Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's because in TV and movies they rarely show something as mundane as pizza delivery unless it's important. So when they devote several lines of dialogue to talking about said pizza delivery, the trained response is "oh poo poo something is up with this pizza!"

This episode had another good example of this with the scene with the guy whose car blew up. When they finished talking to him, instead of just vanishing from camera like characters usually do when their scene is over, he stayed in the shot as they walked away. That triggered the response in me: "oh poo poo something is up with this guy!" And then he blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010
Kinda disappointed that they didn't do more with the Demographics division. At least give it a couple of episodes before revealing that the head is dirty cop.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Well there is an opening at the top of the Demo unit. If they want to revisit it later they could promote Gregson there and have Sherlock follow.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I like this season a lot, but I feel like season 1 was stronger. I don't really see what ties any of these episodes together other than some hints about Mycroft is plotting something fishing.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Snipee posted:

I like this season a lot, but I feel like season 1 was stronger. I don't really see what ties any of these episodes together other than some hints about Mycroft is plotting something fishing.

There wasn't a massive serialized thread through the first Season. When they do arcs, it really matters and I don't get frustrated with the inclusion of filler before pay-off. I prefer this, to be honest. It feels more organic and allows them to focus on smaller multi-episode plots like the Demographics group that aren't earth-shattering like the Adler/Moriarty arc was in the first.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This isn't a serialized show and it probably won't ever be. The focus will always be case of the week.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I am really bummed that there won't be another episode until the end of the month.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Me too. Have some Clyde the Tortoise!

The whole gang!

let me know if this one is too big, I can't tell on my tablet

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I've just watched my first episode of Sherlock on PBS. Thus far I have learn that I was correct in one supposition I had made.

There is, in fact, more sexual tension between Sherlock and John Watson in Sherlock than there is Joan Watson and Sherlock on Elementary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

johntfs posted:

I've just watched my first episode of Sherlock on PBS. Thus far I have learn that I was correct in one supposition I had made.

There is, in fact, more sexual tension between Sherlock and John Watson in Sherlock than there is Joan Watson and Sherlock on Elementary.

You should see how much it's played for laughs later on. Mrs Hudson pretty much assumes they're gay. (Mind you, she is a former stripper who was married to a drug dealer, so take that for what it's worth.)

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
New Episode tonight

Dead Clade Walking

Joan discovers an unsolved murder connected to a rare prehistoric fossil.

For awhile I kept reading the title as "Dead Clyde Walking" and was getting very concerned.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

johntfs posted:

For awhile I kept reading the title as "Dead Clyde Walking" and was getting very concerned.
They wouldn't dare!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They have embraced the fan-love of Clyde whole hog.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paleontological mysteries are the best mysteries.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone loves dinosaurs. They know this.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
tickling was banned by the Geneva convention as crimes against dignity

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pick posted:

Everyone loves dinosaurs. They know this.

I was so certain Sherlock swiped the real one and replaced it with a fake. He wanted that fossil so bad. At least he got the remains(dust).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mneeeh this episode had a poor understanding of how fossils work. But oh well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Mneeeh this episode had a poor understanding of how fossils work. But oh well.

Yeeeah...

I was also bothered by the "Triboro" Museum of Natural History but I guess there's some reason they couldn't use the real one's name.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, I've never heard dead clade walking in reference to dinosaurs, and normally it's just people arguing over timeline revisions. Even with the meteor strike no one thinks all dinosaurs died that week.

Anyway, the bone fragments with the matrix is just as good, you definitely don't need a complete skeleton when you're just confirming age, but even if it were required they have evidence in the form of the scan from earlier combined with the rubble.

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 31, 2014

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Given how many times I was side-eyeing the science, I'd hate to have more of a paleo background and watch this episode.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The dinosaur thing was a really cool framing device for one the cold cases, I gotta say. Might not hold up to any real scrutiny, but I'm not exactly into archaeology or its ilk so I didn't really notice. As an introduction to the kind of stuff we might see down the line, it worked remarkably well and got me interested to see what future ones might have in store.

Shame that with the "biggest smuggler in the city" thing, they didn't have a callback to Arnold Vosloo's guy from the season 1 finale. Even a mention in the "well it used to be..." sense, would've worked but nothing.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The case of the week was interesting, but I really loved the subplot with Sherlock working with Randy. It really shows how far Sherlock has come that he worked so hard with Randy.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dragonatrix posted:

The dinosaur thing was a really cool framing device for one the cold cases, I gotta say. Might not hold up to any real scrutiny, but I'm not exactly into archaeology or its ilk so I didn't really notice. As an introduction to the kind of stuff we might see down the line, it worked remarkably well and got me interested to see what future ones might have in store.

