Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Lazlow posted:

Give him the gloves and go play midfield.

Every once in a while (when I show up late and we have two keepers already) I'll play forward, but I'm terrible at it. If given a choice, I'll play keeper every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My coach used to make me play forward as a defender. It is loving stupid.

I'm a full back normally, wishing I could play in the center, but the one time coach subbed me on as a striker in a game and I almost scored has him convinced Id do better up front (I do not)

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

We routinely all switch around our positions because it's one of the easiest ways to improve your game. Forces you to adapt and train you to do things you'd otherwise ignore

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

My coach used to make me play forward as a defender. It is loving stupid.

I'm a full back normally, wishing I could play in the center, but the one time coach subbed me on as a striker in a game and I almost scored has him convinced Id do better up front (I do not)

When I went from playing open(18+) to over-30 I got switched from playing wing back to striker, that was an adjustment, especially finishing, but if you have a bit of ability it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Our defenders love it when they get a chance to play up top since it so rarely happens.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

When I went from playing open(18+) to over-30 I got switched from playing wing back to striker, that was an adjustment, especially finishing, but if you have a bit of ability it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Our defenders love it when they get a chance to play up top since it so rarely happens.

I much prefer being a defender. I don't care about about scoring goals. I love shutting people down tbh. That's what I enjoy. Super physical, and strikers get mad when you take them down. So far I have only one yellow in the 3 years I've played because I do my fouls smart. I'm a big guy, but I'm fast which surprises my opponents. I do the big black thing and "put my belly on him son." I've heard many many insults because they couldn't get through me. Most of my record has no goals scored save 5 my career. Only one my fault-ish when a shot deflected off of me and went in.

I love defending.

Trying to strike was weird. Scored my first and only goal which wasn't too spectacular, but it was a volley and the keeper was my friend so he won't let it go. Almost scored two trying to sweat it to a teammate but he missed and it missed the post my inches.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As someone who has played in defence/goal since I was a little kid I relish getting put up front as some sort of magical delayed birthday present. With 4 goals over the last 2 years it even occasionally pays off :krad:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I played forward my entire time as a youth when coaches were deciding where we played. I got out of school and started playing pick-up soccer. I'm so drat competitive that whenever we were giving up goals, I'd drop back to defense and ended up with a reputation as being a nasty defender. I've been playing stopper or sweeper ever since on the league teams I've joined. I think I went a few seasons with having bloody knees after every game. I almost never end up on the ground anymore. I'm 34 now, and I can't change directions as fast anymore and it's frustrating. I'm playing smarter than ever, but my body is finally breaking down:( I want to move to midfield. Everyone says I'm the best defender on the team, but looking at the younger athletic people on my team, they would be beasts if they applied themselves. Defense is easier than scoring goals.

I've been playing soccer for over 25 years now, and it seems to me that defense is for thinkers and strategists and striking is for quick reactions and instincts.
How do you guys feel about that?

I've also noticed how leg length has its advantages and disadvantages. As a defender with long legs I can reach out to block and intercept with them really well and poke balls away, but it's also easier to be megged. As a striker, my longer legs make quick cutting while dribbling more difficult and I have less control over the ball at top speed because of my longer strides.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
In actual 11vs11 I have mostly played as a left back or the occasional centre back during my youth days till now, so I'm pretty good at defending and not afraid to hassle defenders. Sometimes I've been put to play as a left winger/midfielder because ''ugh, this guy is left footed, so...'' even though I don't think I'm that pacey for a winger and feel somewhat out of my element there. Also I probably don't have the stamina required to play there because I don't have the iron lungs that a few naturally do have regardless of the training.

I'm decent enough at central midfield or as the defensive midfielder, but I probably will never be any good as a striker. I'm probably good enough at striking a static ball, but I can't really do the move the ball to your stronger foot and shoot thing with a decent shot on goal that good forwards usually excel at.

