Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hope you registered it on their website within 30 days of purchase because otherwise they are going to tell you to get hosed and then suck it when you try and use that warranty.

I will never buy another ryobi cordless tool (and probably not the rest of their tools either) because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought it today so it'll get registered Monday, I'm kinda anal about that sort of thing. I even update addresses for that poo poo.

The attraction was running garden tools off the same batteries, I'd have got dewalt or makita otherwise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

The only downside I've discovered yet is that the included charger is 450mah, and I got a 4ah battery for it.

How did you get a charger that puts out a tenth of the power but still fits that battery? :psyduck:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Cakefool posted:

I bought a ryobi one+ drill, 2 year warranty gives me some confidence. As they had 30% off I got the 4ah battery and the vacuum as well. Not tried the drill yet but the vacuum is incredible :v:

The only downside I've discovered yet is that the included charger is 450mah, and I got a 4ah battery for it.

Chargers are not rated in mah. Perhaps you meant 450ma? At this current it would take about ~9hrs to output 4ah of energy to charge a fully depleted battery.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've not been feeling my Ryobi poo poo lately. I spent like a hundred bucks on a lithium battery about a year ago and it's starting to go bad. The other day the light on it was green and I stuck it in my electric impact and it quit after about 3 rotations. The temperature was somewhat cold, but I expect more out of a hundred dollar battery.

What sucks is that I have practically the entire Ryobi line so switching brands is basically out of the question. I hate the stupid power tool vendor lock-in cycle of abuse.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Is this the place for garage questions? A garage is a tool, right?

I'm about to build one next to a house we're buying. What should I bear in mind? The foundation is 21x22, so it's just a bit too small for a double garage, but I never keep two cars in mine anyway. I'm thinking put in a single garage door so I can keep my Miata in there, and devote the rest of the space to workbenches, tool storage, and etc.

The space already has a floor drain and water hookups, so I guess a sink is going in. I'm not going to wire it immediately, but when I do I'll add a 220v outlet for eventual welder/brewhouse applications. I want an overhead air hose and outlets on the roof trusses. Maybe an extractor fan for painting. Anything I need to allow for in the plans/construction?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you know where the drains etc run, would it be possible to have an inspection pit? Or build it tall enough for a lift?

It may be worth running your garage wiring separately from the house if you can, mine is on its own consumer unit coming off the meter tails.

I have what is effectively a "double" garage, but with a single door mounted centrally. I would recommend something similar for what you're after.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

saint gerald posted:

I'm about to build one next to a house we're buying. What should I bear in mind? The foundation is 21x22, so it's just a bit too small for a double garage, but I never keep two cars in mine anyway. I'm thinking put in a single garage door so I can keep my Miata in there, and devote the rest of the space to workbenches, tool storage, and etc.

The space already has a floor drain and water hookups, so I guess a sink is going in. I'm not going to wire it immediately, but when I do I'll add a 220v outlet for eventual welder/brewhouse applications. I want an overhead air hose and outlets on the roof trusses. Maybe an extractor fan for painting. Anything I need to allow for in the plans/construction?

Keep in mind it will be easier to wire before you fill it with your stuff - even if you do what I did and put surface mount conduit all over the drat place.

Create a detailed plan with your benches and tool locations so you have the outlets where you need them, It'd put a duplex one every 24" across a bench for instance, but only need one every 8 feet on the other walls, or whatever code minimum is.

Plan your lighting as well - a few troffers up high do OK, I'd put rows every 4 feet for full light and at this point you can add lighting low along the sides if you don't plan on putting storage against the wall. Those will help immensely with auto work and painting.

As for the overhead air hose, I assume you mean cord reels, put outlets near those for power cord reels as well. If you're going *all out* - consider an S-Beam hoist and trolley. Hell, consider all overhead hoisting needs, if you have the strength in the structure you could put a few hooks for hoisting and positioning.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Floor drain and hoist would be my priorities.

Don't you need fresh, virgin concrete to do acid washing? I'd do that, it's a really nice look.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Krakkles posted:

What are good snap ring pliers? I thought I saw a post about them a week or two ago, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

Buy Knipex.

They're well worth it. I got tired of breaking China-poo poo too.

http://www.knipex.com/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

How did you get a charger that puts out a tenth of the power but still fits that battery? :psyduck:

Because...

peepsalot posted:

Chargers are not rated in mah. Perhaps you meant 450ma?

...I had a brain fart.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
I'm looking to buy a breaker bar, and while comparing prices I stumbled across this thing advertised to "Multiply your turning torque by up to 8 times with a single hammer blow!". I figured they weren't suggesting smashing the plastic handle to pieces so I went searching for info about it worked, and eventually (after quite a bit of digging) I found that they are sold under various brands (including SP Tools) one of which had this helpful image explaining the operation:

Has anyone ever used anything like this? Are they any good?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have no experience with that particular one but my dad has had one of these types of manual impact drivers for ages and it does work. I would still get a separate breaker bar though.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 4, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'd still want a long breaker for those instances where clearance is too tight or you can't swing a hammer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I'd still want a long breaker for those instances where clearance is too tight or you can't swing a hammer.

Looks like it's fantastic for driving bolts into a workbench, though. :v:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Someone correct me if my math is wrong:

So cranking on it and smacking it with a hammer puts out about 400 newton meters.

400 NM / 1.355 = 295 Ft-LB of torque, (or pound-foots, whatever)

which is the equivalent of a 73 pound person putting their weight on a 48" breaker bar. Just weight. Not even pushing on it.

400 NM isn't a lot for a breaker. The ingersoll rand air-driven impact at my shop supposedly puts out about 475 NM (350ftlb).

So I guess if you have room to swing the hammer, and have room in your toolbox for both that thing and the hammer, it's p. nifty.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and the torque scales up as you put more force on the handle?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MRC48B posted:

So cranking on it and smacking it with a hammer puts out about 400 newton meters.

Where did you find this? There wasn't anything specific in the link about output.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I want a set of British Standard Whitworth wrenches (spanners?) to use on my old English bicycles. On ebay it seems like the best I can do is $40-45 for a set of eight which seems somewhat unreasonable to me. They won't be seeing heavy use or anything, but I hate beating up the nuts with an adjustable. The fasteners on these Raleighs are :britain: as hell, with Whitworth heads and a non-standard 26tpi so I can't just replace them with modern hardware and need to preserve them. Surely there's a factory in China churning these wrenches out for cheap, right? Or do I just pay the premium for tools for an obsolete specialty fastener gauge with negligible demand?

(One of the better brands is made in England and called King Dick which amuses me greatly but a waste of money for my purposes.)

Basically, WTB: cheap Whitworth wrenches. Any ideas?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Found here for Brits. Looks like it's a bit more expensive on your side of the Atlantic, but I suppose as Stanley's an American company it's an "import" for you, even though they're likely all made the same place in China.

That thing is no loving joke, Snap-on wrenches will flex open before that thing does.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

saint gerald posted:

Why not just buy a narrow double door (16') so you have the option if you eve want to park two car in there in the future. Besides if you ever sell the house 'two car garage' sells me way faster than 'one car garage'.

But then again I'm bonkers when it comes to garages and after I'm done with my tandem in the basement I'll start planning for a three car in my backyard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fuzz1111 posted:

I'm looking to buy a breaker bar, and while comparing prices I stumbled across this thing advertised to "Multiply your turning torque by up to 8 times with a single hammer blow!". I figured they weren't suggesting smashing the plastic handle to pieces so I went searching for info about it worked, and eventually (after quite a bit of digging) I found that they are sold under various brands (including SP Tools) one of which had this helpful image explaining the operation:

Has anyone ever used anything like this? Are they any good?
If possible, a breaker bar with the female side of the hinge joint on the socket side, and the male on the handle side, is slightly better - if it snaps, it's usually at the female side's ears, so cheaper to replace that way, but it's a fractional difference in terms of what you should buy.

