Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

There is all sorts of crazy in the comments. Holy hell. But yeah, Verizon as a title sponsor would be totes fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

George Zimmer posted:

There is all sorts of crazy in the comments. Holy hell. But yeah, Verizon as a title sponsor would be totes fantastic.

Those comments are indiana.txt.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IBJ has completely fabricated IndyCar articles in the past, so keep that in mind with literally anything they say or report.

Also IMS is gonna do a historics weekend: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2014/02/04/vintage-car-race-coming-to-indianapolis-motor-speedway/5209197/

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 4, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

I have no idea why crapwagon/smackedforum users obsess over a series they supposedly "don't care about".

"People aren't watching because of the DW-12"

"Ask Dario and Mario Andretti about why they hate the ICS" (Yeah the two most vocal supporters of it?)

"Carlos Munoz is the modern day Josele Garza" (....okay....)

Criticism of the series is definitely warranted, but the stuff they chose to criticize is often irrelevant to the big picture at times.

e: Yeah, I feel Verizon would be a tremendous get. I happen to think they're a better carrier than Sprint, and they happen to have deals with the NFL/NHL.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

George Zimmer posted:

I put that article title in Google but changed IndyCar to ChampCar and this was the first result.

http://www.wheels.ca/tv-deal-fuels-optimism-of-champ-car-bosses/

quote:

He also sees the possibility of 18 races next season, up from 15 this year: "As the series and the teams get healthier financially, we will move forward," he said. "I could see a 20-race schedule in the not-too-distant future." And Johnson thinks Champ Car will have a title sponsor by 2008: "We are in discussions right now with several Fortune 100 companies and that doesn't mean we've sent them proposals. We're talking."

Kalkhoven is more circumspect.

"I think you will see an extension of what we're doing (this year). We introduced the new Panoz chassis this season (all teams run the same car), we introduced standing starts (a la Formula One), we have some great new venues (Las Vegas, Phoenix) and we've got a great new TV package

I really hope they know what they are doing right now.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

quote:

“[Sponsors’] ability to help us grow the sport, project the brand and enhance our fan experience is the highest priority,” he said. “The rights fee is secondary to that.”

That is the first thing I've seen from IndyCar to date that demonstrates good business sense :bravo:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Indy with a competent telecommunications arm involved is an interesting prospect indeed. My bias obviously leans toward hockey but having that kind of stuff available online could make me more than a casual fan and get me following it like F1.

Tt'll be the death of Indiecar, won't it though! Sellouts!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I just hope Verizon, if they are a title sponsor, allows anyone to use the Indycar app. The thing is almost worthless if you're not a Verizon customer.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I just hope Verizon, if they are a title sponsor, allows anyone to use the Indycar app. The thing is almost worthless if you're not a Verizon customer.

Don't get your hopes up, that sort of thing is industry standard.

Like I've said many times, Verizon is perfect for IndyCar and IndyCar provides all the advertising they need. All they have to do is put a yellow stock car on a track against a DW-12 for 30 seconds and compare it to their network, enough said.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

KingShibby posted:

Like I've said many times, Verizon is perfect for IndyCar and IndyCar provides all the advertising they need. All they have to do is put a yellow stock car on a track against a DW-12 for 30 seconds and compare it to their network, enough said.

The marketing really writes itself. Not to mention the extensive content distribution network IndyCar would have access to.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Oh man that would be a fantastic ad. All of the shade thrown. ALL OF IT. Do it at IMS for maximum Haterade value.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

harperdc posted:

Do it at IMS for maximum Haterade value.

Where else would you do it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Verizon really would be a dream partner. But I feel like if it really was imminent and obvious for both of them, they would have announced it before Izod left. Hope Miles can sell them on it.

Really, if Verizon agreed to do a ton of placement/ads, IndyCar would probably give them the title sponsorship for free anyway.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Verizon really would be a dream partner. But I feel like if it really was imminent and obvious for both of them, they would have announced it before Izod left. Hope Miles can sell them on it.

Really, if Verizon agreed to do a ton of placement/ads, IndyCar would probably give them the title sponsorship for free anyway.

I had an idea to offer GoPro rights to be the presenting sponsor of the schedule.

The schedule for USAC for example used to be called the "MARLBORO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TRAIL", back in the days when they would run everywhere from Dirt Tracks to Pikes Peak to Indianapolis.

Using that as a way to market the schedule and championship itself would be a very cool thing.

e: No gimmicks either. Just go on about the uniqueness faced in becoming a champion, the type of venues, the Astor Cup, etc.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 5, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Alex Tagliani will be running NASCAR Canadian Tire series, so you can count him out for any open rides right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Alex Tagliani will be running NASCAR Canadian Tire series, so you can count him out for any open rides right now.
I'm happy for him, he will bring some good extra publicity to the series and hes hardly over the hill as two years ago proved. His only option for staying in IndyCar was probably being a 'super sub' for the next year and theres never any guarantees with that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I'm happy for him, he will bring some good extra publicity to the series and hes hardly over the hill as two years ago proved. His only option for staying in IndyCar was probably being a 'super sub' for the next year and theres never any guarantees with that.

I think it's possible his name could pop up in May. He's a proven guy, and there's gotta be someone who'd need a veteran of his skill to run with.

Was hoping he'd land in the 8, but alas, that wasn't mean't to be.

Kind of dig the Canadian Tire Series TBH.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Kind of dig the Canadian Tire Series TBH.

How can you hate a series that runs Mosport, Trois-Rivières and then a series of .250 and .333 ovals.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

LordPants posted:

How can you hate a series that runs Mosport, Trois-Rivières and then a series of .250 and .333 ovals.
Because NASCAR took a better series, pissed all over it and came up with this poo poo?

