Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Still, Benoit clearly had a side of him nobody else saw and was pretty unhinged outside of work. It's not one single thing that drove him to it. You can point to brain damage, but Foley's arguably done worse to himself and he never caned Dewey.

there were a lot of weird things about Benoit that came out after his death. I think it was Jericho who said that Benoit would never, ever laugh at jokes but if someone hurt themselves or vomited or whatever he would be in hysterics. that's a little off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TL posted:

Lingerie? Is that part of the story I've missed over the last six years?

I don't even remember how it got started, but there was a rumour that Benoit was wearing one of Nancy's bras when he comitted suicide.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The other thing to keep in mind about the murders is there was a ton of alcohol consumed that weekend.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mick wasn't on HGH, Steroids, and Testosterone.

He was a pro wrestler in the 90s, he probably was on something despite his body appearance, especially with the type of punishment he took working the style he did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

He's not as stupid as Benoit was. He lands with his hands first, not literally headbutting them like Benoit did.

Also, Benoit's headbutt tended to glance the side of a dude's abdomen. More often than not his forehead was slamming straight into the canvas.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

He was a pro wrestler in the 90s, he probably was on something despite his body appearance, especially with the type of punishment he took working the style he did.

Painkillers most assuredly, sleeping aids maybe, but I'd be surprised if Mick were on anything else.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember he said in one of his books that he tried painkillers, got freaked out about how much he liked them and never took them again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I remember he said in one of his books that he tried painkillers, got freaked out about how much he liked them and never took them again.

I love Mick but I'm not sure if I believe that or not. That said, Foley has always struck me as one of the more honest guys in wrestling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love Mick but I'm not sure if I believe that or not. That said, Foley has always struck me as one of the more honest guys in wrestling.

So do I, but his books are totally in-character, or at least how he sees himself. He's a pretty unreliable narrator (like when he talks about the 1998 Cell match, and how the roof wasn't rigged, despite Terry Funk and others saying it was absolutely rigged). Foley buys into his own BS as much as any other wrestling personality -- he's just a decent and kind person underneath it all, unlike most of the others.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

So do I, but his books are totally in-character, or at least how he sees himself. He's a pretty unreliable narrator (like when he talks about the 1998 Cell match, and how the roof wasn't rigged, despite Terry Funk and others saying it was absolutely rigged). Foley buys into his own BS as much as any other wrestling personality -- he's just a decent and kind person underneath it all, unlike most of the others.
I think in that case, he knows it was rigged, but has to maintain the lie because his wife would be super-pissed.

Not exactly better, but meh.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I always thought the reason for the roof of the Cell giving away was because it was built like poo poo. You can see the zipties holding the chain-link panels to the frame and a couple give away when Taker and Foley step onto a corner of a panel.

Unless we're talking about a different kind of "rigging".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maybe it was rigged in the sense of "This is supposed to give way" and not rigged in the sense of "This shouldn't be giving way when we step on it."

In fact isn't that actually what Foley said? That the plan was for him to go through relatively slowly, and then he just went splat?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
How I heard it was the actual problem was that loving chair came down with him and landed on his mouth/face, otherwise it would have went off as planned, instead it knocked him unconscious and forced a tooth through his loving nose.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Shima Honnou posted:

How I heard it was the actual problem was that loving chair came down with him and landed on his mouth/face, otherwise it would have went off as planned, instead it knocked him unconscious and forced a tooth through his loving nose.

I think the impact of hitting the ring so god drat hard knocked him out and the chair was more "insult to injury". Terry Funk always said he thought the fall killed him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Justin Godscock posted:

I always thought the reason for the roof of the Cell giving away was because it was built like poo poo. You can see the zipties holding the chain-link panels to the frame and a couple give away when Taker and Foley step onto a corner of a panel.

Unless we're talking about a different kind of "rigging".

I read that it was rigged with the zip ties for visual effect but there's a million different stories from every party involved so who knows.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I thought it was that it was meant to give way partially and Mick would then roll/fall/flop into the ring, instead of just flying open and not breaking the fall in any way.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Chewy Bitems posted:

I thought it was that it was meant to give way partially and Mick would then roll/fall/flop into the ring, instead of just flying open and not breaking the fall in any way.