Seeing as my team has only one central defender atm, some people have suggested that I should also play there. But the thing is I'm a bit of a twink at 6 feet and 150 lbs so I could well be outmuscled by bigger/older guys if I don't have the speed advantage. Like I mentioned I did play centre back during my youth, but this was mostly due to the fact that I reached my height at probably 15 or so and was taller than your average dude at this age group.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Size is helpful for a defender, but not critical. Hell, I'm (let me try and get these conversions to moon-measurements right) 5'10" and 165 pounds, and I rarely have trouble with controlling forwards whether I'm at the back or in goal*. I agree with cosmicjim that being able to think about what's going on and plan appropriately is far more useful a skill to have at the back - your positioning (both on the field and with your body in general) and confidence will win you most challenges. Being decisive is also ridiculously important, since if you just go 100% with your decisions you'll put the other player in two minds and force a mistake more often than not.

*obviously this is with regard to players at my pitiful level of play, since we played a top division team last year in the State Cup and found out exactly what it feels like to be run over by a truck.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

iajanus posted:

Size is helpful for a defender, but not critical. Hell, I'm (let me try and get these conversions to moon-measurements right) 5'10" and 165 pounds, and I rarely have trouble with controlling forwards whether I'm at the back or in goal*. I agree with cosmicjim that being able to think about what's going on and plan appropriately is far more useful a skill to have at the back - your positioning (both on the field and with your body in general) and confidence will win you most challenges. Being decisive is also ridiculously important, since if you just go 100% with your decisions you'll put the other player in two minds and force a mistake more often than not.

I know lots of short defenders that do fantastic.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

iajanus posted:

Being decisive is also ridiculously important, since if you just go 100% with your decisions you'll put the other player in two minds and force a mistake more often than not.

Keeper here, but confirming this. I always charge the ball if it's looking anything near a breakaway, and if I don't get to it before the attacker, he usually makes a mistake that causes a turnover or at least a blown chance.

Cut down on the amount of time the attacker has to make his own move, and you've already won.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Trips posted:

Cut down on the amount of time the attacker has to make his own move, and you've already won.
It certainly beats standing there like a statue on your line and letting him pick which corner of the net he'd like to score in :).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

cosmicjim posted:

I know lots of short defenders that do fantastic.

Fabio Cannavaro wasn't too bad.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I'm interested to know everyone's pre-match nutrition and warm ups.

I play later today and I just feel like I haven't got any energy from the start. (It's only a 30 min 6-a-side game) but I just feel sluggish from the start.

So basically I'm asking;

- what pre match food / supps do you take
- what warm ups do you do?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Thirteenth Step posted:

I play later today and I just feel like I haven't got any energy from the start. (It's only a 30 min 6-a-side game) but I just feel sluggish from the start.

So basically I'm asking;

Nothing super complicated, but for me an apple or banana or similar a little while (maybe about 20 mins) before playing really helps. As for warm ups, stretching and some jogging to warm up, and then just passing the ball around and taking shots (substitute with drills of your choice)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Thirteenth Step posted:

So basically I'm asking;

Adderall and a beer for carbs. Not even kidding.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Thirteenth Step posted:

So basically I'm asking;

I usually have bakes beans and two scrambled eggs about two hours before the game and a banana on the way, does the trick for me.

Warms up I usually do sprints and make sure I limber up my calves as after a while they are prone to cramping up for me (we play 2 hour games).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Adderall and a beer for carbs. Not even kidding.

Kinda what I did.

I really didnt eat anything but had a lot of carbs (beer and pasta) the night before along with a shitload of water.

Hydrating the night before makes a world of difference.

