Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A little sad that buffs don't give you a ton of XP anymore. You are wasting your turn for them, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 21: And we never heard from Penn again

We hurried here, but the town has already been turned upside down by the Baersol army. We can't do anything until the west gate opens. However, we'd better be well rested. We may have to engage in battle at any time.

Welcome to Storich! The place is a little beat up, but it'll live. This is never made explicit, but it's a stop for the giant steam train. However, all the commoners live on this side of town, and the nice side that gets all the commerce from the train is locked off by orders from Saraband. Bunch of rich jerks. :argh:

There's this thing too.

A new character! How nice!

Or maybe not. We'll see you in two chapters, Penn.

Let's just clear all this nonsense out of the way first.

:v: Everything seems to be related. I wonder what the real purpose behind all this is, and who is calling the shots.

:j: That's why the town didn't sustain much damage. If you'd come just a little bit later, the whole town could have been wiped out.

So it looks like this was a diversion the whole time, to get Synbios' army out of Aspia and away from Flagard. Why? :iiam:

Since we have no idea what's going on, somebody in the bar is going to tip us off.

:v: Hmm, there is a passage through the volcanic mountain. There's a cave southeast of here. It's supposed to lead to Flagard. It's very dangerous, but if you need to get there, it may be worth exploring.

Okay, to the southeast it is!

No character will want to use this yet, but I'm popping it in the deals section now, in case we use that character later. Otherwise, at the weapons store we pick up new weapons for Synbios, Kahn, and Dantares. There's also another loincloth in the deals section of the item shop, but we don't need that nonsense.

The Baersol battalion has changed tactics! Last time we saw them, they were guarding the south gate.

They are trying to prevent us from getting to the passage. They were just a decoy after all.

Stand aside, traitors!

What? Even General Fafhard has betrayed Aspia!

:hist101: Who are the real traitors, Dantares? It is Benetram and Conrad who turned against the spirit of the Republic! How can the already poverty stricken Aspia continue to send aid to other regions when it has had such a string of meager harvests?!

What are you saying? With Aspia's aid, many territories have been able to avoid severe famine.

:hist101: So as long as we of the Republic are spared famine, we should remain silent and allow our leaders to exploit us? Do you suggest we turn our backs on the very ideals which drove us away from the Empire?

What the hell are you implying?!

:hist101: If Conrad and Benetram can afford to give such aid, it's clear they have hidden a fortune from the people!

If that is your belief, gather lords from each territory, and present your grievances to the Assembly!

:hist101: The lords are greedy, they would never turn against those who keep their pockets lined with gold. It's no use talking. Turn back. You will never reach Flagard in time. This Baersol army battalion will smash you into pieces!

Everyone! Kill the traitors!

This is some sort of mistake. Let us catch up to Fafhard so we can clear up this misunderstanding.

This is a pretty sparse map with nearly all returning enemies. In the desert there's a hydra and a hell hound to the west, three Baersol soldiers to the north, and two more hell hounds to the east.

This little posse is the boss's squad at the opposite corner. Nothing new except these guys:

Finally, swords are going to get some use.

First order of business: Bum rush the two enemies that start right next to you. If we were to train up Penn, it would be an exercise in leashing these enemies onto Synbios, and having that stupid egg-bird chipping away at them. That takes forever and I'm not doing it.

Once the hydra and hell hound are cleared out, you move over to the right, and there's these guys. And that's it. Strangely enough, there's no ambushes on this map, despite the low number of enemies.

This takes care of things pretty quickly.

The boss's squad tends to get aggressive before he does. Blaze 3 hurts, but enemies tend to have really low base affinities. If it were Masqurin doing it, my party would be at death's door already.

Things get a little clusterfucky, but there's a reason for that. I need to clear out everything but the boss so I can hit up the ruins in this map.

There, much better. There were a pair of wing knights somewhere too, but they're so weak I forgot to screencap accidentally killing them.

The boss has two special attacks of his one. The first is Regret Hit, which we saw from Abdark last chapter and reduces your HP to 1. The other right here is something I've already forgotten the name of, but it does bonus damage and paralyzes its target. The boss will be doing it quite a few times to Synbios, but he has a squad of healers stapled to his every side.

Further down to the south is this little thing. What treasures could it possibly hold? Time to find out!

