Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So how long does it usually take for a semi-coherent translation of new episodes to come out each month? I've never watched a single anime or read a manga, but someone told me I should watch AoT, and I ended up burning through the whole thing on netflix over the weekend, and then promptly bought and read all the kindle volumes too.

I'm caught up on everything else via mangareader and now I just want to know more poo poo that happens :negative:

edit: oh that's a lot nicer thanks vvv

astr0man fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Read it on crunchyroll. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/attack-on-titan/volumes

New chapter comes out on the seventh.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

He's basically already a princess though...

Eren is the Zelda to Mikasa's Link.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think the best way to get rid of the titans might be to:
-kill everyone in the church
-kill everyone in the very inner wall.
Seems like the call is coming from inside the building, as it were.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hope y'all read part 8, because now SoT is up to part 9! :dance:

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 30, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Looks like the raw is going to be out in a few hours. I leave you with this lovely spoilery image.

http://www.mangabee.com/Attack_on_Titan/54/4/

Djel makes the last mistake of his life.

Edit: Oh cmon. >:| Let's just link the page then.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 5, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Looks like the raw is going to be out in a few hours. I leave you with this lovely spoilery image.

http://www.onemanga.me/wp-content/manga/777/82/54004.jpg

That just gives a hotlinking error.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm not sure how I like this cosplay. I didn't think titans were supposed to have genitalia.

Just kidding! It's SoT Part 10.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Missing Name posted:

I'm not sure how I like this cosplay. I didn't think titans were supposed to have genitalia.

Just kidding! It's SoT Part 10.
Awww, Hange's pretty adorable when she's not gushing over titans.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

http://www.mangabee.com/Attack_on_Titan/54/4/

Edit: Oh cmon. >:| Let's just link the page then.

It doesn't look like Levi bit it this chapter, given what transpired on that page. Hope I didn't jinx it!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

And here we go. The untranslated scans.

http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/1845

Spoiler checklist for the chapter.

The woman Eren saw in the mirror begins this chapter's story by approaching a young Historia. She is a little older this time. She can change someone's memories through touch. She was Historia's tutor.

The woman in the mirror shows a history book. A girl with an apple is approaching a Titan with a hood on and appears to be sitting on a throne. What the hell is symbolism? The titan in the book, is Ymir's titan. I'm getting the vibe that Historia's intended purpose is to be a sacrifice. If we take what interested Ymir in Historia originally, she was a previous sacrifice.

The operation is a success. Mikasa is as usual a super badass. The kidnappers of fake Eren and Historia are businessmen.

The businessmen are threatening to starve humanity, Levi tries to persuade them to join the Scout Legion's side.

Djel gets captured. Tortured. Reveals-

The King is the one behind the political agitation. He is not above using civilians as hostages to capture Eren and Historia.

Commander Erwin: "This is the only possible way for humanity's survival. We must use our power to eliminate the Monarchy." The civil war begins.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 6, 2014

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Spoiler checklist for the chapter.

The woman Eren saw in the mirror begins this chapter's story by approaching a young Historia. She is a little older this time. She can change someone's memories through touch. She was Historia's tutor.

The woman in the mirror shows a history book. A girl with an apple is approaching a Titan with a hood on and appears to be sitting on a throne. What the hell is symbolism? The titan in the book, is Ymir's titan. I'm getting the vibe that Historia's intended purpose is to be a sacrifice. If we take what interested Ymir in Historia originally, she was a previous sacrifice.

The operation is a success. Mikasa is as usual a super badass. The kidnappers of fake Eren and Historia are businessmen.

The businessmen are threatening to starve humanity, Levi tries to persuade them to join the Scout Legion's side.

Djel gets captured. Tortured. Reveals-

The King is the one behind the political agitation. He is not above using civilians as hostages to capture Eren and Historia.

Commander Erwin: "This is the only possible way for humanity's survival. We must use our power to eliminate the Monarchy." The civil war begins.

Goddamn young Historia and her tutor are adorable. Was not expecting it to go this direction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://www.mangabee.com/Attack_on_Titan/54/4/ Early translation out.

I would let the story play out before we flip out about the "fascist subtext". Erwin could very well win the civil war and get power, then do the same poo poo as the monarchy on a different day and be a condemnation of these types of things. Or they end up making things worse. Or the Monarchy was ultimately doing the right thing. This is a series with a lot of plot twists and realistic consequences so I think it's way too early to lose our poo poo about fascism.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2014

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Did...that guy accuse Armin of turning him gay?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm hoping that bit was a weird mistranslation or something because it was :stare: as gently caress and had absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

:staredog:

In hindsight, when Hange was threatening to throw Nick off the wall and said "I can't imagine how many people are in the know," this is what she meant.

