Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
My work doesn't call snow days unless the office loses power or the server goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

It probably doesn't help that I'm also a computer science major. But seriously, having a tiny rear end Honda with a train horn sounds like a great idea. Maybe I am the people you share a road with?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Uthor posted:

We use large files for CAD work. They need to be stored locally. We do some VPN for putting finished work into the customer's system and just opening and saving the files is a huge pain, much less tying to manipulate them. They don't want the files sent over the Internet to personal computers, plus having to download gigs of information, plus making sure everyone has the same version if someone makes a change, plus accessing the license server for the software, it's not worth setting up for us. There's some provision for taking files on company owned laptops, but I'd rather use a beefy desktop and the file version problems are still there.

Combine the VPN with remote access software, do all the work on your desk computer, avoid all of the hassles you list.

Regarding employers and bad weather, I had a command in the Navy who liked to have everyone come in when the snow was really bad, take muster to make sure they were still OK, and then send them home.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At my current job if they close for snow everybody gets paid for a full day. If you come in anyway because your job isn't affected by classes being cancelled, well, you just got 8 hours of overtime for free :haw:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Uthor posted:

We use large files for CAD work. They need to be stored locally. We do some VPN for putting finished work into the customer's system and just opening and saving the files is a huge pain, much less tying to manipulate them. They don't want the files sent over the Internet to personal computers, plus having to download gigs of information, plus making sure everyone has the same version if someone makes a change, plus accessing the license server for the software, it's not worth setting up for us. There's some provision for taking files on company owned laptops, but I'd rather use a beefy desktop and the file version problems are still there.

Remote Desktop.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Places with snow days are adorable. :allears:

Although, I'd jump at the chance to get a "poo poo's too hot today, yo" day if it's possible to get a second degree burn from just sitting in my car.

:v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

Remote Desktop.

Yeah because using 3D applications over the internet is not laggy at all.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It probably doesn't help that I'm also a computer science major. But seriously, having a tiny rear end Honda with a train horn sounds like a great idea. Maybe I am the people you share a road with?

There have been many days where I wished I had one. I might actually put a small one on the Infiniti. Seems no one sees that car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EightBit posted:

Remote Desktop.

horrible option.

my corporation provides all those tools he mentioned and allows me to connect from home with my laptop with a VPN and it suuuuucks poo poo trying to open CATIA models.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Places with snow days are adorable. :allears:

Although, I'd jump at the chance to get a "poo poo's too hot today, yo" day if it's possible to get a second degree burn from just sitting in my car.

:v:

Yeah, I'd love that, let the South have some respite from driving in their extreme weather. Good excuse to take my doors off and head to the river.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

horrible option.

my corporation provides all those tools he mentioned and allows me to connect from home with my laptop with a VPN and it suuuuucks poo poo trying to open CATIA models.
Ahahaha, your VPN actually connects? Luxury!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

xzzy posted:

Yeah because using 3D applications over the internet is not laggy at all.

Except you're not using it "over the internet"?

The application is launched and run on the host system you're connecting to, what's going over the pipe is the display information.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's a horrible option but still more productive than not doing any work that day at all, if you're getting paid and not burning vacation. No one's advocating doing it every day.

These are the people you share a corporate T3 with

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MikeyTsi posted:

The application is launched and run on the host system you're connecting to, what's going over the pipe is the display information.

Have fun with trying to use something comfortably having all of your display information and input piped over the internet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fucknag posted:

Train horns require a compressor, but getting the horns for a big old Cadillac would have the same effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI

Those are the stock horns.

Those horns are great... but now I want a train horn.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WELL. Just had an encounter that's left me somewhere between seeing red and shaking in terror. I was driving my mom's car to fill up on gas and get a car wash. Guy was riding waaaay too close behind me (in a blacked-out TL with HIDs. Doesn't matter, just to set the mood) for like a mile. Came to a red light by the interstate with traffic backed up, as soon as the car in front of me takes off he's blowing his horn at me. I let a slight space open in front of me, and apparently this was the final straw. He whipped into an opening in the right lane, rolled his window down and starts shouting threats at me, telling me to "get out of the car if I wanna start something". I tried to tell him that he was driving too close, and he says "I was two feet behind you, that's plenty of space!" (he was way closer than that while we were stopped, that was his following distance at 45 mph.)