I'll save you guys approximately 100 failed screenshots here, as it took me several tries to actually get all the treasure out of this one. My main problem:

Basically, Dantares and Cybel both use weapons that are strong against swords. Even if I intentionally tank their attack power with a spear (which not only have lower power but also cause them to lose weapon rank bonuses), they kill the thief in two or three hits. There's four treasures in here, so we need to be able to hit the thief four times without letting him escape. Hence why I'm bringing along Masqurin and Noon – they should be able to beat on the thief without doing too much damage.

First step is to dump a shitload of people into the ruins. At the bare minimum, a team of Dantares, Cybel, Masqurin/Noon, and Eldar should work, but I threw in both mages and Hayward for good measure because I was getting really tired of doing this repeatedly.

This is the map in its entirety. There's quite a few enemies blocking the way, and naturally all the chests are on the opposite end. The thief AI is programmed not to take full movement every turn, so this is entirely possible to pull off. Especially since in the top-right corner of the second image is the exit, which is also an easily blocked corridor.

Dantares charges right into the hydra and hell hound, and Eldar keeps him alive with a potion. Unfortunately, that's all I had on hand, otherwise I would have used a healing drop.

It only takes a few turns for the thief to make a run of most of the ruins. The first three items are a small mithril, a potion, and a large mithril. All nice stuff, but I wouldn't be so neurotic about a 100% completion if this were it. The fourth item is what we really want.

After all the enemies are taken care of (there were a pair of vampire bats that Hayward sniped), Cybel makes sure that this thief is here to stay.

Meanwhile, outside the boss keeps hammering away at Synbios' skull while Grace, Irene, and Kahn are at hand to make sure he doesn't suffer a concussion.

One thing to beware is that if the RNG gets really fussy, Synbios might counter quite a few times and accidentally kill the boss while you're dicking around in the ruins. That will end the map, which incidentally did happen to me once.

Next turn, the thief gets what we've been after all along.

There's also some barrels scattered around. Another one that Hayward broke contains an angel wing, but who cares about those. Goddess tears are always welcome, though.

With no exit, the thief AI opts to try to kill somebody instead. Since Masqurin has the life ring and is therefore regenerating 2 HP a turn, she's going to die in 3 turns rather than 2, which is just enough time.

Two down, two to go. Oh yeah, and:

:getin:

:ughh:

Naturally, Masqurin criticals when I absolutely need her not to, and the heat axe is lost forever. Or it would be if I hadn't made a save state right when Cybel blocked the exit. A bit of rewinding and we return to the Masqurin and Noon beatdown hour, where they re-earn their rank 3 support.

May as well give this rank 3 support a shot.

That's actually quite disappointing. I'm going to guess that the thief has high lightning resistance, something I've never had the chance to test before. Well, it got the job done.

:hellyeah:

And with the ruins done, all there is left is to beat down the boss. Yes, all that damage was from Synbios' counters. He did over half the boss's HP while we were snagging everything from the ruins.

Synbios gets a little revenge for being a punching bag for so long.

Oh hey, a bomb weapon for Horst too!

:hist101: You must be planning to enter the caves, but the dragon insde will make a quick meal of you! -cough- Republican ideology will endure! The ruler cannot own the land... or the people will suffer... ugh....

His actions were motivated by the loyalty to the spirit of the Republic.

First Edmund, now Fafhard... Does everyone see the Republic so differently?

One man's perspective on justice is not always the absolute justice for all. Could his conclusions be true? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. We have a long way to go.

Oh, hi interrupting bit character.

You guys must be quite a rough bunch. This is a perfect opportunity for me to try out this machine! It breaks down sometimes, I need someone strong to watch my back. So I think I'll join you. Don't worry about me. With this armor, I won't hold you back. Now, let's forge onward!

Well, that was a cute diversion.

The revenge mace and the heat axe find their proper homes, and holy poo poo are they welcome there. For reference, the next highest attack on the team would be Synbios around 44. :getin:

And as a last order of business, we have a new character! Ratchet here is nothing like his spiritual ancestor Guntz. He's a hybrid character, with one of his weapons being melee and the other being ranged. He's got a decent bit of defense for an archer, but is kind of slow and will never match Hayward's attack. It is worth noting, however, that with Julian gone, Ratchet is the only character other than Synbios who will have the coveted ATTACK UP support.

:siren: VOTE ON WHO YOU WANT TO GET BENCHED :siren:

Don't bother mentioning Penn because he's not a real character.

NEXT TIME: Punching dragons means friendship!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 7, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Bench Kahn for his screwup with the orb.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Do you have a running pimento to give Ratchet? Otherwise bench him because by the time he gets to the fighting it'll be over.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bench Dantares, put in Ratchet. I'd say Penn but you've already outlawed the correct option.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

And as a last order of business, we have a new character! Ratchet here is nothing like his spiritual ancestor Guntz. He's a hybrid character, with one of his weapons being melee and the other being ranged. He's got a decent bit of defense for an archer, but is kind of slow and will never match Hayward's attack.

Why are we even CONSIDERING this poo poo? Staple him to the bench right next to Penn. :colbert:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
There is a running pimento, but we won't get it until chapter 5, three battles from now. However, his MOV is a normal 5, unlike Guntz's horrific 4.

It's also worth noting that Ratchet has the ATTACK UP support, which is pretty drat valuable.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Cybel should hit the bench because this isn't Shining Force 1 and therefore we don't need a bunch of centaurs everywhere.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Bench Kahn for his screwup with the orb.

This. Kahn has a silly hat and it's only gotten worse since promotion. Plus you already have two healers anyway.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

inthesto posted:

There is a running pimento, but we won't get it until chapter 5, three battles from now. However, his MOV is a normal 5, unlike Guntz's horrific 4.

It's also worth noting that Ratchet has the ATTACK UP support, which is pretty drat valuable.

Also also worth noting: his voice clips are pretty amusing sometimes.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
You should just use the Save Editor to give yourself 20 Brave Apples for Penn, the Best Character. :colbert:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Eh. I still say ditch Horst.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I'm going to go the dick route and say Bench Grace. Didn't Penn also give attack up for his or was he luck up?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Losem posted:

I'm going to go the dick route and say Bench Grace. Didn't Penn also give attack up for his or was he luck up?

Penn is luck up. Very useful when trying to not get hit by status effects, but not quite useful enough to make him worth build up outside a gimick run.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
Bench Kahn - he messed up bad and deserves some time to reflect on the bench...

With a Dunce cap ideally.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I've just realized the the thread doesn't know the best reason for keeping Kahn on the force.

One of his voice clips is "You don't learn, do you?"

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So quick question would anyone been interested in watching this streamed? I went out a bought a bunch of stuff with the intentions of streaming Dark Souls for my friends to laugh at me but it ended up being to easy so I didn't. I went through all that effort of learning and tweaking the settings so I might as well put it to some use. If there is any interest I wouldn't mind doing it, but I won't go past the LP.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Losem posted:

So quick question would anyone been interested in watching this streamed? I went out a bought a bunch of stuff with the intentions of streaming Dark Souls for my friends to laugh at me but it ended up being to easy so I didn't. I went through all that effort of learning and tweaking the settings so I might as well put it to some use. If there is any interest I wouldn't mind doing it, but I won't go past the LP.

Yes, with the caveat that you gotta be interacting with the chat in some fashion (voice or typing), and it might be good to try new characters or new character/weapon combinations, too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Losem posted:

Yes, with the caveat that you have to endure my heckling you the entire time.

(I'm quite :spergin: when it comes to strategy RPGs.)

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Okay I did a little testing and I'll run a bit tomorrow around 8 pm eastern. I've got a mic so I can interact with you guys and as soon as it matters I'll let you guys have say on the party. I'll link it when I start. Advice (heckling) is always welcomed. It will be a change for me, since I usually turtle up and wait for the enemies but in order to keep it entertaining for you guys I'll be more aggressive.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
http://www.twitch.tv/shazbahty okay going live with it right.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I thought all knights were hybrid characters, with the throwing spears. Or do you mean he's got 3-square range weapons like a real archer?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Glazius posted:

I thought all knights were hybrid characters, with the throwing spears. Or do you mean he's got 3-square range weapons like a real archer?

He can equip Anchors and Long Bows, I think the Anchor attacks are better looking (Gestalt :hellyeah:), but the bows have enough range that there's a better chance that something will be in his range when his turn comes up.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I used Ratchet in my last playthrough and he was decent. He has the range of an archer but better defense (ignore Hayward). He's not really to much of a liability because of his movement because the maps tend to have friendly terrain in the later game, not as much hills and forest as you're used to in a shining force game. The extra range from the longbow also helps make up for it. I'd definitely take him over Justin.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 22: So the next critical is Hyper Sentinel Force, right?