With a coup d'état, I wonder how many and which characters will bite it in the next arc.

edit: I wonder if the Reebs company can really be trusted, even if they tentatively have an alliance with the Corps? They seem really slimy and can probably give the Corps/Pixis coalition a dolchstoss.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 6, 2014

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It seems that the fascist subtext is now just fascist text.

e:I mean, this chapter literally features an alliance of the military and the capitalist class to overthrow authority and to protect the latter's interests and privileges. I'm kind of disgusted.

e2: The tutor must have manipulated Eren's memories and actually inserted some into his mind, hence why he saw her from her point-of-view..
That's not really a reasonable account of what happened at all? To begin with, the Scouts and the merchant company are each very small subsets of those classes, and nowhere near a leadership position in either. The conspiracy is set off by the fact that the central authority is itself behaving lawlessly, and the "interests and privileges" involved are presented credibly as "not being dead." Military coups are not inherently fascist, though they've been a favorite means for them at times.

I mean, if you want to read that into it you can, I guess, but with these standards, pretty much any attempt by the Scouts to improve their position against the Central MPs other than leading a mob of the dispossessed from the underground could be read that way.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Yes, the central government has been shown to be heartless and corrupt from the start of the story. They sent 200,000 people on a suicide mission to re-take wall Maria.

That said I am now most interested in mind wipe lady and the implications of the book from which she was having Historia read. I'm guess that the mind wipe lady is the same person telling Eren she'll see him later in his dream

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

threeagainstfour posted:

Yes, the central government has been shown to be heartless and corrupt from the start of the story. They sent 200,000 people on a suicide mission to re-take wall Maria.

It's worse then that. They sent out the expeditionary force for the sole purpose of reducing the number of mouths they had to feed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm hoping that bit was a weird mistranslation or something because it was :stare: as gently caress and had absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Yeah, assuming there are Japanese raws, can anyone who knows Japanese provide their own translation for that specific part? Because that as translated seems completely out of left field and apropos of nothing else in the chapter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm personally ready for some revelations regarding at least one or more of the central mysteries of the series.

I admire and enjoy Isayama's ability to constantly introduce new characters, plot threads, or Titan abilities that flip everything you thought you knew on its head, without feeling contrived. That said, I'm starting to get mystery fatigue and could use at least some explanation.

Hopefully this new development of the Survey Corps versus the monarchy will end up with us finding out at least a little bit of what is really happening in this world.

edit: yea, I understand that we get little tidbits every chapter. I'm ready for at least one big reveal though. The last reveal, that humans are inside the napes of titans, was more of an expected reveal than a surprise.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 6, 2014

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm personally ready for some revelations regarding at least one or more of the central mysteries of the series.

I admire and enjoy Isayama's ability to constantly introduce new characters, plot threads, or Titan abilities that flip everything you thought you knew on its head, without feeling contrived. That said, I'm starting to get mystery fatigue and could use at least some explanation.

Hopefully this new development of the Survey Corps versus the monarchy will end up with us finding out at least a little bit of what is really happening in this world.

With the focus on Historia it should only be a matter of time before we finally learn what on earth is going on with the wall. In terms of how I view the series as a whole going I see the next three arcs being.

1.Fun inside the walls.
2.Dealing with the shifter village.
3.Figuring out what the hell is up with the monkey titan.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm ready for a year-long civil war arc. :getin:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It seems that the fascist subtext is now just fascist text.

e:I mean, this chapter literally features an alliance of the military and the capitalist class to overthrow authority and to protect the latter's interests and privileges. I'm kind of disgusted.

e2: The tutor must have manipulated Eren's memories and actually inserted some into his mind, hence why he saw her from her point-of-view..

The "capitalist class" has been portrayed pretty negatively so far, though (which doesn't necessarily preclude it being fascist).

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

With the focus on Historia it should only be a matter of time before we finally learn what on earth is going on with the wall. In terms of how I view the series as a whole going I see the next three arcs being.

I agree. With Eren's inability to do the armor hardening everyone is forced to stay in the walls, it's a good guess that we're going to find out the truth about what's going on inside the walls.

Speaking of the conspirators- the King looks pretty young and fit for a royal who seemingly doesn't do much. Someone else called it too, the woman in the mirror is probably the person Eren saw in the first chapter. I wonder what her game is? She seems to have an otherworldly power and knowledge. Wouldn't be surprised if she is the real big bad of the series seeing as how it's clear at this point someone or some organization is running things behind the scenes, and that's how she's operating so far.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c001/18.html Wearing similarish clothes. I bet she gave Eren the scarf that Mikasa now has. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c054/9.html I think the ability she showed is a nice fat hint that Eren's powerset is much more broad and powerful than we've been led to believe.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 6, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That's what I got from it too. I think is either mistranslation or a really bad joke.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

When is the Crunchyroll translation coming?

e: Tomorrow

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's what I got from it too. I think is either mistranslation or a really bad joke.

I don't think that was a joke, I'm pretty sure that guy was just intended to be really, really loving creepy.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I do like the idea of Levi turning the merchants into allies of the Survey Corps. It plays into the theme of humankind uniting against one enemy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

I do like the idea of Levi turning the merchants into allies of the Survey Corps. It plays into the theme of humankind uniting against one enemy.

Dunno, those guys seem pretty slimy and might turn on the Survey Corps in an instant if the King and co. offer them enough reason to do so

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Dunno, those guys seem pretty slimy and might turn on the Survey Corps in an instant if the King and co. offer them enough reason to do so

He seems to legitimately care about the welfare of the people in the city at the very least.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

threeagainstfour posted:

edit: yea, I understand that we get little tidbits every chapter. I'm ready for at least one big reveal though. The last reveal, that humans are inside the napes of titans, was more of an expected reveal than a surprise.
I suspect a huge amount of mystery will remain by the time the series ends, but maybe they'll get some credible measure of security against extinction by then. The fact that the nature and motives of all factions but one are shrouded is a huge part of what lets people read whatever kind of ideological narratives they want into the text, which is probably intentional on the part of the author. Liberals, communists, fascists, and all manner of young people with political thoughts of any sort interact with it how they want, and that's a big part of the draw. Everyone who takes such interests thinks their concerns are urgent, while everyone else is caught up in petty squabbles and some powerful threat is developing, and stories about desperate battles of incredible consequence punctuating a frustrating struggle against a society with backwards priorities excite. But if the story betrays expectations by narrowing possible interpretations in a way that appears to favor one or another narrative, part of that enjoyment collapses for large sections of the readership. The formula has worked well enough so far and I doubt Isayama thinks he has something to say that's worth throwing away huge career success for.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So there's a translation on mangareader, so more specific spoiler talk to follow

Historia's tutor tells her to forget about her till the next time they meet and it uses the exact same sound effect that Eren used for titan command. It seems likely that coordinator powers are straight up mind control that work on humans as well. This is a bit out there but Eren's big Tatake! moment with Mikasa when they were kids might even be a result of that as well.

Historia also mentions waking up dreaming about something important that she couldn't remember, and Eren mentions that he has that seem feeling alot. Considering that the woman Eren flashed back to look alot like him and Historia, they both might be descendents of the previous coordinator or something.

Also, Erwin mentioned that the monarchy is using all it's powers to gain control of Eren and Historia to the point of neglect over the one thing prevent humanity from total extinction so they might be informed about the coordinator power as well.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 6, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

I took it as a joke making fun of the people who are into Armin for his potential trap factor.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Will you people please stop linking poo poo in Chinese and saying it's untranslated/raw.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I agree. With Eren's inability to do the armor hardening everyone is forced to stay in the walls, it's a good guess that we're going to find out the truth about what's going on inside the walls.

Speaking of the conspirators- the King looks pretty young and fit for a royal who seemingly doesn't do much. Someone else called it too, the woman in the mirror is probably the person Eren saw in the first chapter. I wonder what her game is? She seems to have an otherworldly power and knowledge. Wouldn't be surprised if she is the real big bad of the series seeing as how it's clear at this point someone or some organization is running things behind the scenes, and that's how she's operating so far.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c001/18.html Wearing similarish clothes. I bet she gave Eren the scarf that Mikasa now has. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c054/9.html I think the ability she showed is a nice fat hint that Eren's powerset is much more broad and powerful than we've been led to believe.

We don't actually see that mysterious tutor woman in c1p13, we only see Mikasa. Nevertheless, the effect is the same, we now have confirmation that there is some mindwiper going around manipulating the very memories of the populace. That is terrifying.

this allusion meant posted:

I suspect a huge amount of mystery will remain by the time the series ends, but maybe they'll get some credible measure of security against extinction by then. The fact that the nature and motives of all factions but one are shrouded is a huge part of what lets people read whatever kind of ideological narratives they want into the text, which is probably intentional on the part of the author. Liberals, communists, fascists, and all manner of young people with political thoughts of any sort interact with it how they want, and that's a big part of the draw. Everyone who takes such interests thinks their concerns are urgent, while everyone else is caught up in petty squabbles and some powerful threat is developing, and stories about desperate battles of incredible consequence punctuating a frustrating struggle against a society with backwards priorities excite. But if the story betrays expectations by narrowing possible interpretations in a way that appears to favor one or another narrative, part of that enjoyment collapses for large sections of the readership. The formula has worked well enough so far and I doubt Isayama thinks he has something to say that's worth throwing away huge career success for.

