Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For people that don't download a heavy heavy amount, Block accounts work out pretty well. There's one provider that is always having a sale on 500GB and 1TB block accounts for a flat fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

skipdogg posted:

For people that don't download a heavy heavy amount, Block accounts work out pretty well. There's one provider that is always having a sale on 500GB and 1TB block accounts for a flat fee.

Speaking of, NewsgroupDirect, a Highwinds reseller, has a good deal going right now: http://newsgroupdirect.com/deal-of-the-week

$60 for a 2TB Block account.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

evol262 posted:

If it's not open, it's hard for content owners to get NZBs and submit DMCA requests for every MID conveniently available in one place.

No way that's the reason. They close down to limit the number of users and therefore cut down on the amount of bandwidth and processing power required to run the site.

If any of us are able to get in, it's no problem for content owners and their legal teams to do the same. Even if it wasn't, they could just roll their own indexers considering Usenet access and hardware is all they need.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm having great success with Supernews + Blocknews with downloading old articles that Supernews was struggling with before I got the backup.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

xgalaxy posted:

I'm having great success with Supernews + Blocknews with downloading old articles that Supernews was struggling with before I got the backup.

This is what I use as well, with an additional block on Tweaknews for stuff missing from both Super and Block.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

I am too but it's chewing through my block at a good rate :( I missed the Blocknews sale last year which sucks, next time I'll just pick up a terabyte instead of 100GB.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Keito posted:

No way that's the reason. They close down to limit the number of users and therefore cut down on the amount of bandwidth and processing power required to run the site.

If any of us are able to get in, it's no problem for content owners and their legal teams to do the same. Even if it wasn't, they could just roll their own indexers considering Usenet access and hardware is all they need.

Uh, how much bandwidth do you think it takes to serve text files? How much processing power do you think it takes to serve text files? It's not like they go crawl a.b.boneless when you search for something. Their indexers are already running. It's a sunk cost.

Content owners have to go through legal to get in. Legal can't get in through the courts because there's nothing illegal about hosting lists of hashes. Unlike torrents, though (and this is basically the same legal standing that siteless trackers and hosting torrents gets by), MIDs are globally unique, and yanking them gets them pulled from everywhere. It's not that they don't eventually get DMCAed anyway, it's just about making it more difficult. And yes, they can roll their own indexers. But this is still a barrier to discovery.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

NickPancakes posted:

Speaking of, NewsgroupDirect, a Highwinds reseller, has a good deal going right now: http://newsgroupdirect.com/deal-of-the-week

$60 for a 2TB Block account.

Just bought this and then found out I've been getting free astraweb for like two years now. Oh well, good for a backup. I think I'm set for usenet for life now.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Different point: What is the best value for money, non-poo poo, usenet server around these days? I've been on the $96 yearly unlimited astraweb thing for about two years, and I'm probably gonna renew it soon, unless there are any better alternatives?

I swear by Tweaknews

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm trying to get SABNzbd to run as a service on my windows server 2012 installation. I've looked at a couple of guides and they don't seem to work. I have the newest version of SABNzbd installed (just built this server today). Anyone have any idea how to do this?

My SABnzbd is currently installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd path.

Thanks!

Edit: This is what i try to do:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd> SABnzbd-service.exe -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd" install

This is the error which i'm getting, which makes no sense because i'm in the SABnzbd directory and the SABnzbd-service.exe executable file is there!:

SABnzbd-service.exe : The term 'SABnzbd-service.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file,
or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and
try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ SABnzbd-service.exe -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd" install
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (SABnzbd-service.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 8, 2014

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
It looks like you're running it through powershell, switch to command prompt and see if it runs there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Hey for some reason, whenever sickbeard snatches a TV show off usenet, it copies the episode into the show name folder, but leaves the original download outside in the root folder, does anyone know why and how i can fix this?

Ashex posted:

It looks like you're running it through powershell, switch to command prompt and see if it runs there.

Yeah, seems like a pain in the butt to setup, i just setup a task instead, thanks.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

Hey for some reason, whenever sickbeard snatches a TV show off usenet, it copies the episode into the show name folder, but leaves the original download outside in the root folder, does anyone know why and how i can fix this?