As the thread willed, Kahn lost the vote by a margin of one. While losing a healer and the support spell hurts, it doesn't hurt too much. As a trade-off, we get another archer who carries the ATK UP support, which is awesome. I just have to remember to farm it.

Anyways, time for the next fight.

People say this place resembles the bowels of hell, and seeing it makes that quite a bit more convincing.

Hey, what's going on with you two? You're always optimistic and cheerful. It is not like you to say such things.

It's just... This cavern is gross. Even so, I guess you're right, it's not like us.

We've just entered the cave. This is no time to be weak. Flagard is in grave danger.

Let's hurry on, Lord Synbios. However, proceed cautiously. We don't want to wake the dragon. Flagard is in danger as we speak. Time is precious! Even if you go alone, Lord Synbios, head to the exit of the cave!

As Dantares implies, killing all the enemies on this map is an optional objective. In order to complete it and move on, Synbios needs to get to the end of this relatively linear path. There's absolutely no new enemies on the map at the moment; it's all hell hounds and hydras who aren't dangerous anymore.

Basic layout of the map with a treasure chest off to the side that Eldar will grab.

First few turns are incredibly congested. I hate bottlenecked maps like this because the lower AGI characters always get choked out.

It's nice having a flying dowsing rod in the party.

I forgot that hell hounds have a special attack that paralyzes the target. All this accomplishes is wasting more of Grace's MP and my continued forgetting that I have way too many fairy powders lying around.

That heat axe is so sexy.

Ratchet's attack animation with the anchor. Yes, all he does is shoot is fist off, which mysteriously returns.

One of these guys shows up as an ambush after we pass a certain point. There's a number of them on the map, but they only show up depending on where you are geographically. In other words, they never hit you at an important point. Not that their stats are all that high either.

Cybel takes care of it in style.

yawn

Horst gains rank 2 in maces, which actually tips his attack stat over Obright's by 2 points. These weapons are making our dwarves beefy as hell.

When we reach the midpoint of the map, something happens. This isn't it.

A mini-boss and a bunch of cronies appear. Towards the middle and slightly to the left, you'll see a wyvern which is a normal enemy. At the bottom right is the baby dragon, which is an optional boss. I could kill it right now, but that would set off some triggers I don't want happening in disc 2. So we're just going to let it beat us up and otherwise ignore it.

Also, they're very easy.

Wyverns do look pretty cool and Masqurin picks up her next level of Blaze. :350:

Cybel is so god drat metal.

The power of the baby dragon's attack. Remember, Masqurin is still rocking a ring that gives +10 DEF, but this is still pathetic.

Ambush spawns continue to slow me down.

Remember, gaining ranks in mage/cleric weapons get you more spell power!

And Eldar decides that being a treasure hunter is more interesting than being a soldier.

The baby dragon also has a special attack that is capable of doing things. Poor Obright, he has a hard enough time building support levels as it is.

Two turns later, Eldar finds this. It's a dagger, which is the ranged variant of swords. I'll never use one until well into disc 2.

I guess that wyvern really liked that shiny.

Except it doesn't bother engaging Eldar in a 1v1, which she'd definitely lose. It beelines for the exit to cut off Synbios instead.

The baby dragon goes to continually breathe fire on Masqurin, but I have Irene sitting next to her and healing.

The animation is hardly any different; just more damage. Amusingly enough, I believe one of the criticals Ratchet gets with the shell-type weapons is called Plasma Bomb. Coincidence?

After Synbios and crew kill that last wyvern, the baby dragon just kind of fucks off and forgets about us. I'm not gonna argue.

There was a blood born that spawned all the way back at the beginning, but I never bothered to go back and pick it off. With everything else dead, I could use extra experience and gold.

And then we just clear the map.

I wonder what's happening in Flagard. If it's being attacked by the Fafhard army...

Dantares, how long until we can rendezvous with Flagard?

We certainly took a lot of time, but I remember the exit to the tunnel was located between Aspia and Flagard. If I am correct, we might still make it there in time. Let us hurry, Lord Synbios.

Short update today, since that was really just a filler fight with not much to say. Don't worry, we'll get slammed with some fun stuff soon!

NEXT TIME: It's not a JRPG without a tortured love story, right?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure you can also put the Baby Dragon to sleep, which helps a lot with this stage. I forget which rod gives it, but one of them does. It also comes in handy a bit later with another boss you don't want to kill.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Nephrite posted:

It also comes in handy a bit later with another boss you don't want to kill.
By that time you should have Hagane who has Sleep anyway.