Shame that with the "biggest smuggler in the city" thing, they didn't have a callback to Arnold Vosloo's guy from the season 1 finale. Even a mention in the "well it used to be..." sense, would've worked but nothing.

I like that the cold case played out kind of like I predicted earlier. Joan didn't solve the case, but she did find a decent opening that warranted Sherlock taking another look at it from a different direction.

As for Vosloo's character, he's dead. Sherlock's very forward/relevant thinking. He doesn't care who used to be the biggest, just who's the biggest right now. Presumably when smuggling comes up again he's not going to mention the Magpie either unless it happens to be relevant to his current case ("Such and so is rumored to be the heir of the Magpie").

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Annakie posted:

The case of the week was interesting, but I really loved the subplot with Sherlock working with Randy. It really shows how far Sherlock has come that he worked so hard with Randy.

I agree! Caught up with the episode tonight with a friend. We really enjoyed those bits.

(The skull shall live for another day thank god.)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Compendium posted:

I agree! Caught up with the episode tonight with a friend. We really enjoyed those bits.

(The skull shall live for another day thank god.)

I liked that while Sherlock was trying all episode to practice the art of releasing demons from the skull via drill and failing, it was because he was distracted by someone with real demons and helped him work on overcoming them. :3:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

As somebody who has been on archaeology digs (admittedly not dinosaur related ones), I just... :negative:

It's not like most or even a lot of bones come out of the ground intact. Just because they're broken doesn't mean you give them away to random rear end in a top hat detectives. Even fragments are useful, and they would be even if they hadn't had a scan showing exactly what it looked like before it was broken.

I'm gonna pretend they gave Sherlock a box of garden rocks with a note saying "No loving way bro" and he just didn't get a chance to open it and find out yet.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CuwiKhons posted:

As somebody who has been on archaeology digs (admittedly not dinosaur related ones), I just... :negative:

Well hey, I can point out all the things wrong with what they did with P vs NP, but let's not be pedantic about it. It's still a show structured around a procedural concept and they have to try to pick interesting stories and then embellish upon them beyond reason. That's par for the course. The interesting stuff and most entertaining stuff is rarely in the cases. I think the best way to enjoy the show is to turn your brain off when the case of the week comes on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't be gun nerds, dirt nerds.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, and I was madder about the bee hybridization anyway :colbert:.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We got a payoff for that at least. He named a bee after her! :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ashpanash posted:

Well hey, I can point out all the things wrong with what they did with P vs NP, but let's not be pedantic about it. It's still a show structured around a procedural concept and they have to try to pick interesting stories and then embellish upon them beyond reason. That's par for the course. The interesting stuff and most entertaining stuff is rarely in the cases. I think the best way to enjoy the show is to turn your brain off when the case of the week comes on.

It didn't actually bother me while I was watching it, it was only at the very end when they gave Sherlock the remnants that the entire thing suddenly unraveled in my brain.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

CuwiKhons posted:

It didn't actually bother me while I was watching it, it was only at the very end when they gave Sherlock the remnants that the entire thing suddenly unraveled in my brain.

I believe they said it was literally only dust left. The bones were ground down into nothing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I thought that the murderer would be C on the basis that she was an interesting character introduced in this episode. She fit the profile.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

This made me laugh because I had a TA two years ago who was so excited about her experiences and future career as an archaeologist, and you made me think her.

I'm glad that there are nerds (I say this as a compliment) to fact check this show. I pretty much go to this thread specifically for that reason.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Paging dance nerds to this thread!

:siren:New Episode Tonight:siren: (I think, the tv calendar site I use is sort of messed up)

CORPSE DE BALLET

Holmes' latest investigation takes him inside a professional dance company when an up-and-coming ballerina is murdered. Meanwhile, Watson embarks on a solo enquiry to find a homeless veteran when his friend alleges he was abducted.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
OK, maybe I've seen too many ballet recitals, but those dancers look way too heavy for pros. Ballet girls are really skinny (and generally boob-less).

ETA: come to think of it, it's probably because the guest star would really look out of place as a prima ballerina if they picked the right body type for the rest.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 7, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Woo Bell is back! :woop:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
As likely as me wanting to kill the world's second greatest detective. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Lucy's expression there. Kind of a silent "Oh, poo poo, Sherlock."

• Locked thread