Uncheck "Keep Original Files" in Post-Processing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Sub Rosa posted:

Uncheck "Keep Original Files" in Post-Processing.

Ugh, so many things to tick off, of course i miss the most obvious one, thanks!

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
I wasn't really clear what this thing is from the OP and when I tried googling it really didn't offer much information other then the technical stuff of how it works... but what exactly IS this? Is it like limewire? or is it more like a forum that you get to through its own launchers... I'm just not sure if it be worth my efforts of setting it up when I'm not really clear of what it is. IF anyone has some screen shots of it that would probably help me understand a lot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I wasn't really clear what this thing is from the OP and when I tried googling it really didn't offer much information other then the technical stuff of how it works... but what exactly IS this? Is it like limewire? or is it more like a forum that you get to through its own launchers... I'm just not sure if it be worth my efforts of setting it up when I'm not really clear of what it is. IF anyone has some screen shots of it that would probably help me understand a lot.

Technically speaking, it's basically like using a direct download server like Rapidshare or Mediafire or Megaupload, but instead of downloading a few large files, you download dozens to hundreds of small files which are then reassembled.

In practice, it's basically torrenting. You send a file to a program which does a thing and blammo, files.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Technically speaking, it's basically like using a direct download server like Rapidshare or Mediafire or Megaupload, but instead of downloading a few large files, you download dozens to hundreds of small files which are then reassembled.

In practice, it's basically torrenting. You send a file to a program which does a thing and blammo, files.

Just like torrenting except you need to pay for access to the server which stores the data you want, and files get taken down regularly, so you should really pay for access to a couple. And then you will most likely need to pay for an indexing site which allows you to easily search for things to download.

This sounds terrible but you get: super fast speeds, high quality releases and potentially less legal danger, since you are only downloading and not sharing.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

DashingGentleman posted:

Just like torrenting except you need to pay for access to the server which stores the data you want, and files get taken down regularly, so you should really pay for access to a couple. And then you will most likely need to pay for an indexing site which allows you to easily search for things to download.

This sounds terrible but you get: super fast speeds, high quality releases and potentially less legal danger, since you are only downloading and not sharing.

Even then to get the same experience as usenet, you have to rent a seedbox and also have access to the private sites only with much more strict rules.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Tuxedo Mask posted:

IF anyone has some screen shots of it that would probably help me understand a lot.
Really? Jeez, come on, man...

Google "sabnzbd screenshots"

https://www.google.com/#q=sabnzbd+screenshots

It's like magic, this internet thing.

Seriously, if that's your level of effort, I cannot recommend strongly enough against your pursuing this.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Honestly, now is the worst time to get into Usenet. About 5 years ago the search engines weren't great, but files stayed around for a good long while.

Now all of the good NZB indexers are fly by night sites that take your money and shut down within relatively short order, files get DMCAed within hours of being posted, people post pass worded poo poo or file name encoded poo poo. Honestly, the only benefit is that Usenet is cheaper now than it used to be, which actually makes sense given that it's harder to effectively use.

It's still the best option out there though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I don't know about that, after newzbin closed there was a bad period, but the two indexers I use most dog+nzbs have been up for quite a while.

Personally for me usenet is much better then it used to be due to sabnzbd and all of the automation programs. Movies get added to my imdb wishlist and as soon as they are indexed I will have the file in a short amount of time. It sucks when files get DMCA'd but convenience wins out for me.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I wouldn't say it's terrible to get into now. The indexer situation isn't as dire as it seems. There's a thread over in coupons and deals for invites to nzb.su. Saying that's the only invite indexer you have, you could still set up sick beard to use it, it's own indexer and Wombie's which both are free. As for stuff being taken down you could get a block account from block news, tweak news or such which I believe have been recommended here before. Just takes some time to get everything set up how you want it. Afterwords it's pretty reliable on it's own.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Whiteycar posted:

Yup, right when I was considering renewing VIP. Meh

Is it worth it? Over/Under on your credit card info being stolen?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Just buy a refillable debit card, jeez.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Are TV shows suddenly failing for everyone now? Ever since a week ago new shows are DOA, downloads at like 400b/s before failing (out of retention). I thought it might be an indexer problem since nzb.su has been taking the poo poo recently, but I tried using OZnzb and same issue.