It took me a while to do that fight last time I played, mainly because that particular boss kept waking up and I'd managed to keep myself completely safe from the main boss by having them three squares away from me and keeping them stuck behind two lesser enemies. Kept me from dying to massive amounts of one particular spell though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So can you spoil what triggers if you kill/don't kill the baby dragon? Because I'm curious now and it'll be a while before we see the payoff if it's in game 2.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lotish posted:

So can you spoil what triggers if you kill/don't kill the baby dragon? Because I'm curious now and it'll be a while before we see the payoff if it's in game 2.

Sure. It's not even a plot point, but if we let the baby dragon go free now, Medion will run into it in scenario 2. If we kill the baby dragon here, it will be replaced by a bigger, badder dragon in scenario 2. The replacement boss isn't much harder, but it does end up blocking off a cave with some nice treasures in it

Nephrite posted:

I'm pretty sure you can also put the Baby Dragon to sleep, which helps a lot with this stage. I forget which rod gives it, but one of them does. It also comes in handy a bit later with another boss you don't want to kill.

I have that wand equipped on Noon, specifically for the upcoming boss you mentioned. I never had trouble with it, personally.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Glazius posted:

A little sad that buffs don't give you a ton of XP anymore. You are wasting your turn for them, after all.

Boost farming in Shining Force 2 was a ludicrous exploit. All you needed to hit level 99 on Sheela/Karna/Sarah was to stand in formation at the beginning of a map, cast Boost 2, wait until it fell off, cast Boost 2 again, and repeat until Egress... one of your Master Monks would gain 45-49 XP for hitting 9-10 characters with Boost 2, and the other MMNK would gain 10-15 for Boost 1.

By the way, top marks for doing this LP - I still have the discs for scenarios 2 and 3 sitting next to my Saturn unplayed, maybe I'll unpack them and try to play alongside...

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 25, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Shining Force: Part 4

Elbesem monk who joined the Synbios army in Quonus village after being impressed by their will to battle Vandals.
Pros: Higher attack of the two monks, learns Support and Slow
Cons: Less MP, Support isn't as useful as Resist
Spells: Heal, Support, Slow
Support: Counter and Magic Defense Up
Thoughts: Kahn is useful and it's nice to get another secondary healer so early in the game. However, his buff spell Support is quite inferior to Irene's Resist, and his damage output is still mediocre compared to the heavy hitters like Dantares and Hayward. A useful character, but one of few healers in the Shining Force series you aren't going to miss.

Talented wizard who was cursed by the Vandal Abdark whilst training in Quonus. Freed from the Vandal's curse by the Synbios army, and joined them.
Pros: Learns Freeze, synergizes perfectly with Masqurin's support
Cons: Fragile
Spells: Freeze, Spark, Desoul
Support: Magic Up
Thoughts: On his own, Noon isn't a spectacular character. However, the fact that he and Masqurin have the same support means that if they get support levels with each other, they're an unstoppable team. I've demonstrated several times how just a rank 1 support makes them both wrecking balls, and they're up to rank 3 by now. Once they hit rank 4, the rest of the game will be trivial.

Once a member of the Edmund army, but had misgivings about Edmund's intentions, so he defected and joined the Synbios army.
Pros: Uhhh...
Cons: Not as good as Hayward in any dimension
Support: Critical Up
Thoughts: Shining Force 3 is just plain determined to break every convention of the series, and Justin is proof of that. While centaur archers are normally better than their bipedal counterparts due to having higher attack but lower defense, Justin just doesn't have much of anything going for him. In a sense, he's like Cybel in that he's not actually bad, but strictly inferior to his counterpart. The difference is that Cybel is actually good in a vacuum, whereas Justin is mediocre. Little reason to keep him around.

Gladiator previously stationed in Barrand with the Tybalt army. During the Imperial invasion, they retreated to Aspia where he joined the Synbios army.
Pros: Dorf
Cons: Dorf
Support: Defense Up
Thoughts: I don't know what differentiates Horst from Obright, other than one starts with a mace and the other starts with an axe. Useful, boring, not much to say either way.