Then he loving jerked his wheel hard over and gunned it into my lane. I hit the brakes, but I still had to swerve into the empty turn lane to avoid him. He hung back for a second, like he was waiting for me. Eventually he sped off and got into the turn lane onto the highway, I got over and stopped at the first light, so the situation was defused, but this guy looked like he could easily have pulled a gun on me if I breathed wrong.

I've been driving a lot calmer lately just on principle, and even more so since it's my mom's brand new car, and I still get into bullshit encounters like this. gently caress people and gently caress this goddamn country.

Also, to top it off he had earbuds in.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If I could find a way to mount the compressor to support a proper train horn on my car I would totally do it. Unfortunately the only place I could put it is in the trunk. I've even researched what it would take to run a proper train horn on a car with the ability to blow it more than once every 30 minutes:

http://www.oasismfg.com/dc-air-compressors.html

Those things are beastly and can supply the gawping amounts of air a train horn requires (so long as you had a large enough tank to store it in).

This should give you an idea of how much air we're talking about :

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

If I could find a way to mount the compressor to support a proper train horn on my car I would totally do it. Unfortunately the only place I could put it is in the trunk. I've even researched what it would take to run a proper train horn on a car with the ability to blow it more than once every 30 minutes:

http://www.oasismfg.com/dc-air-compressors.html

Those things are beastly and can supply the gawping amounts of air a train horn requires (so long as you had a large enough tank to store it in).

This should give you an idea of how much air we're talking about :

Hmm... I've got a truck so there's potentially enough room for a decent-sized compressor. Granted, would also be handy for an emergency tire inflator.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not condoning this idea but people routinely repurpose accessory belt-driven A/C compressors as air compressors, so if you're willing to give up your A/C you've got a ready option. Finding a place to put the tank on a car is reasonably easy.

I've seen it done on a bike, too, it was some cruiser and I think he used an electrical motor and air tank hidden in a false saddlebag.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

While not anywhere near train horn loud these Stebel Nautilus horns are pretty loud and a lot cheaper and easier to mount.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not condoning this idea but people routinely repurpose accessory belt-driven A/C compressors as air compressors, so if you're willing to give up your A/C you've got a ready option. Finding a place to put the tank on a car is reasonably easy.

I've seen it done on a bike, too, it was some cruiser and I think he used an electrical motor and air tank hidden in a false saddlebag.

I think that only works with those old York compressors that didn't mix lubricant into the refrigerant; if you used a conventional A/C compressor you'd have to find a good way to keep it lubricated.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly it'd be cool if they made drop-in replacement air compressors in that style. Kind of a niche market though, most people'd never need it.

Wonder how hard it would be to rig something up. I know they make belt-driven compressors, just swap an appropriate pulley and fabricate some mounting hardware and you'd be good to go it seems like.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can do it with Sanden SD709T compressors (very common on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, probably common on other makes too) as well if you set it up right. I've seen people use an inline tool oiler on the air inlet and a sintered brass/bronze air line filter on the outlet... with the two plumbed together with piping and a valve so that the output air pressure could be used to pump the oil back into the inline oiler.

Needed an "oil change" once in a while due to dirt/water contamination, but the guy said it worked fine.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Incidentally kastein, when you get the 5 ton fixed up the way you want it, we will all be sorely disappointed if you do not mount a train horn on it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Train horn? pfft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KKaj26Lsw

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

I've been driving a lot calmer lately just on principle, and even more so since it's my mom's brand new car, and I still get into bullshit encounters like this. gently caress people and gently caress this goddamn country.

Seriously dude? Have you seen the dash cam videos from other countries? Road rage isn't just a national phenomenon.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Cleaned out my storage unit last week and found my hella supertones. They might have to get installed again. I had a van start changing lanes into me one time and he ended up a lane over in the other direction after I hit the horn.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
It really sucks when you have a pack of cars in two somewhat clear lanes, doing about 70-80km/h in a snowstorm, and you see some rear end in a top hat in merc decide everything is going too slow and get onto the left lane covered in half a foot of snow and start trying to pass everyone. Its like everyone else looks at this guy and thinks "no, don't do it man, we've got a good thing going, we're gonna make it". Then a few kms up they're in the ditch. This has been my commute today over and over.

Also bonus points for the driver that drifted his fuckin tour bus onto and off the death zone left lane because he absolutely had to go over 110km/h

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm the guy, I'm the guy that stayed behind a state trooper going 10 under in the left lane, got fed up with it, dropped the hammer and passed on the right.

I'd say gently caress that guy but he didn't realize the construction zone was gone and the speed limit was back to normal so he let me off with a warning instead of 2 tickets.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

leica posted:

Seriously dude? Have you seen the dash cam videos from other countries? Road rage isn't just a national phenomenon.

Yeah. Bad driving always has been and always will be a global phenomenom and I bet a lot of us are more guilty than we let on. :v: There's always someone going "I'm never driving in Russia huuuhhh!" on the dashcam vids but it's only 'cause of the prevalence of dashcams over there in the first place we even get to see these driving experts.

If every car in Alabama was fitted with a dash cam I guarantee YouTube's "Alabama Car Crash" channel would be horrifying.

(I picked a random state, no offense to anyone here from AL :))

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MikeyTsi posted:

There is a significant amount of data in the display information - graphically intensive things just don't work remotely.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Do you think I can replace my stock horn on my Honda with a train horn? Because going from a slightly loud "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" to a shrill, piercing noise would be great.

Adding to the Cadillac horn suggestion...

IIRC it was a pair of horns from a late 80s Sedan deVille. Going from people flat out ignoring the "meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" when they're changing lanes and haven't noticed you... to them swerving across 20 lanes and 2 miles of traffic when you honk. Priceless.

I really need to track down something from a 70s Caddy, the horn on the Saturd is almost as pathetic as the Altima's stock horn.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

impressive, if impractical.

Going to try a pair of the previously-mentioned Steibel horns on my Durango, which I just found out are dead. Luckily the fool who decided to jaywalk across a 4 lane road at night whilst wearing all black heard the howl of my 4 BFGs locking up...

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 6, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Reminder that we share the road with people who sometimes mistake one pedal for the other.
Reminder that it also happens to bus drivers who have spent quite some time getting the right license and tests for the job.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If that ever happens to you, you're either a terrible driver and shouldn't be driving, or under the influence of something that means you shouldn't be driving. There is NO excuse for that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I make all kinds of mistakes all day long. I drop things, I type the wrong things, I forget to take my lunch with me in the morning. I've been driving like 17 years now and I never once mistook one pedal for another. Even when going back and forth between my parent's cars which were auto and manuals. I don't get how that happens.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

NASA has a bigger horn than that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MasocIBqaE

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

We got almost a foot of snow here yesterday and I still saw people who didn't clean off their roofs. Even saw a couple tank commanders. How do you see that your car is 8-10” taller than normal due to snow and go “na it’s fine”? I just wanted to see one of these people stop and have their windshield covered.

Also private plow drivers are assholes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I rolled my window down, pointed at the roof, and waved my ice scraper out the window at one of those in traffic today. He wasn't amused, but I was :v:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Incidentally kastein, when you get the 5 ton fixed up the way you want it, we will all be sorely disappointed if you do not mount a train horn on it.

It came factory with a big rear end airhorn. :getin:

Best thing I saw today: one of those jackasses who throws out the anchor in the travel lane of a highway at the last possible minute and then sits there trying to wedge into an exit ramp as if they're the most important person in the world. Just as I was about to drive by, a cop rolls up and tickets them. There is justice in the world, I hope that fuckhead went to the goddamn impound.

If you can pull it off without crossing any solid lines or slowing down traffic behind you, whatever, but stop/slow down a lot in a travel lane and cause a massive traffic jam, screwing up thousands of people's days to save yourself a few minutes? gently caress YOU. You are an inconsiderate prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
These are the people I share a small, dead end road with:

They decided that the best place to leave one of their cars in a snow storm was on the street, at the end where the plow has to push all the snow to.

This is their other car, they drove their kids to school in that earlier today. Probably with more snow on it at the time.

I didn't take pictures yesterday unfortunately, they leave it on the street too and force the plow to go around it completely loving up the road in the process. Apparently they put it in the MBTA parking lot nearby overnight then called the town to complain that the road hadn't been plowed. Yes, they have a driveway and a garage. No, I don't know what their problem with using them is.