Using Sick Beard + SABNZBD with Supernews and Womble/SB/nzb.su/OZnzb as indexers. Perhaps Supernews (and presumably all Astraweb resellers) have started DMCAing everything instantly?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Are TV shows suddenly failing for everyone now? Ever since a week ago new shows are DOA, downloads at like 400b/s before failing (out of retention). I thought it might be an indexer problem since nzb.su has been taking the poo poo recently, but I tried using OZnzb and same issue.

Using Sick Beard + SABNZBD with Supernews and Womble/SB/nzb.su/OZnzb as indexers. Perhaps Supernews (and presumably all Astraweb resellers) have started DMCAing everything instantly?

I have not had any failures in the past few weeks on Astraweb with blocknews and tweaknews backup accounts. Also Supernews is Giganews I think.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Supernews + Blocknews continues working fine for me but its chewing through my Blocknews fill at a very fast pace. At this rate I'll probably be better off just getting 1TB of Blocknews by itself.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm fine as well. Same setup as above. My block account has used up 7gigs this month but I've downloaded 80gigs worth of stuff this month.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Just buy a refillable debit card, jeez.

Better yet, don't buy a refillable one, just buy a prepaid card, like Vanilla Visa or something along those lines. Most (if not all) of the refillable ones have a monthly fee. With Vanilla, it's just a one-time $4.95 activation fee. The cards I've purchased in the past don't expire until 2020, so you have plenty of time to use them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My Citi credit card has a feature that lets me generate one time use credit card numbers with a dollar limit. I think Discover and some other banks have this as well. I generate a CC that's good for one month with a 10 dollar limit and renew with that. I don't even care if they steal that number, it's useless.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

ClassH posted:

I have not had any failures in the past few weeks on Astraweb with blocknews and tweaknews backup accounts. Also Supernews is Giganews I think.

The Gunslinger posted:

Supernews + Blocknews continues working fine for me but its chewing through my Blocknews fill at a very fast pace. At this rate I'll probably be better off just getting 1TB of Blocknews by itself.

Ah yes I meant Giga. You guys just reminded me I have a Blocknews account which I've just added back into SAB, everything's downloading at a hundred per cent now but I'm thinking I should just dump Supernews (out of 5 shows this week, 1 downloaded 4 failed). Any good preferably EU recs?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Ah yes I meant Giga. You guys just reminded me I have a Blocknews account which I've just added back into SAB, everything's downloading at a hundred per cent now but I'm thinking I should just dump Supernews (out of 5 shows this week, 1 downloaded 4 failed). Any good preferably EU recs?

I've had no trouble with Newsdemon (Highwinds) and a Tweaknews block backup, but I think I'd be better off with just Tweaknews to be honest.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is it possible to use the free level of AWS for running a private version of newznab or would I be better off going with a different VPS provider? I'm only going to be using it for Couchpotato and Sickbeard so the bandwidth used should be relatively low.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

diremonk posted:

Is it possible to use the free level of AWS for running a private version of newznab or would I be better off going with a different VPS provider? I'm only going to be using it for Couchpotato and Sickbeard so the bandwidth used should be relatively low.

No, it's not the bandwidth connecting to it that kills you, it's the pulling of fresh nzbs from Usenet.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm new to using SABnzbd and usenet in general and I've signed up for a few provider trials to test out the individual retentions. I take it that if I add a bunch of servers to SABnzbd and one provider delivers incomplete results, SABnzbd will automatically try another sever in the list to complete the file?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It will try all of your normal servers, and then will try your servers set as Backup.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Untagged posted:

Is it worth it? Over/Under on your credit card info being stolen?

Not really, if you can get DOGnzb it's a lot quicker to post so 95% of my sick beard and couch potato pulls were coming from there anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Are there any deals available for buying blocks? I've finally come to the end of the 110GB I bought a couple of years ago.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Are there any deals available for buying blocks? I've finally come to the end of the 110GB I bought a couple of years ago.

If you sign up for the Tweaknews trial (no payment info required) and let it run out they will offer you a 250GB block for 11 Euros at the end of it. I've had really good luck using Tweaknews and Blocknews as fill servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks.