Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

What's the deal with Five Guys? I went past one and it just looked like a fast food joint.

it is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
So it's just part of the fetish for American stuff that's going on now? Nothing special?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Better than Maccys, less good than Honest Burger/MeatMarket.

Super customisable burgers though, which is nice.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The burger I had at Five Guys in Camden when it opened was pretty good, but it was buried in french fries, which I really didn't expect. I have to agree that it's not throwing shade on the MeatFranchise, though.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Agreed. More surprised that they chose to open up in Kingston. I live there and am happy that I can get a better than average burger now!

But MeatMission/Liquor burgers... Fuckin' A. Though I get more excited by their Monkey Fingers.

Has anybody tried Patty & Buns? I got a pretty good burger there the other week.

loving burgers burgers burgers everywhere!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Talking of burgers, I had one at Rub on stroud green road a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I went to Shake Shack and I wasn't impressed. It was a tiny burger for the price. Five Guys wins, shut it down.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

knox_harrington posted:

Talking of burgers, I had one at Rub on stroud green road a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

Really? I've heard nothing but mediocre reviews of that place. What did you make of the meal overall?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Neris posted:

Really? I've heard nothing but mediocre reviews of that place. What did you make of the meal overall?

Ah really? The place itself is a bit rough and ready, but the meal was good. I had a chilli burger, the meat was nice and it was topped with slow cooked brisket chilli. Brioche bun.. Chips and milkshake were good too. It was tasty, I'll be going back.

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
Does anyone know a good steak restaurant that's walking distance from Clapham Junction station? Only finding mixed reviews on the places I can find from a Google search.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Snipeo posted:

Does anyone know a good steak restaurant that's walking distance from Clapham Junction station? Only finding mixed reviews on the places I can find from a Google search.

http://www.santamariadelsur.co.uk/ is supposed to be excellent.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Santa Maria is a fair old walk from CJ. But it did win Gordon Ramsay's best local steak on TV a few years back so I assume it's decent.
The only other option I can think of is La Pampa grill which is much closer and also on the corner of Northcote Rd / Battersea Rise where you have plenty of pubs and other restaurants if you do want alternatives. I've only been there years ago and it was ok but I don't think it's going to wow you. They also had the Top Gun sound track on very loud so make of that what you will :D

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Just go to a really good non-"steak" place? Like Hana, Dip-n-Flip, Warang Bumbu, Mien Tay, Lola Roja, Donna Margherita ..

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally went to Polpo the other day and it was very disappointing. Meatballs were good but everything else was bad and overpriced.

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
Thanks for the suggestions. Went to Cattlegrid on Battersea Rise in the end. Steak was good, and good value. Cocktails were crap so we stuck to the reasonably good selection of bottled beers.

Went to Rise 46 opposite afterwards for very good cocktails.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've not eaten at many of the "high end" burger places, but ended up in the Five Guys in Covent Garden with a date and we both enjoyed it. A "small" fries was plenty for the pair of us, but very good, and the burgers themselves were great.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

What's the queue for Polpo like? Thinking of going there for my birthday (party of four), looked at Bocca Di Lupo but they didn't have reservations for when I wanted (8:30-ish on a Saturday night, I like to eat later rather than earlier). Otherwise, any recommendations for similar Italian places? Also tempted by Racine, but I think I'd like a younger atmosphere.

edit: also, what are some good cocktail bars near Polpo?

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2014

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Finally went to Polpo the other day and it was very disappointing. Meatballs were good but everything else was bad and overpriced.

Agreed with this, though I wouldn't say the food was actively bad - it was just really overpriced and nothing special.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Homeslice in Covent Garden. It's in the courtyard where Neal's Yard and Souk Medina is. They do a selection fo massive 20" pizzas which could easily serve 4 for £20 or 1/6 slices for £4. All freshly made and very tasty, restaurant is quite small though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rockybar posted:

What's the queue for Polpo like? Thinking of going there for my birthday (party of four), looked at Bocca Di Lupo but they didn't have reservations for when I wanted (8:30-ish on a Saturday night, I like to eat later rather than earlier). Otherwise, any recommendations for similar Italian places? Also tempted by Racine, but I think I'd like a younger atmosphere.

edit: also, what are some good cocktail bars near Polpo?

The little cocktail bar underneath/part of Polpo itself is pretty great.

I thought the food there was really good, price perhaps a little high for the style. The queue on a Saturday at 8:30 is going to be hilariously long.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go in Streatham? I recently moved in nearby.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat near The British Museum?

Not too expensive. Say 10 or 15+ a head?

Wouldn't mind a nice pub or cafe. Not a chain please!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Steak sandwiches at the Holborn Whippet were lovely the last time I had one.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Steakandchips posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat near The British Museum?

Not too expensive. Say 10 or 15+ a head?

Wouldn't mind a nice pub or cafe. Not a chain please!

I'd go to Josephine on Charlotte Street - great and and cheap Filipino place, and it's family run.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sweek0 posted:

I'd go to Josephine on Charlotte Street - great and and cheap Filipino place, and it's family run.

