Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Hear the power, feel the noise!

No one brings turbine tractors to the pulls around here :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

No pictures yet, but two days ago I discovered the front axle locker on my '91 Blazer was faulty when it somehow slipped from disengaged to halfway engaged as i was doing 70 on the highway. Surprisingly, I didn't hit the windshield, but there was a godawful metal on metal screeching sound combined with an incredible mechanical whirring coming from underneath the car. No visible signs of grenading, and it still moves forward just fine now that I have disconnected the locker cable and made sure that it is disengaged.

I'm taking bets on what I'll find in there once I open it up.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Small shavings/filings, maybe a piece or two bigger than 2mm?

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Yea, no, no need to change your filter, it's good for another 5k

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Your bottom finger in that photo is probably hosting a sentient cancer now.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

It's a horrible mechanical success.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a horrible mechanical success.

It served its car well. Godspeed brave Filter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If the filter looks like that, the rest of that engine is hosed regardless.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!
Edit:

There was going to be a picture of a horrible mechanical failure here, but imageshack's android app is a flaming pile of poo poo, apparently.

Edit 2:

Or, upon further reading, imageshack and SA used to play nice, but one day imageshack took it's ball and went home. :byewhore:

In conclusion, this post contains a horrible failure, but not of the mechanical variety.

Soodonim fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 6, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Soodonim posted:

There was going to be a picture of a horrible mechanical failure here, but imageshack's android app is a flaming pile of poo poo, apparently.

why are you using image shack

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

atomicthumbs posted:

why are you using image shack

Because I signed up for an account many, many moons ago, and I've only needed an image host a handful of times in the intervening years. Never presented a problem until now.

Now I'm all 'gently caress Imageshack', though. I had a sweet mechanical failure to show y'all.

Soodonim fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 6, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Soodonim posted:

Because I signed up for an account many, many moons ago, and I've only needed an image host a handful of times in the intervening years. Never presented a problem until now.

Now I'm all 'gently caress Imageshack', though. I had a sweet mechanical failure to show y'all.

use imgur

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Soodonim posted:

imageshack is a flaming pile of poo poo
A horrible internet failure you might say.

e: Nice to see SA translations are still around. :allears:

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

Did I do it right? :downs:

Soodonim fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 6, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Soodonim posted:

[timg] http://i.imgur.com/gczz7H4.jpg [/timg]

[timg] http://i.imgur.com/czrdNcp.jpg [/timg]

Did I do it right? :downs:

Close. Not as wrong as that bearing, though.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

meatpimp posted:

Close. Not as wrong as that bearing, though.

Got it now. Learning is fun!

Anyway, Mazdaspeed 3 rod bearing failed spectacularly after three years of ownership. Previous owner had installed a catless downpipe. As I've since learned about the MS3, if you install a dp without upgrading your hpfp, you're going to have a bad time :)

All better now though!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Surely a tune would be all that's needed? Free-flowing exhaust will certainly make the turbo spool faster, but if the wastegate's working your boost shouldn't peak any higher than before?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My cellphone sucks and I'm sorry.

"But the salesman said it had full service history!" :downs:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like the full service history fits on a single sheet of paper.

Services performed: oil change at 1500mi!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

45,000km's since the last oil change. We quite literally took all the covers off the engine and the engine out of the car, then proceeded to chemically waterblast the poo poo off the engine. New valve stem seals to stop the oil consumption, back in the car and he's on his way to the nearest dealer to do a trade!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A bottle of Seafoam will clear that right up.

Spinning a rod bearing just from installing a downpipe seems extreme, and how would upgrading the fuel pump have helped?

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

Fucknag posted:

Surely a tune would be all that's needed? Free-flowing exhaust will certainly make the turbo spool faster, but if the wastegate's working your boost shouldn't peak any higher than before?

Correct, but I didn't know any better until I started researching why my engine blew up. I now know a poo poo ton more than I did (rebuilt the engine myself in my garage), and I have found ample evidence that the car was heavily modded before I bought it. The dickhead mostly stocked out before he sold it. He left the dp because they're a motherfucker to swap on these vehicles. Hpfp internals are a quick swap, so I'm pretty sure the rear end in a top hat put the stockers back in and knowingly sold the car in a compromised state. It's amazing that it lasted as long as it did.

Oh well, live and learn. Now I've got a built motor with forged internals, I'm self-tuning, and I'm on my way to 350 whp. I've been having more fun with this than any other project I've ever undertaken, though it was terrifying at first. I owe it all to that piece of poo poo douchebag in Fishers, IN that I bought my Speed from :)

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

Snowdens Secret posted:

A bottle of Seafoam will clear that right up.

Spinning a rod bearing just from installing a downpipe seems extreme, and how would upgrading the fuel pump have helped?

Direct injected engines inject a very finely atomized mist of fuel directly into the combustion chamber, using pressures in excess of 1600 psi. When the engine breathes so much more freely due to a mod like, let's say a catless downpipe, the stock high pressure fuel pump can't flow enough fuel at WOT. Pressures drop dangerously low (below 1000), compromising atomization and creating a lean condition. To make matters worse, the ecu can compound the issue by increasing the injector duty cycle to try to bring AFRs back down, which in extreme cases can cause puddling in the combustion chamber. Knock, knock, boom. Bent rods, spun bearings, vented blocks. I got off easy and was able to salvage my block and crank.

Like I said, it's amazing my engine lasted as long as it did. After I got my engine back together with upgraded hpfp internals and bought an accessport, I discovered that I was spiking over 22 psi on the stock tune, which targets around 15 psi.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ah, see, I thought you were saying the downpipe was all it had. Like I said, the downpipe only makes boost come on sooner, peak airflow won't be any higher than stock so the stock fuel pump would keep up just fine. I bet you, though, he had the boost cranked way up, and that will max out the injector duty cycle (or HPFP in your case), and you get the detonation, etc., which is all the worse due to that higher boost. Not to mention if he's pulling stuff like that I bet he never had a proper tune on it at any point.

Once the bearings get a little bit hammered, the clearance is wider and oil doesn't fill the gap quite as well as new, so you get a feedback loop which is you how spin a bearing 3 years down the line.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

So what did that used to be?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lambda 3.8 out of a kia sedona. One of the best factory engines I've ever seen, it's the same lump as the genesis coupe. I've never seen an appliance with six bolt mains before.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

Fucknag posted:

Ah, see, I thought you were saying the downpipe was all it had. Like I said, the downpipe only makes boost come on sooner, peak airflow won't be any higher than stock so the stock fuel pump would keep up just fine. I bet you, though, he had the boost cranked way up, and that will max out the injector duty cycle (or HPFP in your case), and you get the detonation, etc., which is all the worse due to that higher boost. Not to mention if he's pulling stuff like that I bet he never had a proper tune on it at any point.

Once the bearings get a little bit hammered, the clearance is wider and oil doesn't fill the gap quite as well as new, so you get a feedback loop which is you how spin a bearing 3 years down the line.

You've mostly got the idea. But believe it or not, a catless downpipe by itself will cause massive boost spikes on these vehicles, even if the ecu parameters haven't been touched. Also, to unmarry an accessport from a vehicle (which you have to do if you want to sell it), you have to take it back to the stock ECU map.

The K04 turbo spools like a mad bastard under any circumstance (I have logs that show IM pressure going from vacuum to 22 psi in about .75 seconds - what turbo lag?). The stock exhaust has two catalytic converters. Throw on a catless downpipe that deletes both, and the turbo spools and builds boost faster than the stock wastegate compensation parameters can deal with. Stock tune targets 15 to 16 psi of boost, I was hitting 22+ every time I mashed the pedal. I had to cut wastegate duty cycles to less than 50% of the stock parameters to bring the boost spikes under control. Like I said, it's a loving miracle my engine lasted as long as it did.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ah, see I wasn't aware the MS3 had any electronics in the wastegate setup; my MSP just has a straight vacuum line (also a much smaller turbo running way lower boost).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The DISI MZR is a special snowflake that requires performance parts typically be installed not only correctly but a certain order. It seems like Subarus are not nearly as finicky engine wise and usually outlast the clutch/transfer case.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I would expect there is an electronic boost controller in there. Probably a 2-port with a restrictor pill. The ecu maps are kind of funky on those as I recall and tuning them is a lot of work. Or at least it was a few years ago when the accessport was being developed for it. I think I can get c-pe stuff, they were making fuel pumps last I checked.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

Lambda 3.8 out of a kia sedona. One of the best factory engines I've ever seen, it's the same lump as the genesis coupe. I've never seen an appliance with six bolt mains before.

IIRC, the Toyota 1MZ-FE has 6 bolt mains (at least on the VVTi version)? And that engine is about as common as dirt.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fucknag posted:

Ah, see I wasn't aware the MS3 had any electronics in the wastegate setup; my MSP just has a straight vacuum line (also a much smaller turbo running way lower boost).

Lower boost, yes, but the MSP turbo was actually gigantic. The MS3's turbo is about the size of your fist (or it was the last time I looked at one, which was in 2007-ish)

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

My cellphone sucks and I'm sorry.

"But the salesman said it had full service history!" :downs:

Kill it with fire. But no seriously that sludge is pretty bad. Murder the salesman.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

some texas redneck posted:

IIRC, the Toyota 1MZ-FE has 6 bolt mains (at least on the VVTi version)? And that engine is about as common as dirt.

This is true. 1MZ-FE teardown here:
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53130

Edit: And then there's this. The engine was obviously strengthened internally but :drat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aC4oVEVC68

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 6, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Vanagoon posted:

Edit: And then there's this. The engine was obviously strengthened internally but :drat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aC4oVEVC68

Even if it is awesome, smoking the front tires is never cool.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You are a loving liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwmN3d0x_s

E: that minivan aint AWD, son. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 7, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Fucknag posted:

You are a loving liar.

Edit:

ONLY Smoking the front tires is never cool.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

You are a loving liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwmN3d0x_s

E: that minivan aint AWD, son. :colbert:

There are only a few minivans I would willingly drive:
* That one. Holy poo poo.
* A mid 90s Mazda MPV, 5 speed, true 4x4, with a solid front axle swap.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kastein posted:

There are only a few minivans I would willingly drive:
* That one. Holy poo poo.
* A mid 90s Mazda MPV, 5 speed, true 4x4, with a solid front axle swap.

You forgot one:

It's mid-engined. Like a Ferrari. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I always thought that's what a minivan from DMC would've looked like .