I essentially agree, so long as we keep a measure of understanding with all the different factions within the story, then it won't dip into fascist nonsense. Actions can be morally indefensible (such as the wallists intending to murder Historia? but so long as the audience is privy to some kind of internal logic driving their motivations, then the author's decision to paint that faction's actions is sound.

What I'm saying is that surely the monarchy has some drat good reason for trying to suppress the recon corp's use of Eren. My suspicion, from the start, is that the titans are some kind of out-of-control bioweapon. Counterweapons like Eren have been used in the past, and all have inevitably spiraled out of control at some point. After all, one of the central conceits of the show is that characters are willing to sacrifice their humanity for power, and then the text is willing to display their repercussions. Like Erwin sacrificing his troops and being forced to keep going all-in with his cards, or Mikasa sacrificing her emotions and becoming slaved to Eren's will, or Armin sacrificing the truth and instigating a third colossal attack on the walls.

My suspicion is the central conflict between the monarchy and the shifters is that the former is utterly terrified of the repercussions of exploiting the use of the bioweapons, while the shifters willingly embrace the change and the inevitable madness. Neither option are particularly efficient at maximising the kantian idea of humanity.

Also, Ymir's motivation. Her drive to seek out Historia/Krista has always been a little "off" to me. I suspect that at some point after regaining human form, the desire to find Krista was implanted in her head by the mysterious telepathic lady.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Mad speculation:

I'm thinking the flashback lady is Eren. Titan aging is clearly abnormal - Ymir claims to be incredibly old, but we've seen her and Eren as kids, and now as teenagers. Eren definitely went through puberty, so clearly Titan-shifters clearly still age. I think the lifecycle for Titan-shifters is:

1) Birth.
2) Attain Titan-shifting at puberty.
3) Inevitably lose control of Titan and become a mindless Abnormal.
4) Abnormal acts as a regenerative cocoon until an amnesiac Titan-shifter pops out as a young child.

As such, the woman Eren sees in flashbacks is probably him - not a past life or a stolen memory, but his own life from a previous regeneration. Past-Eren had a deep attachment to Historia, and mastery of the Command power. Then something happened, possibly the events that triggered a plague, or Berthold's attack on the walls, and she was reborn into a young Eren who was, in turn, adopted by Grisha and Kalura Jaeger.

Meta-evidence: In the prototype Attack on Titan manga, Eren's prototype was a girl. Also, these interview snippets suggest that Eren was intended to be a very different character initially. This flashback girl could be that original character returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Phobophilia posted:

We don't actually see that mysterious tutor woman in c1p13, we only see Mikasa. Nevertheless, the effect is the same, we now have confirmation that there is some mindwiper going around manipulating the very memories of the populace. That is terrifying.

I essentially agree, so long as we keep a measure of understanding with all the different factions within the story, then it won't dip into fascist nonsense. Actions can be morally indefensible (such as the wallists intending to murder Historia? but so long as the audience is privy to some kind of internal logic driving their motivations, then the author's decision to paint that faction's actions is sound.

What I'm saying is that surely the monarchy has some drat good reason for trying to suppress the recon corp's use of Eren. My suspicion, from the start, is that the titans are some kind of out-of-control bioweapon. Counterweapons like Eren have been used in the past, and all have inevitably spiraled out of control at some point. After all, one of the central conceits of the show is that characters are willing to sacrifice their humanity for power, and then the text is willing to display their repercussions. Like Erwin sacrificing his troops and being forced to keep going all-in with his cards, or Mikasa sacrificing her emotions and becoming slaved to Eren's will, or Armin sacrificing the truth and instigating a third colossal attack on the walls.

My suspicion is the central conflict between the monarchy and the shifters is that the former is utterly terrified of the repercussions of exploiting the use of the bioweapons, while the shifters willingly embrace the change and the inevitable madness. Neither option are particularly efficient at maximising the kantian idea of humanity.

Also, Ymir's motivation. Her drive to seek out Historia/Krista has always been a little "off" to me. I suspect that at some point after regaining human form, the desire to find Krista was implanted in her head by the mysterious telepathic lady.

Yeah, but if the Titans are a bio-weapon or something of that nature gone horribly wrong how does Monkey-Trouble fit into all of this? He seems like a 3rd party completely unrelated to humanity and yet can create the titans just fine by himself.