Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, it's not just "Hobbits, but with ADD". It's "Hobbits with ADD, who are absolutely awful, but somehow everyone finds it endearing".

Kenders aren't even the worst midgets to come out of Dragonlance; that dubious honor goes to the Tinker Gnomes. D&D was always quite bad at having race descriptions go "these people are always exactly like this, with no deviation or individual characterization", but for Dragonlance they went with racial behaviors that should logically have resulted in the extinction of the entire species long ago, through sheer stupidity and obnoxiousness.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kender are definitely annoying and lame, as are tinker gnomes, but if that makes you angry enough to write a bunch of swear words in red text over old-rear end racial entries I think you might need to re-evaluate everything in your life.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I mean whoever wrote that book churned out like five columns of text for "Hobbits, but with ADD".

Hobbits with ADD, kleptomania, and a complete inability to grasp social graces!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lurdiak posted:

That's a post from /tg/ alright. All it's missing is the racial slurs.

It says "retarded" which is pretty insensitive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anyone who's never had to ST for a Fishmalk or DM for a Kender won't understand just how bloodcurdlingly awful that entry is.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 2, 2014

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Here you go, Rich! Do you see what happens, Burlew? This is what happens when you don't update on time, Burlew! This is what happens, Burlew!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
The funny thing is that he's been updating a lot lately, and rather than have more comic discussion it just means we go on dumb derails FASTER so that we can get just as much in before the next comic.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Sefer posted:

The funny thing is that he's been updating a lot lately, and rather than have more comic discussion it just means we go on dumb derails FASTER so that we can get just as much in before the next comic.

The Law of Conservation of Derail.

So, regarding the comic: Geoff essentially has a shoe-phone.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Hey, it's not just "Hobbits, but with ADD". It's "Hobbits with ADD, who are absolutely awful, but somehow everyone finds it endearing".

Kenders aren't even the worst midgets to come out of Dragonlance; that dubious honor goes to the Tinker Gnomes. D&D was always quite bad at having race descriptions go "these people are always exactly like this, with no deviation or individual characterization", but for Dragonlance they went with racial behaviors that should logically have resulted in the extinction of the entire species long ago, through sheer stupidity and obnoxiousness.

Aren't they the ones who went into space or whatever the gently caress Spelljammer's space between worlds is but didn't know how to get down or something? The Tinker Gnomes I mean.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Anyone who's never had to ST for a Fiskmalk or DM for a Kender won't understand just how bloodcurdlingly awful that entry is.

Do you mean Fishmalk? Because I'm pretty sure Both Wilson and Carlton Fisk work better as Ventrue.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

The Law of Conservation of Derail.

So, regarding the comic: Geoff essentially has a shoe-phone.

Are there any sort of rules for how wands work in the OOTS universe?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do you mean Fishmalk? Because I'm pretty sure Both Wilson and Carlton Fisk work better as Ventrue.
Yes. Yes I do.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vadun posted:

Are there any sort of rules for how wands work in the OOTS universe?

He probably has ranks in Use Magic Device to let him bypass the normal requirements for using a wand.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I didn't think anything of it at first, but now I believe Bozzok's one panel appearance had more significance. He asks where Haley is, but more subtly, he's shaving. That could be just a throwaway detail, but I don't think it is given that it's Rich we're talking about. I think he's getting ready to meet someone more important than he is (And although the OOTS probably gained some levels since they last ran into him, it's worth noting he was already at least 4 levels higher than Haley because Sneak Attack blah blah blah rules. :spergin:) Or at least do Something important or significant that requires him to look his best.

I think the OOTS is about to get a new assassin or assassins sent after them for the next book.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

Kender are definitely annoying and lame, as are tinker gnomes, but if that makes you angry enough to write a bunch of swear words in red text over old-rear end racial entries I think you might need to re-evaluate everything in your life.

Yeah, that person will never get the five minutes it took to make the joke back. Truly a tragedy.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's a post from /tg/ alright. All it's missing is the racial slurs.

Kendar go home.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Not every fantasy idea is a good idea. Some of the dumber ideas are pretty dumb. Just how much time is spent arguing over the minutia of particular cases of that is positively insane.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Not every fantasy idea is a good idea. Some of the dumber ideas are pretty dumb. Just how much time is spent arguing over the minutia of particular cases of that is positively insane.

What's the converse of that? What's the coolest fantasy idea anyone here's ever had or heard of?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Speedball posted:

What's the converse of that? What's the coolest fantasy idea anyone here's ever had or heard of?

