Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

Another Sochi picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Fernhill posted:

Another Sochi picture:

This is pretty standard outside Most european countries, the states and oceania though? Treatment for sewerage which contains paper and other debris is like 10 times as expensive or something crazy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Goodpancakes posted:

That is weird. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world are based on USSR vs USA alignment rather then economics. I'm not sure Russia can ever be 3rd world

They've changed over the years to mean economic development at this point. Since, you know, the Cold War is over and all.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Drone_Fragger posted:

This is pretty standard outside Most european countries, the states and oceania though? Treatment for sewerage which contains paper and other debris is like 10 times as expensive or something crazy.

I remember reading about similar signs being seen in old hotels and other accommodation in Athens during the 2004 Summer Games and the explanation was that the plumbing was too narrow/fragile/old to handle all that toilet paper. I don't know what excuse they have for a brand new hotel at Sochi though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You realize that the sewers are also part of the plumbing, right? The toilet paper doesn't magically disappear when the the sewage leaves the building.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, I've run into this in several countries.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

RatHat posted:

Well yeah, but these ones might go unnoticed.

They usually hide under the gills

Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is it the paper or the plumbing? They don't have septic-safe toilet paper?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Probably the centuries-old sewer systems, if I had to guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fernhill posted:

Is it the paper or the plumbing? They don't have septic-safe toilet paper?

I've heard of it happening to at least one guy who lived in New York (this was back in the '80s; no idea if it still exists). His house was right on the water, and they couldn't flush toilet paper unless they bought special marine toilet paper.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I think it's the plants at the end of the plumbing, if they're old or cheap they don't have the systems in place to deal with all the toilet paper in the poop stream since it breaks down slower than turds and piss do.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

LingcodKilla posted:

Ah, I know these - "nacho cheese" flavoured doritos brand corn chips.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Lookout, it's Mr cranky pants

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think it's the plants at the end of the plumbing, if they're old or cheap they don't have the systems in place to deal with all the toilet paper in the poop stream since it breaks down slower than turds and piss do.

You'd think at least some of those 50 billions Russia poured into Sochi would go towards modernizing this stuff.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
E: Wrong thread.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crocuta posted:

At least the Olympics dodged this bullet

I really hope that sign isn't ironic.

dijon du jour posted:

Another Sochi that I can't believe no one has posted yet.

Another sign of the shoddy workmanship in Sochi: comic sans.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Krowley posted:

You'd think at least some of those 50 billions Russia poured into Sochi would go towards modernizing this stuff.

Putin on the tits.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

curious posted:

Ah, I know these - "nacho cheese" flavoured doritos brand corn chips.
I just want you to know I get this joke.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

karn1635 posted:

Putin on the tits.

:golfclap:

nice

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LingcodKilla posted:

All I see is the small tear in his glove and the creature scurrying towards it and burrowing under it like the scarabs in The Mummy.

This happened like right after the picture was taken, I'm sure.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Check out a lovely film called The Bay. It's got all kinds of those things and they all go on adventures!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Krowley posted:

I'm surprised they aren't just making massive poo poo lagoons like the US uses for pig waste and more rural areas. There are automatic bar screens which catch rags, scrape themselves clean, and deposit the rags into a dumpster so a modern treatment plant with money wouldn't have an issue with some TP.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Fernhill posted:

Another Sochi picture:

Old plumbing or not, is it too much trouble to at least put a bag/liner in the bin?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Would be decadent American excess, tovarishch.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I'd probably flush it anyways. If they're not gonna try to make it nice, neither am I!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I think everyone's missing the obvious other possibility here. What if the treatment facility is great (for toilet paper) and the plumbing is top-notch (for toilet paper), but they don't want you to flush the stuff on the roll because that's surplus wallpaper/carpet/drapes/animal skins?

TIN FOIL

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

holttho posted:

I'd probably flush it anyways. If they're not gonna try to make it nice, neither am I!

Remember that picture from earlier with the open manhole covers?

Imagine that but with toxic poop soup bubbling out of them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

dijon du jour posted:

Remember that picture from earlier with the open manhole covers?

Imagine that but with toxic poop soup bubbling out of them.

That looks like a manhole for electrical conduits not a sanitary sewer.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
My hometown...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Decrepus posted:

You obviously haven't seen enough Sochi pictures if you think this is at all relevant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decrepus posted:

You really think Sochi has different lines for those things? They could dig many tunnels, or they could have electropiss caverns. Helps keep stray dogs out of tunnels.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Fair enough.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -