Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I Before E posted:

It's not like the rest is anything to scoff at.

The Taka/Sasuke match on the undercard is so weird. A proper Jr Heavyweight style match in the middle of a WWE PPV in 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

njsykora posted:

Aren't Roku's cheaper anyway?

By like $10 if you get an older model, yeah.

E: I've got a Roku, Apple TV, 360, and PS4, so I'm pretty sure I'll be covered when it launches.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Fair warning, you'll probably be stopped by an Xbox Gold paywall if on the 360.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

VogeGandire posted:

The Taka/Sasuke match on the undercard is so weird. A proper Jr Heavyweight style match in the middle of a WWE PPV in 1997.

That match was so much tighter and stiff than anything I had seen up to that point. One of Sasuke's corner kicks is just devastating.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Who else is going to watch a Chris Benoit match just to hear his entrance?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm probably going to watch Uncensored 1996 first because A) I am a dumb broken human being and B) I want to see what sort of quality they have on the old stuff.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm probably going to watch Uncensored 1996 first because A) I am a dumb broken human being and B) I want to see what sort of quality they have on the old stuff.

same but Uncensored 1995 because that King of The Road match was a thing of beauty.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

coconono posted:

same but Uncensored 1995 because that King of The Road match was a thing of beauty.

But 1996 has the 9v2 match! And probably some other things, maybe!

Also the build to Uncensored 96 was the first wrestling I ever watched, and I am excited to go back and completely ruin those memories!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Will Halloween Havoc 1998 have the authentic PPV experience where you don't get to see the main event and have to watch Nitro the next day to see it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Chewy Bitems posted:

Actually I think the reason that WWE won't release details of what's being watched on the Network will be because the most watched stuff will be the PPVs with nudity if they're uncensored.

So many people watching that clip of Regal's penis.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Supreme Allah posted:

That's a spicy fuckin meatball. Although I never followed ECW closely - is this a truncated list, or about right for the overall output of the company:

I own the second ONS show on DVD, but it's edited to hell to tone down the crowd's anger at Cena (specifically the swears). I wonder if they'll put up the unedited version, complete with "gently caress YOU CENA! gently caress YOU CENA!"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

I own the second ONS show on DVD, but it's edited to hell to tone down the crowd's anger at Cena (specifically the swears). I wonder if they'll put up the unedited version, complete with "gently caress YOU CENA! gently caress YOU CENA!"?
This is WWE. Expect it to include "LET'S GO CENA!" lots.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

This is WWE. Expect it to include "LET'S GO CENA!" lots.

"IF CENA LOSES, WE RIOT" ???

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If they're willing to put Over the Edge 99 and Benoit on the Network, that kind of changes the whole dynamic as to what you can probably expect on the Network and what's going to be edited. The answer: Not much is going to be edited. Hell, they paid off the Wildlife Fund so they didn't have to censor the scratch logo or the words "WWF" anymore. A lot has changed.

No more "WW" champions!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I'm stunned everyone on legends house is still alive 2 years later.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Red posted:

Really? Because I have the ONS06 show on DVD and the "gently caress you Cena!" chants are uncensored (it's branded ECW, TV-MA, so that was my reasoning). Yet, the WrestleMania 22 show earlier that year with the "Let's Go Cena/gently caress You Cena" dueling chants was edited out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Justin Godscock posted:

Really? Because I have the ONS06 show on DVD and the "gently caress you Cena!" chants are uncensored (it's branded ECW, TV-MA, so that was my reasoning). Yet, the WrestleMania 22 show earlier that year with the "Let's Go Cena/gently caress You Cena" dueling chants was edited out.

You know, maybe I'm mixing up the version on the Money in the Bank blu-ray versus the ONS DVD. I should double-check.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So is it going to be kosher to have a WWE Network sharing thread if it turns out that you can stream multiple instances like you can with MLB.tv?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

maniacripper posted:

So is it going to be kosher to have a WWE Network sharing thread if it turns out that you can stream multiple instances like you can with MLB.tv?

Probably, but I'd keep it in Coupons & Deals like that one too.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

sticklefifer posted:

Vengeance '07 is actually far more sickening to watch. The crowd is livid and chants "We want Benoit" through the whole ECW title match, and meanwhile the PPV was airing after Benoit had already killed his son, or was in the process of it.