I would also recommend a regular breaker bar and a separate manual impact driver.

two forty posted:

I want a set of British Standard Whitworth wrenches (spanners?) to use on my old English bicycles. On ebay it seems like the best I can do is $40-45 for a set of eight which seems somewhat unreasonable to me. They won't be seeing heavy use or anything, but I hate beating up the nuts with an adjustable. The fasteners on these Raleighs are :britain: as hell, with Whitworth heads and a non-standard 26tpi so I can't just replace them with modern hardware and need to preserve them. Surely there's a factory in China churning these wrenches out for cheap, right? Or do I just pay the premium for tools for an obsolete specialty fastener gauge with negligible demand?

(One of the better brands is made in England and called King Dick which amuses me greatly but a waste of money for my purposes.)

The fact you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a standard!

I can get a set of cheaper ones for $20-$25. If you can wait until November, I'll bring a set to the US with me and send them in the post to you from there, which should save you a bit of money - though $40 really isn't unreasonable, that's $5 per spanner.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Splizwarf posted:

Found here for Brits. Looks like it's a bit more expensive on your side of the Atlantic, but I suppose as Stanley's an American company it's an "import" for you, even though they're likely all made the same place in China.

That thing is no loving joke, Snap-on wrenches will flex open before that thing does.

I love that wrench and use it on almost everything. If there was a fire, it would be one of the things I would grab. I wish they made smaller ones too.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

two forty posted:

I have a shitload that I never use and need to get rid of. PM me a list of sizes that you need and I'll see what I've got.

Ugh never mind, thought you were in the UK. Who let Whitworth out?!

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 4, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh, my bad. I thought you were British yourself. Herp derp.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

two forty posted:

How well would spline wrenches/spanners/sockets work?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Do you know where the drains etc run, would it be possible to have an inspection pit? Or build it tall enough for a lift?

An inspection pit would be nice, but I don't really want to start tearing up the foundation. Plus it might just fill with water, I'm not sure how far down I am able to go.

InitialDave posted:

It may be worth running your garage wiring separately from the house if you can, mine is on its own consumer unit coming off the meter tails.

Whatever building used to be on the pad may well have been wired -- there's conduit running from right by the meter on the wall of the house. I'm not actually sure where it comes out, but I'm betting it used to hold a run to a sub-panel on the building. A separate install would be nice, but if the infrastructure is there already it might be a lot cheaper to make do.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

revmoo posted:

Floor drain and hoist would be my priorities.

Don't you need fresh, virgin concrete to do acid washing? I'd do that, it's a really nice look.

I would like to plan a hoist, but I think I'd be nervous about hanging an engine off a roof truss, especially when a Harbor Freight floor-standing hoist costs just a few hundred bucks.

It's not exactly fresh concrete -- it's been sitting in the elements at least since August, maybe longer. I like acid washing too, but we have a well/septic tank and I would probably worry about the runoff.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know where you live, but floor drains in a garage are now a no no where I live. Something about draining your oil right into the drain makes people go bonkers. (Thanks grandpa for ruining it for the rest of us.)

If you have a good conduit then pulling wire for a sub panel should be easy. I had a separate meter installed on mine and it costs me an extra 10 bucks a month to the electric company, but I didn't have to pay $2,000 to run conduit and wire, so in 16 years I get screwed 10 bucks a month.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Why not just buy a narrow double door (16') so you have the option if you eve want to park two car in there in the future. Besides if you ever sell the house 'two car garage' sells me way faster than 'one car garage'.

Actually resale value is an excellent point, I hadn't thought of that.

What I think I might do is put a 16' door on one side, and a 9' door centered on the opposite site. There's actually quite a quantity of gravel hard-standing on the other side of the garage, and I can definitely see it being useful to drive straight through the garage to store stuff (boat, trailers, whatever) on the far side.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I don't know where you live, but floor drains in a garage are now a no no where I live. Something about draining your oil right into the drain makes people go bonkers. (Thanks grandpa for ruining it for the rest of us.)

I'm in rural WV. Environmental regulation is not really what we do.

