Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What kind of name is "Unscripted" for a wrestling show anyway? Was there some sort of gimmick to the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

it was a shoot, brother

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
triplexpac's got the scoop!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Didn't Aries and Strong get stuck at an ROH show due to a blizzard and miss a TNA PPV?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How come Ric Flair's forehead doesn't look like he combs his hair with a lawnmower? I'm sure some guys practiced better aftercare on their bladejobs than others, but he's infamously continued to do bloody matches into his 60s and his head looks basically fine.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

How come Ric Flair's forehead doesn't look like he combs his hair with a lawnmower? I'm sure some guys practiced better aftercare on their bladejobs than others, but he's infamously continued to do bloody matches into his 60s and his head looks basically fine.

Dusty Rhodes on the other hand, should never appear on TV in HD ever. His forehead looks like spaghetti. :barf:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

I assumed he'd had plastic surgery. His face changed drastically between 2002 and 2004.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't recall Foley's head really being that much of a mess either (well, physically).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know Jericho didn't like blading and preferred blood capsules, did anyone else?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I don't recall Foley's head really being that much of a mess either (well, physically).

There's like three square inches of Foley's head that aren't covered in hair.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know Jericho didn't like blading and preferred blood capsules, did anyone else?

Shamrock always did that so that scar tissue wouldn't be an issue with his fighting career.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

fatherdog posted:

There's like three square inches of Foley's head that aren't covered in hair.

There was that period where he had the awful short haircut.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

I assumed he'd had plastic surgery. His face changed drastically between 2002 and 2004.

Flair looked/moved like Flair until the end of 2002, then he came back looking like a train hit him.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

triplexpac posted:

What kind of name is "Unscripted" for a wrestling show anyway? Was there some sort of gimmick to the event?

The gimmick was "half of hour roster is stuck in a blizzard somewhere so we throw the script out the window and just make up matches as the wrestlers arrive to the building".

Which is quite different than the "Half of our roster is stuck in Europe due to a volcano so we'll focus the entire show on dumb McGruber skits" method the WWE uses for extreme circumstances.

Oh, and on the topic of disgusting foreheads, Devon has to be up there in the running for most disgusting forehead alongside Dusty. Easy to tell that when it came to the Dudleys bleeding, 99& of the time it was Devon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Didn't Aries and Strong get stuck at an ROH show due to a blizzard and miss a TNA PPV?

They didn't miss the TNA ppv but TNA was still pissy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Flair looked/moved like Flair until the end of 2002, then he came back looking like a train hit him.
Wasn't that right about the time he had to seek treatment for alcoholic cardiomyopathy? (He now claims that was a misdiagnosis, but it must have been some kind of cardivascular problem.)

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If I remember right, the impact from the fall wasn't what knocked Mick out during that match (though I'm sure it hurt like a son of a bitch), but rather the chair that was up there falling afterward and landing on his face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Question that comes to mind riffing on this tweet:

Apart from that one time the Iceland volcanic event stranded part of the WWE roster in Europe, what are some notable cases of inclement weather or other delays causing major problems for wrestling events? Even assuming you have a few days to get people where they need to be, have there been cases where everybody gets snowed in and you have to rebook on the fly?

Chikara's 2011 Young Lions Cup tournament was suppposed to last the weekend as a two or three day show. Due to a blizzard it became a lengthy single-day show instead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

I think he preferred to blade on his scalp so his hair would cover any scars in the future. There are others like Triple H who appear to have done the same considering how his forehead looks fine as well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think he preferred to blade on his scalp so his hair would cover any scars in the future. There are others like Triple H who appear to have done the same considering how his forehead looks fine as well.

Yeah, I remember Flair's bloodiest spots being in stark contrast to his platinum blond hair, so my assumption was that he bladed above the hairline. I can vividly picture a big red stain turning big spots of his hair bright red.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

There was that period where he had the awful short haircut.

I'm not kidding when I say that's one of the best haircuts he ever had, and not just by comparison. You ever see him on Wife Swap. Mick's never had luck with his hair. He really should keep it short.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He actually looks like a normal person with short hair.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
In non kayfabe reasons, why did the mitb winners win? (Like what were the intentions for Sandow, ADR, Orton, etc.)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

In non kayfabe reasons, why did the mitb winners win? (Like what were the intentions for Sandow, ADR, Orton, etc.)

so they could get a title shot and either win or lose that title shot. If they won the title, that would probably lead into a story. If not, then same. Except for Sandow, that just seemed to be so he could feud with Cody.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

At first it was for the same reason why KOTR existed: to give an aggressive push to an upper-midcarder with the guarantee of a title and a main-event spot. Lately, though, the briefcase has been used for storylines for dudes already in the world title picture simply to give them a shot and nothing more (Sandow was a really odd case because he wasn't in the world title hunt and got the briefcase just to furthur a feud with Cody).