Well, to be wrestling fair, he did deny us Chris Benoit vs. CM Punk.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Over The Edge 99 will be edited. Am I the only one who thinks it's more inappropriate to pretend that it didn't happen?

quote:

When World Wrestling Entertainment launches its WWE Network, subscribers will have on-demand access to more than 400 pay-per-view events from the past.

WWE published a list on its website Tuesday.

Included on the list is the 1999 Over The Edge pay-per-view. During that event, wrestler Owen Hart died after falling 70 feet when the harness that was being used to lower him to the ring malfunctioned. The incident and its aftermath were not shown during the broadcast. The show continued afterward.

Encore showings and replays of the event were canceled following Hart’s death, and it was never released on home video.

Late Friday, WWE confirmed its decision in a statement to KDKA-TV: “WWE Network will be airing the 1999 Over The Edge pay-per-view. However, portions of the event will be edited out of respect for Owen Hart.”

WWE’s decision to include the 1999 Over The Edge pay-per-view in its network content was made within the past two weeks.

During an exclusive interview with KDKA-TV before WWE’s Royal Rumble event in Pittsburgh on Jan. 26, WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon said the decision had not yet been made.

McMahon did confirm that matches involving Chris Benoit would be available. In 2007, Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son before taking his own life.

“They are incredible challenging decisions to make,” McMahon said. “At the end of the day, we try to do what’s right for our fans and we try to give them exactly what they want to see.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/02/07/wwe-faces-difficult-decisions-on-network-content/

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Is Legends House going to be uncensored?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Is Legends House going to be uncensored?

How much of Hillbilly Jim do you need to see?

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Call Me Charlie posted:

Looks like Over The Edge 99 will be edited. Am I the only one who thinks it's more inappropriate to pretend that it didn't happen?

It's not pretending that Hart dying never happened, it's not wanting to proudly display the event where it happened. The moments after his death shouldn't be a spectacle that anyone can just queue up for viewing whenever they want. That cheapens the reality of the situation. Being able to watch Hart's friends standing there distraught while his blood on the mat doesn't benefit anyone.

I would prefer it if Over the Edge '99 were hidden away in a vault for the rest of eternity, the same with Vengeance 2007. You can't separate the events of those shows from the real world happenings that affected them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sunsweet posted:

It's not pretending that Hart dying never happened, it's not wanting to proudly display the event where it happened. The moments after his death shouldn't be a spectacle that anyone can just queue up for viewing whenever they want. That cheapens the reality of the situation. Being able to watch Hart's friends standing there distraught while his blood on the mat doesn't benefit anyone.

I would prefer it if Over the Edge '99 were hidden away in a vault for the rest of eternity, the same with Vengeance 2007. You can't separate the events of those shows from the real world happenings that affected them.

I don't understand how making it available for viewing at the same time as 400 other PPVs is proudly displaying it. Ignoring the fact that people can already queue up the full PPV whenever they want on YouTube or Dailymotion or any wrestling torrent site, attempting to edit around what happened is an attempt to separate the show from the tragedy that took place.

(note: if they actually captured his fall on video, I wouldn't mind editing but what they are probably removing is the video package for his match, the long shot of the crowd and the announcement that Owen died. IMO, the only thing that really deserves to be vaulted forever is the Raw after Benoit's suicide/murder)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 9, 2014

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't understand how making it available for viewing at the same time as 400 other PPVs is proudly displaying it. Ignoring the fact that people can already queue up the full PPV whenever they want on YouTube or Dailymotion or any wrestling torrent site, attempting to edit around what happened is an attempt to separate the show from the tragedy that took place.

(note: if they actually captured his fall on video, I wouldn't mind editing but what they are probably removing is the video package for his match, the long shot of the crowd and the announcement that Owen died. IMO, the only thing that really deserves to be vaulted forever is the Raw after Benoit's suicide/murder)

The fact is if you want to be a callous piece of poo poo nerd and watch people visibly suffering at the death of their friend you can watch it on dailymotion. if you'd like to see the event and it's matches without having to feel like you're a creep doing it the network will have that option to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Call Me Charlie posted:

WWE isn't making money off of the OTE 99 uploaded by OwenHartGoku420, them making money off of the death of Owen Hart is a different matter and they need to be careful. It would make the company look bad to appear to profit off of the death, it would anger Hart family members under contract and others they work with like Bret. I'm sure it'd be great for talent morale if they felt WWE would exploit their death for profit too.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I can see both sides of the issue.

On one hand, you don't want to condone what happened on that show, and it's definitely not something you're proud of. It's also peak Attitude era, with bad angles and mostly bad matches. The scar of the show is definitely bad, and it would be nice to ignore it ever happened.

On the other hand, it's not 1999 anymore. If people want to find Over the Edge '99, by god they will in just a few seconds. There's nothing stopping anyone from Googling it and watching what happened. This is also peak Attitude era, where interest was at its highest, so more people are going to be interested to see what happened on the PPV outside of Owen's death. While there were no real good matches, the WWF Title did change hands on it.

It's a dilemma for sure, and it seems WWE took plenty of time to decide whether it was going to air. Personally, I wouldn't have but I see the reasons they would.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 9, 2014

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

People still complaining about OTE 99 being edited on the network are just proving the point that they don't give a poo poo about history, wrestling, or not completely alienating a family that has given so much to the industry. The PPV is there, the chronology is complete, if you want to see the grisly details just go somewhere else and stop expecting a company to promote, in anyway, such an event.

"bbBut I can't see JR pronounce someone dead in HD!"

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I personally hate the entrance music alterations they do. Pay the money Vince you billionaire!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

I personally hate the entrance music alterations they do. Pay the money Vince you billionaire!

It's understandable but it really is going to diminish the ECW stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Even a little thing like removing Killing Joke from that Heyman promo I love showing in on PSP TV will be a shame.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MassRafTer posted:

WWE isn't making money off of the OTE 99 uploaded by OwenHartGoku420, them making money off of the death of Owen Hart is a different matter and they need to be careful. It would make the company look bad to appear to profit off of the death, it would anger Hart family members under contract and others they work with like Bret. I'm sure it'd be great for talent morale if they felt WWE would exploit their death for profit too.

Yeah, that's the big issue here because and let's be honest: the only reason a LOT of people are going to be watching OTE99 is because they got morbidly intrigued by Owen's death on the show. Yes, anything Owen is going to be edited including the long crowd shots, JR's commentary and Jeff Jarrett's brief eulogy before his match. But people are still going to watch because the vibe from the death is all over the show and some people will watch it just for that. It's bad PR to release this show because it'll make them look like they are indirectly profiting off of Owen's death. Yes, WWE is carny and all but they are also publically-traded and in the mainstream spotlight more than ever nowadays. It could also endanger the business they do with the Hart family undoing a good decade plus of healing before Bret's 2010 return. They still do Hart family RAW appearances, DVDs and signings of young Harts to developmental that could be torn asunder.

Yeah, you can watch it on YouTube or whatever but if someone uploads it that's their prerogative and nothing to do with WWE so there is no bad PR from someone going :filez:.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 9, 2014

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Does anyone remember when they started recording in HD. I'm such a HD snob, I may have trouble watching anything before that.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Will they have to change the music on ECW PPVs? I remember hearing back in the 90's that ECW was allowed to keep the music on their official VHS releases because the sound quality was so poor that it was considered "ambient noise" rather than whatever requires you to actually license the music. I could be misremembering or this could have been total bunk in the first place, of course.

I'm curious whether or not they're going to censor "HULK HOGAN, WE COMIN' FOR YOU [sucka]!"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Grey posted:

Does anyone remember when they started recording in HD. I'm such a HD snob, I may have trouble watching anything before that.

Early 2008

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The Grey posted:

Early 2008 is when they changed RAW and SmackDown to the "HD set" so I imagine it happened at that time. I wasn't watching WWE at the time but Google tells me the RAW on 1/18/2008 was the first usage of the set.

Edit: Beaten but I have the actual date.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Instead of being able to move on from my WWF Wrestlemania 1 through 14 VHS tapes I have to convert them to DVD because they even have those goofy loving Todd Penninggil or whatever the hell his name is commercials.

I'm dumb

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ZDar Fan posted:

Will they have to change the music on ECW PPVs? I remember hearing back in the 90's that ECW was allowed to keep the music on their official VHS releases because the sound quality was so poor that it was considered "ambient noise" rather than whatever requires you to actually license the music. I could be misremembering or this could have been total bunk in the first place, of course.

I'm curious whether or not they're going to censor "HULK HOGAN, WE COMIN' FOR YOU [sucka]!"

If all the music getting edited out of home video releases is any indication; expect WWE to edit out the music from ECW shows because they just don't have the rights compared to whatever arrangement Heyman had with the labels.

24/7 has Booker T's infamous Hogan line censored so it wouldn't surprise me if they used that one for the Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Thauros posted:

I guess New Jack matches will just have no sound