Isn't there a pretty famous story about the first fall off the cell through the announce table too? I think I read that that spot was completely unplanned until they got to the top of the Cell. I think Foley said "Mark, throw me off!" and Taker was like "gently caress no, dude, you're out of your mind" and then Foley convinced him.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Edit: It's also funny how whenever I talk to friends that used to watch wrestling as a kid but no longer do, it's the Foley/Taker Cell match that they remember most vividly. It's such a bad match but so memorable.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

They're on Hulu (regular not Plus), not Netflix.

http://www.hulu.com/wwe-nxt

New episodes seem to be uploaded on Wednesdays, but today's hasn't arrived yet.
Of course since you said this it hasn't shown up even in the morning of Thursday :argh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Professor Funk posted:

It's also funny how whenever I talk to friends that used to watch wrestling as a kid but no longer do, it's the Foley/Taker Cell match that they remember most vividly. It's such a bad match but so memorable.

It's not fair to call it a "bad" match, as it's not really even what I'd call a match.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

It's not fair to call it a "bad" match, as it's not really even what I'd call a match.

I was shocked to find out it went 30+ minutes. I just assumed it was like a 15 minute match at the most. Just those two spots and time for recovery.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am shocked to find out that people don't think it was a good match. I haven't seen it since it aired on PPV other than the 'highlights' of it. I don't remember the match in detail other than the obvious parts, and I guess that's all I remember of it. Was it really a bad match? It's so iconic (not like they can/can't be mutually exclusive)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I was shocked to find out it went 30+ minutes. I just assumed it was like a 15 minute match at the most. Just those two spots and time for recovery.

KotR '98 was a show that was probably great live, but on replay, doesn't hold up well. Almost all of it depended on shock value (Mick dying for our entertainment, Kane surprise winning the title) and comedy (Ha ha, Head can be pinned because Brian Christopher shoved a bottle of Head and Shoulders into the neck hole!). You still had matches with losers like Jeff Jarrett, X-Pac, and Dan Severn (Edit: And the NEW Midnight Express!).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Having seen it on Youtube, it's not that it's a bad match so much as one of the participants is so completely broken after the first couple minutes that there isn't much that they can really do. Supposedly Mick wasn't even sure if he'd used the tacks, as he was so out of it from head trauma.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

dialhforhero posted:

I am shocked to find out that people don't think it was a good match. I haven't seen it since it aired on PPV other than the 'highlights' of it. I don't remember the match in detail other than the obvious parts, and I guess that's all I remember of it. Was it really a bad match? It's so iconic (not like they can/can't be mutually exclusive)

It's certainly a "good" match in that watching it is a visceral thrill; no matter how many times you watch it, the big spots give off that "holy poo poo did that really just happen?" reaction. It's a "bad" match in the sense that it's essentially two big spots with very little actual wrestling.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

It's certainly a "good" match in that watching it is a visceral thrill; no matter how many times you watch it, the big spots give off that "holy poo poo did that really just happen?" reaction. It's a "bad" match in the sense that it's essentially two big spots with very little actual wrestling.

It's more impressive that Foley and Taker finished the match, given their injuries.

I can't believe Foley came out again later that night to interfere in the main event.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Better match between two guys when one of them is legit unaware of what's going on around them: Taker/Foley HIAC, or Cactus/Sandman Texas Deathmatch?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oldskool posted:

Better match between two guys when one of them is legit unaware of what's going on around them: Taker/Foley HIAC, or Cactus/Sandman Texas Deathmatch?

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit (pick any)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

bobkatt013 posted:

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit (pick any)

:drat:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oldskool posted:

Khali/Taker.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Professor Funk posted:

Isn't there a pretty famous story about the first fall off the cell through the announce table too? I think I read that that spot was completely unplanned until they got to the top of the Cell. I think Foley said "Mark, throw me off!" and Taker was like "gently caress no, dude, you're out of your mind" and then Foley convinced him.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Edit: It's also funny how whenever I talk to friends that used to watch wrestling as a kid but no longer do, it's the Foley/Taker Cell match that they remember most vividly. It's such a bad match but so memorable.

