Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey NERDS, I'm selling my X52 and TrackIR 4 in case someone here is thinking of getting into DCS or the like. If you're interested hit me up at username at gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
So I have an X52 and it's been a while since I played DCS but I jumped in a for a bit the other day and noticed that the game kept locking up for about 1 or 2 seconds ever 15 or so seconds and I don't remember it doing that ever. I also noticed other games running fairly poorly as well. I checked my system processes and the X52 driver was eating up about 25% of my CPU. Is that normal?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mr. Mallory posted:

So I have an X52 and it's been a while since I played DCS but I jumped in a for a bit the other day and noticed that the game kept locking up for about 1 or 2 seconds ever 15 or so seconds and I don't remember it doing that ever. I also noticed other games running fairly poorly as well. I checked my system processes and the X52 driver was eating up about 25% of my CPU. Is that normal?

:stare:

Uh, no.

I'd completely re-install that and make sure it's the newest driver.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, something ain't right.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Mr. Mallory posted:

Also check that you aren't maxing out your ram and thrashing your hard drive as virtual memory, which can cause behaviour like that.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only time I had something similar was on my old system which was 32-bit W7, a GeForce 7600GT, and 2Gb of RAM, and it was the RAM causing the issue, simply due to a lack of it.

But it would stutter fairly regularly, ESPECIALLY even turning my head, as if it had to reload terrain every time my view changed.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
DCS on Steam is cheap TODAY (only looks like)!

I couldn't find the DCS thread to post that in so if anyone wants to do that, feel free.

Meanwhile, Steam Rise of Flight is cheap all week.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

DCS on Steam is cheap TODAY (only looks like)!

I couldn't find the DCS thread to post that in so if anyone wants to do that, feel free.

Meanwhile, Steam Rise of Flight is cheap all week.

:hellyeah: Got home from work and noticed that in my email box. I played the hell out of LOMAC back in the day and lost the disc so it's nice this version doesn't need a prior installation.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Picked up Black Shark 2 so I don't have to bother with installing BS1 before installing the BS2 update in future as that poo poo was annoying. :argh:

Now when my FC3 key from the DCS store finally activates in Steam I'll have everything there.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
thinking of upgrading my ancient Cyborg Evo, to a cheap equivalent I don't want to spend hundreds on an expensive HOTAS set up so looking at a Thrustmaster HOTAS X a madcatz fly5, thrustmaster T.16000M. For use with DCS, IL2, and KSP. Anyone personal experiences with any of them and advice would prove most helpful.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Englishman alone posted:

thinking of upgrading my ancient Cyborg Evo, to a cheap equivalent I don't want to spend hundreds on an expensive HOTAS set up so looking at a Thrustmaster HOTAS X a madcatz fly5, thrustmaster T.16000M. For use with DCS, IL2, and KSP. Anyone personal experiences with any of them and advice would prove most helpful.

Out of those the Thrustmaster t.16000m is undeniably the best stick

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I got a T16000M on ebay, new for about $35 and I love it. Having the hall sensor for the stick movement is incredibly precise. Noticeably better than my older sticks with pots. Knowing this, I would have been fine paying more for the stick also.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

I got a T16000M on ebay, new for about $35 and I love it. Having the hall sensor for the stick movement is incredibly precise. Noticeably better than my older sticks with pots. Knowing this, I would have been fine paying more for the stick also.
looking at the difference in price and seeing how much better the stick is I'm looking a lot at a X52pro(yes I know I said I didn't want over £100) but all the buttons and full HOTAS stuff is very appealing. Especially with the very complex DCS world craft with their millions of button.
Is the Hall sensor what makes T16000M so much better as on Amazon in the UK it is the same price as the basic Thrustmaster HOTAS(I'm not wild about its layout liking Saitek button layout more)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Not sure what other differences there might be, perhaps build quality. But the hall sensor is a huge plus.

I have other controls I use instead of a packaged HOTAS for the time being, so if you need additional throttle capability then a HOTAS might be the way to go. I no longer personally recommend anything by Saitek, having never owned a product of theirs that I like. But many many people have the X52 Pro and are happy with it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The X52 Pro has a successor coming out very soon, I'd hold off on it. I like mine but I'd recommend waiting

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Ferret King posted:

Is the hat on top analogue?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is the hat on top analogue?

Negative. Buttons. It's clicky. 8-way switch.

Forgot to mention one drawback of the T160000000000000M. There is a very bright, very large lighted green transparent panel at the base of the stick. It illuminates anytime the stick moves any amount from true center. Because of the innate accuracy of the hall sensor, they felt you would be well served by knowing when you were out of center. It's really loving bright, really big, and really stupid. I haven't blocked mine off yet but I will eventually with thick paper and tape or something.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 12, 2014

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

Negative. Buttons. It's clicky. 8-way switch.

Forgot to mention one drawback of the T160000000000000M. There is a very bright, very large lighted green transparent panel at the base of the stick. It illuminates anytime the stick moves any amount from true center. Because of the innate accuracy of the hall sensor, they felt you would be well served by knowing when you were out of center. It's really loving bright, really big, and really stupid. I haven't blocked mine off yet but I will eventually with thick paper and tape or something.
I'm very found of my Cyborg Evo and the fact I can get 7 button in very easy reach plus the POV hat. It works aright apart from its bloody awful deadzone problem and I would like an upgrade for semi serious simming. I like the idea of a HOTAS set up and all but the Fly5 have all on the whole had decent reviews.
the joysticks all seem to very well lit compared to my old one seems a bit distracting.

the replacement of the X52Pro the X55?(isn't there also a price bump compared to X52pro is just over budget. I wouldn't want to spend much more)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The great thing about a properly centered stick with a hall sensor -> No deadzone required ever. Finger touch sensitivity.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3Dv2.1 is out

And flightsim fans are still terrible.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I've been getting back into DCS P-51D and I was wondering if any of the weapons are able to take out a T-72? Obviously the .50 cals are basically worthless against them, but can the HVARs even damage it? I just spent a good 10 minutes plinking with infinite ammo but I'm not sure if I'm a terrible shot or if they just don't do anything.

Does anyone have any tips for aiming rockets? I can kind of eyeball it but I'd like to be able to reliably hit something without shooting off all of them in a burst (or is that just how it is with the P-51)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mederlock posted:

The X52 Pro has a successor coming out very soon, I'd hold off on it. I like mine but I'd recommend waiting

X55 Rhino or whatever is it called does not looks like a successor for X52 Pro. But I have not seen anything else than a PR unit review by someone not really tech-savvy.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
What's happening with DCS Mig-21? The official website still says it'll be released at the end of March, but almost all mention of it has disappeared from the Eagle Dynamics forums - apart from a locked thread where the developer apparently made this post saying the project is on hold indefinitely due to "very serious disagreement and financial issues within the team" and may never be released :ohdear:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Geoff posted:

What's happening with DCS Mig-21? The official website still says it'll be released at the end of March, but almost all mention of it has disappeared from the Eagle Dynamics forums - apart from a locked thread where the developer apparently made this post saying the project is on hold indefinitely due to "very serious disagreement and financial issues within the team" and may never be released :ohdear:

Quotes found here. Looks grim. :(

Cobra847@SimHQ posted:

Hi Everyone,
First of all-- your assumptions are all wrong. This is not some petty dispute or someone storming off without just cause. This is an internal issue that can be easily rectified, but instead of engaging in clear dialogue, much more serious steps were taken. Steps that were public.
We pride ourselves in being professional in every facet of our products and outward image, therefore this issue going public causes us great grief.
We will not say more at this time. Please keep speculation to a minimum. Seeing something being destroyed in the eyes of the public after a concentrated effort of years of development is heartbreaking.
We have a reputation to maintain, and seeing it be torn to shreds in the matter of two days is far more crushing. Especially with regards to what we have in the pipeline.
We remain committed to the MiG-21 and are working hard to resolve this and move on. Please have faith in us.
/Nicholas, Novak, Roland & Michael -- DCS: MiG-21

streakeagle@ED posted:

1. Firm end of March release date announced.
2. Project lead posts about major problems that may delay or even kill the project.
3. ED disables/hides project forum.
4. Cobra frequently posts that an announcement will be made "soon" about the project status, but indicates project will continue and maybe even make original announced release date.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Captain Novolin posted:

Does anyone have any tips for aiming rockets? I can kind of eyeball it but I'd like to be able to reliably hit something without shooting off all of them in a burst (or is that just how it is with the P-51)

That's pretty much how it is with 1940's rockets, yeah. The only way you're going to get away with letting them off slowly is if you're shooting into an environment rich in soft targets like a truck convoy or something, at which point you ought to be using your guns anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebBI0CJX7LY

It might feel wasteful, but one dead tank is better than none.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone with Prepar3d 2.x and TrackIR manage to get them to work together? I had a weak moment, this morning...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, I just had a boring patrol in Rise of Flight turn into a terrifying fight for survival.