Seconded, it's really good food there. I must go again soon.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

The_Doctor posted:

Seconded, it's really good food there. I must go again soon.
Last time I was there.

Me to waiter: This sauce is great, what's in it?
Him, completely deadpan: Crack. Then walks off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sweek0 posted:

Last time I was there.

That's great! :)

Unusual request, is there anywhere in London one can eat either horizontally or laying on a big pile of cushions/pillows? I'm looking for lazy, relaxing eating.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Only place that jumps to mind is Supper Club. Don't go there.

Edit: Ooooh, you could go to Electric Cinema and get a huge sofa/bed thing and eat a burger and watch a film!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Unusual request, is there anywhere in London one can eat either horizontally or laying on a big pile of cushions/pillows?

:goonsay:

Sorry, but that is funny. There's a nifty little Moroccan place called the Triangle in Finsbury Park/Stroud Green where you can curl up in a cushion-laden nook, I assume you can get the food sent in there too! Also, I'm not sure if Cafe Cairo does food (I think so?) but it's another great Moroccan-inspired place with some cozy cubbyholes that you can nestle down in. And they make loving great ginger rum cocktails!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

sweek0 posted:

Last time I was there.

Ok, definitely checking it out this weekend. I live like a 5 minute walk from it so there's no excuse.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anyone got any idea for a place that can do 15 people +/- a couple, near-ish St. Paul's? It's for a Saturday evening in three weeks, so I imagine places will be filling up.

Up to £25 per head, and not something incredibly meaty as there will be some veggies.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Does anybody know a central place of information on where I can find out what's opening or trending in London?

I work for a catering company and I've just got a new boss who's asked me to keep an eye out on the London scene. But I'm poor. Really poor. And I can't afford to go out eating in London every week! :'(

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It might not get you news on upcoming openings, but Time Out will review anywhere trendy very quickly.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I would just check out twitter if I was you, otherwise http://twentysomethinglondon.com/ is ok?

Tim Anderson, Marina O'Loughlin, Tsuru, Sat Bains, Hollow Legs and a bunch more that are currently escaping my memory tend to tweet about what's going on even if it's not directly related to them. If you look up a bunch of places you like and follow them for a little bit, you should be able to pick out people who chat about these things alot.

Edit: If you're interested in bussinessy things it also worth following places like sauce communications that do foodie PR, you'll get lots of press releases that way.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 6, 2014

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Convexed posted:

Does anybody know a central place of information on where I can find out what's opening or trending in London?

Okay, so.

http://www.hot-dinners.com ( http://www.hot-dinners.com/Features/Articles/coming-soon-new-restaurants-opening-in-london )
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/
http://londontheinside.com/category/eat/
http://londonist.com/category/food-and-drink

Get on Twitter, learn to love it, if you don't already (echoing above poster.)

@guardianfood @jayrayner @shedlikesfood @hollowlegs @hotdinners @tehbus @chrispople @FoodUrchin @MarinaOLoughlin

All of the above will have blogs or columns, so check those out.

Honest Burgers just opened a *sixth* place today and I am SO DUBIOUS about them surviving the end of the burger boom. And I heard Korean is going to be the next thing, there's been some pop-up stuff around it, but I may be talking out of my arse or repeating some PR i overheard or some junk.

Neris fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 6, 2014

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm still waiting for decent Peruvian food. The problem is getting the quality fish at decent prices I suppose.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

And I heard Korean is going to be the next thing, there's been some pop-up stuff around it, but I may be talking out of my arse or repeating some PR i overheard or some junk.

I'm staking my money on this, Liverpool ahead of the curve as they just opened the first Korean restaurant in the city*

*the average meal out up here is so god-drat disappointing after London. Hundreds of chinese restaurants, all total poo poo.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

I'm staking my money on this, Liverpool ahead of the curve as they just opened the first Korean restaurant in the city*

*the average meal out up here is so god-drat disappointing after London. Hundreds of chinese restaurants, all total poo poo.

I was going to defend the honour of Koreana and Yang Sing... then I remembered they were in Manchester. Says it all! :/

I'm not sure how quick Korean would be to catch on as a trendy thing, burgers have the advantage of not being 'scary' for people who want their hand held which is what made it so genius. Also Korean food is a 'bad' 'unhealthy' Asian food like Chinese, not 'good' Asian like Japanese which will make you live forever and cure cancer. ugh. Whatever, more yukhoe, mmm.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

What's bad and unhealthy about bibimbap exactly? I wouldn't associate Korean with deep fried. Even Thai is loving loaded with coconut milk, Korean is actually very healthy.

The thing that's intimidating is the fermentation, and fermented flavours.

Also yukhui :swoon: I dream about yukhui. No joke.

Actually omg on topic, I went to Busan with my Dad on the weekend in Highbury and Islington and it was fabbo. I had beef bulgogi and we had the trio of kimchi. Yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Korean is 100% the next thing. Great to hear good things about Busan is my parents house is right around the corner.

On the topic of new poo poo opening my brother is hoping to open a butchers/cook shop in march in broadway market. http://www.hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/Latest-news/hill-szrok-master-butcher-cookshop-opening-on-broadway-market