Its a blatent cash-grab up here, even moreso than down south. Rule changes that added nothing to the product, just to get nascar-backed suppliers involved, playing politics with race dates, ignoring Canadian holiday weekends for scheduling up until last season, the fact that they wont reach out to other manufacturers for support - I can go on.

If it wasn't for their excellent TV deal and the truck race at mosport, the series would be dead.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Because NASCAR took a better series, pissed all over it and came up with this poo poo?

It can't be nearly as bad as the new Chase format...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

But will Bronte still write the fashion blog for the Keystone at the Crossing mall in Indianapolis? These are the more important Driver's Hot Wife questions we need answered.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So has Racer been down for everyone else for the past ~24h? Seems their website team might be more inept than Indycar Marketing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

So has Racer been down for everyone else for the past ~24h? Seems their website team might be more inept than Indycar Marketing.

Yeah it was down for me too. I wanted to read Robin Miller's mailbag to see if he answered my question. He didn't :saddowns:

Edit: Is it just me or could the writer of the last question of the Mailbag someone itt? :iiam:

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 6, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, they are launching a site redesign and its been flaky. I used it a little last night while it actually worked and its one of the few site redesigns that I've liked in the history of the internet, so at least we have that.

Racer's popularity explosion is pretty interesting. They picked the bones of Speed and other dying websites at perfectly the right time.

e: Oooo big domino news. RLL gets National Guard afterall, Graham will drive in Nat Guard colors all year. Second car for RLL is now locked in with their other sponsorship, supposedly Oriol has a line on the seat. Panther probably going to end up taking that young dude with money that have been testing.

http://racing.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-indycars-rahal-gets-guard-sponsor

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 6, 2014

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Cygni posted:

Panther probably going to end up taking that young dude with money that have been testing.
Meanwhile Conor Daly is asking fans on Twitter for sponsor suggestions :smith:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AceFace905 posted:

Meanwhile Conor Daly is asking fans on Twitter for sponsor suggestions :smith:

His step-dad is the PRESIDENT OF IMS, and WORKED FOR PANTHER for god's sake.

I have no idea how the hell he doesn't have a ride just based on those two points alone.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

His step-dad is the PRESIDENT OF IMS, and WORKED FOR PANTHER for god's sake.

I have no idea how the hell he doesn't have a ride just based on those two points alone.

Isn't his ride is in LMPC with Rocketsports in TUSC? My how he fell.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's amazing what happens to home-grown American open wheelers. His dad was a loving hotshoe, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

He wasnt super impressive in GP3 (although not bad by any stretch), and he really hurt his US exposure by spending all that time in Europe chasing the dumb F1 DREAM. If he would have done 2 years of Lights, he might have had a better shot at getting a ride. None of the funded teams are gonna roll the dice on a rookie unless you dominate and being a medium fish in the big GP3 pond isn't going to do that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

He wasnt super impressive in GP3 (although not bad by any stretch), and he really hurt his US exposure by spending all that time in Europe chasing the dumb F1 DREAM. If he would have done 2 years of Lights, he might have had a better shot at getting a ride. None of the funded teams are gonna roll the dice on a rookie unless you dominate and being a medium fish in the big GP3 pond isn't going to do that.

What's bizarre is his dad was pushing the move to do GP3 because he felt the "Road to Indy" ladder was not good, and that's why he pushed him over there.

quote:

"The day that Atlantic collapsed was when I realized how weak the American ladder system is," Daly remarks."When that happened, I knew that Conor had to go to Europe to race in GP3 and then GP2. A young driver has to push himself at the highest level possible and the Atlantic car was a good car to learn in. It always was a good formula and the latest Mazda version was just as good. It looked good for a year or two but then it collapsed and that was a bad day for the sport.

"I'm afraid both Star Mazda and Indy Lights are so weak that there's no credibility if you win there," Daly declares."The rest of the world outside of America looks at those series and completely discounts them because there's no depth to them. So the problems get compounded as you go forward because there's no depth or structure. The system isn't there. It's strung together but there's no structure to develop the drivers at a high enough level."

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2013/the_way_it_is_no391.html

e: To add Conor has been very pro-IRL/ICS on twitter, and his views sound nothing like his dad.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 6, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It really depends on where you want to go, though. Yes, F1 is going to look at Pro Mazda / Lights and laugh because yes, the fields are small and the depth is not that great; any good driver can dominate and look like a great driver.

But, you put yourself at a lot of risk to go run GP3. The Indycar teams aren't going to think much of you unless you do well enough there to also get the attention of the F1 teams, and they're willing to overlook some of the depth issues on Lights racers since they at least have been on ovals before.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

@ConorDaly22 18h

I feel like James Hunt in the @rushthemovie scene where hes goin crazy trying to find a drive. Minus the drugs alcohol cool hair an hot wife

I take it back, get this guy a ride

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But what is James Hunt when you take away the drugs, alcohol, cool hair, and hot wife?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

But what is James Hunt when you take away the drugs, alcohol, cool hair, and hot wife?
Nigel Mansell?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thor

Cygni posted:

I take it back, get this guy a ride

There's a bunch of drivers that need a ride :cry:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Idk, I would like Hildebrand to get another full time shot. Same for Vautier, Hawksworth, and Karam. I like Felipe Nasr, Sam Bird, and Fabio Leimer too but I think those guys are heart set on F1.

Jakes, Simona, and Oriol are sorta perma-mid packers in my view, so I'd be happy if they got a ride... but honestly would be more excited by the young guys getting a chance.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I guess my selfish self just wants to meet female IndyCar drivers while I'm in Indy and the whole Belle Isle weekend, is that too much to ask? :pervert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

:stare:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

I felt the urge to make a new avatar after my last post and I'm bored at work on Friday afternoon :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

no bia voted 4/5

• Locked thread