Only WWE could tell you what were the plans for each individual MITB winner in terms of story and title shots.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
So when one of the Twilight movies came out, Matt Striker said on commentary “He thinks those Twilight kids look like Sir Oliver Humperdink” and a few minutes later “Listen, a lot of things are unexplained, eleven years between Toy Story sequels, yet seven months between Twilight movies, so I guess time goes on, so does evolution”.

A few months earlier he also said "In the twilight of a new moon a seemingly supernatural phenom is among us” during an Undertaker match.

Now, two of those lines barely make sense, but at least the first ones are telling you there's a movie out you should probably go see.

The second one, though, is just really weird and cryptic and sticks out like a sore thumb. What I'm wondering is did the Twilight studio (Summit, I think) pay WWE to advertise it in this manner? Wouldn't it have been better if they just sponsored the episode outright?

This has stuck with me for years.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

magnum_valentino posted:

So when one of the Twilight movies came out, Matt Striker said on commentary “He thinks those Twilight kids look like Sir Oliver Humperdink” and a few minutes later “Listen, a lot of things are unexplained, eleven years between Toy Story sequels, yet seven months between Twilight movies, so I guess time goes on, so does evolution”.

A few months earlier he also said "In the twilight of a new moon a seemingly supernatural phenom is among us” during an Undertaker match.

Now, two of those lines barely make sense, but at least the first ones are telling you there's a movie out you should probably go see.

The second one, though, is just really weird and cryptic and sticks out like a sore thumb. What I'm wondering is did the Twilight studio (Summit, I think) pay WWE to advertise it in this manner? Wouldn't it have been better if they just sponsored the episode outright?

This has stuck with me for years.

Matt Striker is a dumb idiot and is just bad at commentary

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YOSHI TATSU, THE NEON GENESIS EVANGELION...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Striker is just a massive dork. He brought up poo poo like Twilight and Daken (Wolverine's bisexual son with super-daterape powers) on commentary all the time

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

magnum_valentino posted:

...but at least the first ones are telling you there's a movie out you should probably go see.

The second one is making GBS threads on Twilight, here. So.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILt_4gWD0DA

This is a fantastic PWG match ending. Does anyone know where/when it's from?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

sticklefifer posted:

Kurt Russellreunion I. Also had a great Generico vs. Liger match on it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Kurt Russellreunion

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

Chikara's 2011 Young Lions Cup tournament was suppposed to last the weekend as a two or three day show. Due to a blizzard it became a lengthy single-day show instead.

It was a hurricane that weekend. There was a blizzard for another show earlier in the year.

In both cases, Chikara had originally planned to do a Rumble-esque "Countdown Showdown" match and had to cancel it due to the travel issues.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

oatgan posted:

Kurt Russellreunion

I read this post three times.

... what?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

I read this post three times.

... what?

It was originally Kurt RussellMania, but WWE threatened suit and they changed it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

It was originally Kurt RussellMania, but WWE threatened suit and they changed it

Ohhhhh, I get jokes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What's the story behind Bagwell/Steiner at Slamboree '99 where Scott Steiner beats the poo poo out of Bagwell?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the story behind Bagwell/Steiner at Slamboree '99 where Scott Steiner beats the poo poo out of Bagwell?

Well once upon a time Scott Steiner is a dangerous lunatic. Whether there was another more specific cause I don't know but that was the main influence.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Well once upon a time Scott Steiner is a dangerous lunatic. Whether there was another more specific cause I don't know but that was the main influence.

I read something about it being Bagwell cutting a promo about him on Nitro and Steiner's steroid-addled brain taking it seriously so I'll just settle with "Scott Steiner is a dangerous lunatic."

e: And in the process of googling I came across this 1999 Angelfire Scott Steiner fan site with up-to-the minute updates on Scott Steiner!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

magnum_valentino posted:

So when one of the Twilight movies came out, Matt Striker said on commentary [edited for brevity]

There was an article in maybe the main WWE thread a couple of days ago where Edge was talking about his musical tastes and he said something about Striker dropping in album names and things from certain bands as a sort of injoke/competition. This is probably another case of that.