I could never eat before I played. Didn't matter if it was a night game, couldn't eat at all that day or Id get cramps and feel weighed down.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Also I've taken to licking a spoon clean of Nutella before a game, delicious

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I eat whatever but mainly about an hour before I play ill eat a ton of carbs. I gotta time it though. Sometimes I have to poop really badly and I'm out there playing so its pretty embarrassing.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

True, the pre-match poo poo is crucial part of pre-game prep

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

True, the pre-match poo poo is crucial part of pre-game prep

That's why I always have a cup of coffee a couple hours before I play.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

You know I've been meaning to try that, coffee before a workout is meant to be useful as well I understand.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Winter is the season of getting over knee tendonitis. And it's almost over :)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. Ive already conceded I wont play for my team again before I leave Germany. Hopefully there is some where I can play stateside where I get stationed next.

Surgery March 12th ish. Recover for a month then do it all over again.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Thirteenth Step posted:

\- what pre match food / supps do you take

Banana and bagel. Sometimes I used to hit up a sandwich place and get a wholegrain with turkey, spinach, and tomatoes. Warmups are usually easy plyos and some crosses.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Thirteenth Step posted:

So basically I'm asking;

5-hour energy, 15 minutes of stretching

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I just played and my legs were doing that thing again where they felt like they were going to explode and I missed a last-minute sitter. ffs :suicide:

It annoys me when these chavs rock up and smoke like 50 cigarettes before the game and they manage to keep running till the end. Meanwhile I eat well, don't smoke, go gym 3 times a week, have an active job but yet I'm still losing out

smh

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

It annoys me when these chavs rock up and smoke like 50 cigarettes before the game and they manage to keep running till the end. Meanwhile I eat well, don't smoke, go gym 3 times a week, have an active job but yet I'm still losing out

smh

Probably what the Manchester United players says to eachother after drawing with Fulham

to stay on topic, i make sure to get some carbs a few hours before and have good meals through out the day. my warmup is bicycling for fifteen minutes to the pitch. works great, i'm a fantastic player.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

euroboy posted:

Probably what the Manchester United players says to eachother after drawing with Fulham

to stay on topic, i make sure to get some carbs a few hours before and have good meals through out the day. my warmup is bicycling for fifteen minutes to the pitch. works great, i'm a fantastic player.

Shame that transfer fell through.

My routine is a bit different since my matches are in the morning but I try to get up 2 hours before the match and have a glass of orange juice, a cup of coffee, and a granola bar. Along with a whole bunch of water.

Pre-game is a light jog, then some plyometrics, static stretching and then some keepy uppy and passing/shooting.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I lack professionalism in my pre-match routine, but basically I eat whatever 2 hours before the game and then pound a can of Red Bull.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thirteenth Step posted:

I just played and my legs were doing that thing again where they felt like they were going to explode

Symptoms? Hope you don't have the same thing.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
My pre-match routine is generally "eat a couple of eggs, drive 20 minutes to the pitch, stretch out for 10 minutes, jog a lap, take 15-20 shots"

Seems like being a keeper is a bit more work.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
A clif bar and a strong cup of tea. 5 minute warm up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I eat like crap mostly but nothing in the two hours before exercising or ill feel sluggish as anything. Maybe a gel at half time if it's been hard it there. Lots of gatorade, too.

Seconding the coffee requirement, though. The pre match poo poo is very important, especially if the facilities at the park are lacking.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
coffe, pre-match poo poo, banana, water with magnesium, red bull

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
A banana and a red bull before getting there, dynamic stretching (high kicks, heel kicks, etc) and a jog around the pitch. Does the trick.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Adulterous Hitler posted:

coffe, pre-match poo poo, banana, water with magnesium, red bull

Why the magnesium?

I sometimes have a coffee, but that usually makes me feel really dehydrated by half time. If the field doesn't have a water fountain and I've forgotten my water bottle (which often happens), I'm screwed.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
If there's a bar at the pitch, two beers over 45 minutes while stretching and warming up before the match.

I miss Colorado :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Bobby Digital posted:

If there's a bar at the pitch, two beers over 45 minutes while stretching and warming up before the match.

I miss Colorado :(
Beer sounds counter-intuitive, but hydration is more dependent on the day before, not day of.