On the way back from patrol one of my flight mates nicked my tail somehow during high time acceleration. I lost elevator control at about 1km up and the plane constantly wanted to pitch up. After doing a few dangerous maneuvers I realize rolling sideways would give me some measure of control over my aircraft via slow turns, so I used that plus throttle control to slowly descend.

Once down low I tried to figure out how to land. The plan was to bank until I was nearly touching the ground, slowly throttle back, then once near stall speed roll and the ground (probably hard) with the wheels level.

Unfortunately it didn't quite work out that way. One on the knife's edge of stall speed, it just didn't want to roll (I should've remembered this) so it just pitched up, stalled and SLAM.

Still, I'm amazed I managed to get down at all! I was banged up in the crash, but they only kept me in hospital for a week. I really wish they'd issue us parachutes, I would've ditched in a heart beat. :saddowns: This is the second time I've crash landed like this and man, the damage model sure is impressive looking. The way the plane just bends and breaks.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Does anyone here VATSIM much? I'm interested in trying it out but god drat is it complicated. Would love someone who's more familiar with it to fly with me.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I was pretty excited to see FC3 no longer requiring LOMAC, which would have cost me more to get a copy of than the game FC3 at full price itself. With it being on sale I eagerly picked it up and decided to get back into DCS. Alas I'm suffering a bit of a problem.

My view seems to be stuck upwards. Well more precisely, it tries to centre itself vertical and trying to move away from it is a futile struggle against the games desire to have you stare at the sky above. Understandably it's kind of hard to fly when this is your view.

Sometimes if I fight it long enough it will randomly start to work normally, with discernable cause. Also often, but not always, the first time I do a flight with headtracking enabled it will work as expected but any subsequent flights the headtracking is entirely ignored. It doesn't appear to be a faulty input anywhere I can find, I've tried removing each input device individually already and the problem persists.

Anyone have any ideas? It's pretty much unplayable.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
With a bit of googling I found someone with a similar problem who solved it by clearing the binding for "view up slow".

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/810939351351789773/

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, just something weird bound to a view. I had it happen in Rise of Flight and had to do something similar. Don't panic!

alr
May 14, 2009
Could also be something related to controller drivers. I had that exact problem in DCS Black Shark when I had VJoy installed for a third party controller, uninstalling fixed it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks guys, seems that an old version of facetracknoi or something installed a vitual joystick that DCS was suddenly picking up. I didn't notice the horizontal scroll on the binding screen and completely missed it when I went looking through my keys before.

edit: alr that was precisely it.

Anyway now that I have that working, are there any good/recommended community alternatives to the training videos? Missions or videos? The video quality is horrible and the audio is often worse. I'm going to go searching youtube.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 16, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Demonlord posted:

Does anyone here VATSIM much? I'm interested in trying it out but god drat is it complicated. Would love someone who's more familiar with it to fly with me.

Short answer is: not as often as we used to. However, many of us in #flightsim got started together with VATSIM, and I've sometimes hosted newbie nights at a small airport where I'll be ATC and let goons get away with murder while trying to learn the ropes. We can all be on Mumble an VATSIM simultaneously, so we can coach new people through responses and "what did he say/what did that mean" questions in real time.

It's been a while since we've had one of those. With the proper motivation I'd be happy to host another, it usually draws 5-10 old sim goons out of hiding for some pattern shenanigans.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
That would be awesome. The ATC's scare the hell out of me and I have no idea how to communicate on an ATC network. Having someone around to fly with and bounce questions off of would make learning much much easier.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'd be up for some pattern shenanigans.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yes, it has been too long. Let's plan a newbie night!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I would probably try to get at it as well. Can we make it happen somewhere Fri-Tue (These are days I can make it to US timezone.) ?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I might be up for that depending on the day. For all of you who haven't done VATSIM in forever, your account may have been deactivated due to inactivity. You'll have to go to their terribly laid out website to find where to reactivate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I vatsim at least 1x a week, often more. Just message me on synirc as I don't idle in #flightsim but am on the network during work hours.

Also I am west coast. If you are west coast its usually a problem to time it with everyone else.

And I would recommend going here http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home and checking out lesson V1. It has exact transcripts of what you'll need to say, responses, etc. and most of the zla controllers are pretty good with new pilots. And the lessons are fun.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2014