Fantasy about the heat death of the Universe, I guess. You don't get cooler than that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The difference between a cool idea and a dumb idea is often a question of delivery and context.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Speedball posted:

Some one challenging a writer to write a story combining the Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon and then turning it into a best selling series of novels.

Cat Mattress posted:

The difference between a cool idea and a dumb idea is often a question of delivery and context.

Yepppppppppppppppp.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cat Mattress posted:

"So it's this stick figure webcomic, and it's about Dungeons and Dragons, and the elf is gender ambiguous, and the halfling is a psycho and- where are you going? Come back! I didn't tell you about the bard yet! The joke is that bards aren't a good class."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think that silly png was worth seeing just to remember that apparently there's a logical opposite to the 'good aligned vampires' character concept.

quote:

Some one challenging a writer to write a story combining the Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon and then turning it into a best selling series of novels.

I must know.

quote:

I didn't think anything of it at first, but now I believe Bozzok's one panel appearance had more significance. He asks where Haley is, but more subtly, he's shaving. That could be just a throwaway detail, but I don't think it is given that it's Rich we're talking about. I think he's getting ready to meet someone more important than he is (And although the OOTS probably gained some levels since they last ran into him, it's worth noting he was already at least 4 levels higher than Haley because Sneak Attack blah blah blah rules. ) Or at least do Something important or significant that requires him to look his best.

I think the OOTS is about to get a new assassin or assassins sent after them for the next book.

I don't think Bozzok gains levels to keep pace with the PC's, he needed to be higher level to serve as the core "threat" to Haley and Belkar for that arc; there isn't a compelling narrative purpose that he keep pace with that, being on par for the course is probably fine; almost certain if he's going to be playing second fiddle to some bigger more powerful person (Because it presents a possible set up for being a temporary PC in the usual "Don't you have PRIDE!?" team switching moment).

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. I don't know if I'd call it best-selling, but it is enjoyable, if not as good as his main series, the Dresden Files.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jim Butcher was posting on the Del Rey Online Writer’s Workshop on a topic of "what matters more, good core idea or good execution". According to his own description, it had degenerated to the kind of thread where you "hit reply, press caps lock and then start typing". The other guy was being a real horses rear end, and bet him that Jim couldn't write a book based off a crazy core concept. Jim accepted, and the guy said they two of them were the lost roman legion... and pokemon. Jim started plotting it out, realized he could sell it, posted back that he had some ideas how it would work but didn't want to post them because that would shoot he book contract in the foot. They other guy started riding his rear end about running away and "winning". Jim Butcher then sold it as a 6 book fantasy series that he made a bunch of money off of.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

This guy's idea of 'lame', 'difficult' source material to work with is a fantasy franchise which was insanely popular in its heyday and even now, 15 years later, can still get 4 million copies of something sold in a single weekend.

Mr. Challenger basically handed his adversary "things doing fancy fantasy battle with other things" and "coming of age saga" as story elements to work with. Well, that's certainly never drawn an audience before. What's a Star Wars?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I sure hope Rich is doing fine.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think Bozzok gains levels to keep pace with the PC's, he needed to be higher level to serve as the core "threat" to Haley and Belkar for that arc; there isn't a compelling narrative purpose that he keep pace with that, being on par for the course is probably fine; almost certain if he's going to be playing second fiddle to some bigger more powerful person (Because it presents a possible set up for being a temporary PC in the usual "Don't you have PRIDE!?" team switching moment).

Yeah, Crystal gained levels with Haley because she's a major rival or whatever the official term is and there are actual game mechanics for that, so it works as an exposition gag and fits with the story. Bozzok is more of a boss character so he just gains levels whenever he needs to be an actual threat to the protagonists. I assume that's how boss characters work in DnD.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, Crystal gained levels with Haley because she's a major rival or whatever the official term is and there are actual game mechanics for that, so it works as an exposition gag and fits with the story. Bozzok is more of a boss character so he just gains levels whenever he needs to be an actual threat to the protagonists. I assume that's how boss characters work in DnD.

Bozzok could also plausibly be at the same level, so that when the Order comes back from the West they just steamroll right over him to show how much more powerful they are now (both in terms of level/CR, and in terms of their ability to fight more effectively as a team), in order to build anticipation for the fight with Xykon. (Or it could be nothing - Bozzok only being there to help wrap up Haley's dad's subplot.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Bozzok could also plausibly be at the same level, so that when the Order comes back from the West they just steamroll right over him to show how much more powerful they are now (both in terms of level/CR, and in terms of their ability to fight more effectively as a team), in order to build anticipation for the fight with Xykon. (Or it could be nothing - Bozzok only being there to help wrap up Haley's dad's subplot.)

