Verion wastelands, and about to assault the mage tower. And I really don't want to quit, I've got my Soothsayer tree high enough that magic is incredibly powerful. Having level 3 creation magic, level 3 concentration, level 3 higher magic and level 3 magic types let you do crazy things like stoneskin and divine armor a unit, making it take virtually no damage from anything. And if one of your level 1-4 units dies, just resurrect them with a paladin, then cast gift on the paladin and resurrect again. Or have a rune magic clone the paladins and let that clone resurrect. It's awesome.

The way your units stacks gain experience sounds cool. That mystic someone mentioned that you trade runes for high level units for sounds like a BAD idea. Runes are way, way more valuable than any unit.

As for the spider, if you're trying to have a no loss run and be as efficient as possible, forget it. Without spoiling what happens after, drop your super efficient units, get a stack of berserkers and polar bears, have your berserkers berserk (they always target the spider) and buff them up. Get some other units like royal snakes from the snake lady to attack the spiderlings it drops, they do poison damage and royal snakes and swamp snakes have very high resistance to poison. After I did that, I beat it in under 15 turns and got the achievement. Trolls are very helpful for this fight since they usually can take just enough damage not to lose a unit and regen all their health next round. There are a couple slightly out of the way places you can find trolls on the viking islands.

The spider is hard, but if you forget the efficiency mentality, and try units you'd never use otherwise, you will beat it.

edit:

Node, in 2012 posted:

Well I'd love to hear from people who have purchased this game to see how it compares to AP, or KB: The Legend, and tell us if its a horrible unrecognizable mess. Or if it still has awesome music, funny and weird dialog, good gameplay, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hello Node, from 2012, from the first page of this thread. This game is awesome. Don't worry, it has all the things you love about King's Bounty games. Same and new great music, kookie dialog, fun gameplay, but some bugs. Go buy it! :downs:

Node fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 3, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'd trade runes for a unit on par with AP Black Knights, for example. It all depends on how good they get.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The rune for units thing looks like a one time deal. I traded a might rune for the ability to buy warrior maidens, bought them all and he's not restocking or offering me to pay another rune for more.

I'm about to face the undead spider again but it seems I'm not actually stuck on the first 4 islands until I do like in the original. I mentioned the ice elf from the "ice gardens" (the second new NPC on the first island) to the sailor looking for his cabin boy and he gave me the sea chart for a 5th island.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Really funny bug encountered where a artifact that is supposed to improve call of nature by 20% actually improves it by 10000%, huge stacks of 10k hyenas

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This DLC is much better guys, enjoyment is on AP levels so far

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I resumed playing my game after learning how to console a few items for the sidequests that I quit over (stupid odin banner :argh:). The paladin - rune mage - gift - phantom :circlefap: of invulnerability is still in full force even though I can't seem to buy any more paladins and runemages (not that it matters since all my human units sit at +5 morale and instagib everything). (Is Sacrifice in this game? I can't remember).

This game is great. Although rune mages with 30 of each rune banked are still pretty stupidly overpowered - 12k astral damage, with upwards of 25k on crit or double damage proc? :3: One thing that sucks about rune mages is you have to micromanage runes for your whole army when you use them since the AI keeps wasting your rune mages' runes if you let it manage them.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

madmac posted:

Also, you have unit leveling. All your stacks gain experience for killing enemy units and can advance up to 10 ranks. No idea what happens if a full stack wipes or you disband, but I'd assume you lose everything?

No, you don't. I went through the portal, lost my whole army, went ahead and bought more of the same unit types and the experience they had was retained.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I am finding this hugely crashier than the first iteration of warriors of the north, and apparently some quest triggers are hosed. I restarted to powergame the traps ability, and found those hours even-more-wasted by having the mask quest break such that none of the people I should be able to talk to about the mask will say anything to let me put it together.

bleh. not the smartest 9$ ever spent. The unit leveling is boring and lame.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I had lost interest in WotN without finishing it because all the fights were horribly grindy, so I thought: eh, I'll get Fire and Ice and blast through it on easy as a mage.

The spider boss is still terrible, but I got through with 80% of my units after getting as many tanks as possible. Everything else has been clear sailing, except now I'm somehow stuck on the first Guliford fight. His units add up to 190k in leadership, which is nearly double what other "impossible" fights have.

The unit distribution is a lot nicer, you can get to the elven island nice and early if you want to switch out from vikings entirely, and there are a bunch of new unit reskins that are fun to play with. On the downside, it's crashing pretty often, and not getting the flying horse early is needlessly tedious, so I just cheated it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Any additional opinions on Fire and Ice?

I really enjoyed KB and KB:Crossworlds but WoTN was a horrible mess (unbalanced, no innovation whatsoever, etc). Does Fire and Ice make it worth it?

• Locked thread