:frogout:

Goblin engineer forced to research steam technology by Abdark in Quonus. The Synbios army freed him and he joined them to test the power armor he invented.
Pros: Ranged versatility, highly coveted support
Cons: Slow, generally mediocre stats
Support: Attack Up
Thoughts: If it weren't for the fact that Ratchet is the only character other than Synbios to get the Attack Up support, he's be completely disposable. One fun thing about him is that his anchor is an axe with 1-2 range, and he also equips shells which give him 2-3 range. Not great, but the support alone makes him worth using.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 21, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You accidentally linked instead of imaged Justin's picture. And I kind of wish that the english translation of the game had stuck with the centaur naming convention, having Justice and Chivalry on our side is pretty metal.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 23: Oh, I thought there was another dialogue happening in this update

:hist101: This is bad, General Fafhard! Synbios and his allies have just emerged from that cave!

Well, Synbios and Dantares have broken through the Baersol forces, and made it through the volcanic passage, eh? Everyone! Postpone the Flagard invasion plan for now! We must first deal with the Synbios army! If the Baersol army couldn't stop you, I shall take the pleasure of defeating you myself!

We shall protect Lord Conrad with our lives. Flagard is our homeland. We won't let Fafhard destroy it!

We are stuck between two battallions.... If we are attacked from both sides, we'll be at quite a disadvantage.

Synbios, we must approach this battle carefully, and not allow the two battalions to join forces.

So, next fight. The enemy is split to the west and east.

Towards the west are a ton of enemies that should have been retired a while ago. Cleaning out these guys is going to be no problem at all. Hell, there's two wing knights that date all the way back to chapter 3.

QED

Interestingly, if we look around the western front, we see Aspia from the other side. Quite the detour we took to get here.

To the east is the main of Fafhard's army. While the mercenaries and aspia mages there are weak by now, there's a new knight unit with a bit of HP and Fafhard himself isn't too much of a pushover. Unfortunately, his AI is going to be his demise.

This is a pretty awesome freeze frame on Cybel's rank 2 critical.

Though maybe it wasn't such a good idea. :downs:

Grace can't catch up in time and Eldar pays for my hubris. Don't think it's a big deal, since Eldar doesn't have many supports to begin with.

Masqurin gets some revenge.

And her buddy Noon finishes the cleanup.

Fafhard's real army dallies around.

Obright is happy to get the party started for them.

Because why not.

God, these early mithril weapons are loving amazing.

Trying to slowly build a support between Synbios and Ratchet. One of the annoying things about characters that come in late is that there's fewer easy fights to build points. Still, mirrored attack up supports, while not quite as awesome as mirrored magic up supports, is really good.

Things kind of break out into a huge brawl. You can see there's a wyvern in the back that takes forever to get aggressive. There was also a hydra and a hell hound somewhere, but I killed them somewhere in the quagmire.

The knight tries to play it cool after barely denting Synbios' armor.

Grace undoes the damage and picks up the next level of Heal. At this point, there's so much multi-target damage that I'd rather have Aura, but she'll be getting it soon.

:sbahj:

Fafhard decides it's time to get real.

Ummm. You're going to have to try a little bit harder than that, Fafhard. Due to not having any base elemental affinities, Fafhard's damage on Freeze 2 is nothing short of pathetic. If he were a Shining Force 2 boss, he'd be just strong enough to cast Freeze 2 and then attack somebody for a potential kill. You'd have been a better enemy in another game, Fafhard.

Once all the other enemies are cleared out, it's a process of letting Ratchet and Synbios take shots to get a support rank.

And eventually they succeed!

But not before I lost two more people due to negligence. Melt Armor is the first time we're going to see a critical skill attached to a weapon rather than to weapon ranks.

And we have access to it, if we so choose. Unfortunately, we lost Julian a long time ago and I'm not about to tank Synbios' damage by throwing a different weapon type on him. The luster blade would also boost Synbios' spell power.

No, General Fafhard.

General Fafhard, Lord Synbios is not such a monster that he would kill a man for defending his starving people.

I meant to kill Conrad, your father! Yet, you would spare my life?

This is all due to a misunderstanding that Conrad and his friends stole the wealth of this land for their own use.

Once these charges are disproved, and with loyal generals like you, the Republic can restore itself again.

Listening to your words, I now see that what you say is true, or you're a better liar than I thought.

Then why force us to fight? We could have ended this without killing one another!

When I was left in charge of Aspia, I learned of our budget problems... that we are too poor to support the populace.