Besides, that floor drain either dumps into the ground (and subsequently my drinking water) or into my septic tank. Putting oil down there ain't going to work out well for me either way. From the few clues that are left from the original building, I think it was designed for cleaning deer or maybe taxidermy.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Have any of you ever added another port to the tank on your air compressor? I need air on the other side of my garage so I'm going to run steel hard lines. Right now the only port is the one coming off the regulator. I'd like to just leave that one as is for running low pressure air tools on that side of the garage, and then have a full port ball valve coming directly off the tank so the lines hard lines will have full volume tank pressure.

I'll probably put a ceiling mounted air reel off of the lines on the way and a regulator on the other end, but for now I just need to figure out a way to get another outlet on the air receptacle. I have a 135 amp mig, but I'm not sure if there is a trick to welding those in a way that they won't explode under high pressure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can tee it before the regulator? Welding a pressure vessel is pretty specialized and regulated pretty much everywhere as far as I know.

Not that you're going to have an inspector knocking on your garage door, but if something did happen and it was because of a weld you might have issues.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking at these three cordless drills

Black and Decker LDX120C
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LDX120C-20-Volt-Lithium-Ion/dp/B005NNF0YU
- 20v
- Lithium
- comes with 1 battery
- 3/8" chuck
- 650 RPM
- 3.5 lbs
- 10.6 x 3.7 x 8.5 inches
- $66.26

Dewalt DC970K
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC970K-2-18-Volt-Drill-Driver/dp/B002RLR0EY
- 18v
- NiCAD
- comes with 2 batteries
- 1/2" chuck
- 0-450/0-1,500 rpm
- 5.2 lbs
- 14.8 x 13.5 x 4.7 inches
- $89.00

PORTER-CABLE PCC606LA
http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCCK600LB-20-volt-2-Inch-Lithium/dp/B009JBBF0A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
- 20v
- Lithium
- comes with 1 battery
- 1/2" chuck
- 0-400/0-1,600 RPM)
- 4.3 lbs
- 8.8 x 3.7 x 9.8 inches
- $89.31

I'm leaning towards the Porter-Cable. Is there any reason to get the Dewalt? Does the lower price on the Black and Decker make it worth it over the other two?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Miata for scale. I rather like the idea of having big doors on both sides -- it'd be nice in the summer to get some airflow there, good for parties, keep an eye on the kids, blow out paint fumes or sawdust...

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

slidebite posted:

Can tee it before the regulator? Welding a pressure vessel is pretty specialized and regulated pretty much everywhere as far as I know.

Not that you're going to have an inspector knocking on your garage door, but if something did happen and it was because of a weld you might have issues.
Yeah it's just threaded brass running to the regulator, but it's only 1/4" which isn't ideal for very long runs. I called the local specialty welders and they said they have done it a bunch, could do it for $75.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

Buy Knipex.

They're well worth it. I got tired of breaking China-poo poo too.

http://www.knipex.com/

Hell yes, Knipex owns. I mean, they make nothing but pliers, I feel pretty confident that they know their poo poo. Also I've used a bunch of different ones and they beat most other crap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tonedef131 posted:

Yeah it's just threaded brass running to the regulator, but it's only 1/4" which isn't ideal for very long runs. I called the local specialty welders and they said they have done it a bunch, could do it for $75.

$75 is cheap enough so I'd say go for it. Is it possible the bung on the tank for the regulator actually bigger than 1/4 and just reduced? I've seen that before too. The OEMs like to save a few bucks and go to 1/4 hardware.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

slidebite posted:

$75 is cheap enough so I'd say go for it. Is it possible the bung on the tank for the regulator actually bigger than 1/4 and just reduced? I've seen that before too. The OEMs like to save a few bucks and go to 1/4 hardware.
It's 1/4" right out of the tank. It's just a lovely little 35 gal single stage. I keep wishing the drat thing would die so I can replace it with a real compressor.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Don't weld your tank and don't run full pressure air in the pipes, both are dangerous and completely unnecessary. 1/4npt will flow way more than enough for what you need. You can use whatever size pipe you want, they don't have to match size.

If you're having issues with flow replace the regulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
If the compressor is so lovely and you want rid of it, why are you planning to spend money on parts and labor for it? Spend the money on a larger compressor instead.