The throw off the top of the cage was a planned spot. The chokeslam through the cage either wasn't planned or wasn't intended to go the way it did. Luckily for Foley, Undertaker gave him probably the weakest chokeslam of all time otherwise things could have ended up even worse than they did.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I recall hearing that the fall through the top of the cage was planned, but it wasn't supposed to happen the way it did. I think that trapdoor was supposed to release slowly and let him fall more gently to the canvas, but it just gave way and knocked him out cold for a while.

I believe that's the spot where he lost the tooth that was lodged in his nose for the rest of the match too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Question that comes to mind riffing on this tweet:

quote:

Dear @ringofhonor,

You booked my flight for this Saturday with @AmericanAir. If I don't make it in time, don't wonder why.

Love,
Kevin

Apart from that one time the Iceland volcanic event stranded part of the WWE roster in Europe, what are some notable cases of inclement weather or other delays causing major problems for wrestling events? Even assuming you have a few days to get people where they need to be, have there been cases where everybody gets snowed in and you have to rebook on the fly?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apart from that one time the Iceland volcanic event stranded part of the WWE roster in Europe, what are some notable cases of inclement weather or other delays causing major problems for wrestling events? Even assuming you have a few days to get people where they need to be, have there been cases where everybody gets snowed in and you have to rebook on the fly?

I think ROH has had a couple of weird shows involving blizzards.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

In Your House: Beware of Dog had to be re-done two days later because a thunderstorm killed power to the arena and the PPV trucks like 30 minutes into the show.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think ROH has had a couple of weird shows involving blizzards.
One of which involved CM Punk (in OVW at the time) being brought down to fill in for some talent who couldn't make it. Punk, in his wrestling tights, went outside and make a snow angel post-show.

Tommy Dreamer allowed it and apparently got in a ton of poo poo for it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

In Your House: Beware of Dog had to be re-done two days later because a thunderstorm killed power to the arena and the PPV trucks like 30 minutes into the show.

I bought this PPV (don't ask me why), and sure enough, after the Mero/HHH match, the screen went blue with some sort of error message. The cable company was closed, so we had no idea what was happening.

Then, an hour or so later (it was a 2-hour PPV), it came back - and Shawn/Bulldog went on. They explained on Raw the next night that they'd "re-do" the show on Tuesday, and everyone that bought it would get the redo. So we had to call the cable company - and the Tuesday show took place, airing the taped matches first, and then had the original matches air live, with the explanation that they were each rematches (the matches still took place on Sunday, in the dark (a dark match! :haw:)), and if I'm not mistaken, they told us who won the previous match. So each one was essentially a rematch with the finish given away, and the only twist was that the Austin/Savio match now had DiBiase's career on the line. :psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When and how did Tommy Dreamer lose his job with WWE developmental?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

When and how did Tommy Dreamer lose his job with WWE developmental?

I believe he quit so he could be an active wrestler with the relaunched ECW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, that's good. I thought it was John Laurinaitis' fault somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Volcano Style posted:

One of which involved CM Punk (in OVW at the time) being brought down to fill in for some talent who couldn't make it. Punk, in his wrestling tights, went outside and make a snow angel post-show.
That would be Unscripted II, which was probably the best of the Unscripted shows, thanks to focussing pretty much all the attention on Punk and Danielson, though to be fair, Strong vs Whittmer and Nigel vs Aries were pretty entertaining matches themselves, only the opening matches were pretty much useless.

Unscripted I, what a waste. They had a tag title tournament, they had Dick Togo and Ikudo Hidaka, and they had the amazing London-Shane street fight, and yet, what people most remember aside from that match is a bland tournament, and a downright terrible Xavier-Low Ki match with a stupid as gently caress ending.

From Unscripted III, I honestly only remember Danielson vs Jacobs, everything else was just 'there'.