Bozzok was at least level 17 when we last saw him. So he is at least 2 or 3 levels ahead of the Order.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, Crystal gained levels with Haley because she's a major rival or whatever the official term is and there are actual game mechanics for that

Are there? I know that 3E has a lot of crazy and silly optional subsystems, but I've never even heard of this one.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

inthesto posted:

Are there? I know that 3E has a lot of crazy and silly optional subsystems, but I've never even heard of this one.

It's called "I want your rival to be a credible threat so I added some extra oomph." I have never heard of specific rival rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

inthesto posted:

There are no such specific rules, either for rivals or bosses. The closest thing 3.x has to a 'boss' system is an enemy of CR 1-4 greater than the party (which is still criminally easy if the party is working together well/has a couple casters).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not a D&D rule, a general RPG rule. See also: level scaling.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think my point was lost.

The only reason I brought up Bozzok's level was to demonstrate that he wasn't exactly small potatoes himself. It follows that if there's someone above him on the food chain, they're probably bad news for the OOTS.

And unlike with Tarquin & Friends, the Bravely Run Away Away Strategy probably won't be feasible this time.

As for the level scaling thing with Crystal.. that honestly sounds like more of a console RPG trope than a PnP one. I'm not sure how he got that out of D&D, or any PnP game (To his credit, Rich does use this very sparingly; I think only Crystal and the Linear Guild have kept pace with the OOTS.)
PnP can (Or even should) have more strict demographics than console RPGs to avoid the Monsters in the Next Town Are Stronger issue. There were even rules back in 2nd edition that said an 18th level character was one in a million. And if someone like that dies, a generic one should not just appear ex nihilo from the void to take their place so the PCs can continue grinding levels. And there certainly should not be a dungeon or castle where every encounter involves 18th level hired goons because that's what's needed to challenge the PCs. That kind of thing completely cheapens and destroys any sense of progression or accomplishment.

(Yeah I.. played with a DM who did not understand this. It was not pleasant.)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Jim Butcher was posting on the Del Rey Online Writer’s Workshop on a topic of "what matters more, good core idea or good execution". According to his own description, it had degenerated to the kind of thread where you "hit reply, press caps lock and then start typing". The other guy was being a real horses rear end, and bet him that Jim couldn't write a book based off a crazy core concept. Jim accepted, and the guy said they two of them were the lost roman legion... and pokemon. Jim started plotting it out, realized he could sell it, posted back that he had some ideas how it would work but didn't want to post them because that would shoot he book contract in the foot. They other guy started riding his rear end about running away and "winning". Jim Butcher then sold it as a 6 book fantasy series that he made a bunch of money off of.

For reference, don't bother reading it.

The final fight of the book is literally a "flying around and shooting kamehamehas" Dragon Ball Z fight and it's the most awful bullshit. The books were at least fun up until that point.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

rotinaj posted:

For reference, don't bother reading it.

The final fight of the book is literally a "flying around and shooting kamehamehas" Dragon Ball Z fight and it's the most awful bullshit. The books were at least fun up until that point.

The best bit was getting all the dudes who can control air to create a giant lens and setting fire to an enemy army approaching over a bridge and the series went downhill rapidly when it went from 'crazy things to do with powers' to 'crazy powers, also magic Tyranids'.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Illuyankas posted:

The best bit was getting all the dudes who can control air to create a giant lens and setting fire to an enemy army approaching over a bridge and the series went downhill rapidly when it went from 'crazy things to do with powers' to 'crazy powers, also magic Tyranids'.

pretty much this. I forget which book had the invasion plot, but that was where the series peaked for me and the last book was such a slog.

But the series set up these deeply personal connections between the (secondary) protagonists and their powers in the first book going as far as giving the avatars names and some low level personalities, only to have that get tossed aside later in the series in favor of more generic Air, earth, water, fire powers.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Illuyankas posted:

That's amazing. I'm always annoyed when there is a group of people with superpowers who don't do some creative teamwork with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

inthesto posted:

I've never played DnD, this comic is my only familiarity with any of the rules. If Rich says something in a way that sounds like a funny riff on a real rule I'll probably believe it.