A valid concern, Fafhard, one which you should address to Lord Conrad. Pass judgment after hearing his reply.

I shall do so, Dantares. I appreciate your considerate gesture!

You are Fiale, high priest of Bulzome! You killed General Fafhard! You bastard!

I should note that my emulator crashes after I finish this fight with the retranslation, so I'm playing on the original script for this scene. I really hope the new script changed this line.

Oh, I was only doing you a favor by finishing off the traitor. Did I perhaps make some wrong assumptions?

Just when we'd brought some understanding between us and had a chance at peace....

Oh dear, how sad! I seem to have intruded. Well, then I shall be on my way...

Get away from my home, you bastard!

Oh, have I not told you? I have an important appointment. I came all the way to Flagard to meet your father, the noble Lord Conrad.

And Fiale descends into Flagard.

So, Conrad has betrayed the Republic after all, just as I had originally suspected.

No! That isn't true... You have only the words of that lying snake, Fiale!

Anything for an old friend.

But you must... learn.... were my suspicions real...? Please.... If they are... in the name of the Republic... you must execute Conrad... please.

Fafhard dies. I don't think General Braff is going to be too happy about this. Or a widow he might have left behind.

So... I'm sure that there's no basis to...

Of course, there is absolutely no way that... But you are not obligated to... You don't have to listen to General Fafhard's dying ramblings!

Lord Synbios, you intend to uphold your promise to the general?

General Fafhard was loyal to the republic until the end. I intend to be the same.

I understand your determination. We shall do the same. We'd be honored to escort you there.

It's a bittersweet note, but at least the crew is home now.

Except nobody's anywhere.

Well, I guess that explains it.

:j: They have gone into the castle, so find them and pound them into the ground!

OFID Counter: 12

You didn't think I'd forgotten about that, did you?

We have returned, but the town is in terrible shape.

It's the masked monks and monsters. These monks do not praise Elbesem, but smell as if they worship darkness.

It is an evil sect called Bulzome. We've fought them many times, but didn't expect to find them here in Flagard.

The castle! Please tell us what is going on in there, Reverend!

I sent some soldiers to investigate, but the entrance is locked. there's no way to know what's going on inside.

Then we need to provide reinforcements!

Should we risk attacking the front door? That may make them open it, and we'll have a chance to get in!

That sounds like suicide, and suicide goes against the teachings of Elbesem. How about... yes, maybe that would...

Wait a minute. The Reverend is an old friend of Lord Conrad. He might remember something important.

I remember something about the castle. I recall Lord Conrad mentioned something about a symbolic secret?

Please try to remember, Reverend. This is the biggest crisis Flagard has seen since the Republican civil war!

Please forgive me. So much time has passed since Lord Conrad and I had that talk. My memory is failing me.

Just try and concentrate, Reverend. Relax and it will come to you.

Ah! Now I remember! Lord Conrad had put Republican emblems everywhere, and he was telling me that the emblem represented the Republic's goal of learning the secret to equality and harmony. He also said that an emblem held a "symbolic secret". I asked him to explain, but the only answer he would give was that the castle was involved. I'm sorry if that's too vague, that's all I remember. I'll pray for you.

It is indeed vague as hell, but there's only one thing in the town that stands out, so it's not a tough puzzle to solve. We'll get on that as soon as we take care of one more thing.

Frankly, this is a more difficult puzzle than the one we've just been tasked with. Following that weirdo in Aspia, the solution here is to push Frank into our HQ entrance.

Annoying since HQ is on the other side of the city, but simple enough.

Of course, that means it's voting time again! Frank here is a pretty terrible character – none of his stats are any good, and his only advantage is sporting 7 MOV without the crazy penalties that centaurs get. If we choose to use him, he is extremely useful in the bonus dungeons due to being fast and not accidentally ripping thieves new assholes, but that's about it.

:siren: Get voting on who should sit out! :siren:

NEXT TIME: Two orphans in as many days!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 31, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Sorry Frank, but even the BSTMN in the second generation are better than you are.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bench Dantares for Frank.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Down with dorf, up with wolf

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ratchet out, Frank in.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Ardeem posted:

Sorry Frank, but even the BSTMN in the second generation are better than you are.

Hey, Gerhalt was pretty good.

Frank can hit the bench, though.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Frank, :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

vibratingsheep posted:

Down with dorf, up with wolf

I support this vote.

• Locked thread